Ayn Rand quote

Discussion of science, technology, politics, and other topics that aren't strictly philosophical.
mwolf

Re: Ayn Rand quote

Post by mwolf »

I am officially positing my request to dispatch Ayn Rand from the entirety of history.

Her arguments are violently flawed. Libertarianism breeds collectivism through the necessity of nationalism and other forms of conformity. One cannot have a lawless society without universal ethics and expect there to be social acceptance of individuality.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Really, there's no need to sacrifice evidence-based reasoning on the alter of random neuron stimulation.
mwolf

Post by mwolf »

Cahoot wrote:Really, there's no need to sacrifice evidence-based reasoning on the alter of random neuron stimulation.

There is when the evidence is incorrectly utilized.

Ayn Rand reasoned from a limited perspective. She did not account for preconventional moral reasoning, and simply assumed conventional moral reasoning in her thought experiments. She then put on blinders and went out into the world, ignorant of far too much, and tried spreading a message that was utterly wrong.

So yes, Ayn Rand's work needs to be archived under "almost but not quite" and treated as such only.

Even DH Lawrence was limited in his reasoning. He was close to universal ethics; but still had class stratification controlling elements of his perspective.
Orenholt

Post by Orenholt »

mwolf wrote:I am officially positing my request to dispatch Ayn Rand from the entirety of history.

Her arguments are violently flawed. Libertarianism breeds collectivism through the necessity of nationalism and other forms of conformity. One cannot have a lawless society without universal ethics and expect there to be social acceptance of individuality.
Some say that good men do not need rules and bad men will not follow them.