For Dan

Post questions or suggestions here.
GodsDaughter1

For Dan

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

Hi Dan

I won't be coming back here again after this message gets to you. I understand what this genius forum is about, I realized it a while back. You guys are right, I don't belong here. But, it was my pleasure to have had the opportunity to express myself even though I was stiffled at times.

My reason for contacting you today Dan is to ask your permission for the use of your title The Contemplations of Foresta Gump for my book. I know I could easily turn the words around and use it my way, however, I really like your title more and would greatly appreciate the honor of using your title. I prefer to use your title over Foresta Gumps Contemplations. I would also like to add the fact you Dan Rowden honored me with my own column and titled it The Contemplations of Foresta Gump after an influential poem I wrote called You're Meant to Be. I would like to add you in my book.

I have a publishing consultant working with me to produce my book. It is only intended for entertainment purposes, escape literature--a trilogy of short stories/poetry/and the contemplations which is humor and includes articles and reviews.

I asked David Quinn if I could use his words in my book, I would also like to use Kevin Solways words. All words that are not mine will go in quotations, and the contributor will be named.

All contributors will be named and counted in the book, and will receive a free book and $100.00 each or more considering the sales of the book.

In Canada we need to ask permission to use someone elses words, so with this in mind Dan, will you permit me to use your title The Contemplations of Foresta Gump?

Please let me know

Thank you

Donna Thompson
Professional Writer
cousinbasil

Re: For Dan

Post by cousinbasil »

Hi mensa - I knew it was you by the alias before I even looked at the post.

The over/under before Dan bans you again is 18 hours. Anybody?
Blair

Post by Blair »

GodsDaughter1 wrote:Hi Dan

I won't be coming back here again after this message gets to you.

Oh sure. Why didn't you just send him a PM, you dingbat.
GodsDaughter1 wrote:
stiffled at times.

Donna Thompson
Professional Writer
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Donna,

Feel perfectly free to use whatever title you prefer.

Dan
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

So much for the under.
Last edited by cousinbasil on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

Dan Rowden wrote:Donna,

Feel perfectly free to use whatever title you prefer.

Dan
GodsDaughter says: That's great, Thank you Dan. Am I to assume that I can use your name too? I don't want to take chances at getting sued. Also, I want to hear from two other people from here, and they both know who they are. A phrase, paragraph, sentence, short story, or fact will suffice, on the subject of Genius or anything you like--Thank you very much for your cooperation, you won't regret it! Those asked to contribute to this book,will be named within it, and promises honored!

Tracy Repchuks name will be included in this book, she is best seller of 31 Days to a Marketers Millionaire Miracle. Also, I've contacted Mark Victor Hansen best selling Author, him and Jack Canfield wrote Chicken Soup for the Soul series. I've also contacted Dr.Wayne Dyer. I received responses from both, but not the kind I expected.

This forum has been a significant part of my growth, which is why it is necessary to include at least one forum founder, preferrably all three. My word stands good on my promises.

Donna Thompson
Blair

Post by Blair »

GodsDaughter1 wrote:In Canada we need to ask permission to use someone elses words,
Surprisingly enough, that's generally the case in any country. It's called Copyright Law...
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Donna, you need to mention me if you quote me on something, however, the title you wish to use is yours for the keeping and with respect to that no mention of me is necessary.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

Dan Rowden wrote:Donna, you need to mention me if you quote me on something, however, the title you wish to use is yours for the keeping and with respect to that no mention of me is necessary.
GodsDaughter says: It's very necessary to mention your name in the book Dan as a contributor--Thank you. A question that will be asked of me is what's the story behind your title, that's when I'll have to be honest and say it's not mine originally, that's when your name comes up.

David Quinns name is not necessary but I'd like to quote his words anyway. Kevin Solways name is absolutely necessary to use, as he is a published book writer, which means his words are already respected in the writing field, whether he realizes it or not, he would be a prime contributor to the book.

Kevin should write another book, the man is brilliant! All three of you are! So is Elizabeth, she's one person I respect for her sensibility, knowledge, and ability!
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Donna, published writer, wrote:Also, I've contacted Mark Victor Hansen best selling Author, him and Jack Canfield wrote Chicken Soup for the Soul series.
Tsk, tsk, Donna. Here are the mistakes I found in this one sentence alone, Ms. Published Writer:

1. The word author should not be capitalized.
2. Chicken Soup for the Soul should be italicized, or at least underlined if italics are not available. Get a copy of the Chicago Manual of Style.
3. Best-selling is hyphenated.
4. "him and Jack Canfield" is a flagrant grammatical error. You would not say "him wrote Chicken Soup..." You would say "he wrote..." Therefore, the correct usage is "he and Jack Canfield wrote..."

In fact, that first sentence is an editor's nightmare. It should read: "Also, I've contacted Mark Victor Hansen, the best-selling author; he and Jack Canfield wrote the Chicken Soup for the Soul series."

Here is a free, online grammar checker.

