The Real Climate Debate

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Diebert van Rhijn

The Real Climate Debate

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

The real rebate is between two groups:

1. A confident, non-political group that believes technology, informed investments, rational decision making, and the use of the best scientific information will lead to a solution of the global warming issue. An optimistic group that sees global warming as a technical problem with technical solutions. I will refer to these folks as the ACT group (Apolitical/Confident/Technical)

2. A group, mainly on the political left, that is highly partisan, anxious and often despairing, self-righteous, big on blame and social justice, and willing to attack those that disagree with them. They often distort the truth when it serves their interests. They also see social change as necessary for dealing with global warming, requiring the very reorganization of society. I call these folks the ASP group (Anxious, Social-Justice, Partisan).
-- full blog entry
-- by Clifford F. Mass, professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Washington.

Anyone wants to join the first group?
visheshdewan050193

Re: The Real Climate Debate

Post by visheshdewan050193 »

Republicans who are on board with climate change typically skew young (Generation X and millenials).

I don't give much credence to the ACT group except for those who have skin into *real* promising solutions, their 'stoic' or optimistic solidity is just another a facet of human nature, similar to the neuroticism of the ASP group. Outwardly ACT seems better, but not because they are intrinsically better or preferable. Perhaps the ASPs would be different if they were grounded in the Infinite.

What's dismal is the apparent lack of concerted co-ordination between multiple parties, but maybe that's just my skewed perception from being an outsider. However, most of the people I know in research and industry working on these issues skew as left-leaning moderates or liberals.
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 am

1. A confident, non-political group that believes technology, informed investments, rational decision making, and the use of the best scientific information will lead to a solution of the global warming issue. An optimistic group that sees global warming as a technical problem with technical solutions. I will refer to these folks as the ACT group (Apolitical/Confident/Technical)

2. A group, mainly on the political left, that is highly partisan, anxious and often despairing, self-righteous, big on blame and social justice, and willing to attack those that disagree with them. They often distort the truth when it serves their interests. They also see social change as necessary for dealing with global warming, requiring the very reorganization of society. I call these folks the ASP group (Anxious, Social-Justice, Partisan).
-- full blog entry
-- by Clifford F. Mass, professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Washington.

In Australia, we have a chunk of population connected to the coal industry, that dont want change. They are "highly partisan, anxious and often despairing, self-righteous, big on blame [and social justice], and willing to attack those that disagree with them. They often distort the truth when it serves their interests."
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 am

-- full blog entry

I'm already in the first group, not based on 'cheery' optimism, but because I am aware that the logical aspect of the conscious causality is driven to survive and technology, where most of the jobs are, belongs to the logical drive. It could be said that the issues of climate change were formed by Nature as a way to increase the drive of logical thought to be caused.
Vishnesh: Perhaps the ASPs would be different if they were grounded in the Infinite.
By default, because they are emotionally driven (they perceive Other), ASP's are not grounded in the infinite.

Infinite thinkers, by contrast, are not distracted by false thoughts of 'other', instead they are ever seeking new opportunities to cause forms. Solving the issues of climate change is an ideal opportunity for form-making. This is why logical thinkers belong to the ACT group (i.e., they act 'purely' - as if of One Mind).
Vishesh: What's dismal is the apparent lack of concerted co-ordination between multiple parties, but maybe that's just my skewed perception from being an outsider. However, most of the people I know in research and industry working on these issues skew as left-leaning moderates or liberals.
An example of ASP, deluded other-thinking. Check out your language: dismal, multiple parties, skewed, outsider, left-leaning, moderates, liberals.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Rhett wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:21 pm In Australia, we have a chunk of population connected to the coal industry, that dont want change. They are "highly partisan, anxious and often despairing, self-righteous, big on blame [and social justice], and willing to attack those that disagree with them. They often distort the truth when it serves their interests."
Yep, you're right. Moreover, this chunk is a large chunk (around 35-40% of the population) that is almost exclusively right-wing.

