In the News

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Katy

Post by Katy »

Jamesh wrote:Sports I think the US doesn't play much

Netball - girly basketball
Australian Rules Football - aerial ping pong
Rugby League - idiot football using hands
Rugby Union - schoolboy warring
Hockey??? (not ice hockey -we don't have any)
We have field hockey?
-Katy
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

So I would have thought a Kite Festival would be pretty harmless. But I guess not in Pakistan.
DHodges

Sport(s)

Post by DHodges »

Katy wrote:We have field hockey?
In the U.S., field hockey is a sport played pretty much exclusively by high school girls, while in Australia it's something you would actually see on television.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Cory Duchesne wrote:So I would have thought a Kite Festival would be pretty harmless. But I guess not in Pakistan.
Cory, do you really believe that was an actual news story? Here is a quote from your link:
Tragedy was averted in Jacksonville, Florida, when the locations for the Anorexia Convention and The Sara Lee Poisoned Food Taste Test were accidentally switched.
Would Sara Lee actually hold a poisoned food taste test? Now look at the title of the site: Something Awful; The Internet Makes You Stupid. Cory, it's a parody site.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:
Cory Duchesne wrote:So I would have thought a Kite Festival would be pretty harmless. But I guess not in Pakistan.
Cory, do you really believe that was an actual news story?
Yes, unfortunately it was.
Here is a quote from your link:

Tragedy was averted in Jacksonville, Florida, when the locations for the Anorexia Convention and The Sara Lee Poisoned Food Taste Test were accidentally switched.
Yes, after presenting the actual news story, they then proceed to invent fictional ones that are far more ludicrous - perhaps to accentuate the stupidity of the non-fictional action.

It's akin to how Diogones handled a man who asked Diogenes to give him one of his books.

"You really are a silly fellow," said Diogenes. "Surely you wouldn't have painted figs instead of real ones. And yet you pass over the genuine practice of wisdom and would be satisfied with what is merely written."

Of course, nobody tried to paint figs in order to pass them off as real ones - - - but he fabricated such a fiction in order to use it as a parodical analogy - to accentuate the the stupidity of the non-fiction.
Would Sara Lee actually hold a poisoned food taste test?

I wouldn't think so.
Now look at the title of the site: Something Awful; The Internet Makes You Stupid. Cory, it's a parody site.
Hastily jumping to false conclusions makes you stupid as well.

Here's the actual article
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Cory wrote:
Here's the actual article
What is wrong with the Arab genome anyway? It must be all those American radioactive bombs in the mid-eastern deserts causing all sorts of mal-adaptive mutations in the population.

When you first told me this story, I assumed you were exaggerating for comic affect, but after reading the article myself, I was blown away by the idiotic absurdity of the people as a whole…

So many cartoony ways to unwittingly kill yourself in accidents, I felt like I was reading about a loony tunes roadrunner cartoon!
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Yeah, it's understandable that Elizabeth believed the story was fiction, especially as it was presented on the SA site. It sounds pretty outlandish - sharpened kite strings to undercut other kites - - electrocutions, people falling off buildings....

The mentality of the people is very cartoon like. If we want to bite into the apple of genetic explanations - aside from your radiation theory ;) I'm guessing the extreme Islamic ideology established long ago set into motion a natural selection that produced a differentiated gene pool, one a bit more succeptible to thoughtless impulsivity and fanatacism.
Tomas

Re: Terrorism

Post by Tomas »

[quote="DHodges"]Apparently al Qaeda does take responsibility for the 9/11 attacks, and is promising more to come

warboys

Old men, warboys wishing Winnie was still in power
Caught and wrapped up their memories in a paper flower
It's hard to believe they were killing machines
Wanting to tell me what they've seen

This time it's war, boys, this ain't a drill
You learn to shoot now learn how to kill...

The sky was black with birds and the fields were red
And the boys marched through the flowers, counting their dead
And they wrote it down as a lesson to be learned
Will you feel proud when they call you up and shoot you down...
This time it's war, boys...

Pictures of war in a small town cinema, propaganda, lies,
Money well spent, a gift from the government,
Paying those boys to die...
A hole in the sand with the eye in the sky
And the sun to tan your hide,
You'll be so cold when they're sending you home
Wrapped in a body bag...
This time it's war, boys...

Old men, warboys, wishing they could see their friends
Shining up their decorations, and paying their respects
It's hard to forget, when you've lived so long
It's hard to forgive, just to let it go...
War, boys, this ain't a drill...
You've learned to shoot now, learn how to kill...

Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

The descent into an ant-like society begins.

'Women's town' to put men in their place
April 27, 2007 - 9:44AM

Chinese tourism authorities are seeking investment to build a novel concept attraction - the world's first "women's town", where men get punished for disobedience, an official said on Thursday.

