Errors and Mistakes cost Lives

Post questions or suggestions here.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Why do people make mistakes, sometimes little errors that amount to nothing but a repeat, but, many mistakes are huge disasters that claim lives.

To me it would seem that if someone is bothered by something, it's going to affect him mentally, causing him to err.

One must know what he is doing at all times, and not allow the fight that you endured, create an error by concentrating on that struggle, instead focus on the present thing your mind is suppose to be on, and leave the detrimental thoughts out of the work environment.

People cause errors all the time continuously, here is one example.

If Mary hadn't nagged Bob this morning, Bob's accident may not have happened. Bob was thinking on Mary's harsh words, and now Bob suffers a hand loss because he wasn't focusing on his job. But, we can't blame Mary, we must put the responsibity onto Bob.

Bob needs to concentrate on his present position at his job, not even give Mary any thought at all while he's suppose to be responsible. Her words were sharp, mean, but, don't give her words any thought while at work. He can think about her destructive words while on break, or dismiss it until later, or tell someone he trusts, to release it rather than suppress it, but after break he must concentrate wholly on his job! Remember, safety on the job counts on you to be alert at all times!

One must always focus on the present moment, not something which happened earlier, it's the past, leave it alone until you can talk about it at a convenient time. Don't suppress any thoughts that bother you, always talk about them, but never think about what bothers you while you're at work. This is training your brain, which anyone can do. And I can teach anyone to train their brains, because I'm an expert at it, I just gave you lesson 1.

To Train your brain:

Step one: When you think of a negative thought, change it immediately to anything else preferrably a positive thought. If you practice this method of training your brain, you will find it will happen on it's own without trying. In other words you'll be training your brain to stay on a positive track.

And once on a positive track, you'll be more confident in yourself!

Step two: Never suppress your thoughts, always tell someone you trust. If you can't trust anyone, than write your words down on paper, and read them over and over again, then, part with it by burning it up, this will help you to accept and discard things that bother you, and help you to move onward and forward!

To move onward and forward is the best gift you could give yourself!

Donna Thompson
Animus

Re: Errors and Mistakes cost Lives

Post by Animus »

"That which opposes it and that which it fights is always the same as itself, only with factors inverted." - Karl Marx
Blair

Post by Blair »

mensa-maniac wrote:People cause errors all the time continuously,
Then Shut the Fuck up. (and stop breathing too, if possible)
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Animus wrote:"That which opposes it and that which it fights is always the same as itself, only with factors inverted." - Karl Marx
Mensa says: I believe this quote, because I know it, which means I have empirical knowledge of it as being truth, which then means I agree.

Many intellectuals will respond back and forth in meaningful dialogue, but, even they retort back defensively or accusingly in the most intellectual way by intellectualizing the conversation.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

mensa-maniac wrote:Why do people make mistakes, sometimes little errors that amount to nothing but a repeat, but, many mistakes are huge disasters that claim lives.
"the U.S Constitution is not a suicide pact." ~ Justice Robert Jackson
Don't run to your death
Animus

Post by Animus »

I just think if you think happy thoughts to escape unhappy thoughts, then you aren't really addressing the problem. Its better to be happy about unhappy thoughts and unhappy about happy thoughts until you can achieve a balanced state.

I can just imagine what my life would look and feel like if I had happy thoughts all the time, and if those thoughts had any affective weight to them. Right now I am not opposed to thinking I'm a piece of shit, and I'm also quite content without that opposition. To be opposed to thinking I'm a piece of shit is itself a torturous and fearful experience. In some ways it would be easier just to assume I am, rather than poise myself (psychologically) to guard against it. Instead of suffering the degrading feelings of negative thoughts, I'm made to be fearful of them, on guard against them, and making every attempt to convert them into something else. This psychological state can not be the ideal.

When I examine two objects and I compare those objects; let us say a pen and a pencil. I look at those objects in a fashion which gives little affective weight to them. I merely look upon them as similar yet differing objects formed for a common use. I can weigh the pros and cons of the pen against those of the pencil. Then choose either one based on their effectiveness for the task which I need them for. Its possible I might "prefer" (generally speaking) pens over pencils or some nonsense, but for the sake of this discussion I merely wish to point out that we look upon some objects without fear of the cons (negatives) or need to cling to the pros (positives). However, most of us don't look at ourselves this way.

As a designer, I might look at the pen and pencil and identify opportunity in the cons. Opportunity to improve upon the design, to reform it for more efficient use. If, as designer, I am fearful of the cons and try my damndest to ignore them, then I miss the opportunity to improve upon them. From the design perspective, cons can be pros.

