W32/Blaster.worm

Post questions or suggestions here.
Elizabeth Isabelle

W32/Blaster.worm

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Something with the Windows sheild automatically downloaded on my computer, claiming I had malicious software, demanding that I activate it to remove the problem.

I tried to get rid of it with DefenderPro 15-in-1, which is the antivirus/firewall/PC repair, etc. that I had - which gave me the error message that it had been disabled by the W32/Blaster.worm

I went to the Add/Remove option, and oculdn't even find what was automatically downloaded.

I searched all changed files during the approximate time of the first error message, and tried to delete them individually, but got an unable to remove error message.

I downloaded the repair tool FixBlast, and got:
File FixBlast can not start
File FixBlast.exe is infected by W32/Blaster.worm
Please activate Spyware Protection to protect your computer

Spyware Protection is the name of the program that downloaded automatically around the time of the first error message.

I tried using FixBlast directly from the web, and got the same error message.

Firefox and Skype are down - IE still working

Help, please.
guest_of_logic

Re: W32/Blaster.worm

Post by guest_of_logic »

A quick bit of googling turned up this page, which describes a potential solution to an identical problem: http://www.computing.net/answers/securi ... 33043.html. Please try it and let us know whether that works for you.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Here's another thread in which a similar problem was successfully (and similarly) solved: http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/show ... p?t=212053.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Thanks Laird - all better now. No more flashing warnings, Skype's back without having to reload it, and Firefox is back with all of my bookmarks in place.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Nice one! I'm glad it worked out for the best.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Could it have been this?
Spyware Protection is a fraudulent program which imitates design of Windows system in order to gain a purchase. Spyware Protection presents itself as anti-spyware tool, but the real purpose of the program is getting your money.
Spyware Protection spreads via trojans. When it is installed, the fraud alters system’s settings to lower security of the compromised machine. SpywareProtection may redirect web browser to deceptive websites. Do not trust a web source which presents Spyware Protection as a real tool!
Spyware Protection brings tons of pop-ups trying to convince a victim that the computer is badly infected and only the paid version of Spyware Protection is able to delete the threats. Do not fall for this fraud and delete Spyware Protection instead.
It might have been mentioned in the links above but somewhere along the line you must have gotten infected by it so your protection was not functioning very well.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Yes Diebert, that was it, and yes, that was the second major piece of evidence that DefenderPro 15-in-1 really sucks. I'm going to try to get my money back tomorrow.