The current right-wing government, headed by Scott Morrison, looks to be entirely comprised of climate change deniers with, as you say, strong connections to the fossil fuel industry and loudly supported by the Murdoch press (The Australian, The Courier Mail, Sky News, and a multitude of gutter tabloids). Day after day, this powerful anti-science conglomerate at the center of our society is loudly belittling anyone and everyone who expresses concerns for the environment and even discussing ways to legally persecute them in more severe ways.

This is why children are taking to the streets. They can see what the adults are doing. They can see them sticking their heads in the sand and vacantly pretending there is not a problem. No wonder they are getting frightened and desperate. For them, it's like being stuck in a sci-fi horror movie. Everyone around them seems to acting like a stepford wife.

Even those who accept the science are often no better. On numerous occasions people have told me straight to my face. "What do I care? I'll be dead soon, so it won't affect me." And these are the very same people who like to regale with you with pride about how fantastic their children and grandchildren are. It's insane. These people are insane. They are being vacuous, callous and irresponsible, and their children and grandchildren know it.

So when Greta Thunberg cries angrily at the adult world, "How dare you!", they all know exactly how she feels. I know exactly how she feels.

Anyway, reading through his blog article, it is plainly obvious that Clifford Mass has no problem lying through his teeth and being willfully deceptive in all possible ways. For example:
Clifford Mass wrote:The real rebate is between two groups:

There is no better way to see the profound difference between these two groups than to watch a video of the testimony of young activists at the recent House Hearing on Climate Change, which included Greta Thunberg, Jamie Margolin, Vic Barrett, and Benji Backer.

Jamie Margolin of Seattle talked about an apocalyptic future, with "corporations making billions" while they destroy the future of her generation. Of feeling fear and despair. Of a planet where the natural environment is undergoing collapse, where only a few years are left before we pass the point of no return, and where only a massive political shift can fix things, including the Green New Deal. Watch her testimony to see what I mean.
Mass is here being deceitful in the extreme. It isn't just frightened school children sounding the alarm. It is virtually the entire scientific community; it is world-class institutes such as the UN, NASA, the Pentagon, and many of the world's central banks. Even the financial industry is getting on board, such as Goldman Sachs. All the serious-minded people of the world are finally wakening up to the reality of what is happening, albeit still far too slowly.

The only people holding out are the right-wing nutjobs and ideologues who are so blinkered and obsessed with their culture wars that they can't see anything else. Unfortunately, they are the ones who are in power at the moment and who are still determined to be the loudest.

Clifford Mass wrote:And yes, there is President Trump. Much of what he says on climate change is simply nonsensical, and quite frankly he is not part of the debate. Republicans in Congress do not follow his lead. But he is a convenient foil for the ASP folks, who use him for their own purposes.
As pointed out in the commentary section in that blog, this is patently untrue. Republicans are still, even to this day, consistently voting en masse for anti-environmental measures and regulations - such as new gas and oil projects, new drilling explorations in environmentally sensitive areas, the rolling back of anti-pollution measures, etc. As this article explains, they are still a long, long way from even beginning to take the issue seriously.

Clifford Mass wrote:In many ways, the ASP group appears to be a religious movement, not unlike the many millennialist movements of the past. As other groups in the past, they predict an apocalyptic future (including fire and brimstone!) and that one must "believe" in their viewpoint or be rejected as a "denier." The ASP folks have a holy viewpoint that comes from authority (they claim based on the views of 97% of scientists). There is no debate allowed, the science is "settled." Sounds like religious dogma.
And so there you have it. A scientist openly and shamelessly equating scientific consensus with religious dogma. Oh my, what degenerative times we live in.

Normally, in times past, when a scientist disagreed with the scientific consensus, he would roll up his sleeves and set about trying to create an alternative theory that was compelling and supported by serious evidence, and he would submit his theory to peer-review and have it assessed on its intellectual merits. If it was compelling enough, his alternative theory would be adopted by the scientific community. And if not, he would have to go back to the drawing board.

But no, in these more enlightened times, he doesn't have to do any of that. All he has to do nowadays is whip up some half-arsed blog filled with ad-hominems and specious reasonings, and then sit back and bask in the glory of being called a brave maverick by a low-quality, lo-info cheer squad. This is what passes for intrepid, ground-breaking science nowadays.

