Are priests more likely to be child molester than ministers?

Post questions or suggestions here.
Ryan Rudolph

Are priests more likely to be child molester than ministers?

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

From the recent scandals in the church, it isn't hard to notice the trend of repeat sexual offenses on children by priests. My question is trying to understand why this group is more prone to this behavior. Basically, does the environment of priesthood foster the conditions where weak minded people sexually assault children, or do these types of individuals seek out that environment? Any ideas?
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Are priests more likely to be child molester than ministers?

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

How would you come by the idea that this group is "more prone" to this behavior? Because the attention flap in the media?

These abuses are pretty common and in my estimation more or just as common within a family, teachers and coaches, neighbors, etc. It happens in any place where trust relationships are present while the power dynamics between old and young, powerful and powerless are fueling the sexual tensions. Religion doesn't have an answer to this, as well, it appears.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Diebert,

I'm not sure that the groups are proportionate as far as offenses are concerned. For instance: We rarely hear of school teachers being charged or even accused of child molestion, especially compared to priests. So if they are equal in proportion, we should hear of more cases, unless the media has some bias in not reporting these cases, which I highly doubt. Also, school teachers are a group that has an equal amount of power and opportunity over children.

So perhaps priests are attracted to the church because they have very little sexual interest in women, so not getting married is not a problem for them, but they form sexual interests with boys, as they need a outlet for their sexuality. There is much more than just power operating there. Child molesters are sexually excited by the thought of gratifying themselves with children.

Or perhaps the lack of sexual contact with women in the church causes the behavior, perhaps they are heterosexual by nature, but the sexual starvation causes a sort of desperation, where anything will suffice.
Nick

Post by Nick »

It seems like every month I hear another story about a female teacher having sex with one of their 13-15 year old male students. I don't think it's as wide spread as catholic priests having sex with young boys, but it still happens enough to ring some alarm bells.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Nick, true, and I agree that the numbers are not as high, which supports my argument. Moreover, most of these women teachers at least tend to target males who are a tad older, at least post puberty. Their minds are still immature, but they have sexual thoughts, and know what the experience means, whereas many of the male priests tend to target boys who are pre-puberty, and are more violated then interacting.

So It is debatable whether a male who has gone through puberty, and understands sex will suffer as much mental damage as a child who doesn't understand what is going on, and loses all control. Also, Often times, the female teachers have interactive romance relationships with these students, and the sex isn't the primary focus for the teachers, and even though the male isn't quite mature enough, the mental ramifications are probably not as severe.

The male students often suffer from heart break and a bit of confusion, whereas younger children often experience many traumatic mental issues later in life if they are involuntarily molested and assaulted on a regular basis for a long period of time. It is important to note how the female teachers focus more on the mental part of the relationship (romance), and the priests are more obsessed with the physical.