Psychologically speaking, with respect to self-awareness, one can view themselves from the design perspective which guarantees more rapid improvement than would otherwise be possible. The potential, and probably inevitable pitfall of "positive thinking" is complete ignorance of one's need for improvement.

I don't take the story to be well suited for this end, as the female seems to be unjustifiably harping on the male, though it may be wise in this case for the male to recognize the imbalance in his wife causing these distorted emmanations. Supposing his wife expressed thoughtful, respectful and constructive criticism. Suppose she kindly informed him of her observations, in a manner which was not condemning. A man (or woman) in this situation is still likely to be "offended" by the observation, and this illustrious better (I think) the impetus for the design perspective instead of positive thinking.

However, this perspective can be difficult for people who are caught up in comparing themselves and obsessing over their own perceived value. The design perspective, requires an even mind. Paradoxically, this may be the method as well as the goal. Such contentment, acceptance and power accompany such a perspective that "positive thinkers" cannot even fathom.
Blair

Post by Blair »

Animus wrote:However, this perspective can be difficult for people who are caught up in comparing themselves and obsessing over their own perceived value. The design perspective, requires an even mind. Paradoxically, this may be the method as well as the goal. Such contentment, acceptance and power accompany such a perspective that "positive thinkers" cannot even fathom.
A "positive thinker" as you put it, is simply one who is hyper-aware of their own irrelevance. And blunder and suffer they do. Seen it all before.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Blair wrote:
Animus wrote:However, this perspective can be difficult for people who are caught up in comparing themselves and obsessing over their own perceived value. The design perspective, requires an even mind. Paradoxically, this may be the method as well as the goal. Such contentment, acceptance and power accompany such a perspective that "positive thinkers" cannot even fathom.
A "positive thinker" as you put it, is simply one who is hyper-aware of their own irrelevance. And blunder and suffer they do. Seen it all before.
My thought is that "irrelevance" can only exist in a reality which consists of "relevance". Since irrelevance is a mere negation. Though I suppose you could call people non-unicorns too. But if there is such a thing as relevance surely humans are. They are relevant, or at least relative to everything else, does it get anymore relevant? How much more a part of what's going on do we have to be to become relevant? Or is relevant a completely empty word? Is relative better?
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

I think that every human being on earth is relavant, otherwise, they would have been aborted out of mothers womb.

No human being on earth is a mistake or an error, the sperm travelled up the canal in a race against his opponents and came in number one. The sperm then connected with egg and you came about nine months later. That was no mistake or error or, it was creation of a human being.
Blair

Post by Blair »

mensa-maniac wrote:I think that every human being on earth is relavant, otherwise, they would have been aborted out of mothers womb.
Only the conscious are relevant.
mensa-maniac wrote: That was no mistake or error or, it was creation of a human being.
As was the sun, the plants, trees, oxygen et cetera. (I have little doubt you will misunderstand what this means, but what the hell, it's always worth a laugh)
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Animus wrote:I just think if you think happy thoughts to escape unhappy thoughts, then you aren't really addressing the problem. Its better to be happy about unhappy thoughts and unhappy about happy thoughts until you can achieve a balanced state.

Mensa says: Do you know how ridiculous this paragraph sounds to me Animus? I can agree with the first sentence, but, my words simply mean don't dwell on negative thoughts, many people dwell on bad thoughts and it drives them to committing crime, sometimes it's best not to address a bad scene, but to let it go instead. So it's best to change your mind to a better thought.

I can just imagine what my life would look and feel like if I had happy thoughts all the time, and if those thoughts had any affective weight to them. Right now I am not opposed to thinking I'm a piece of shit, and I'm also quite content without that opposition. To be opposed to thinking I'm a piece of shit is itself a torturous and fearful experience. In some ways it would be easier just to assume I am, rather than poise myself (psychologically) to guard against it. Instead of suffering the degrading feelings of negative thoughts, I'm made to be fearful of them, on guard against them, and making every attempt to convert them into something else. This psychological state can not be the ideal.

Mensa says: Whether you're opposed or not to being called a piece of shit, it affects you regardless. Nasty words and behaviour seem to come from those closest to us, "familiararity breeds contempt"
The next time she calls you a piece of shit, you respond with, that makes you a lover of shit! Always top her and maybe eventually she'll settle down and treat you with more respect. Men are smarter than women are, otherwise God wouldn't have made them the head of the household. If women were superior to men then God would have made women head of the household.

