Fun fact thread

Post questions or suggestions here.
Tobitobi

Fun fact thread

Post by Tobitobi »

Most presumptuous people constantly feel the need to compensate for their lack of proficiency. Consider this a stress reliever. Ever pondered about how much less informed the worlds around you are in comparison? Take advantage; post a fun fact.

Rules: Unless you absolutely have to, do not research a fun fact to post. By doing, you are merely contradicting your membership [to this forum].

Here, i'll start. In the state of Michigan, a man, by law, is the legalistic owner of his wife's hair.
Last edited by Tobitobi on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pye

Re: Fun fact thread

Post by Pye »

I understand in a certain sub-continental tribe, husbands eat the reproductive organs of their recently deceased wives. That way, paternity issues won't arise in the afterlife, either.

chastity *burp*
Tobitobi

Post by Tobitobi »

Don't know if this can be considered a 'little known fact' rather than just a 'fun fact', because i've actually learned about this on the internet. The forty-sixth word in the King James Version of Psalm 46 is "shake," while the word that is forty-sixth from the end is "spear." At the time Psalm 46 was translated, Shakespeare was 46 years old. Not that I believe they have anything to do with each other.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Tobitobi wrote:Don't know if this can be considered a 'little known fact' rather than just a 'fun fact', because i've actually learned about this on the internet. The forty-sixth word in the King James Version of Psalm 46 is "shake," while the word that is forty-sixth from the end is "spear." At the time Psalm 46 was translated, Shakespeare was 46 years old. Not that I believe they have anything to do with each other.
Psalm 46 (KJV) backwards and numbered:

(1) Selah. (2) refuge. (3) our (4) is (5) Jacob (6) of (7) God (8) the (9) us; (10) with (11) is (12) hosts (13) of (14) LORD (15) The (16) earth. (17) the (18) in (19) exalted (20) be (21) will (22) I (23) heathen, (24) the (25) among (26) exalted (27) be (28) will (29) I (30) God: (31) am (32) I (33) that (34) know (35) and (36) still, (37) Be (38) fire. (39) the (40) in (41) chariot (42) the (43) burneth (44) he (45) sunder; (46) in (47) spear (48) the...

Psalm 46 (KJV) forwards:

the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

Post by 1456200423 »

The negative electrons flow from negative (?) terminal towards the positive and not the other way around... as per (theoretical current)

;-}
veritas odium parit
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Tobitobi wrote:Most presumptuous f*cks constantly feel the need to compensate for their lack of proficiency. Consider this a stress reliever. Ever pondered about how much less informed the worlds around you are in comparison? Take advantage; post a fun fact.

Rules: Unless you absolutely have to, do not research a fun fact to post. By doing, you are merely contradicting your membership [to this forum].

Here, i'll start. In the state of Michigan, a man, by law, is the legalistic owner of his wife's hair.
That is indeed fascinating. I have never heard of such a thing. Is the law such that the wife does not own hew own hair? Suppose a Michigan man is about to travel from Detroit to Saginaw and he wishes to bring his wife's hair along with him. Suppose also that the wife is unable to accompany her husband on his trip. She legally then must surrender her hair?
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Animus wrote:Psalm 46 (KJV) backwards and numbered:

(1) Selah. (2) refuge. (3) our (4) is (5) Jacob (6) of (7) God (8) the (9) us; (10) with (11) is (12) hosts (13) of (14) LORD (15) The (16) earth. (17) the (18) in (19) exalted (20) be (21) will (22) I (23) heathen, (24) the (25) among (26) exalted (27) be (28) will (29) I (30) God: (31) am (32) I (33) that (34) know (35) and (36) still, (37) Be (38) fire. (39) the (40) in (41) chariot (42) the (43) burneth (44) he (45) sunder; (46) in (47) spear (48) the...
Selah, however should perhaps not be counted as a word. Its meaning is closer to modern punctuation, or perhaps an amen, but not part of the structure.

