Setting approval for first post to avoid visible spam

Post questions or suggestions here.
guest_of_logic

Setting approval for first post to avoid visible spam

Post by guest_of_logic »

GF is inundated with spam at the moment. How about requiring moderator approval for a first post? That would eliminate most and possibly all of the visible spam. I found a thread that seems to indicate that this is possible in phpBB 3.0.4 - I'm not sure which version GF uses.
Dan Rowden

Re: Setting approval for first post to avoid visible spam

Post by Dan Rowden »

That's a good idea but I haven't found that option in the admin settings as yet. Hopefully I will because the spammers are driving me spare.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

According to this post on the phpBB forums, the option and its setting are:

Administration Control Panel > General >>Board Configuration> Post Settings > Enable queued posts:set this to 1

If that's not there, then we'll need to talk to Kevin about upgrading the software.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I can't see that specific setting but the board version ought to show it. I'll keep investigating. Maybe I need to fiddle with the styles to get it to appear.

Thanks for finding that info.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Is it possible to make new members await approval by a moderator before posting? I've seen that on other boards, but I don't know if the software used here allows for this.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

It's still a bit of work, Robert, to find out who to approve or not based on just username and IP address, especially if every day you've to go through the list and decide. It's a drag. Although blocking a couple of countries might help here, it might mean blocking Lao Tzu from signing up too.

Laird's suggestion seemed reasonable, to queue the first post and then manage that queue. I'm sure even some special moderators could be assigned for that job without having to become a full admin. It's possible the forum has to be fixed first though.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Ah right, I get it now, I thought Laird meant to allow for only one post to be actually publically posted before allowing for subsequent posts.

An admin managing a first post is a good idea. And yes why not, if possible, delegate this admin function to a couple of regular posters here?