Define Good

Post questions or suggestions here.
mensa-maniac

Define Good

Post by mensa-maniac »

Define Good

I'm stuck for words, I cannot begin to define good. Then I think of myself, but still I cannot define good without sounding like a narsisistic twit.

I don't want other words that mean the same as good, I want a definition of good.

Can you define good?
Blair

Re: Define Good

Post by Blair »

What the human race might have been without the taint of superstition.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

prince wrote:What the human race might have been without the taint of superstition.
Mensa says: Could you further elaborate?
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Define Good

Am I not good if I cannot define good. What is good? Without bringing God into this thread, what is good?

The air that I breathe is not always good, but it is good to be able to breath, but that is to imply that life is good, but I breathe in the bread of life which is Jesus and exhale to the world for the good.

What is good, certainly not the thoughts of others when they spew vile from their yaps with deliberance. What is good then?

Good is not mean, good is not evil, good is not malicious, good is not hatefulness, then what is good?
Blair

Post by Blair »

What you've recently been smoking, evidently.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

prince wrote:What you've recently been smoking, evidently.
Mensa says: I've smoked very little these past two weeks, I haven't got the dough to buy any. The truth is I've experienced insanity these past 3 days, and people have noticed and commented on my voice which changed during this bout of insaneness. I've been suffering greatly with pain in my neck and back from a fall off my girlfriends balcony when I was twenty. It messed me up pretty good and I've suffered a lifetime with pain which I believe causes my insanity every three months. I become a totally different person, I could easily off myself when I suffer to this great extent. I would prefer death than to live this way.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

prince wrote:What you've recently been smoking, evidently.
prince comes up with a good one!
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Define Good

Yes, Prince did come up with a good one. Pot is good if smoked in moderation, not over excessively. To much of anything can be a detriment. I wish I had a hoot right now!
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Define Good

Since Good is the opposite of Bad, I now have to define what bad is in order to see what good is.

Bad is everything good is not, therefore, good is everything bad is not. Ok if I kill someone how do I decide if this is bad or good. I see it's bad because I'd be confined to a one-room cell. Therefore society says it's bad, but if I succeeded to kill someone knowing it was bad, I'd be inviting trouble, condemming myself, thus, confining myself. It certainly wouldn't be good to be controlled, structured, raped and confined. So I conclude that killing is bad, really evil bad, so bad that it mars your name for the rest of your life. But, even that can be forgiven from those with a forgiving heart, so forgiving must be something that is good. So without bad we wouldn't know what good is, and without good we wouldn't know what bad is. But, killing is bad even if it is forgiven. Bad because it hurts others, many lives are afflicted with pain, suffering and hurt, because of one bad evil action. So I conclude that killing is not good, therefore it is bad!
Blair

Post by Blair »

Tell that to the guys who flew the planes into the World Trade Center and murdered five thousand people...

They is in heaven now (with twenty-one virgins)
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

prince wrote:Tell that to the guys who flew the planes into the World Trade Center and murdered five thousand people...

Mensa say: If God is truth, they are not in heaven now. They are buried in the ground, their rotten stinking bodies have been eaten up by termites. God wouldn't reward these killers, if the Bible speaks truth, killing is a sin and sin is bad, evil!
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

prince wrote:Tell that to the guys who flew the planes into the World Trade Center and murdered five thousand people...

What Islamic martyrs fail to realize is that there are 21 virgins in Paradise. And hundreds of thousands of martyrs! They have to take turns! "Oh, shit, Abdul! I thought we were going to get 21 each!!!"
parasympathetic

Post by parasympathetic »

Good is a subjective experience in the reality .
Garrick

Post by Garrick »

Being good is like doing everything that other wants from you . Cause only that thing will make you good in terms of other people .
Nut Up Or ShUt Up !!!
Animus

Post by Animus »

I'll give my thesis:

Good is that which conduces to a sustainable reality

In the Universe, all is Good, as all is invariable to a sustainable reality. Even that which at first appears Bad.

In the egotistical sense, things are Good or Bad as they accord with our personal desires, or those of our group. All of humanity, has combined notions of what is Good and Bad, according to humanity's collective ego.

However, what is truly Good, is Good for the sake of existence, and not for the sake of humans or humanity. Volcanoes are Good, Hurricanes are Good, Death is Good. Without Death, there would be nothing contrasting Life, and so nothing could be born. Death is necessary for existence and therefor is wholey Good.

Bad comes into being through the minds of individual human beings, who conceive for themselves what is Good, and by contrast, what is Bad, typically according to their lusts and aversions. They confuse themselves, and ask "Why would God allow death?" or else state that "The Universe does not care about Life." Yet, if it were not for Life, the Universe would be of no affect, hence Life is the utmost 'desire' of the Universe.
Scorched Soul

Post by Scorched Soul »

I think the term "good" can mean a few different things depending on the use.

1) If used to descibe the morality of something, then it's just a subjective judgement based on your particular ethical and moral beliefs - I think all humans tend to have a similar idea of what it means for something or someone to be good in a moral sense.

2) Good can also be a value statement on how effective something is perceived to be in helping us achieve a desired outcome - if something is good, then it can be said to be an effective means of achiving whatever the desired goal is. This could be used on a things or people or even ideas and concepts

I think describing the Sun, or volcanoes as "good" is a bit strange, it doesn't really apply to those things, I mean, you could basicaly say everything is good since everything is necessary.
Sphere70

Post by Sphere70 »

Good and bad is of course relative terms and can never be crystallized to an absolute.

But for me, the original grain of that which grows into pain - what we call bad / evil - (for oneself which in turns often extend to others) is identification with that which you are not. This is the original sin, if you will ,-)
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

Define Good

"And he saw they were good"

The Bible speaks that all things in heaven and on earth are good. That means the earth and it's inhabitants.

You guys have all contributed great ideas to define good. I just love to read the expressions of others. One of you in particular, I like the way you talk. But, all of you express yourselves in such a wonderful educated way.

All of you educate me with your expressions, telling my brain everyone is so unique and offer me insight into their brains, that's how I know you through your words, your expression.

I know through your words whether I would relate well with your person. Reading words is an amazing thing to be able to do. Our minds eye allows us to read words. This is good.

Others expressions give us insight into others thoughts, an obvious observation of the magnificence of humanity.
GodsDaughter1

Post by GodsDaughter1 »

GodsDaughter1 wrote:Define Good

"And he saw they were good"

The Bible speaks that all things in heaven and on earth are good. That means the earth and it's inhabitants.

You guys have all contributed great ideas to define good. I just love to read the expressions of others. One of you in particular, I like the way you talk. But, all of you express yourselves in such a wonderful educated way.

All of you educate me with your expressions, telling my brain everyone is so unique and offer me insight into their brains, that's how I know you through your words, your expression.

I know through your words whether I would relate well with your person. Reading words is an amazing thing to be able to do. Our minds eye allows us to read words. This is good.

Others expressions give us insight into others thoughts, an obvious observation of the magnificence of humanity.
"In the beginning was the WORD, the WORD was with God, and the WORD is God" John 1

The WORD is good, the Bible is the WORD of God!