I was Invited...

Post questions or suggestions here.
mensa-maniac

I was Invited...

Post by mensa-maniac »

I was Invited...

I was invited to write for the examiner.com to become an examiner and be a part of their team. I'm estatic but not surprised they find my work excellent for the examiner. I've had years experience sating my passion.

Is anyone familiar with the examiner?

I know the examiner as a newspaper, but, I'm not certain if examiner.com is the examiner newspaper. Anyway, they've given me three days to write an article for them, they expect my bio and photo within these three days.

They are setting up my own page and column--this is what I've wanted for a lifetime.

This seems to good to be true, I'm confident I can do this, but, somewhat nervous to start. To be a top-notch writer, I must produce top-notch ideas to captivate, influence, entertain, inform, humor, educate, and inspire my readers, to keep them interested.

Who thinks I can do this, who knows I can do this? I need to know who believes in me?

Who supports my efforts? I can't do this alone, I need the moral support of those who believe I can do this, because, I'm somewhat scared to tackle this new found adventure.

What if I cannot produce what they expect? But, I can, it will just take extra work.

I'm so scared that I fear it will influence me not to risk the chance of a great opportunity.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Re: I was Invited...

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Calm down; it's not as big of a deal as all that. It doesn't look like it's connected with the newspaper, but you could always ask whoever invited you.

It looks like a chain of local news sites, and it doesn't look like they are too picky about the writers. Here's the first one I found when I typed in examiner.com:
Susan Slade

* Pasco County Food Examiner

B.O.G.O.F. and more with the Dine-A-Mate coupon book

* December 24th, 2010 9:58 am ET

The Suncoast Dine-A-Mate 2011 Edition is now available. For $19.95 you can eat out and save money, or eat at a restaurant you have always wanted too, at a more affordable price.

You will find pizza, Mexican, Italian, Hungarian, American, breakfast, Mom and Pop style, Sports style, and Asian food too. There are even more restaurants participating in Dine-A-Mate this year.

The great thing, for the Pasco county area is, that they are local. If you purchase the Tampa, or St. Petersburg Entertainment book, you would be lucky to find 3 or 4 local restaurants in it.

To check out participating restaurant go to the Dine-A-Mate page

You can telephone 727-815-1065 or 727-815-1022 to order, or purchase from The Suncoast News office, at the corner of Main Street, and U.S.19, New Port Richey.

Source: Suncoast News.
breaking down some of this -
You will find pizza, Mexican, Italian, Hungarian, American, breakfast, Mom and Pop style, Sports style, and Asian food too. There are even more restaurants participating in Dine-A-Mate this year.
Unclear. More than the pizza, Mexican, Italian, Hungarian, American, breakfast, Mom and Pop style, Sports style, and Asian food - or more than last year?
The great thing, for the Pasco county area is, that they are local.
Wild woman with those commas.

You can do much better than that Donna. Don't worry about it, just do it. You could have had it done with the amount of time that you put into the post to GF worrying about it. And don't believe that you can't do it without support. With the amount that you have posted to GF with not only next to no support ever but a significantly long period of people trying to dissuade you from posting here, you have proven that you don't need support to write and post to the internet. You'll do fine on your own.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Hi Elizabeth

Thanks for your vote-of-confidence, it means alot to me when someone is genuine with me.

The Examiner is very picky who they choose to write for them, even though they are seeking writers often, the writers have to be quality top-notch to be a good example for their paper. You have to submit a writing example to them for their approval or not, they don't want someone who can't put two sentences together. They expect the best, and they've got the best in me, however, I must change my writing entirely for them. They want their writers to be informative, factual, entertaining, humorous, and I am all that and more, but most of all I will be influential!

But, see there's a but here, which implies hesitancy, why the hesitancy she asks? I think the hesitancy comes from fear. Fear that I will disappoint them somehow and fall flat on my face and make a fool of myself. I wonder why I think that? Is this power of suggestion? Must I struggle within myself not to fall on my face?

A small part of me fears disappointing myself and not even risk trying to succeed at a great opportunity, while the other half of me wants it so bad I visualize myself with great audiences creating controversial topics for them. At least I have visualizations, that can come true if I make it happen!

