Any technically oriented people or better yet engineers here

Post questions or suggestions here.
mental vagrant
Location: A flick of green to be seen between alone between two giants

Any technically oriented people or better yet engineers here

Post by mental vagrant »

How feasible will it probably be to replace my current HDMI 1.4a port system with the 2012 updated standard which runs at a higher bandwidth of 300MHz, in my Samsung full HD full 3D TV?
unbound
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Any technically oriented people or better yet engineers

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Why the fuck would you want that? :-)

Are the existing 1.4a and 1.4b both not already > 300Mhz? What's known about the next standard anyway?

You should just sell the whole thing and get ready for 21-12-2012.
mental vagrant

Post by mental vagrant »

I wouldn't have asked if it were the case. The cables support 300MHz and below, but HDMI didn't force the port chip standard to use maximum bandwidth because it was going to cost more to update the current HDTV standards. Meaning current HD3DTV are fine for film viewing but you are forced to trade resolution for frame rates when gaming. This is unacceptable.

1.4b isn't used in the consumer market really. I'm hoping a box of tricks will be released double potential bandwidth via a dual cable system.

End of the world. What's the matter? You consider this a distraction, from?
unbound
Diebert van Rhijn

Ok. I'm totally not into this but after reading a few things I must say it's a confusing mess. A whole universe I didn't know existed and I also not care about. That said...

Some say the checkerboard ("CB") 3D option is quite acceptable using Nvidia's 3D VisionKit and some driver hack to enable this for some Samsung 3D TV's. Even when technically you're still not using max resolution, people do think it's a big improvement over 720p60.

And yes, it's a distraction from traction of course.
mental vagrant

Post by mental vagrant »

A mess it certainly is. I'm looking into an dual cable box that can take 1 input at maximum bandwidth supported by the 1.4 cable standard, then split each frame into two, one per eye, sending these down two cables to the 1.4a chip, which hopefully can support that bandwidth over dual cable. But i doubt it's possible, if that is the case the nthey could simply unlock the clock speed..
unbound
Diebert van Rhijn

Just curious, did you try the 1080p60hz checkerboard option ("rollermod ") at all? It would still be below the port's limits but with good refresh rate and "native" resolution (no scaling). While you can argue this is only "half" a screen per eye, people report it as being very convincing and smooth. Or get a 3D TV kit at tru3d.com which can convert your 1080p FS/SBS to CB.
mental vagrant

Post by mental vagrant »

I've not tried checkerboard. I want full hd per eye, less is unacceptable unfortunately. I might be forced to modify my TV hardware at some point :/

I appreciate you reading into this :)
unbound