The Genius of Strauss' Music

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Eric Schiedler

The Genius of Strauss' Music

Post by Eric Schiedler »

Canadian piano prodigy Glenn Gould said of composer Richard Strauss' work:

"It presents and substantiates an argument which transcends all the dogmatisms of art - all questions of style and taste and idiom - all the frivolous effete proccupations of the chronologist. It presents to us an example of the man who makes richer his own time by not being of it, who speaks for all generations by being of none. It is an ultimate argument of individuality - the argument that a man can create his own synthesis of time without being bound by the conformities that time imposes."

Genius is the mind unborn, and thus nothing can be said of it that has any distinctions or contrasts lest there be diminishment. The act of a man of genius, what is perceived as the product of genius, is a gesture pointing to immortality, to itself.
jufa

Re: The Genius of Strauss' Music

Post by jufa »

Surely the words of Glenn Gould are acknowledged here, for "In the dimension of time, invention of man's reality, regardless of fears loneliness, guilt, or whatever reason ascribe is duplicitous. . .to create there must be a vision, a blueprint." And "when a blueprint is handed to us in our dreams unconsciously, or conscious moments, the source which presents it to us has seen the total definition in order to lay down the printed plan.

Allow to example. We are given the capacity to think, but do not know how we become respectable to receive, nor understand what prompts us to make manifest of that received. To the individual musician, or writer, the revelation is given only to them, but what if it was given to the 5 billion people on the earth at the same time, would they all display what the musician of writer displayed? No, for each conscious receptor is unique, and design what is apropos to them. They invent their reality from their individual outer objective vision, and inner subjective feelings in agreement to their receptivity and conscious trend. This is what makes each individual unique," and " without being bound by the conformities [sic] that time imposes."

Quote herein are from the topic originator and jufa.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

I have never listened to Strauss until today. After reading your post, I decided to listen to some on youtube. Do you have any suggestions concerning which compositions of his I should listen to?
a gutter rat looking at stars
Eric Schiedler

Post by Eric Schiedler »

Glostik91 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:26 pm I have never listened to Strauss until today. After reading your post, I decided to listen to some on youtube. Do you have any suggestions concerning which compositions of his I should listen to?
"Also Sprach Zarathustra, OP. 30" is Strauss' tone poem inspired by Nietzsche's book with a similar title. It is yet still approachable because it reflects Nature.

When trying to listen to any timeless work, it may help to train the ear or the mind. While it is possible to go straight to the timeless masterpieces, in music it may help to listen to classical music after Beethoven.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Afraid I haven't graduated far past the Baroque, Beethoven being a guilty pleasure now and then.

One of the best pieces of music ever written: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UiHxqLTYtc

(It's difficult to find a good rendition. This is one of the better ones. There are numerous intolerable ones on youtube.)
a gutter rat looking at stars