Clifford Mass, a 67 year-old scientist, who will never achieve real scientific acclaim, who will never win a Nobel Prize, who will probably not even be cited by other scientists in the future, whose work is probably already forgotten by all those who matter, has decided to betray his calling as a scientist and indeed the whole scientific establishment for the sake of some short-term, local notoriety on the internet. What a guy.

Anyway, I can't be bothered addressing the rest of the article. It is just a woeful piece of work from beginning to end.

Diebert asks:
The bottom line is, both groups are needed. We need people to work on the solutions (technological and otherwise) and we need people to keep sounding the alarm (because too many people are still asleep). I don't see the reason for bashing the second group. If you are genuinely concerned about the state of the environment, then you would want people to keep sounding the alarm.
visheshdewan050193

Infinite thinkers, by contrast, are not distracted by false thoughts of 'other', instead they are ever seeking new opportunities to cause forms. Solving the issues of climate change is an ideal opportunity for form-making. This is why logical thinkers belong to the ACT group (i.e., they act 'purely' - as if of One Mind).
Lol Pam, you're at risk of sounding like a broken tape recorder stuck in a resonating chamber. I invite you to expand on what you mean by 'false thoughts of the other' and why 'causing new forms' is a better alternative.
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

visheshdewan050193 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:10 pm
Pam: Infinite thinkers, by contrast, are not distracted by false thoughts of 'other', instead they are ever seeking new opportunities to cause forms. Solving the issues of climate change is an ideal opportunity for form-making. This is why logical thinkers belong to the ACT group (i.e., they act 'purely' - as if of One Mind).
Lol Pam, you're at risk of sounding like a broken tape recorder stuck in a resonating chamber. I invite you to expand on what you mean by 'false thoughts of the other' and why 'causing new forms' is a better alternative.
I could easily be wrong, having just started interacting here again, but i will say that my first impression is to let Pam work through what she is working through.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

visheshdewan050193 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:10 pm
My pleasure.

If I was to use Jungian thought (I was a dabbler 25 years ago, great stuff!) to bring the idea of the false sense of 'other' home I would reference his archetype of the Self. From wiki: "The Self in Jungian psychology is one of the Jungian archetypes, signifying the unification of consciousness and unconsciousness in a person, and representing the psyche as a whole." In wisdom texts, the archetype of Self is often referred to as the View of the Witness, which if related to Jungian thought would represent the archetype that 'saves' the fragmented shadow personality. In Christianity, it would be the Christ, in Buddhism it would be the Buddha.

From wiki re the shadow archetype: "The shadow is a representation of the personal unconscious as a whole and usually embodies the compensating values to those held by the conscious personality." In relation to the OP in this thread (and I dare say all threads relating to the dividing of the Self into right and left and centre), it is the shadow archetype that values the climate.

Okay, onto the making of forms. Note I did not use the adjective 'new', an important distinction. From the perspective of the Self, new and old don't apply. Form-making is the task or way of consciousness for every archetype, including the Self. Of course, the types of forms made by the shadow that values this view in conflict with that view are different than those make by the Self that values the relative nature of all formed views, but form-making is US as consciousness, there is no avoiding the making of forms.

If I sound like a broken tape recording stuck in a resonating chamber, I believe this perception arises because of my identification with the Self . What can the Self say about this or that view except that ultimately, if wholeness is to be realized, every view is to be reconciled/unified. I realize the self appears to be a lot more interesting than the Self, after all, it is conflict, not unification that is interesting. It is my experience that the shadow self fears the coming of the wholeness of the Self.

Is my INFP type showing? :-)
visheshdewan050193

@Pam,

So in light of what you wrote, could you expand on what you mean by "Infinite thinkers are not distracted by false thoughts of 'other', instead they are ever seeking new opportunities to cause forms."

about the INFP bit, yes I had my suspicions lol.

I've always been under the impression for the 'Self' archetype to be something akin to Deus Ex Machina from the Matrix Trilogy, but that's probably because I've always been attracted to the notion of anatta in Buddhism that I picked up before my time on GF.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

visheshdewan050193 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:11 pm @Pam,

So in light of what you wrote, could you expand on what you mean by "Infinite thinkers are not distracted by false thoughts of 'other', instead they are ever seeking new opportunities to cause forms."

about the INFP bit, yes I had my suspicions lol.