Of course there are a couple of theories around about Francis Bacon's involvement as editor/author in both the KJV as well as Shakespeare work. Fascinating idea!
Animus

Post by Animus »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Animus wrote:Psalm 46 (KJV) backwards and numbered:

Selah, however should perhaps not be counted as a word. Its meaning is closer to modern punctuation, or perhaps an amen, but not part of the structure.

Of course there are a couple of theories around about Francis Bacon's involvement as editor/author in both the KJV as well as Shakespeare work. Fascinating idea!
It should be counted because it is in the KJV and is a word. You don't ignore evidence just to support a "fascinating idea".
Animus

Post by Animus »

Furthermore, the claim that the 46th letters forwards and backwards spell "Shakespear" is the only evidence that Shakespear-e had anything to do with the KJV, so it is rather important that it is not accurate.
Animus

Post by Animus »

I was born in 1981, 1+9+8+1=19, 1+9=10, 10x9=90, 9+0=9

Take any word from the Bible, any translation, and add up the number of letters, add the numbers of the sum together, multiply by 9, and add the sum again.

Example: God, 3x9=27, 2+7=9
Example: Nazareth, 8x9=72, 7+2=9
Example: Heaven, 6x9=54, 5+4=9
Example: Excommunication, 15, 1+5=6, 6x9=54, 5+4=9

Therefor, I must be God and have written every translation of the Bible, and my name is "Nine".

Animus, 6x9=54, 5+4=9
Animus

Post by Animus »

Here is an interesting fact:

Every phase of the Mario Bros. is introduced by Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik First Movement.
Carmel

Post by Carmel »

That one reminded me of something I read recently about Einstein.

He said that if he hadn't become a scientist, his second choice for a career would've been a composer. He said that he "thought in music." ...music of the spheres?
Diebert van Rhijn

Animus wrote:It should be counted because it is in the KJV and is a word. You don't ignore evidence just to support a "fascinating idea".
You make two big mistakes here. First of all I did not claim to "support" any meaning of the KJV word count, but I did call the Bacon-KJV-Shakespeare connections, of which there are many, "fascinating".

The second mistake is to think you know something about Biblical sentence structures and word counting. You're just guessing here but I am not.

Some general reading for those who like fascination at times: Baconian theory and by the way involvement with the making of KJV and King James is not completely unlikely considering his biography.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Animus wrote:It should be counted because it is in the KJV and is a word. You don't ignore evidence just to support a "fascinating idea".
You make two big mistakes here. First of all I did not claim to "support" any meaning of the KJV word count, but I did call the Bacon-KJV-Shakespeare connections, of which there are many, "fascinating".

The second mistake is to think you know something about Biblical sentence structures and word counting. You're just guessing here but I am not.

Some general reading for those who like fascination at times: Baconian theory and by the way involvement with the making of KJV and King James is not completely unlikely considering his biography.
Fascination is a trap, a lot of people seem fascinated when they attempt to remind me that we only use 10% of our brain. They think the potential for an additional 90% of usage is 'fascinating', but it is ill informed. I tell them that it cannot be true of any brain and they seem more keen to stick with their original fascination. Fascination = psychological arousal = attachment.

A lot of conspiracy theorists are fascinated by the high levels of Tritium, Lead and such like reported in the air surrounding the WTC towers after 9/11. The EPA generated a report showing higher than normal levels of heavy and radioactive material. This is owing to the use of Tritium in hand-rails, exit signs, and the laser sights of a weapons cache stored in the buildings. Tritium is a luminance emitting radioactive substance and is used to make luminous paint similar to the kind made using Radium. This paint is then applied to hand rails and exit signs to keep them lit without external power. The same paint is used in some high-end consumer watches. But the idea that a fourth-generation suitcase nuke made from tritium was used to destroy the towers is fascinating, is it not?