Also, WhiteSmoke is a well-regarded grammar checker you can try for free.

These may help polish up what you write, but manually checking your own work is really the best way to learn.
Blair

Post by Blair »

GodsDaughter1 wrote: Kevin Solways name is absolutely necessary to use, as he is a published book writer, which means his words are already respected in the writing field
Poison for the Heart is not a published book, as far as I know.
GodsDaughter1 wrote:A question that will be asked of me is what's the story behind your title, that's when I'll have to be honest and say it's not mine originally
Shouldn't the remainder of the book be the story behind the title? hohoho
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

cousinbasil wrote:
Donna, published writer, wrote:Also, I've contacted Mark Victor Hansen best selling Author, him and Jack Canfield wrote Chicken Soup for the Soul series.
Tsk, tsk, Donna. Here are the mistakes I found in this one sentence alone, Ms. Published Writer:

1. The word author should not be capitalized.
2. Chicken Soup for the Soul should be italicized, or at least underlined if italics are not available. Get a copy of the Chicago Manual of Style.
3. Best-selling is hyphenated.
4. "him and Jack Canfield" is a flagrant grammatical error. You would not say "him wrote Chicken Soup..." You would say "he wrote..." Therefore, the correct usage is "he and Jack Canfield wrote..."

In fact, that first sentence is an editor's nightmare. It should read: "Also, I've contacted Mark Victor Hansen, the best-selling author; he and Jack Canfield wrote the Chicken Soup for the Soul series."

Here is a free, online grammar checker.

Also, WhiteSmoke is a well-regarded grammar checker you can try for free.

These may help polish up what you write, but manually checking your own work is really the best way to learn.
GodsDaughter says: Only the perfect will not make mistakes, I am that perfect, however, I choose deliberately to make mistakes so others can clearly see that I don't want them to view me as perfect, perfect is not respected, it is shunned, it is envied to a detriment, it is disagreed with, it is always expected to be itself which is perfect, it cannot relax because perfection expects perfection constantly. I hate perfect, which means I hate myself, because myself is a perfect psychopath, one who verbally abuses those she loves and tolerates those she doesn't.

Whether you believe me or not doesn't fizz on me, because I know my words speak truth. I knew perfectly well I deliberately made those errors, especially the him word. And the word Author I chose to capatalize it to give it significance, I don't follow all of the rules in writing, as a matter-of-fact I break them all. I deliberately didn't enter contests or competitions, because I wasn't going to allow a mental midget to reject my writing. I earned my way up to professional published writer status, I write perfect when necessity expects it from me.

The only thing I can Thank you for Cousinbasil is I didn't know that Chicken Soup for the Soul series needed to be italized, I don't know how to italize.
Blair

Post by Blair »

I daresay your would-be publisher will drop you like a hot poker (if they haven't already), with that attitude.

You can get away with breaking the rules if your prose is compelling, but Hunter S. Thompson you ain't.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

GodsDaughter says: Only the perfect will not make mistakes, I am that perfect, however, I choose deliberately to make mistakes so others can clearly see that I don't want them to view me as perfect
Well, this attitude is certainly a mistake. You may or may not choose to make obvious errors, Donna, but that is beside the point. You don't seem to realize that it is not to your detriment to avoid glaring mistakes in syntax, grammar, spelling, etc. It is to your advantage as an aspiring writer.

I am not making fun of you, just so you know. I have better things to do with my time. I am really trying to help you. I am serious about getting the Chicago Manual of Style. For North American standard writing, it is among the best guides. It will help you to avoid writing their when you mean there, for example. There are accepted rules in the English-speaking published world - you definitely do not want to stand out because you do not follow them. I guarantee that editors are unanimous on this point. They will not even consider what you have to say if you haven't made the effort to render it in acceptable writing. Remember, you will be competing against other writers who have submitted material in a readable form that requires minimal editing.
I deliberately didn't enter contests or competitions, because I wasn't going to allow a mental midget to reject my writing. I earned my way up to professional published writer status, I write perfect when necessity expects it from me.
In this quote, you use the word perfect incorrectly. It should read "I write perfectly..." In this sentence, it is an adverb, not an adjective.

My point is really that there is no such thing as perfection in writing. An absence of glaring errors does not equal perfection. You seem to think that if your writing were "perfect," then people would attack you for that very reason. This is Donna being neurotic.

As a writer, you should always strive to cast your written word in the best form possible if it is going to be read. Your reputation depends on it.

I am not trying to hurt your feelings. I am just trying to tell you the truth.

I suggested WhiteSmoke for a reason. It will help sharpen your grammar skills. You may think you can write "perfectly" when you have to, but this attitude will actually hold you back. It will keep you from learning, from improving. You would agree that a writer should always strive to be better? How could someone who writes "perfectly" strive to be better?
The only thing I can Thank you for Cousinbasil is I didn't know that Chicken Soup for the Soul series needed to be italicized, I don't know how to italicize.
I find it interesting that you have contributed so many posts to GF under various aliases, and yet you have never bothered to take advantage of BBCode. Italicizing on this forum could not be easier. You simply highlight the text you want to put in italics, then hit the button with the italicized i in it. You use the same method for boldface and underlining.