I've always been under the impression for the 'Self' archetype to be something akin to Deus Ex Machina from the Matrix Trilogy, but that's probably because I've always been attracted to the notion of anatta in Buddhism that I picked up before my time on GF.
I'll start with anatta in relation to my notion of Self and move onto my explanation of logical thinkers in light of what I wrote.

Because consciousness cannot see or know its cause as object or objects (anatta realized) obviously, like all analyzed models of reality, Jung's archetypal model is suggestive, arriving more as a fluid/structured Grand Play that explains reality than as anything to be followed or adhered to. Based on your posts to date, I believe you realize this and understand my story of Pam-as-Self in that light.

Having said this, the Grand Play of transient formations is all we have. As I see it, those who are enlightened realize their thoughts are transient appearances (that there is no existent self) with the Self (also a transient appearance) representing the One in-the-know. At first, it seems contradictory to use the term Self after realizing the truth of anatta, but one of the truths within the truth of anatta is that language, by default, requires the appearance of a subtle sense of self. So, as long as the one using the concept 'self' understands that it arises with language, the drive or will to conceptualize, there is no danger of falling into the trap of 'self-as-a-thing'.

In light of what i have written, what do I mean by "Infinite thinkers are not distracted by false thoughts of 'other', instead they are ever seeking new opportunities to cause forms?" What I mean is that because infinite thinkers intuit (or consciously realize) anatta and impermanence, they are not distracted by form because they are not attached to form - they don't think 'other' - instead, they focus on the thinking/appearing process itself. Consider the Grand Play of climate change: one who focuses on the emotional aspect - how dreadful it is, how frightening it is, how dismal it is, blaming this person or that person - block themselves off from finding logical solutions (clear patterns of causality). In Diebert's above scenario, the ACT group finds solutions because they have faith in the infinite causality, whereas the ASP group does not.

It is not easy to let go of our emotional attachment to the relative appearance of things, but isn't that what wisdom of anatta and impermanence asks of us?
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

David Quinn: We need people to work on the solutions (technological and otherwise) and we need people to keep sounding the alarm (because too many people are still asleep). I don't see the reason for bashing the second group. If you are genuinely concerned about the state of the environment, then you would want people to keep sounding the alarm.
What is needed in this world of persistent alarm sounding is calming, not more alarm sounding. And by calming, I am not referring to a numbing of one's faculties, rather, of attaining to that enlightened, quiet listening mode where insight can arise clearly arise so focused action can be taken. Isn't the real issue behind the climate issue the issue of not paying attention? And how do we pay attention if buttons of anxiety and fear are being pushed? Have you ever heard the story of Henny Penny/Chicken Little? If not, check it out.

Sorry, while I believe I understand why you believe it is necessary to 'keep sounding the alarm', I do not reason this view to be an enlightened one. The proof is in the pudding, of course, so although I have not experienced alarm-sounding as being a fruitful way to engage wisdom, perhaps you have...???
Diebert van Rhijn

David Quinn wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:29 pm And so there you have it. A scientist openly and shamelessly equating scientific consensus with religious dogma. Oh my, what degenerative times we live in.
You must have missed the finer point again as I was quoting a leading climate scientist who supports the "scientific consensus". Otherwise it wouldn't be interesting of course. But the reactions are fun!
Diebert van Rhijn

“It’s time for Bernie Sanders to retire, He truly doesn’t get it. India and China have no prayer of phasing out coal without the help of nuclear power. We burned much of their share of the global carbon budget, and yet we refused to help them with modern nuclear power. Thousands of people PER DAY are dying in India from the pollution.... Not only is he killing people in India, he is screwing my grandchildren" -- source
"The future of our planet and our descendants depends on basing decisions on facts, and letting go of long-held biases when it comes to nuclear power." -- source
-- from James Hansen, leading climate scientist, NASA and Columbia University

Who wants to join the promotion of nuclear power and considering the emergency of our situation, oppose those who want to squander money, means and people implementing solutions which many experts are now saying are not going to cut it?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Pam Seeback wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:47 am
Vishesh wrote: Perhaps the ASPs would be different if they were grounded in the Infinite.
By default, because they are emotionally driven (they perceive Other), ASP's are not grounded in the infinite.