The 2.3-square-kilometre Longshuihu village in the Shuangqiao district of Chongqing municipality, also known as "women's town", was based on the local traditional concept of "women rule and men obey", a tourism official told Reuters.

"Traditional women dominate and men have to be obedient in the areas of Sichuan province and Chongqing, and now we are using it as an idea to attract tourists and boost tourism," the official, surname Li, said by telephone.

The tourism bureau planned to invest between 200 million yuan ($31.2 million) and 300 million yuan in infrastructure, roads and buildings, Li said.

"We welcome investors from overseas and nationwide to invest in our project," he added.

The motto of the new town would be "women never make mistakes, and men can never refuse women's requests", Chinese media have reported.

When tour groups enter the town, female tourists would play the dominant role when shopping or choosing a place to stay, and a disobedient man would be punished by "kneeling on an uneven board" or washing dishes in restaurant, media reports said.

The project, begun in the end of 2005, was expected to take three to five years to finish.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

What a disgusting idea. Not because women would be the decision makers, but because men would be punished.
- Scott
sue hindmarsh

'Women's town'

Post by sue hindmarsh »

A whole town of Dominatrices! Some folk will think they have died and gone to heaven.

sue hindmarsh

Dog poo no more!

Post by sue hindmarsh »

A Dutch firm claims to have eliminated the problem of dog poo by creating a dog food that leaves almost no waste.

Developers Jos van der Linden and Nanette Waldorp say 90% of the food, called Energique, is absorbed into the dog's body. They claim remaining 10% comes out the other end as a smell-free dry pellet that can be picked up by hand in a tissue.

According to research by the University of Utrecht, a dog will normally need to go three times a day, but with Energique it only needs to go once a week.

--

Sounds like a great idea. But...I'd need to know if it caused any other health issues before I fed it to a dog.

I wonder if they will soon have a version of the food fit for human consumption. Could make treating recycled water easier.

--
keenobserver

Gere in India

Post by keenobserver »

You no doubt have seen it. Actor Richard Gere assaulting and mauling with a hug and kiss an Indian actress there on a live stage. She and her country were so offended that some judge has issued a warrant for his arrest.
I hope they get him.
That's all we needed here in the great USA, one more reason to be hated, one more country putting us on their black list.
Clap,clap,clap.
What a dick head.
The actor, not the judge.
What a typically arrogant american fool. My world is full of them.
I'm no Indian but still I was kind of shocked to see it. If he wasnt drunk I can only conclude he's much dumber than he appears to be.
Everyday that passes I'm more ashamed to call myself an American. Our disgusting immoral ways keep spilling out of this country into wiser lands. And the world has had enough I reckon.
How do you punish and correct someone with umpteen million nuke bombs and plenty of feminine fools willing to blast them?
That's the question many are asking.
I can tell you Americans are not a happy lot. We are never rich enough or have big enough houses or win enough. We treat each other like shit, unless we have something to loose for doing so. We are a superstitious bunch, and strive to obey our mothers as God himself.
I can tell you we worry alot, because we seem to have lost control of our government and we realize our politicians are no longer noble great men with noble great aspirations.
I hope and recommend that actress' brothers pay some greedy americans to beat the shit out of him. They should have done so before he left India.
What a lame excuse he posted, not really accepting responsibility or apologizing, learned well from our lawyers and polits. I've never liked the guy personaaly, now I know why.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jps0nOPhjxM

This is offensive?

Keenobserver, are you a Muslim?

Your views amaze me! I don't even know what to say.
- Scott
keenobserver

Post by keenobserver »

I havent checked that site (yet) but from what i saw on tv you could, i could just about read that actress' mind "what is this idiot doing to me! in front of all these people? this is going to ruin my reputation! people are going to think i've been bedding this ignorant fool! why wont he stop! cant he see i'm stiffening up and that i keep turning my face away! dreading a kiss! Oh my god, now he's bending me over again, soon as i get off this stage Im calling dad and have his judge friend clear my name and reinstate my honor by filing some charges against this American pig!!!"

yup, thats how i read it.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Instead of putting your own skewed view over things, you should actually look into what is happening. She wasn't pissed about it.

You still didn't answer my question - are you a Muslim?
- Scott
keenobserver

Post by keenobserver »

Women do that nervous laugh sometimes to minimize the effect or in this case possible damage, it does not mean she loved it.
Notice how she pulled her hand away and used it to come in between his embrace; not taking the cue the idiot presses on in. Fearing the abnoxious fool might actually kiss her on the lips as he had on the hand she very quickly turns her head right, to realize he's merely wispering something in her ear it seems, she pets him on the back a bit for the audience's sake, as if he's her little brother or pet lhama not a romantic thing, then realizing he's not finished yet swings her head to the microphone side to maintain repore with the crowds and ensure no one thinks her mouth is on his then the laugh and if essential more words to downplay the offensive display.
I would order 25 hard lashes and flip a bird to any one who objects, if those Indians had any balls they would have grapped him already.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Why won't you answer my question? Since you won't answer, I'll suspect that you ARE a Muslim.

