Academic philosophy is a joke

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
Eric Orwoll

Academic philosophy is a joke

Post by Eric Orwoll »

I just put up a video outlining why I believe that academic philosophy is a joke. While I understand that most here probably prefer to operate in the medium of text, I like to keep track of my spoken thoughts because that's where I reason primarily.
It's pretty stream of consciousness so don't expect an entirely coherent argument structure.

If you're interested I'd appreciate any feedback.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgaBV3U ... ture=g-upl
David Quinn

Re: Academic philosophy is a joke

Post by David Quinn »

Funnily enough, I have just written about Krauss on my latest blog: Physicists: The Great Pretenders. Had I known about the Sorenson video, I might well have used it.

I agree with you that academic philosophy is a joke, but I don't think there is any conspiracy involved. It's more the case that the whole discipline has relentlessly dug itself itself into a hole over the past few centuries and no one really knows what they are doing anymore. It is a big complicated mess and beyond the capacity of any one individual to thrive in it and remain truthful and intelligent. Science is merely exploiting the disarray.

A few years ago, I was invited over to a Mensa-type academic forum and was thrown out after a couple of weeks or so. They didn't take to my style of reasoning at all. I kept a record of the whole thing, which I reckon you'll find amusing - Expulsion from Ne Plus Ultra.
Eric Orwoll

Post by Eric Orwoll »

David Quinn wrote:Funnily enough, I have just written about Krauss on my latest blog: Physicists: The Great Pretenders. Had I known about the Sorenson video, I might well have used it.

I agree with you that academic philosophy is a joke, but I don't think there is any conspiracy involved. It's more the case that the whole discipline has relentlessly dug itself itself into a hole over the past few centuries and no one really knows what they are doing anymore. It is a big complicated mess and beyond the capacity of any one individual to thrive in it and remain truthful and intelligent. Science is merely exploiting the disarray.

A few years ago, I was invited over to a Mensa-type academic forum and was thrown out after a couple of weeks or so. They didn't take to my style of reasoning at all. I kept a record of the whole thing, which I reckon you'll find amusing - Expulsion from Ne Plus Ultra.
It's amazing what a disservice high intelligence can do. People who know what cognitive biases are should know better.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

That Ne Plus Ultra thing is still pretty amusing to this day. David was really chased out of there with pitchforks and torches.
I live in a tub.
Gurrb

Post by Gurrb »

David Quinn, you really need to get over yourself. It's nauseating.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

I've had many disagreements with David over many years, but I'm not sure what he did to provoke that remark.

The essay he points to is worth reading, and does raise some important points.
I live in a tub.