A short story.

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Glostik91

A short story.

Post by Glostik91 »

I was at the grocery store and went to the meat counter.

"I'll take the best piece of meat you have," I said.

"Everything in my shop is the best," replied the butcher. "You cannot find here any piece of meat that is not the best."

At these words I became enlightened.
a gutter rat looking at stars
TheImmanent

Re: A short story.

Post by TheImmanent »

I once had a long nightmare that I was a separate essence, and that my joy depended on catching other disparate essences that were always floating away or dissolving in my hands — as if they lacked substance and were made of nothing. And everywhere other separate essences chased after the same things, and we competed for the taunting notion of being fulfilled in strange and convoluted ways, never quite knowing what we were or what we were chasing. On this battlefield, no one had time to stop and reflect upon the situation. We stepped on each other in our rush, and many times secretly hoped for our comrades to fail so that our chances of gain would increase. Spite, resentment and jealousy was much more common than joy, and even joy and love were often used as weapons to increase one's essence in convoluted ways, like building a Frankenstein's monster with parts of corpses.

This was samsara.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

I really liked that. Thanks TheImmanent
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Why was this moved to the Help Desk?
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Glostik91 wrote:Why was this moved to the Help Desk?
Best guess ... because instead of deletion, what is dubiously borderline tolerable to the purpose of the forum is magnanimously relegated to the help desk. Explaining the story’s relevance to the forum’s perspective on genius may have given it a chance at pertinence to your chosen location.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Cahoot wrote:
Best guess ... because instead of deletion, what is dubiously borderline tolerable to the purpose of the forum is magnanimously relegated to the help desk. Explaining the story’s relevance to the forum’s perspective on genius may have given it a chance at pertinence to your chosen location.

It is a Zen koan. http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/31eve ... sbest.html
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

A: "What is your best work?"

B: "Everything I posit naturally is my best."
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:A: "What is your best work?"

B: "Everything I posit naturally is my best."
Hahaha, this reminds me of another koan.
When one goes to Obaku temple in Kyoto he sees carved over the gate the words "The First Principle". The letters are unusually large, and those who appreciate calligraphy always admire them as being a mastepiece. They were drawn by Kosen two hundred years ago.

When the master drew them he did so on paper, from which the workmen made the large carving in wood. As Kosen sketched the letters a bold pupil was with him who had made several gallons of ink for the calligraphy and who never failed to criticise his master's work.

"That is not good," he told Kosen after his first effort.

"How is this one?"

"Poor. Worse than before," pronounced the pupil.

Kosen patiently wrote one sheet after another until eighty-four First Principles had accumulated, still without the approval of the pupil.

Then when the young man stepped outside for a few moments, Kosen thought: "Now this is my chance to escape his keen eye," and he wrote hurriedly, with a mind free from distraction: "The First Principle."

"A masterpiece," pronounced the pupil.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Glostik91 wrote:
Cahoot wrote:

It is a Zen koan. http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/31eve ... sbest.html
Dead koans tell no tales.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Cahoot wrote: Dead koans tell no tales.
Indeed. How could I tell this tale unless it happened to me?
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

enlightened blossoms
maestro’s song living each voice
solo and chorus
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

In the beginning …

Like cat fur rubbing and releasing air from the empty pant leg of a dead man’s suit, the faint and overripe odor of groupie nostalgia wafted through the present room arrangement, clinging to the dirty halos on unpainted walls where imagined pictures once hung.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

An Old Story:

Once there was a fellow who liked to piss on people. Whenever one of them would reward him with a kick in the balls, he would squeak out a falsetto whine about the kicker's ego.

- The End -
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Three interesting characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpPArYxK_v4