Neurosexism

Post questions or suggestions here.
uncledote

Neurosexism

Post by uncledote »

Animus

Re: Neurosexism

Post by Animus »

Brizindine is an easy one to pick on. But as commentors suggest, there is good research on this too. The article takes a stab at the easiest research to discredit. I knew to ignore Brizindine, but there is much more research.

I'm not saying that adult brain differences are determinate, because they are not, merely correlative and could be attributed to socialization. However, the initial social schism most likely came about as a result of real differences. These differences may have been minor initially, but over several thousands of years of clinging to and embracing these subtle differences could bring about a socialization process that feeds back on and empowers these subtle differences. As history progresses, the subtle differences would become more and more distinct through the compounding of socialization generation after generation.

The only way to know for certain is to test infants, which is typical for gender difference research and differences have been observed in infants. Yet, this doesn't account for the possibility of socialization in the whom or possibly epigenetic information carried from one generation to the next informing the genetic development of neuroanatomy. If such epigenetic factors were at play, what began several thousands of years ago as an extremely subtle difference could expand to a stark contrast in the infant brain. There is little evidence of this, but there is evidence for male and female preferences in the infant brain.
uncledote

Re: Neurosexism

Post by uncledote »

Animus wrote:Brizindine is an easy one to pick on. But as commentors suggest, there is good research on this too. The article takes a stab at the easiest research to discredit. I knew to ignore Brizindine, but there is much more research.

I'm not saying that adult brain differences are determinate, because they are not, merely correlative and could be attributed to socialization. However, the initial social schism most likely came about as a result of real differences. These differences may have been minor initially, but over several thousands of years of clinging to and embracing these subtle differences could bring about a socialization process that feeds back on and empowers these subtle differences. As history progresses, the subtle differences would become more and more distinct through the compounding of socialization generation after generation.

The only way to know for certain is to test infants, which is typical for gender difference research and differences have been observed in infants. Yet, this doesn't account for the possibility of socialization in the whom or possibly epigenetic information carried from one generation to the next informing the genetic development of neuroanatomy. If such epigenetic factors were at play, what began several thousands of years ago as an extremely subtle difference could expand to a stark contrast in the infant brain. There is little evidence of this, but there is evidence for male and female preferences in the infant brain.
Yes, I'm with you on all of this.