I agree that women will laugh nervously in such a situation and that it was an invasion of her personal space....but it's not THAT big of a deal. Yeah, he might deserve an ass kicking by her brother or something, MAYBE, if her brother is a dickhead. But to get the courts involved and have people burning effigies of Gere...this is just ridiculous.

You want to lash him 25 times...do you really think kissing a woman on the cheek deserves that kind of punishment? If so, you're an absolute moron.

You MUST be a Muslim to harbor such insane beliefs.
- Scott
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

By the way, she issued a statement saying something to the effect of: stop paying attention to a few pecks on the cheek and focus on the issue of the event, AIDS awareness.
- Scott
keenobserver

Post by keenobserver »

Very womanly of her and no surprise to those in the know.
Setting herself up to avoid responsibility and blame for an action she may have set into motion, or at least supported.
Pure (feminine)-genius!
Nearly every male alive falls for it 99% of the time, and why women mistakenly believe they are wiser than men.

In truth they are smarter than men, men who think with the little head not the big one, most men that is.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Are you okay?
- Scott
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Wow a 500 megabtye picture of the Carina nebula

"That picture I posted above does not do the original justice at all. I’ve extracted some highlights below, but you should really do yourself a favor and grab the high-res version of the image and scan across it. If your machine can hack it, try the 200 Mb version. If you happen to have a Cray lying around, then why waste your time with the kid’s stuff? Grab the 500 Mb image! Or, better, you can take a look at a copy safely stored on a computer in Europe, and zoom, pan, and scan to your heart’s delight."

badastronomy

Space sure is amazing. I'll bet many atomic forms end up being similar to the range of forms in space.

http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/html/opo0328a.html
keenobserver

Post by keenobserver »

Not again! Halloway, that long dead woman screewing guys in Aruba last year, is back in the news.
Here's a good example of how incredibly twisted and selfiish welltodo americans are.
The measure of effort and cost employed in seeking after this one dead american princess has been tremendous. One dead american female is truely more important and deserving to the hundreds of people freely assisting in this fiasco than thousands of living americans, many of which who gave their limbs and risked their freedom and lives to give the deceased blonde princess the privilege to have a hareem and live the good life, short as it was. That money and labor could have put many homeless in homes and relieve the suffering of many of the living.
Used to be one woman = one man.
Now one dead woman >than 1,000 live men!
These spoiled rich types are so accustomed to getting their way that they cant bear the thought of not nailing someone, anyone, for the loss of their daughter. So they reopen the case just before the matter is put to sleep forever.
And it may have been an accident or her own fault! She simply may have drowned. But who in the know is willing to say so. Of course not, since her rich relatives will find a way to blame and punish them for not protecting her. No matter that she was an adult, american women never loose the privilege of childhood when convenient, as well as all the rights of adults once 18.
No wonder so many fags want their balls chopped and turned into females.
If I wrote about the USA's evils, insanity and injustice toward its own people primarily men and the poor, for 24 hours a day that would never cover it.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

An Oz centric comment I liked from another forum.

A capitalist cheerleader said: maybe workers should stop winging & buy a business

To which someone replied:
"Yep.. they could buy a franchise cleaning toilets like Peter Reith envisaged. But, then they'd probably be undercut on contracts by someone who has brought in a heap of socalled "skilled" worker ants from offshore using the other tool of employee kneecapping, the so called skilled worker visas.

Howard is engaged in a class war and is rigidly determined to finally do what Menzies tried to do and failed; destroy the ALP by destroying the unions. Every aspect of Howard's policies seeks to turn Australia back to the class rules of the old Menzies era. He's done it with education, health and now employment, plus if he has his way we'll end up the poorest nation in the region, no industry, deviod of smart country tag, silly a digger of holes on a flat dry continent with no water. Next thing you know, he'll be selling scrap iron to al Queda, just as his hero did to the Japs.

Let us not forget, Australia was one of the most industrialised countries at the end of WW2 and Menzies turned most of it off, because it didn't suit 'other' people he considered more important than his fellow Australians. And just like Howard, he never invested anything meaningful into the development of Australia. The Snowy Scheme was something he was locked into by the Chifley Government. Otherwise, he waited for the wool to grow, and committed us to wars with no end, while watching cricket. Howard has pursued the same lack of vision. That vision sees us forever buying back our own bright ideas. ideas that have to go elsewhere to be realised, and buying back the refined product of our ever diminishing resources. But you will get an election bribe in the form of a tax cut for sure, but it won't be indexed and will evapourate within a year."