And I don't hear of as many ministers being charged with child molestation as often as priests. Perhaps this is because the ministers are able to have sexual relationships with women openly without any sort of punishment. Perhaps ministers are able to relieve their urges in more conventional ways.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:Nick, true, and I agree that the numbers are not as high, which supports my argument. Moreover, most of these women teachers at least tend to target males who are a tad older, at least post puberty. Their minds are still immature, but they have sexual thoughts, and know what the experience means, whereas many of the male priests tend to target boys who are pre-puberty, and are more violated then interacting.
Yeah I think there is a distinction to be made between an adult having sex with a minor who is prepubescent and post-pubescent.
Ryan Rudolph wrote:So It is debatable whether a male who has gone through puberty, and understands sex will suffer as much mental damage as a child who doesn't understand what is going on, and loses all control. Also, Often times, the female teachers have interactive romance relationships with these students, and the sex isn't the primary focus for the teachers, and even though the male isn't quite mature enough, the mental ramifications are probably not as severe.
Looking back on myself at that age I probably would have been very open to the idea of an attractive teacher coming on to me. Hormones were raging back then and sex was always on my mind so it's definitely not something I would have been opposed to. If something like that were to have happened in my past I don't think it would have mentally screwed me up, except by possibly causing me to have an overly sexualized view of female authority figures. Either way, as an adult it's definitely not something I consider desirable and would not condone. Male teenagers having sex with their teachers has many negative ramifications for society as a whole because it undermines the concept of forming relationships based on trust and understanding as opposed to sexual desire and emotional highs.
Ryan Rudolph wrote:The male students often suffer from heart break and a bit of confusion, whereas younger children often experience many traumatic mental issues later in life if they are involuntarily molested and assaulted on a regular basis for a long period of time.
Definitely. The mind of a child is far more innocent and fragile than the mind of a male teenager who has went through puberty. It's almost too easy to tell when someone has been the victim of child molestation. It's as if they wear their mental scars on their sleeve for all to see.
Ryan Rudolph wrote:It is important to note how the female teachers focus more on the mental part of the relationship (romance), and the priests are more obsessed with the physical.
I'm not so sure about that. That priests overwhelmingly choose young prepubescent boys to victimize makes me think that there are some specific mental and emotional issues going on in the mind of priests that cause them to behave this way.
Ryan Rudolph wrote:And I don't hear of as many ministers being charged with child molestation as often as priests. Perhaps this is because the ministers are able to have sexual relationships with women openly without any sort of punishment. Perhaps ministers are able to relieve their urges in more conventional ways.
Yeah being a part of an organization that will exile you for having sex has the potential to lead to all kinds of strange behavior, but I'm still not convinced this is the sole cause as to why so many priests specifically molest young boys.
KRWoods

Post by KRWoods »

This is linking back to the Pre/Post puberty thought discussed earlier in this thread:

Priests do not engage, normally, in sexual interaction ( or rather they're not meant to ). Perhaps what we are seeing is unexperienced men going for an easy target, who are also sexually ignorant. Also, priests are brought up around the values of innocence and purity being important, and I know that it is not just a value that the catholic church hold, but they do take things like that seriously. Perhaps they are attracted to the innocence that younger children have?

Teachers, who as you have stated, tend to have an inclination towards the older boys/girls, are sexually active, and therefore feel more comfortable in tackling an older, more sexually aware, person.

However, these are just assumptions and I understand that I may not be right.
Carpe Diem
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Once this site burned books, though now it only pays for pennies.
Nick

Post by Nick »

A question for anyone who might have an answer; what the fuck is up with this Steven Coyle guy? What's his deal?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I think you're being optimistic if you imagine there's an answer to that question. Then again, "drugs" always springs to mind...
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

perhaps Steven should take a break from posting on the forum until he can find some medication or give off the drugs or something...
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

just bringing a bunch of zools
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Dan,

what is the point in allowing Steven to continue to post? I suggest that his membership be banned, until he can contact you via email and make some sense. There isn't much point in his posts, as they never make sense.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

I'll stop.
Robert

Post by Robert »

No need to stop Steven, just take part in an actual developed dialogue now and then when you feel like it instead of the minimal one line word riddles.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:I'm not sure that the groups are proportionate as far as offenses are concerned. For instance: We rarely hear of school teachers being charged or even accused of child molestion, especially compared to priests. So if they are equal in proportion, we should hear of more cases, unless the media has some bias in not reporting these cases, which I highly doubt.
So you're saying you base your argument on media flaps, not on actual analysis or statistics? I thought so. After a few minutes of searching on the Net I already established the abuses by priests are statistically not standing out at all, although exact figures are hard to establish. And it's mostly about reports of events from the 60's and 70's as well, interestingly enough. Makes me wonder if the post-war "silent generation" is an element here.
Also, school teachers are a group that has an equal amount of power and opportunity over children.
The priests actually are in a different position, doing generally more than just teaching a few hours a day. Also the trust given to them by religious parents is higher.
.. but they form sexual interests with boys, as they need a outlet for their sexuality. There is much more than just power operating there.
Or perhaps it's about opportunity to a few percentage points of deviants? The question here is if there is anything "different" to this compared to other caretakers in similar positions. So far I've seen nothing justifying those questions apart from the obvious indignation about the fact a priest would engage in it. And priests having been in charge of institutions where the structure might have allowed for more opportunity and white-washing. But to link it with sexual problems related with religious morality of some kind: I doubt that whole line of thought as being void of solid argumentation.