Infinite thinkers, by contrast, are not distracted by false thoughts of 'other', instead they are ever seeking new opportunities to cause forms.
and:
Pam Seeback wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:47 am
David Quinn wrote:David Quinn: We need people to work on the solutions (technological and otherwise) and we need people to keep sounding the alarm (because too many people are still asleep). I don't see the reason for bashing the second group. If you are genuinely concerned about the state of the environment, then you would want people to keep sounding the alarm.
What is needed in this world of persistent alarm sounding is calming, not more alarm sounding. And by calming, I am not referring to a numbing of one's faculties, rather, of attaining to that enlightened, quiet listening mode where insight can arise clearly arise so focused action can be taken. Isn't the real issue behind the climate issue the issue of not paying attention? And how do we pay attention if buttons of anxiety and fear are being pushed? Have you ever heard the story of Henny Penny/Chicken Little? If not, check it out.
Given that you are here treating me as the "other" (just as you did with Vishesh and ASP crowd earlier), are we to conclude that your comments are not grounded in the Infinite?

In any case, I disagree with the idea that constantly sounding the alarm on the environment is unenlightened and/or self-defeating. At the very least, it helps keep the issue at the forefront of our collective consciousness and makes it harder for all of us to continue the pretense that life can just go on like before and that nothing is amiss. And then, as weather events become wilder and more extreme, which is already beginning to happen all over the world, it will help force the human race to put 2 and 2 together and acknowledge the emerging pattern.

Sorry, while I believe I understand why you believe it is necessary to 'keep sounding the alarm', I do not reason this view to be an enlightened one.
In your daily eagerness to strike conventional enlightenment poses, you seem to forget that the act of sounding the alarm has had a long spiritual tradition, going right back to the days of Buddha, Diogenes, and Jesus. Kierkegaard was another one who believed in sounding alarms, despite the fact that he also knew, given how spiritually dead the human race is, that it is virtually a waste of time:

"On the stage came the clown, who told of a fire. The crowd thought it was a
jest. So he repeated his message. But no one listened . . . So will the world
come to an end, amidst general applause from the wits, who believe it is a
joke."

Pam Seeback wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:47 amI'm already in the first group, not based on 'cheery' optimism, but because I am aware that the logical aspect of the conscious causality is driven to survive and technology, where most of the jobs are, belongs to the logical drive. It could be said that the issues of climate change were formed by Nature as a way to increase the drive of logical thought to be caused.
Normally, I would just let this sort of drivel slide by. I mean, who can be bothered dealing with it? It's just Pam being Pam. But since she keeps insisting on being a spiritual judge of "others", her words probably do need to be addressed every now and then.

But Pam, before I weigh in on your comment here (the one in bold), I'll give you a chance to retract it. Everybody has their bad days, after all. So what say you? Are you prepared to stick with it?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:40 am
David Quinn wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:29 pm And so there you have it. A scientist openly and shamelessly equating scientific consensus with religious dogma. Oh my, what degenerative times we live in.
You must have missed the finer point again as I was quoting a leading climate scientist who supports the "scientific consensus". Otherwise it wouldn't be interesting of course.
I believe this is called "gaslighting", which is yet another Trumpian trait. You do have a lot of them.

And no, foolishly lending credibility to the large-scale right-wing myth that scientists as a whole still doubt the existence and seriousness of anthropocentric climate change, is not very interesting. It's as common as mud.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

David Quinn: Normally, I would just let this sort of drivel slide by. I mean, who can be bothered dealing with it? It's just Pam being Pam. But since she keeps insisting on being a spiritual judge of "others", her words probably do need to be addressed every now and then.

But Pam, before I weigh in on your comment here (the one in bold), I'll give you a chance to retract it. Everybody has their bad days, after all. So what say you? Are you prepared to stick with it?
How not-judgy of you.