Any evidence that Shakespeare was anywhere near Hampton Court Palace from 1604 - 1611? No, I didn't think so. Numerology FTL!
Diebert van Rhijn

Animus, please pay attention this time, will you? There are still a few things to learn here.
Animus wrote:Fascination is a trap
Fascination is only a trap because you think it is? A good example of a red herring as argument in this discussion. Most of good science in practice starts with fascination, this state of being "intensely interested" or just "in awe", or even entertained by developing some notion. Ever worked with top of the class scientists? Or in academical environments? This wouldn't need explaining otherwise. You are preaching annihilation of all passion, all drive, which is unwise in all cases something challenging needs to accomplished.
a lot of people seem fascinated when they attempt to remind me that we only use 10% of our brain.
That's not just fascination, it's most of all a common misunderstanding. Big difference. The question remains open if humans live up to their full potential, and seen like that I'd say most are using 1% max!
. But the idea that a fourth-generation suitcase nuke made from tritium was used to destroy the towers is fascinating, is it not?
So because some far fetched ideas are fascinating, all fascination is basically a far fetched wrong idea? O boy, you need some extra logic classes!
Any evidence that Shakespeare was anywhere near Hampton Court Palace from 1604 - 1611? No, I didn't think so. Numerology FTL!
But I was talking about Francis Bacon who was all over the place. Perhaps you're in need for some psychological arousal to improve your attention in reading and comprehension of plain English?

By the way did you know in the same psalm the 14th word from the beginning is "will" and the 32nd word (now including selah) from the end lands you on "i am"? 14+32 = 46 again, and will + i + am = william [just kidding! not meant as prove of anything! jeez! nerd!]
Animus

Post by Animus »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Animus, please pay attention this time, will you? There are still a few things to learn here.
Animus wrote:Fascination is a trap
Fascination is only a trap because you think it is? A good example of a red herring as argument in this discussion. Most of good science in practice starts with fascination, this state of being "intensely interested". Ever worked with top of the class scientists? Or in academical environments? This wouldn't need explaining otherwise. You are preaching annihilation of all passion, all drive, which is unwise in all cases something challenging needs to accomplished.
Challenging things can be accomplished with fascination, but some fascinations are quite petty.
a lot of people seem fascinated when they attempt to remind me that we only use 10% of our brain.
That's not just fascination, it's most of all a common misunderstanding. Big difference. The question remains open if humans live up to their full potential, and seen like that I'd say most are using 1% max!
. But the idea that a fourth-generation suitcase nuke made from tritium was used to destroy the towers is fascinating, is it not?
So because some far fetched ideas are fascinating, all fascination is basically a far fetched wrong idea? O boy, you need some extra logic classes!
No, its just that fascination ought to be a bonus and not the reason one pursues an inquiry.
But I was talking about Francis Bacon who was all over the place. Perhaps you're in need for some psychological arousal to improve your attention in reading and comprehension of plain English?

By the way did you know in the same psalm the 14th word from the beginning is "will" and the 32nd word (now including selah) from the end lands you on "i am"? 14+32 = 46 again, and will + i + am = william ;-)
Fascinating...
Diebert van Rhijn

Animus wrote:No, its just that fascination ought to be a bonus and not the reason one pursues an inquiry.
Yet many of the world's most insightful inquiries were a result of a long chain of fascinations, piqued interests and captured imaginations: a doorway to ask further questions, questioning the established pathways and answers, to wonder what's beyond that which is currently not understood or mastered (by oneself at least, or perhaps even anyone in existence). This is how I see fascination but you're correct in warning for the bottomless pit of entertaining incoherent theories which enchant more than instill any logical inquiry. The Internet age provides an endless stream of such disconnected 'fun facts'; a stream going down hill in the majority of cases.
Tobitobi

Post by Tobitobi »

If ever you were to lick a stamp, you'd be consuming about 1/10 of a calorie.
Tomas

LIFE BEFORE THE COMPUTER

Post by Tomas »

LIFE BEFORE THE COMPUTER

* Memory was something that you lost with age

* An application was for employment

* A program was a TV show

* A keyboard was a piano

* A web was a spider's home

* A virus was the flu

* A CD was a bank account

* A hard drive was a long trip on the road

* A mouse pad was where a mouse lived

* And if you had a 3 1/2 inch floppy
...You just hoped nobody found out
Don't run to your death
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

80% of men in a survey reported that if they had to marry again, they would choose the same woman. The same demographic of women were also polled, and only 50% of the women reported that they would choose the same man again if they were given the chance.

What do you think this data suggests?