Hypnotism

Post questions or suggestions here.
uncledote

Hypnotism

Post by uncledote »

So, what about hypnotic states or trances being a 'quicker' way into meditative realms. This can be done through relaxation, exercise, etc.

Are the states of alpha and theta brain-waves not sometimes more desirable than 'conscious' rational thought?
Last edited by uncledote on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Hypnotism

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

uncledote wrote:Are the states of alpha and theta brain-waves not sometimes desirable to 'conscious' rational thought?
Your question suggests that alpha and theta waves are somehow in opposition to thought patterns or that their occurrence would be unrelated or form an "alternative". But where do you get this idea?

Alpha waves have been associated with attention while theta waves have been suggested to be more like some signal to indicate a state of readiness, spatial navigation and (change of) alertness even.

That said, I've some wave-inducing audio CD's lying around here. The idea is to enter the desire state by synchronizing the brain with certain audio frequencies. Since it's very hard to measure the nature and exact origins these brain waves in laboratory conditions through some electrodes glued on a scalp, many claims on this might have to be taken with a grain of salt. I find them hypnotic and trippy alright.
uncledote

Re: Hypnotism

Post by uncledote »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
uncledote wrote:Are the states of alpha and theta brain-waves not sometimes desirable to 'conscious' rational thought?
Your question suggests that alpha and theta waves are somehow in opposition to thought patterns or that their occurrence would be unrelated or form an "alternative". But where do you get this idea?
I got the idea from "The High Performance Mind"

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6857 ... mance_Mind