Motivation

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Ignius

Motivation

Post by Ignius »

What is motivation and why do some people seem to have - or develop - more of it? For instance, I'm the type of person that may watch an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie and get interested in working out and looking like that. Some research may take place, supplements purchased, gym membership, etc etc etc... And my desire keeps increasing. Next, I may even go to the gym and workout like a madman. Gains start to become noticeable in both strength and appearance. It just gets better and better, etc. However, eventually, the interest fades. Why? It makes me think that it's a memory issue, though I may repeat the whole process that made me motivated, without the same effects. I guess that it has something to do with realizing something - but what? Sure, it would take a long time to look like Arnold, even with the proper stuff (like genes, steroids, etc...).

I'm sure that we've all experienced something similar, so how do you deal with it? How do you stay motivated?
volta

Re: Motivation

Post by volta »

Since no one seems motivated to tackle this, I'll bite.

When you think of people who might be considered intellectually enlightened, do you you think of those people as highly motivated?

Or do you think solely of people (like your example - Arnie) who are motivated to other achievements involving money, power, physical health, beauty...?

By motivation, do you mean external stimuli? Or can we be motivated by our own thoughts alone, and if so, how is internal motivation of the mind any different than any other thought? Are we motivated to have thoughts? Or do we just have them?

Maybe motivation is over-rated.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

You see, it gets interesting rather quickly!
When you think of people who might be considered intellectually enlightened, do you you think of those people as highly motivated?
Of course. Or - in the least - they started out as highly motivated... I lack the motivation and that's why I'm not where I want to be. Through the help of philosophical thought (+from others), I'd like to change this. There must be something!
Or do you think solely of people (like your example - Arnie) who are motivated to other achievements involving money, power, physical health, beauty...?
I don't think that you could make such judgments about Mr. Schwarzenegger, because you really don't know whether he is or is not Enlightened. Having "stuff" doesn't mean that one is unenlightened (stuff: success, cars, goals, etc...).
By motivation, do you mean external stimuli? Or can we be motivated by our own thoughts alone, and if so, how is internal motivation of the mind any different than any other thought? Are we motivated to have thoughts? Or do we just have them?
Motivation: the pull towards, the hunger for, the life-force, etc... To attain the goal of choice (or a chosen goal). Sometimes this goal isn't consciously chosen. Perhaps, it's something that we must try to do in order to feel fulfilled, to feel happy (or satisfied), etc...

So, yeah, we know what motivation is. Now, how do we get it, and stick to it, and improve upon it? I wouldn't mind seeing a few life-stories, etc... Maybe some other resources... You know, that sort of thing.

Or, better yet, try and stick with my example for weightlifting. Brain/muscle - very similar!
Relo

Post by Relo »

Body change has to be more then motivation, evolution is a small part that ticks away, but when you said you don't understand why our motivation goes away, most likely because the input doesn't balance the output. Watching a movie which might give the strongest spark to anyone in particular won't keep the fire burning, there most likely needs to be external reasons to why you are doing what you are doing, but simplifying the questions is more useful for direct answers.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Yeah, your answer makes no sense to me. I mean, I could try and insert the reason, but then you wouldn't be saying anything that's especially meaningful to me.

There's an external and an internal. Balance is key. Thanks!

Question about motivation: why do some people seem so driven to achieve their goals, while others simply don't care? What fuels this motivation. I need to know this.
Last edited by Ignius on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

As I have said before, there is a correlation between testosterone levels and motivation.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Why would there be?
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Perhaps because testosterone causes people and animals to have drives? Consider the sex drive, for example. Don't you think it's caused by testosterone, or at least by other hormones?

Maybe you should look up "hormones", and find out what they do.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Thanks for the advice.
bert

Post by bert »

for motivation, ignius, you need SPUNK.
to begin with... LOVE YOURSELF
the cause... TIREDNESS and FEAR
AWAKE I say
de-hypnotize yourselve from the roting idioms you be-live and be-lie. the Noontide is here, the great bell has struck... let others await involuntary sacrifice, the forced redemption so certain for those coprophagists. DIG OUT YOUR MEMORIES, everything comes from what has gone before, consciousness is impact, consummation and desire - is LIFE, consiousness.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Ignius,
Question about motivation: why do some people seem so driven to achieve their goals, while others simply don't care? What fuels this motivation. I need to know this.
Many times, individuals who have more motivation are driven by an intense passion. Passion can come from many sources. For instance: if I am very passionate over philosophy or the sciences because I see how they help humanity, I might dedicate myself to that cause, and much of my motivation will be directed into that end.

Motivation is also closely related to values or priorities. Motivation changes because values or priorities change. People are mostly motivated to do what is necessary for survival because it they do not, then there is the threat of death and sickness. People are only motivated to do things which increase their changes of reproducing, so working out at the gym probably falls under that camp. However, you may lose your motivation for big muscles because it doesn’t seem or feel important enough to you. Physical health is important, but fluffing yourself up for a female is actually rather superficial and quite animal like. Perhaps that is why you lost the motivation to do that. Intelligence can destroy motivation over time.

