Losing posts

Post questions or suggestions here.
Matt Gregory

Losing posts

Post by Matt Gregory »

This board software pisses me off because when I take a long time writing a post, the board will log me off in the background and when I submit the post, it will go to the login screen. Whether I login or hit the back button, the post will be reverted back to the original quote and all my writing will be lost.

Is there any way to just disable the automatic logoff? Is high security really that important for a discussion board? It makes this board so user-unfriendly. I mean, losing data is like the worst bug a piece of software can have! I can hardly believe this bug exists in such an old, established piece of software and I have to think it must be misconfigured somehow. Grrrrrr!!!!
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Losing posts

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

What do you mean with a "long time"? Never happens with me and even hitting the back button in cases when some accident happened normally will just reload the post content back in the form. It's been a while since I lost a post although I did learn to make drafts, save them using the board feature or save the in another program, especially when the writing spans several sessions or days.

Some frequently asked questions:

- do you check " Remember me" on the login form?

- is your browser perhaps configured with maximum "privacy" cookie options and refuses any cookie to be set?

- are you accessing the forum with URL "www.theabsolute.net" instead of "theabsolute.net"? In some cases it matters.
Matt Gregory

Re: Losing posts

Post by Matt Gregory »

"Long time" was probably an hour, maybe two, or three, something like that.

I'll check the "Remember me" and remove the www. from my bookmark and see if that helps.

Thanks Diebert!