The Light Within

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
WithinLight

The Light Within

Post by WithinLight »

For one to be real,
he must first reveal,
the meaning of life,
that hides in plain sight,
oh we might
just be the light.

This poem was written after i had been awaken by a bible Chanel and couldn't fall back to sleep, when i proceeded back to bed the topic of the show on the t.v said something that changed my life. "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Being a realist i had trouble deciding what this could mean. Ive always been against religion but this was too much, i realized what "oh we might just be the light" means. Also if the meaning of life hides in plain sight, that must mean its something within us that we need to discover the light. "Time within the Darkness, creates inner Light"-Isolation is truth.

I decided to try and develop a theory behind this poem.

I would like to ask you all an interesting question.

If i told you that within a extremely dark room lies the key to lifelong happiness if you find this certain physical object you will discover the secret of happiness. What would you do?

Thank you,
Light of the world
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: The Light Within

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

WithinLight wrote:If i told you that within a extremely dark room lies the key to lifelong happiness if you find this certain physical object you will discover the secret of happiness. What would you do?
Lock you up in the room and throw away the key. This will make you happy since you are sure the key to happiness lies in it and nobody has to listen to your poetry anymore as a bonus.

But more seriously? You sound like you suffer from a mental condition with some mildly delusional thought patterns displaying too many second hand biblical overtones. My advice is to keep it to yourself and not try to "convey" it using your current lingo. Internalize it perhaps but live your life normally. Make sure you have some friends who can criticize you. The "light" can also fry your brains if you get any closer. Seen enough of that but you think you are different?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

WithinLight wrote:If i told you that within a extremely dark room lies the key to lifelong happiness if you find this certain physical object you will discover the secret of happiness. What would you do?
Honestly? Laugh out loud, probably.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Jesus was pretty fond of the word light. I haven't given much thought into what I suggest below and might be drawing the wrong conclusions about the meaning of the word to Jesus. I don't bother too much with old stuff like this that can easily be interpreted many ways.

It features prominently in the Gospel of Thomas. To me the word means “truths of reality” – just as if one turns a light bulb on in a dark room and then sees and understands what is in the room, so to do truths concerning the nature of reality allow one to see the world much better.
The word seems to have multiple related meanings - the light relating to truth and the light relating to that which creates appearances within the universe ("The Father") are aspects of the same unified thing. Maybe a noun and verb type scenario.

He seems to also be saying that one who knows the light of reality will also have a sort of “guru aura”. Adherents of gurus sometimes state they see this in the guru. It could be true – the brains of meditating/Buddhist-enlightened people do work differently than others and produce more gamma rays, thus have a stronger electromagnetic aura. That would be where the churches idea of the halo came from.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/lea ... ppiest-man

---
Jesus said, "This heaven will pass away, and the one above it will pass away.
The dead are not alive, and the living will not die. During the days when you ate what is dead, you made it come alive. When you are in the light, what will you do? On the day when you were one, you became two. But when you become two, what will you do?"

---

His disciples said, "Show us the place where you are, for we must seek it."
He said to them, "Anyone here with two ears had better listen! There is light within a person of light, and it shines on the whole world. If it does not shine, it is dark."

---

50. Jesus said, "If they say to you, 'Where have you come from?' say to them, 'We have come from the light, from the place where the light came into being by itself, established [itself], and appeared in their image.'
---

Salome said, "Who are you mister? You have climbed onto my couch and eaten from my table as if you are from someone."
Jesus said to her, "I am the one who comes from what is whole. I was granted from the things of my Father."
"I am your disciple."
"For this reason I say, if one is whole, one will be filled with light, but if one is divided, one will be filled with darkness."

---

77. Jesus said, "I am the light that is over all things. I am all: from me all came forth, and to me all attained.
Split a piece of wood; I am there.
Lift up the stone, and you will find me there."

---

83. Jesus said, "Images are visible to people, but the light within them is hidden in the image of the Father's light. He will be disclosed, but his image is hidden by his light."
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

It's in the most simplest of terms the light in your own eyes.

But if you want to have a bible verse:
  • The lamp of the body is the eye, if, therefore, thine eye may be perfect, all thy body shall be enlightened.
    -- Matthew 6:22 Young's literal translation
The body (soma) here would be the whole of your matter - the world. Is it then just about the fact of awareness, thinking, consciousness all leading to understandings? Darkness then meaning ignorance and obstructed light? In the end this doesn't have to be all that mysterious then and if it's a forgotten secret, it's because people have started to think that the sources of "things" lie elsewhere like sunlight, lamps, LCD screens and all that reflects those sources. Which are all in fact way more mysterious and uncertain if you start thinking about it.
Pye

Post by Pye »

The light . . the light . . . and all the metaphors of light: Plato's cave; Jesus's I-am; the refreshment of enlightenment; shedding light; the lightbulb in the head; the coming-into-the-light; the festering dark; the I-saw-a-white-light . . . . light always to express knowing, seeing, well-being, arrival, beginning and end; light always to express our highest vitality, one of our highest needs . . . O dear little creatures warbling these abstract complexities of our concrete being that knows it's made of light; thrives in light (and rests in dark); exists in pure exchange with light; goes toward, is attracted like bugs to a fire, O dear dear humans lifting to poetry the worthy worship of this that keeps us in life, is necessary-for, bursts us green and golden just as we grow pasty, dark, and slow in its absence . . . out of our throats sings the organic knowing and praise of the light of the world as part of that upon which is built, and thrives, our being . . . .

bring spirit back into the worldly, wherein it arises, comes-to-be, has always been . . . .