Btw, Passion can come from very immature emotional places. For instance suppose you can play a sport better than me, and you rub it in my face on a consistent basis. Well, if I have a lot of ego, and I allow other people to affect my self-esteem with worldly achievements, then I may react with a lot of ego and emotion, vowing to outdo the other person. So my motivation is driven by passion, but it is of an inferior type.

This maybe why many individuals who achieve great 'worldly' things often have a sad story to tell, they have been bruised in the past, their egos are hurt, and highly sensitive, they feel inferior to others, and they have a score to settle with the world. These individuals are often highly motivated.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Many times, individuals who have more motivation are driven by an intense passion. Passion can come from many sources. For instance: if I am very passionate over philosophy or the sciences because I see how they help humanity, I might dedicate myself to that cause, and much of my motivation will be directed into that end.
Yeah, I agree with that. That doesn't really answer the question, though. Passionate and motivated are terms that basically describe the same thing to me. Ex. A passionate thinker is a motivated thinker. Someone having passion is said to be motivated. Being motivated is being passionate about something. Etc etc etc. That's fine and I agree with what you wrote, but my question is more about what this passion, or this drive, really is and how to produce it. For instance, let's say, you've got someone that isn't passionate about anything in particular (me), how does someone like that become passionate about something to the point where they put everything into it and produce amazing results (ex. Arnold winning 6 Mr. Olympia titles!)?
Motivation is also closely related to values or priorities.
I'd also like to help the world, become a doctor, write books, etc... I first need to change in order to meet those goals, and so, I'm wondering how I can do this. Well, after thinking, I came to the conclusion that I need to develop the motivation which is required for such an endeavor. Hence, this thread.
People are mostly motivated to do what is necessary for survival because it they do not, then there is the threat of death and sickness.
That's a very primitive way of looking at it. For instance, why would someone be motivated to become a doctor and develop a cure for cancer if there is no sudden threat? Perhaps, a loved one died from it, but there are many that have been in the same situation and decided not to pursue that goal...
People are only motivated to do things which increase their changes of reproducing, so working out at the gym probably falls under that camp.
Yes, it was that, plus, a whole bunch of things. I fell for the look, the function, the hype, etc... But it was also about being healthy and seeing how far I could take it. Also, I didn't only want to look good for the ladies, but I also wanted to look good for myself (ego thing, I suppose... But what isn't?). I also wanted to be able to lift more weight than anybody else, etc... Anyway, I'm more interested to know why and how I became so motivated (for instance, I'd spend an hour at the gym, just going crazy and pushing myself to the limit. It felt great!) and why/how did I lose it? Perhaps I became disinterested with my progress, but I don't think that my progress was the real issue. Sure, progress helps to stay motivated, but that's not all it is. For one, working out has great health benefits and it makes one feel amazing, so even if I didn't look any better or couldn't lift anymore, I'd still feel great.
However, you may lose your motivation for big muscles because it doesn’t seem or feel important enough to you.

I'm more interested in the why and how I became motivated in the first place (+how to stay motivated and/or increase the motivation, etc...). Btw, it's not about having huge muscles, it's about looking and feeling good - or better.
Physical health is important, but fluffing yourself up for a female is actually rather superficial and quite animal like.
The whole: "looking good for the ladies" was there, but at the back of my mind. However, If a lady was walking by or at the gym, I would like to give it a pump and start thrusting a little harder.
Intelligence can destroy motivation over time.
Perhaps. But what if the intelligence was the thing that got you into it? Perhaps that's what got you motivated. So, the question remains.
Btw, Passion can come from very immature emotional places. For instance suppose you can play a sport better than me, and you rub it in my face on a consistent basis. Well, if I have a lot of ego, and I allow other people to affect my self-esteem with worldly achievements, then I may react with a lot of ego and emotion, vowing to outdo the other person. So my motivation is driven by passion, but it is of an inferior type.
In that case, don't let it get you down. I'll never out-do Arnold nor would I want to, but that's not what it's about. It's about me realizing my own potential instead of someone else's.
This maybe why many individuals who achieve great 'worldly' things often have a sad story to tell, they have been bruised in the past, their egos are hurt, and highly sensitive, they feel inferior to others, and they have a score to settle with the world. These individuals are often highly motivated.
Well, I'm not highly motivated. Then again, I never really achieved any "great worldly things" (whatever that means). I did make a bunch of progress at the gym, but then I lost the passion for it.

So, the question/s still remains...

Furthermore, it's about developing thee plan...
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Ignius,
I'm more interested in the why and how I became motivated in the first place (+how to stay motivated and/or increase the motivation, etc...). Btw, it's not about having huge muscles, it's about looking and feeling good - or better.
It was an emotional response, you felt like you wanted to achieve what another achieved, but the feeling didn’t last. You desired what you observed, but the desire eventually faded away. That is the nature of desire, it is fleeting, and often contradictory.

