An acknowledgement and apology

Post questions or suggestions here.
guest_of_logic

An acknowledgement and apology

Post by guest_of_logic »

This post is to acknowledge, after looking back on some of them with the benefit of distance and hindsight, that many of my past posts to this forum have been unjustifiably aggressive and combative, and, to put it bluntly, arrogant. I apologise for that, and I affirm my intention to avoid that ugliness in all future posts (if there are any). You all have been very patient with my character flaws.

Speaking of future posts, I also apologise for returning to the forum under new names on the two occasions on which David banned me, rather than accepting his decision as moderator of this place. If he or any of the other moderators would like me to leave permanently, he/they need only say so, and I will accept that decision without a need to be banned.

(I still disagree with parts of the house philosophy, but that's no excuse for my mockery and hostility. That behaviour is especially unbecoming on a spiritual forum)

Given its content, I debated whether I should start a new topic for this post, but I decided in the end that it was best not to hide it in the middle of someone else's thread. I don't want to make a big fuss over this, but I do want it on the record.
Dan Rowden

Re: An acknowledgement and apology

Post by Dan Rowden »

What brought that on? I acknowledge the apology but cannot accept it on the grounds that I don't think it warranted in the first place. But, anyhoo...
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Laird. Hello. (:
Between Suicides
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

guest_of_logic wrote:This post is to acknowledge, after looking back on some of them with the benefit of distance and hindsight, that many of my past posts to this forum have been unjustifiably aggressive and combative, and, to put it bluntly, arrogant. I apologise for that, and I affirm my intention to avoid that ugliness in all future posts (if there are any). You all have been very patient with my character flaws.
It's something you feel you should do so I can accept that. But I don't remember you being that much of a bully or arrogant. Not in comparison with many members here! I see you more as occasionally over-sentimental and deeply confused on a few topics. But not all! Your views on spirits and demons for example were worrying me, that type of thinking rarely leads to anything good unless a strong community is in place for checks and balances. To me that view was way more ugly and aggressive (to your own sense of truth) than any slight or passive aggressiveness hidden in a post. That's really not a big deal for anyone but yourself perhaps.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

The sincere public declaration of intent gives intent the power to dominate ego so that ego becomes the servant of intent. This is why vows are made publicly. Vows of marriage, religious vows. Public declarations of war. "Public" is the key, private sincere declarations carry less power and leave openings for ego to seize the wheel and steer the intent into a ditch.

The content of the public declaration can be anything. Wisdom selects the content.

But the form of sincere public declaration gives intent such power that it can become uncontrollable by ego.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Dan, you might have forgotten some of the posts in question (I'm not going to link to them, at least not publicly). I've just been taking a bit of stock recently, and deciding that humility is a quality I could do with more of.

Leyla, a welcome pleasure. :-)

Diebert, you're a good guy, and you're not the only one concerned about my views on spirits and demons - the psychiatrists I've been in company with recently can only acknowledge that "They're real for you", which is a kind way of saying, "You're delusional, but because you don't know it (due to the nature of delusions), your delusions seem real to you".

Cahoot, nicely said.