What part of the anatomy controls human Speed?

Post questions or suggestions here.
mensa-maniac

What part of the anatomy controls human Speed?

Post by mensa-maniac »

What part of the anatomy controls or decides human speed, is it energy?

The anatomy is interesting enough to study which brings the question what part controls Speed?

Without having knowledge of this subject, I can only guess that the foods we eat is where we derive our energy from, but what decides human speed?

Speaking empirically, rapid walk, talk, and thinking are truths coming from within, what part of my brain decides this?

Donna Thompson
Blair

Re: What part of the anatomy controls human Speed?

Post by Blair »

All of your brain decides this is one big humongous super effort of coalitional awesomeness.

Prince

(If you want to move faster, physically, develop the motor-nerves, they have gotten slack since humans ceased having to run away from marauding lions etc)
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

m.maniac wrote:What part of the anatomy controls or decides human speed, is it energy?
Energy is not part of any anatomy. Energy is a specific quantity used to describe motion and work and light and heat. I am not sure what you mean by speed, since the examples you give are walking and talking, which are unrelated.

Also, maybe you can explain how rapid walking is an example of a "truth."
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

cousinbasil wrote:
m.maniac wrote:What part of the anatomy controls or decides human speed, is it energy?
Energy is not part of any anatomy. Energy is a specific quantity used to describe motion and work and light and heat. I am not sure what you mean by speed, since the examples you give are walking and talking, which are unrelated.

Also, maybe you can explain how rapid walking is an example of a "truth."
Mensa says: I think rapid walking, talking, and thinking are undeniable truths that one is quicker than another, and I am prime example of speed, I outwalk most people because I trained my mind and legs to work together. In walking I see people way ahead of me, yet I find myself leaving them in the dust.

Mensa says: Since I'm rapid at everything I do such as walking, talking, thinking, etc...I'd simply like to know where my speed comes from, how is it generated? Am I controlling my own speed? I think the thyoid has something to do with slowing my energy levels down, the reason I think this is because recently I discovered I slowed down in walking, thinking, and never sweated, I thought not sweating was unusual, so I had blood tests. The diagnosis was that I suffered with low-thyroidism. But, now I must take a life-saving drug called Synthroid daily. Taking this drug has increased my walking to a fast pace once again. So, I'm thinking the thyroid gland controls the speed of my person.

I underwent some head testing where these wires were connected, monitoring my brain activity, it would have been interesting to have learned what she was looking for. These are the regrets I have in life, the regrets of not finding out pertinent information pertaining to myself!

It's like a disadvantage, one suffers without advantage.

Donna Thompson
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Donna,

A person's speed in thought and action is a complicated subject. However, I think most of a person's physical agility is probably the result of a combination of a fast, efficient metabolism, combined with an athletic deposition. IE: strong cardiac heath, healthy bones, muscles, etc. Although, I believe from a genetic standpoint, we will probably learn that if a person has a fast, efficient metabolism, this may actually predict a person's body type to a certain extent.

For instance: on a gross scale, A deficiency in some of the hormonal glands causes problems with the functioning of the metabolism, which can result in drastic weight gain or loss, as you pointed out with the thyroid.

I have noticed that athletic people can often eat whatever they want, with very little weight gain. This tells me that if their metabolism is able to use calories as quickly as they are given, and even find a process for them in periods of excess. Whereas, people with metabolic issues, often times must watch how many calories they allow their cells to metabolize at once, because the processes lag, are slow, wasteful, and cannot keep up with the supply, and the extra calories transfer into fat gain.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Ryan wrote:I have noticed that athletic people can often eat whatever they want, with very little weight gain. This tells me that if their metabolism is able to use calories as quickly as they are given, and even find a process for them in periods of excess.
There's something to this. I am not athletic, but I make a point of exercising regularly. I mix in yoga, resistance machines, and aerobic machines like the elliptical. I eat whatever I want and do not have much excess blubber, whereas I have a sibling who has been overweight most of his life and has never exercised.