You used the word 'absurd' in one of your previous posts, as good as any to describe human behaviour, my own included. Pam being Pam, I can live with that.
Diebert van Rhijn

David Quinn wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:23 am
Diebert van Rhijn wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:40 am
You must have missed the finer point again as I was quoting a leading climate scientist who supports the "scientific consensus". Otherwise it wouldn't be interesting of course.
"gas-lighting" ... "foolish"....."myth" ....."mud"
If you're not interested in what I propose as real climate discussion using various interesting statements of actual undisputed credible scientists within the relevant fields, then please refer from intersecting the discussion with content-free mud slinging (eg dogma, degenerative, foolish, mud).

I guess what you mean by gas lighting is that you just found out you completely misread the opening post, thought it was just the usual stuff, didn't check the background of the scientist and like so many these days you seem unaware of what's going on, like the hijacking of a serious climate discussion by ASP ideologists (overly Anxious, Social-Justice, Partisan). This is a growing problem which is starting to gain awareness rapidly.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

David Quinn: In your daily eagerness to strike conventional enlightenment poses, you seem to forget that the act of sounding the alarm has had a long spiritual tradition, going right back to the days of Buddha, Diogenes, and Jesus. Kierkegaard was another one who believed in sounding alarms, despite the fact that he also knew, given how spiritually dead the human race is, that it is virtually a waste of time:

"On the stage came the clown, who told of a fire. The crowd thought it was a
jest. So he repeated his message. But no one listened . . . So will the world
come to an end, amidst general applause from the wits, who believe it is a
joke."
You may perceive my words as conventional posing, but I perceive/feel myself, ergo my words, deeply. I tell you this not to change your mind about me or to defend who I am, but to point out the truth of relativity.

Onto the subject at hand! What do I perceive to be the most reasonable way to approach climate change? To continue using (as wisely as possible) the non-renewable energy sources of fossil and nuclear while investing aggressively in renewable energy sources such as wind and solar. (For those who are surprised to find nuclear energy to be categorized as non renewable, it is categorized as such because of its dependence on the finite nature of Uranium 235.)
Diebert van Rhijn

Pam Seeback wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:42 amWhat do I perceive to be the most reasonable way to approach climate change? To continue using (as wisely as possible) the non-renewable energy sources of fossil and nuclear while investing aggressively in renewable energy sources such as wind and solar. (For those who are surprised to find nuclear energy to be categorized as non renewable, it is categorized as such because of its dependence on the finite nature of Uranium 235.)
Fair enough. Do you think there's any viable path towards goals like the New Green Deal which proposes reduction to zero carbon emissions around 2040-2050? Or the extinction movement talking even about 2025 for the same? If these paths are delusional in economical and practical terms, they might need to be called out. At least when the "future of the planet" is the main signifier (and it isn't for the majority...).

As for your references to nuclear, new promising research reactors deploy also Thorium which is as abundant as plain old lead. Then are the molten salt reactors. On top that 4th generation reactors are being designed and tested which might solve the radioactive waste issue, including have a closed fuel cycle, in other words: it can eat nuclear waste. Some designs project to add these to existing older plants.

Now I've been opposed to nuclear energy all my life but when looking at the whole broader context ("wise rationality?") and get the best advice from the renowned experts, the picture emerges that there's currently only one way which will lead to a carbon-reduced energy cycle that won't require re-inventing the world economy by force: accelerated design and deployment of nuclear energy to replace many wind and sun projects.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Diebert: Fair enough. Do you think there's any viable path towards goals like the New Green Deal which proposes reduction to zero carbon emissions around 2040-2050? Or the extinction movement talking even about 2025 for the same? If these paths are delusional in economical and practical terms, they might need to be called out. At least when the "future of the planet" is the main signifier (and it isn't for the majority...).
Such radical proposals were the ridgepole of our Green Party which I considered voting for in our recent federal election, but when I reasoned out that such radical measures would likely cause suffering to many (loss of jobs primarily) I opted to vote for a party that was more moderate in its views. Perhaps as these paths become more economical and practical, the Green Party will find a more solid footing.
As for your references to nuclear, new promising research reactors deploy also Thorium which is as abundant as plain old lead. Then are the molten salt reactors. On top that 4th generation reactors are being designed and tested which might solve the radioactive waste issue, including have a closed fuel cycle, in other words: it can eat nuclear waste. Some designs project to add these to existing older plants.

