White Ribbon Day

Post questions or suggestions here.
Jamesh

White Ribbon Day

Post by Jamesh »

What do folks think of this stuff. One side of me says -sure violence against those weaker is pathetic and needs to be minimised, another side cringes a bit and says - this will just lead to women having more power over men overall, when they, as total group not necessarily as individuals, don't deserve it. In my book, women the positions of ultimate controlling power for an organisation always seem to stuff up.

(btw it is another example of why I reckon men are more emotional than women, I mean men commit violence because of uncontrolled emotion, and women stay in relationships where violence abounds, some even act to create it by whinging or being irrational).

Men wear white ribbons

Men wear white ribbons on November 25 each year because:

-We have heard about the pain and suffering that violence inflicts on women. We know that a fist in the face, a kick in the ribs, being forced into sex, having one's daily life controlled and policed and tormented, we know that these are horrible things that should never happen;

-We care for our wives, our girlfriends, our sisters, daughters, our female friends, our co-workers;

-We know it is men's wives, mothers, sisters, daughters, and friends whose lives are limited by violence and abuse; and, whether we know about it or not, many of the women we know have been subject to men's violence;

-We know that men don't have to be violent, that men can do better, that men can be and often are loving, caring, and nonviolent;

-We want girls and women, and boys and men, to be free from the threat of other men's violence;

-We know that we, and all men will benefit from a world free of violence against women, a world based on gender equality: in our relations with women, instead of experiencing distrust and disconnection we will find closeness and connection. We will be able to take up a healthier, emotionally in-touch and proud masculinity.

Violence against women is men's problem because:
- we have to deal with the impact of other men's violence on the women and girls that we love. Domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse leave deep emotional wounds, emotional scars, that impact on many men's relationships with our wives, daughters, sisters, mothers and friends.

- sometimes we are the bystanders to other men's violence. We make the choice: do we stay silent and look the other way when our male friends and relatives insult or attack women, or do we speak up?

- sometimes we have used violence ourselves. [/list]

Violence Against Women in Australia

Australian research has established that:
-more than 1 million women have experienced violence during a relationship with 60% reporting that they lived in fear during the relationship
-23% of women in a current relationship, or who had been in a relationship, experienced physical and/or sexual violence from a partner
-20% of women who experienced violence were pregnant when violence first occurred
-67.6% of women who experienced violence said their children had witnessed the violence (Women's Safety Australia, ABS 1996)
-the average direct cost of services for each victim of domestic violence was just over $51,000 per year in 1988, and
domestic violence generates enormous costs for the health sector and the legal sector (second only to traffic accidents in taking up police time) (Roberts 1988)
-domestic violence significantly disrupts employment and business productivity with direct and indirect costs to business estimated at $1.5 billion annually, (Henderson 2000)
-there are significant costs in income and other support for women who are unable to obtain or keep a job in the wake of leaving a violent relationship.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

I think it is putrid nonsense. Men need to get over themselves.

Fuck a white ribbon.

Faizi
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I think that along with wearing a white ribbon, men seek out the wife-beater type and disable them.

-Scott
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

White ribbons will not change anything.

Females need to realize that men are not needed. Males need to realize that women are not needed.

The violence is all emotion and psychology.

Currently, females gravitate toward males whom they think will protect them. Men are subject to sexual attraction only.

Big mistake.

Two or three females living in the US can afford a home to accommodate themselves and six kids. They can protect themselves.

Ideally, men are for recreational purposes only.

Neither men nor women can quite get past possessiveness and jealousy. But that is coming.

The more independent females become, the less likelihood of sexual violence. Too close proximity of the sexes along with the big pressures of modern existence breeds domestic violence.

Faizi
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

White ribbons will not change anything.

Yes they will, just very little, but little things add up to big things.

Females need to realize that men are not needed. Males need to realize that women are not needed.

Nah, you are projecting. Albeit that long term that may be the case, and that some women certainly have lot less need for men, and are living so (replacing them with fun and junk materialism), such a situation will remain necessary for many more lifetimes.

The more independent females become, the less likelihood of sexual violence. Too close proximity of the sexes along with the big pressures of modern existence breeds domestic violence.

I'm sure the above stats are highly skewed, exaggerated because of a lack of detail and context, written in a manner to produce guilt in men.

I think sexual violence will become less frequent in relationships, but when violence does occur I think it will be nastier on average. I guess as men are becoming more feminine and women more masculine that you are correct in saying "too close proximity" will breed domestic violence, particularly as some men must surely resent being feminised and will lash out.
DHodges

White ribbon or white flag?

Post by DHodges »

Jamesh wrote:I'm sure the above stats are highly skewed, exaggerated because of a lack of detail and context, written in a manner to produce guilt in men.
Yes they are. In general, they pretend that all domestic violence is by men against women. It usually takes two to make a fight.

For a thorough look at feminist statistics, take a look at the book The Myth of Male Power. It's pretty well documented.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

It is available at my local library, so I'll take a wander up there on the weekend and get it out.

Been waiting on Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel to become available - bloody uni students must be hogging it.

I
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Me: I think sexual violence will become less frequent in relationships, but when violence does occur I think it will be nastier on average.

Looks like I was wrong on this point. It must just be the lack of emotional discipline caused by the massive increase in freedom since the sixties. We haven't worked out how to handle this freedom yet. The conservatives know this and are presently attacking our freedoms to bring us back in line.

Domestic violence soars in Sydney
November 25, 2005 - 10:57AM

Domestic violence against women has shot up about 40 per cent in Sydney and more than 50 per cent in the rest of NSW over the past seven years, new research shows.

The findings coincide with national White Ribbon Day to highlight the anniversary of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.

Assistant Police Commissioner Reg Mahoney today said the research, from the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics, pointed to a need for action.

"Relationship violence is a serious and underreported crime," he said in a statement.