So why do I fear, this fear is something that has been with me from childhood which is the major culprit holding me back from becoming great. I know I can do things alone, but doing things alone is scary, I need moral support. Support from those who believe in me.
I Thank You Elizabeth for giving me moral support, maybe one is all I need. "When two can agree upon it, so shall it be"
Blair

Post by Blair »

Get shit-faced and write it early in the morning. Before the world closes in.

Worked for Hemingway, H.S Thompson, many others.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Writing early in the morning is great advice, prince. “Before the world closes in.” Perfect description. From what I’ve researched, those two didn’t write shit-faced, though. The shit-face was reserved for later, for the closing-in world.

mensa, Pilgrim At Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard is a source of inspiration, if you haven’t yet read it. She was unknown as a writer until it was published, it won her the Pulitzer Prize. William Safire, who often wrote about language, wrote that every writer should read this book.

http://www.enotes.com/pilgrim-tinker

Dillard says that a writer should leave nothing on the table. During each writing session give it your all, empty yourself out, don’t try to save something for later, and trust that during the time when you are not writing you will replenish.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

prince wrote:Get shit-faced and write it early in the morning. Before the world closes in.

Worked for Hemingway, H.S Thompson, many others.
Mensa says: This made me laugh Prince, and yes, I do my best writings shit-faced, I'm shit-faced now!

And the mornings are the best time to write before the world closes in as you say, I like that!

Your words are brief and to the point, which is good according to Shakespeare in which he said, "Brevity is the soul of wit"
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Cahoot wrote:Writing early in the morning is great advice, prince. “Before the world closes in.” Perfect description. From what I’ve researched, those two didn’t write shit-faced, though. The shit-face was reserved for later, for the closing-in world.

mensa, Pilgrim At Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard is a source of inspiration, if you haven’t yet read it. She was unknown as a writer until it was published, it won her the Pulitzer Prize. William Safire, who often wrote about language, wrote that every writer should read this book.

http://www.enotes.com/pilgrim-tinker

Dillard says that a writer should leave nothing on the table. During each writing session give it your all, empty yourself out, don’t try to save something for later, and trust that during the time when you are not writing you will replenish.
Mensa says: Hi Cahoot, I shall take your astute advice and read Pilgrim At Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard. It won her the Pulitzer Prize, that's inspiring, which means she sold herself sort-of-speak.

I can and will do it too in the near future when I'm entirely ready, maybe when I become an Examiner and work awhile, perhaps I'll be ready to embark upon my book.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

mensa-maniac wrote:I can and will do it too in the near future when I'm entirely ready, maybe when I become an Examiner and work awhile, perhaps I'll be ready to embark upon my book.
Best to have some Jewish and Irish blood as those DNA's will get you far in the literary world..

Start off with a couple opinion articles at Examiner. Let the readers get a feel where you are coming from.

PS - We all have a book to write!
Don't run to your death
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Tomas wrote:
mensa-maniac wrote:I can and will do it too in the near future when I'm entirely ready, maybe when I become an Examiner and work awhile, perhaps I'll be ready to embark upon my book.
Best to have some Jewish and Irish blood as those DNA's will get you far in the literary world..

Start off with a couple opinion articles at Examiner. Let the readers get a feel where you are coming from.

PS - We all have a book to write!
Mensa says: Hi Tommy man, how are you doing? Thanks for the tip, I'll start brushing up on my Irish history, and as for Jewish, well I don't know that stuff.

Also, I must write informatively, not opiniated. It would be easy if I could write opiniated.

And you're right, each one of us has a book within.

Take care and peace be with you

Donna
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

The examiner is letting me publish my own work on their site instead of first saving and publishing it for someone else to examine first, they believe in my writing so they permit me to go ahead and click onto the instant Publish button they've provided.

I couldn't care less about payment, writing doesn't pay good at all, it never has, until you reach the great level of achievment, than it pays, and that is when you write a book and it is best-seller.

The reason I couldn't care less about payment right now is because, my words are free, until I become an author of a best seller, only then, will I feel worthy of pay!

Donna Thompson