It is not that I have a "faster" metabolism. It helps to remember the derivation of the word metabolism: Your body consists of cells that are breaking down (catabolism) and being replaced (anabolism). Together, they form the metabolism. Exercise consumes calories since it requires energy. However, exercise also causes catabolism to increase, especially weight training. So when I am not exercising, my body must rebuild the muscle mass which has been broken down, and this rest-time anabolism uses up more energy than if the exercise (catabolism) had never taken place.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:Donna,

A person's speed in thought and action is a complicated subject. However, I think most of a person's physical agility is probably the result of a combination of a fast, efficient metabolism, combined with an athletic deposition. IE: strong cardiac heath, healthy bones, muscles, etc. Although, I believe from a genetic standpoint, we will probably learn that if a person has a fast, efficient metabolism, this may actually predict a person's body type to a certain extent.

Mensa says: Yes, I agree, since I'm 5ft short and slender, this tells me I have a fast metabolism as you say. The thyroid slowed me down some and I found I gained a tiny roll of fat on my stomach which is difficult to get off no matter how atheletic I am.

For instance: on a gross scale, A deficiency in some of the hormonal glands causes problems with the functioning of the metabolism, which can result in drastic weight gain or loss, as you pointed out with the thyroid.

Mensa says: From what I understand there is Hyper and Hypo thyroidism, the Hypo slows the metabolism down and there is weight gain which is my case, however being an atheletic person, the weight stays off, except for the small amount of fat accumulated on my belly. The Hyper thyroid is the detrimental problem where one loses weight but complications occur such as bulging eyes, craziness, etc. etc. one goes crazy with such.

I have noticed that athletic people can often eat whatever they want, with very little weight gain. This tells me that if their metabolism is able to use calories as quickly as they are given, and even find a process for them in periods of excess. Whereas, people with metabolic issues, often times must watch how many calories they allow their cells to metabolize at once, because the processes lag, are slow, wasteful, and cannot keep up with the supply, and the extra calories transfer into fat gain.
Mensa says: You have a good grasp of things Ryan. Thank you for your input.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

cousinbasil wrote:
Ryan wrote:I have noticed that athletic people can often eat whatever they want, with very little weight gain. This tells me that if their metabolism is able to use calories as quickly as they are given, and even find a process for them in periods of excess.
There's something to this. I am not athletic, but I make a point of exercising regularly. I mix in yoga, resistance machines, and aerobic machines like the elliptical. I eat whatever I want and do not have much excess blubber, whereas I have a sibling who has been overweight most of his life and has never exercised.

It is not that I have a "faster" metabolism. It helps to remember the derivation of the word metabolism: Your body consists of cells that are breaking down (catabolism) and being replaced (anabolism). Together, they form the metabolism. Exercise consumes calories since it requires energy. However, exercise also causes catabolism to increase, especially weight training. So when I am not exercising, my body must rebuild the muscle mass which has been broken down, and this rest-time anabolism uses up more energy than if the exercise (catabolism) had never taken place.
Mensa says: I eat whatever I want except that I stay away from fat as much as I can, like use 2% milk instead of Homo milk. I can afford to eat whatever because I get enough exercise with walking and biking on a daily basis, I've been skinny all my life because of fast metabolism.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Mensa says: I eat whatever I want except that I stay away from fat as much as I can, like use 2% milk instead of Homo milk. I can afford to eat whatever because I get enough exercise with walking and biking on a daily basis, I've been skinny all my life because of fast metabolism.
That Homo milk is high in protein. So I hear.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

CB,
Your body consists of cells that are breaking down (catabolism) and being replaced (anabolism). Together, they form the metabolism. Exercise consumes calories since it requires energy. However, exercise also causes catabolism to increase, especially weight training. So when I am not exercising, my body must rebuild the muscle mass which has been broken down, and this rest-time anabolism uses up more energy than if the exercise (catabolism) had never taken place.
Interesting idea, not familiar with it, so I will think about this idea some more, However, I suspect this break down and replenish process only makes up a small small part of the activity of the metabolism.