If you want to stay motivated to do something to which you believe in. Use, logic and desire rather than relying solely on the inconsistency of desire. For instance:

1. Perhaps you see some goal that you wish you attain.
2. You rank it higher than all other priorities that you have at that time.
3. You logically deduce that this pursuit is worth investing time in over any other pursuit.
4. you work towards it, motivated by the logical necessity of the thing in question, not relying on consistent desire in the background to keep you going.
5. Even keep the goal on the top of your to do list, regardless of how you feel about it, because as long as you can logically deduce that it is important, then that should keep you going.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Ignius wrote:Well, I'm not highly motivated. Then again, I never really achieved any "great worldly things" (whatever that means). I did make a bunch of progress at the gym, but then I lost the passion for it.
Fuck the "great worldly things."

First, let's start with the workout thing. Exercise is subject to the law of diminishing returns. There is a huge difference between never working out and working out moderately. As you dedicate more time and energy, you get more results, but proportionately less the more you expend.

The concept is really pretty simple. Most people cannot run a mile, for example. With a little training, they would be able to. With considerably more, they might even have good times in the mile. But no amount of training will get you across the finish line in under three minutes. There are inherent physical limitations.

The same is true with body building. Your genetics determine where the wall is. But after a while, you reach a dynamic equilibrium between the effort you put in and he results you notice. It's only natural.

Varying your routine can help you stay interested. It works for me. I am in it for the health benefits, not the appearance, since genetics have kept me out of GQ. Right now I do not need motivation, since it is harder not to go to the gym than it is to go. Once I am there, I will find something to do. If you pay attention to your body, you get all the reward you need, because it feels good to exercise!

"Great worldly things" are pipe dreams. Most people never get near them, and many who have wish they had not.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Brokenhead,
The concept is really pretty simple. Most people cannot run a mile, for example. With a little training, they would be able to. With considerably more, they might even have good times in the mile. But no amount of training will get you across the finish line in under three minutes. There are inherent physical limitations.
I agree with that, but we don't know what those inherent physical limitations are. For instance, if the world's greatest athlete never realized his gift and sat on his a**, then that potential would still be there, only he wouldn't know it. The same can also be said for someone that has the desire, but doesn't have the desired genes. Usually, the person that succeeds is the person with the desire, the passion, etc...
"Great worldly things" are pipe dreams. Most people never get near them, and many who have wish they had not.
How depressing... :(

I'd bet that a lot of people would rather try and fail, then to not try and never fail.
Varying your routine can help you stay interested. It works for me. I am in it for the health benefits, not the appearance, since genetics have kept me out of GQ.
Who knows? ...Perhaps one day you'll become more motivated and realize the GQ pipe dream.
Right now I do not need motivation, since it is harder not to go to the gym than it is to go. Once I am there, I will find something to do. If you pay attention to your body, you get all the reward you need, because it feels good to exercise!
If I had a gym membership, then I might become more motivated. I think I remember what happened, now -> I started drinking and I'd go to the gym while being slightly drunk. It ended because I had suffered an injury, and I never got back into it, because by the time my injury had healed, I had lost most of my gains. *Sniff* - It was like watching a balloon deflate... *Waaa...*

Ryan Rudolph,
It was an emotional response, you felt like you wanted to achieve what another achieved, but the feeling didn’t last. You desired what you observed, but the desire eventually faded away. That is the nature of desire, it is fleeting, and often contradictory.
We could also say that life is fleeting and often contradictory. That's why I don't want to waste it by living like this (whatever). It's hard to change, because I've gotten used to being lazy and thinking: "there's always tomorrow..." - So much for fleeting!
If you want to stay motivated to do something to which you believe in. Use, logic and desire rather than relying solely on the inconsistency of desire. For instance:

1. Perhaps you see some goal that you wish you attain.
2. You rank it higher than all other priorities that you have at that time.
3. You logically deduce that this pursuit is worth investing time in over any other pursuit.
4. you work towards it, motivated by the logical necessity of the thing in question, not relying on consistent desire in the background to keep you going.
5. Even keep the goal on the top of your to do list, regardless of how you feel about it, because as long as you can logically deduce that it is important, then that should keep you going.
That's something I'd get out of a "steps to motivate yourself" book. I already know that, yet I still don't feel anymore motivated. I've become lazy; I don't want to do the work, but I want to reap the benefits of that work (if I were to go through with it). I know what I need to do. I need to work out a strict plan/schedule, but now I'm obsessed with developing thee plan, so that I don't waste too much time on the work. It's about working smartly and getting closer to your goal in half the time. Makes sense, but then you risk planning without the doing, and therefore, in that case, it may have been better to not plan while doing and get somewhere rather than nowhere.

So, what is motivation and how do you attain it? - it almost seems like you need some motivation to become motivated. Hah!

I would think that focus and concentration are key. Picking up an instrument, for ex., and it becoming your life - Now that's what I call motivation!

GET OFF YOUR A**!!! (message to myself)