Marijuana legalization yes or no?

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Queen Solomon 1

Marijuana legalization yes or no?

Post by Queen Solomon 1 »

As July is approaching Canada is already prepared for the selling of marijuana in their stores. Our Prime Minister Trudeau okayed the legalization of the nice sweet smelling herb people go nerd over.

But how to control this fine relaxing sleep enhancing dream making herb is the question. Can Mr. Pilot operate his aircraft effective or efficiently while under the influence which could be heavily sedated. Rules such as no smoking two hours before operating any apparatus should be in affect. Some kind of device that will determine the level of weed in one's system would have to be figured out. Control needs to be monitored.

I wonder if weed was around centuries ago in Jesus's time--I'd wager a bet it was the forbidden fruit. The Apple tree in the Garden of Eden was just a symbolism for something else, yes, the marijuana bush, God forbid Adam and Even not to partake of it's fruit. I bet in those days the weed was so pure and powerful, that's what led Cain to kill his brother Abel.

Should marijuana be legal world-wide? Sure why not but Governmental tampering will take place.

Gosh, without an imagination we'd all be dumb as a post eh? I remember when I was stupid had no opinion at all, so I set out to educate myself in life. Now I'm equipped armed with a firing squad of slicing with words ammunition. Here's what I think about opinion. Opinion is valuable when beneficial.
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Marijuana legalization yes or no?

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

But how to control this fine relaxing sleep enhancing dream making herb is the question.
Not really in the sense that there are many things freely available, or with minimal effort, which would cause more problems for pilots and drivers. Alcoholic beverages or various medication, or a mix of those, for example. And there are already clear rules and laws in many cases that you cannot be "under influence" of any drug or substance doing certain activities where clear danger could be caused by lack of judgement. These can remain in place.

In my own Dutch country, a bit similar to Canada in terms of overall development, cannabis is more or less freely available, in small doses, in coffee shops since 1976 (and practically somewhat before that) because of a policy of tolerance, meaning it's not actually fully legalized yet like Canada is planning now. It didn't cause any fundamental problem by the way. Some minor regulation these days for example in the amount of shops in some area, especially strict around schools.

The discussion is moving slowly here to the possibility to decriminalize many more drug sales including "hard drugs" with of course heavy regulation in place. The benefits in eradicating crime networks and downward spirals of poor addicts might outweigh the occasional abuse. But some system of distribution is needed which could introduce some responsibility or registration. It's still unclear how that would look like though.