Thierry Baudet and the significance of borders

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Diebert van Rhijn

Thierry Baudet and the significance of borders

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

A new right-wing party arose in the Dutch elections this year. And it seemed interesting to discuss its leader, not because Dutch politics is that interesting, but the individuals rising up might be: Thierry Baudet is the leader of the "Forum for Democracy".

He's somewhat of an intellectual, a law professor and author. Besides the political ideas there are more interesting things to mention here. First of all he calls himself the most important intellectual of his generation in the Netherlands. It's a bit of a "narcissistic thing" to say, as many would be quick to point out, although Nietzsche or Genius forum founders have showed similar inclinations in their self-appraisal. So nothing inherently wrong with that I think.

The hysterical opposition is vocal as usual: fascist, sexist, racist, etc. That point of sexism I want to highlight. How so? Well apparently Thierry is supportive of life coach Julien Blanc currently banned from Australia and the UK for putting out ideas "derogatory to women" and "abhorrent values" on gender issues,especially dating tactics. For his public support Thierry got a lof of flack and grilling.

Well I've browsed some videos and the message of the dating classes (there are many other life topics too) seems to be: don't be needy, try to remain grounded and care-free, confident as that would be the most natural attractor. When projecting this alpha-confidence, women would automatically become more open, even when doing or saying weird, edgy stuff. And he goes on to demonstrate that on video rather absurdly and over the top, like a show man.

Overall I did hear some familiar gender philosophy here and there, stuff you can find on this forum and on Kevin's or David's site, even more so with Rich Zubaty, I mean, not as much related to higher wisdom but based on some sound observation and experience, conveying some psychological realities of women and "exploiting" those as opportunity, in the sense that the females might be already taking advantage because the boy does generally not know what's going on yet.

All in all I find it interesting that people like Thierry: young, male, confident and intelligent, also quite individualistic, are arriving on the political scene here with all the bravado and ambition. And yes, he's definitely part of the "new right" and presents himself as a more thoughtful alternative to Geert Wilders and possibly even related to the Trump phenomenon. Politically correct he's indeed not.

O, and no I didn't vote on his party, this time. Mainly disagreeing with their view on defense spending, introduction of the US GreenCard system and making illegal residence a punishable offense. But since the party I did vote for seems to have disappeared, I might still support them next time, if they can prove to remain rational, humorous and individualistic enough.
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Thierry Baudet and the significance of borders

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

There are more interesting things to say about this young politician and thinker. He seems quite familiar with Nietzsche, Foucault and Baudrillard (admittedly also part of my own influences) and is under constant attack, of course, for being misogynistic, racist, Nazi, sexist, dangerous or suffering from personality disorders. He seems to be trying to identify some cultural version of oikophobia, as some adolescent repudiation of home and the "familiar", acting as a childish nihilism wrapped in the magical wish thinking of supranationalism or multiculturalism.

All in all I think it's interesting to follow the career of someone who might be a few percent more masculine in his thoughts than his surroundings.

Only one of his books is in English so far but for those interested: The significance of borders : why representative government and the rule of law require Nation States. It's about politics and international law, academic style.