To me, the metabolism mostly means the demand for energy the runs all the cellular processes necessary for normal daily functioning. The cells are always working, and they need certain molecular building blocks to do their activities. That is where food intake is necessary, but no two bodies bodies are able to perform all the breakdown and utilization of food equally. There are differences in the genes and organelles that account for differences in how fast, efficient and so on that cells are when performing cellular work.

these differences in a person's cells, organelles, organs, brain, and so on, account for why one is prone to consume large amounts of food, enjoy exercising without gaining weight, whereas another could eat smaller portions, get tired easier when exercising, or exercise the same amount even, yet gain weight quite easily.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

@Ryan

Yes, no doubt one's body type has a lot to do with the way one's body disposes of caloric intake.
I suspect this break down and replenish process only makes up a small small part of the activity of the metabolism.
Not really. It depends on the type of exercise.

For instance, my normal resistance training routine was somewhat light. After reading several articles on sports nutrition, I decided to add a protein supplement to my diet. I stuck with the high-protein, low carb, low calorie type instead of the "mass building" products.

Then I got to be friends with a guy at the gym who has won several body-building titles for his age-group (masters, 40+). He noodged me into trying his workout. I could barely move the first week, everything hurt. Then, as I stuck with it, the pain gradually went away, but I felt tired all the time. It was an effort to tie my shoes. This lasted a couple of weeks when my friend told me I wasn't getting enough calories. Since my body fat had not noticeably diminished, I questioned this. Not that I have a lot of body fat, maybe a low average for my age, but I reasoned if my body was calorie deprived, it would take the calories it needed from there. But I tried his suggestion to switch to one of the "mass building" protein supplements, which are loaded with calories. Almost, overnight, my tiredness went away and the muscle mass began pour on, so much so quickly that I was uncomfortable. My body fat didn't increase noticeably.

So my analysis is that surplus fat is not utilized very much in the anabolic process, but caloric intake at the same time as the protein intake is. It is odd that I had not felt hungry prior to switching to the high calorie supplement, but rather just lethargic, with minor muscle-mass gains.

That was a couple of years ago - I am at a new gym and no longer run into my body-building pal. I no longer work his insane routine. He was an ex-Marine (picture Louis Gosset in An Officer and a Gentleman) As soon as he spotted me across the gym when he entered, he would shout "Ah see you jess sittin' there! Wake up! You gotta move! Move!" In short, I no longer have anyone motivating me to do the heavy free weights, which is just as well. Being bulked up looks particularly preposterous on me for some reason, and it made my suits not fit. Not to mention my range of motion was curtailed and my joints always hurt.

I am now doing a more balanced regimen, but I do include resistance training.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Personally, I have never really felt the need to attend a gym, and do exercise other then the exercise I do for my job, and the errands and work required to just sustain survival.

However, everyone's situation is going to be different, and some should supplement the lack of activity in their daily lives for the activity of a private gym.

but one needs to be careful of the motivation for exercise, like the marine you mentioned - he probably works out because appearing physically stronger than others is probably intimately tied to his self-image/self esteem, which is ultimately folly and self-delusion.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Ryan wrote:but one needs to be careful of the motivation for exercise, like the marine you mentioned - he probably works out because appearing physically stronger than others is probably intimately tied to his self-image/self esteem, which is ultimately folly and self-delusion.
That and he is a bus driver who supplements his income with some modeling work because of the physique. He also benefits because his job requires him to be sitting down all day and that makes him mental.
parasympathetic

Post by parasympathetic »

mensa-maniac wrote:What part of the anatomy controls or decides human speed, is it energy?

The anatomy is interesting enough to study which brings the question what part controls Speed?

Without having knowledge of this subject, I can only guess that the foods we eat is where we derive our energy from, but what decides human speed?

Speaking empirically, rapid walk, talk, and thinking are truths coming from within, what part of my brain decides this?

Donna Thompson
My wifes brain decides what my brain has to do.