When I examine two objects and I compare those objects; let us say a pen and a pencil. I look at those objects in a fashion which gives little affective weight to them. I merely look upon them as similar yet differing objects formed for a common use. I can weigh the pros and cons of the pen against those of the pencil. Then choose either one based on their effectiveness for the task which I need them for. Its possible I might "prefer" (generally speaking) pens over pencils or some nonsense, but for the sake of this discussion I merely wish to point out that we look upon some objects without fear of the cons (negatives) or need to cling to the pros (positives). However, most of us don't look at ourselves this way.

Mensa says: However we look at ourselves, most of us don't see what others see, some us do see what others see!

As a designer, I might look at the pen and pencil and identify opportunity in the cons. Opportunity to improve upon the design, to reform it for more efficient use. If, as designer, I am fearful of the cons and try my damndest to ignore them, then I miss the opportunity to improve upon them. From the design perspective, cons can be pros.

Mensa says: That sounds more like being afraid of one's own feelings, but to identify opportunity in the cons might have a negative impact on you. Never be fearful of the cons, they are inferior to the pros. Never give to much thought to the cons, they are obstacles that get in your way. Genius sees opportunity where others see obstacles.

Psychologically speaking, with respect to self-awareness, one can view themselves from the design perspective which guarantees more rapid improvement than would otherwise be possible. The potential, and probably inevitable pitfall of "positive thinking" is complete ignorance of one's need for improvement.

Mensa says: Positive thinking doesn't need improvement, because positive thinking already knows whether it needs improvement or not. Reality is reality, reality can either be a positive or negative scenario. If it is positive, someone will always try to find a negative, and the negative would be false, but if it is a negative scenario, someone always tries to make a positive out of it, which would make it false also. Because there's nothing positive about a negative, and there's nothing negative about a positive.

I don't take the story to be well suited for this end, as the female seems to be unjustifiably harping on the male, though it may be wise in this case for the male to recognize the imbalance in his wife causing these distorted emmanations. Supposing his wife expressed thoughtful, respectful and constructive criticism. Suppose she kindly informed him of her observations, in a manner which was not condemning. A man (or woman) in this situation is still likely to be "offended" by the observation, and this illustrious better (I think) the impetus for the design perspective instead of positive thinking.

Mensa says: Each one of us has his own vision, that's what makes us all unique.

However, this perspective can be difficult for people who are caught up in comparing themselves and obsessing over their own perceived value. The design perspective, requires an even mind. Paradoxically, this may be the method as well as the goal. Such contentment, acceptance and power accompany such a perspective that "positive thinkers" cannot even fathom.
Mensa says: To be a positive thinker is to be optimistic, to be a negative thinker is to be pessimistic.
Animus

Post by Animus »

mensa-maniac wrote:
Animus wrote:I just think if you think happy thoughts to escape unhappy thoughts, then you aren't really addressing the problem. Its better to be happy about unhappy thoughts and unhappy about happy thoughts until you can achieve a balanced state.

Mensa says: Do you know how ridiculous this paragraph sounds to me Animus? I can agree with the first sentence, but, my words simply mean don't dwell on negative thoughts, many people dwell on bad thoughts and it drives them to committing crime, sometimes it's best not to address a bad scene, but to let it go instead. So it's best to change your mind to a better thought.

Mensa says: Whether you're opposed or not to being called a piece of shit, it affects you regardless. Nasty words and behaviour seem to come from those closest to us, "familiararity breeds contempt"
The next time she calls you a piece of shit, you respond with, that makes you a lover of shit! Always top her and maybe eventually she'll settle down and treat you with more respect. Men are smarter than women are, otherwise God wouldn't have made them the head of the household. If women were superior to men then God would have made women head of the household.

Mensa says: However we look at ourselves, most of us don't see what others see, some us do see what others see!

Mensa says: That sounds more like being afraid of one's own feelings, but to identify opportunity in the cons might have a negative impact on you. Never be fearful of the cons, they are inferior to the pros. Never give to much thought to the cons, they are obstacles that get in your way. Genius sees opportunity where others see obstacles.

Mensa says: Positive thinking doesn't need improvement, because positive thinking already knows whether it needs improvement or not. Reality is reality, reality can either be a positive or negative scenario. If it is positive, someone will always try to find a negative, and the negative would be false, but if it is a negative scenario, someone always tries to make a positive out of it, which would make it false also. Because there's nothing positive about a negative, and there's nothing negative about a positive.

Mensa says: Each one of us has his own vision, that's what makes us all unique.

Mensa says: To be a positive thinker is to be optimistic, to be a negative thinker is to be pessimistic.
Donna... that's why I proposed a strategy that transcends Positive/Negative thinking. See above.