A professional writer should take advantage of all the tools at her disposal, right?
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Blair wrote:I daresay your would-be publisher will drop you like a hot poker (if they haven't already), with that attitude.

You can get away with breaking the rules if your prose is compelling, but Hunter S. Thompson you ain't.
Blair's right, Donna. It is better to know the rules before breaking any.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

cousinbasil wrote:
GodsDaughter says: Only the perfect will not make mistakes, I am that perfect, however, I choose deliberately to make mistakes so others can clearly see that I don't want them to view me as perfect
Well, this attitude is certainly a mistake. You may or may not choose to make obvious errors, Donna, but that is beside the point. You don't seem to realize that it is not to your detriment to avoid glaring mistakes in syntax, grammar, spelling, etc. It is to your advantage as an aspiring writer.

I am not making fun of you, just so you know. I have better things to do with my time. I am really trying to help you. I am serious about getting the Chicago Manual of Style. For North American standard writing, it is among the best guides. It will help you to avoid writing their when you mean there, for example. There are accepted rules in the English-speaking published world - you definitely do not want to stand out because you do not follow them. I guarantee that editors are unanimous on this point. They will not even consider what you have to say if you haven't made the effort to render it in acceptable writing. Remember, you will be competing against other writers who have submitted material in a readable form that requires minimal editing.
I deliberately didn't enter contests or competitions, because I wasn't going to allow a mental midget to reject my writing. I earned my way up to professional published writer status, I write perfect when necessity expects it from me.
In this quote, you use the word perfect incorrectly. It should read "I write perfectly..." In this sentence, it is an adverb, not an adjective.

My point is really that there is no such thing as perfection in writing. An absence of glaring errors does not equal perfection. You seem to think that if your writing were "perfect," then people would attack you for that very reason. This is Donna being neurotic.

As a writer, you should always strive to cast your written word in the best form possible if it is going to be read. Your reputation depends on it.

I suggested WhiteSmoke for a reason. It will help sharpen your grammar skills. You may think you can write "perfectly" when you have to, but this attitude will actually hold you back. It will keep you from learning, from improving. You would agree that a writer should always strive to be better? How could someone who writes "perfectly" strive to be better?

GodsDaughter says: She writes perfectly as far as she is concerned, therefore, she's mastered the Art of Writing. She doesn't need to strive any longer, she only needs to continue the perfection! But, even perfection has its' lazy moments of deliberate acts of defiance.
The only thing I can Thank you for Cousinbasil is I didn't know that Chicken Soup for the Soul series needed to be italicized, I don't know how to italicize.
I find it interesting that you have contributed so many posts to GF under various aliases, and yet you have never bothered to take advantage of BBCode. Italicizing on this forum could not be easier. You simply highlight the text you want to put in italics, then hit the button with the italicized i in it. You use the same method for boldface and underlining.

GodsDaughter says: Thank you. I've never been able to do easy things ever, I can only do things that require thinking, such as IQ tests.

A professional writer should take advantage of all the tools at her disposal, right?

GodsDaughter says: Yes, absolutely, but, I don't know how to do easy things, therefore, I must be stupid, or I need to be shown.

GodsDaughter says: You both are right, I know this. I shouldn't have said that I break all the rules, I don't, what I do is make my own rules, I capatalize words that I give significance to.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

GodsDaughter1 wrote:
cousinbasil wrote:

GodsDaughter says: You are insightful Cousinbasil, I cannot deny you of your insight, I truly was more in the past than I presently am neurotic. Neurotic was my ailing fault. Still I suffer with neurotic rot.

GodsDaughter says: She writes perfectly as far as she is concerned, therefore, she's mastered the Art of Writing. She doesn't need to strive any longer, she only needs to continue the perfection! But, even perfection has its' lazy moments of deliberate acts of defiance.

GodsDaughter says: Thank you. I've never been able to do easy things ever, I can only do things that require thinking, such as IQ tests.

GodsDaughter says: Yes, absolutely, but, I don't know how to do easy things, therefore, I must be stupid, or I need to be shown.

GodsDaughter says: You both are right, I know this. I shouldn't have said that I break all the rules, I don't, what I do is make my own rules, I capatalize words that I give significance to.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

cousinbasil wrote:

GodsDaughter says: Why in your opinion is this idea a mistake? When I say above that only the perfect will not make mistakes, and I'm that perfect, it's because I edit my own work, and won't put the work through until it is perfect, therefore, I only need to continue perfection, I don't need to strive for it any longer. I prefer perfect when necessity expects it, but, I become lazy and imperfect when I don't expect perfection from myself.

GodsDaughter says: I have the best guides Strunk and White and have learned the rules of writing. I know too and to, and there and their, and it's and its', and my writing doesn't require any editing because I learned editing from the many years of writing experience. I've come a long way through autodidact learning.