Cognitive Enhancers.

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Ryan Rudolph

Cognitive Enhancers.

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

I recently became aware of this new market, but I am a little weary of taking anything, although the interest is there. I was specifically interested in something that both improves memory and alleviates brain inflammation, which I think is partly responsible for many brain related illnesses later in life.

I have always had a horrible memory. Someone will ask me to do something, and if I do not do it right away or write it down, it is gone and I will always forget.

Ray Kurzweil sells a memory compound at his online store, but I know nothing about how safe these compounds are. Here is what is in the compound -
http://www.rayandterry.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=MEMVEG

Now available in 90 count bottles of vegetarian capsules, Ray & Terry’s Memory Support, a special blend of ingredients designed to promote alertness and memory, contains more than twice the amount of vinpocetine!

Ginkgo biloba
Ginkgo biloba is the oldest species of tree known, dating back 300 million years. In Europe physicians write over 1.2 million prescriptions per month for ginkgo to help improve cerebral circulation, mental alertness, and overall brain functioning.

Numerous human studies on ginkgo have been published, which show that ginkgo leaf works by increasing blood flow throughout the body and brain. It has been shown to be helpful with many of the complaints of the elderly such as short-term memory loss, slow thinking and reasoning, occasional headaches, and dizziness.1,2,3

Phosphatidylserine (PS)
Dietary supplementation with PS has been proven to slow, halt, and, in many cases, even reverse age-related cognitive decline and memory loss. It also helps lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol, the main hormone of aging.4 PS has been scientifically established to be among the most effective substances to consistently result in dramatic cognitive improvements and enhancements of other higher brain functions.

Acetyl-l-carnitine
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC) is a naturally-occurring molecule involved in the transport of fats into the mitochondria. Mitochondria are tiny organelles that provide energy for the cell.5 ALC helps increase energy by buffering oxidative stress and increasing ATP production to maintain ATP levels.6,7 Researchers believe that ALC improves brain function by enhancing the activity of the memory neurotransmitters, acetylcholine and dopamine. There have been many studies which show that ALC improves learning and memory in normal, healthy mice and rats and there are indications are that it would probably do the same for young, healthy humans.8

L-glutamine
L-glutamine is an amino acid that serves as an important source of energy for the brain. Supplementation with l-glutamine has been found to help improve mood, mental performance and both long- and short-term memory.9

DMAE
DMAE, or dimethylaminoethanol, is normally present in small amounts in the brain. DMAE is known for its remarkable brain-enhancement effects. DMAE elevates mood, improves memory and learning, increases intelligence, extends life span of laboratory animals and increases physical energy.10 Many people report less fatigue during the day and sounder sleep at night as well as needing less sleep when taking DMAE.

Bacopin
Bacopin is also known as Indian water hyssop. It has been used in Indian Ayurvedic medicine for over 1000 years. Bacopin is thought to increase mental acuity and helps people maintain their intellect and memory into old age. Some recent scientific studies have confirmed the value of Bacopin in improving concentration and memory.

Vinpocetine
Vinpocetine is a powerful memory enhancer derived from the periwinkle plant. It facilitates brain metabolism by improving cerebral blood flow, increasing brain cell ATP production (for energy) and increases utilization of glucose and oxygen.11,12,13

Dosage: Take one vegetarian capsule twice a day.

Ray & Terry’s Memory Support contains 90 vegetarian capsules per bottle.

Ray & Terry’s Memory Support is equally effective when taken with or without food. However, if your digestive system is sensitive, you may want to take your supplements with meals.
Cory Duchesne

Re: Cognitive Enhancers.

Post by Cory Duchesne »

I have enough memory to be wise, and I do have moments of above average memory allowing for flashes of genius, so I'm good.

However, long, consistent durations of genius is a worthwhile luxury. I would take a boost in memory, but not if it meant risking the health of my current state of mind. But I don't see any services that are straightforward and clear, so I'm gonna work with what I have.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

yeah, I agree overall. I suspected the science was far too new to be trusted. We will need major advancements in genetics, robotics and nanotech before such treatments could be trusted.

My memory is sufficient for what matters most as well - philosophy. I mostly have trouble remembering trivial survival related matters that constantly change, but need to be remembered for a very short period and then discarded. not the most important type of memory anyway.
alphaeg

Post by alphaeg »

Whenever I take extacy my mind operates like a god dam super computer.
Everything is so completely clear.

But, it is not good to become dependent on a outside chemical to maintain any function relative to life.
+
jenki

Post by jenki »

Hi,
I know of many who had a similar problem to most of the threads in here.
They reported lack of recall memory, not being able to concentrate when carrying out simple tasks.
I can well understand the problems that this may cause. I found that a lot of people started to look at
a cognitive enhancer. They reported on the enhancers in forums that they had tried and a site seemed to
come up a lot more than most with good reviews. It is run by a lady called Sarah.
As this is my first post I am afraid I can't give you the site. I will return when allowed to post the url.

Many thanks all.
jenki

Post by jenki »

I have had a few requests for the site that has more information on cognitive enhancers.
Whilst I think that they are a great thing to help your bad memory, they are not for everyone.
So you should read all the information before committing to any thing.
http://proceraavh-review.com

All the best.
mental vagrant
Location: A flick of green to be seen between alone between two giants

Post by mental vagrant »

It's just some herbs, amino acids and vitamins.

On ectasy your brain functions like a super computer, implying you become completely retarded? Accurate.
unbound
loganleon

Post by loganleon »

I am facing memory problem due to lots of stress and anxiety which comes after doing work for long hours in office. It disturb my career, job and family life a lot. But when i start take herbal supplements to boost my memory and get relief from stress then my behavior suddenly starts changing. I feel more confident and learning power is also increased day by day. These pills are also cure my old Alzheimer disease and act as CardioTonic for body. I also recommend these pills to some of my friends and colleagues. They also get great benefit from that pills in few days. i hope you also like to try these pills at once.
jamesclark

Post by jamesclark »

I agree. Really interesting topic.