Now I've been opposed to nuclear energy all my life but when looking at the whole broader context ("wise rationality?") and get the best advice from the renowned experts, the picture emerges that there's currently only one way which will lead to a carbon-reduced energy cycle that won't require re-inventing the world economy by force: accelerated design and deployment of nuclear energy to replace many wind and sun projects.
Back to what the idea that technology is likely to find a cure for its own ails. I have great faith in the restlessness of spirit to find its way, after all, it has a vested interest - consciousness!
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

I'm skeptical it is even possible to reverse direction. Asia is coming online with billions of people eager to live a Western lifestyle. The West is on the precipice of economic collapse which will likely be blamed on Trump leading to the American Proletariat finally waking up after all these years. Just look at the political situation in the US. Politicians promising their voters programs like universal basic income, medicare for all, extensive green 'new deal' plans. It just goes to show you how high peak delusion can get. The roller coaster has climbed to unbelievably blistering heights. There's a moment when you're right on the edge looking down. Some roller coasters even stop there and let you get a real good look at it. I feel like that's where we are right now, right on the edge.
a gutter rat looking at stars
Diebert van Rhijn

Glostik91 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:11 pmIt just goes to show you how high peak delusion can get. The roller coaster has climbed to unbelievably blistering heights. There's a moment when you're right on the edge looking down. Some roller coasters even stop there and let you get a real good look at it. I feel like that's where we are right now, right on the edge.
As far as I'm concerned, you're just describing what always was the position of the human being, existentially. Which makes sense then, that the nature of a thing becomes demonstrated over and over again and culminates in the most startling exposition in the cold light of self-reflection.
Flanker27S

Post by Flanker27S »

What saddens me in ecological problems is that everything is always brought back to climate change, which is then debated by its deniers as a way to stall every attempt at doing anything serious.

Meanwhile, nothing notable is done about the plastic island that's been formed by floating trash in the Pacific Ocean, nothing's done about the pollution of natural waters by heavy metals, nothing's done about plastic microparticles in rainwater, nothing's done about the use of carcinogenic or just unhealthy ingredients in processed foods, nothing's done about disappearing species...
Diebert van Rhijn

Indeed a lot more needs to be done if we want to live with billions of people on this globe in a highly industrialized, consumer like fashion.

However, some degree of positivism is justified and even required. All good developments in history came from a serious positive attitude (can do). For example, I do think a lot of things have become cleaner and healthier looking back at the last decades (or centuries). If one would list the results and the increase in health for humans and nature, it's actually quire staggering, the amount of improvements in place. But there's still a lot to do. think about the issue of nuclear weapons of mass destruction. Since the Cold War not much improvement to that immediate threat to the globe!

Most of the things you are listing are part of a mindset. Since enforcing a lifestyle or managing the economy centrally is something many countries have collectively fought against, the only path forward might be to change the general mindset on plastics, packaging, ecological footprint of stuff we buy and the processed foods, In all these cases there's still this overarching desire and the lack of care for consequences. And this is not even directly linked to climate, which remains in many eyes the most abstract and computer model related problem of all things ecological.

As long as people are too far removed from the causality of their being and actions, their choices or (lack of) awareness, the less they're going to do about it. Because what's the incentive? If ecological footprint could be better converted in monetary prices, perhaps people could become aware?

The problems I see with certain "elite" thinking is that some anger is being developed about others "not understanding" things while simply the concerns and value systems might differ, not automatically being "less". If there's a need to bridge the gap, then this effort will need to be made.
Flanker27S

Post by Flanker27S »

Well, I'm trying to raise awareness among people I talk to, but it sometimes - if not often - ends in ridicule and in incomprehension, and it is not always easy to deal with the constant frustration.
And yes, if we were to apply some simple changes (eating mostly locally produced seasonal foodstuffs, using degradable or reusable materials instead of plastic for packaging - where are glass milk bottles when we need them? - travelling by train as much as possible...) then it is estimated that the Earth could handle in terms of resource consumption up to 11 billion people, all with a quality of life comparable to the one of an average Western European person.