Who Plays Chess Here?

Post questions or suggestions here.
mensa-maniac

Who Plays Chess Here?

Post by mensa-maniac »

I learned how to play chess when I was 22 years old, became good enough to beat my teacher.
Chess is my all time favorite game, it is more than just a game, it is strategic. At one time I could think eight moves ahead while anticipating my opponents moves. My brother Dan got into a game of chess through the mail with my other brother Alan. I never did find out the outcome.

Who Plays Chess here?
Ryan Rudolph

Re: Who Plays Chess Here?

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

I'm an average player, became a lot better by playing chess online agaisnt the computer bots. They do not make errors, which points out ones careless thinking pretty quick.

Playing an online bot in chess is a lot like a mundane thinker taking on a sage in a philosophical debate. The outcome is fairly predicable.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

I've played chess against the computer and won both times. Never played online again after that, until about three months ago. I played against a woman, she continued putting me in the defense, until I outsmarted her and brought my queen out and placed her in the position of check mate, but the time I set for the game was 2 hours, and coincidently, the game timed out at the exact time that I put her in checkmate, so she won the game.

However, I was elated when I did win those two times against the computer because I realized my thinking outwitted whoever programmed or created the game. Essentially, that tells me I'm a better player than the computer.

I presently have installed Chessmaster challenge on my computer, the woman I played above. I've never played against her again or played anyone else either. It kinda bugged me that it timed out at that precise moment, what bullshit I thought.
Blair

Post by Blair »

yeah you should have won that game, what bullshit. It's enough to put anyone off playing online, when things like that happen.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Try playing against this online computer -

Much more difficult to win. Actually, I find level easy challenging, but I don't play chess that much either. Developing the ability to think 6 and more moves ahead requires quite a bit of mental conditioning. Basically, I don't value the game that much to devote the needed mental placicity to become an expert.

http://www.chess.com/play/computer.html
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:Try playing against this online computer -

Much more difficult to win. Actually, I find level easy challenging, but I don't play chess that much either. Developing the ability to think 6 and more moves ahead requires quite a bit of mental conditioning. Basically, I don't value the game that much to devote the needed mental placicity to become an expert.

http://www.chess.com/play/computer.html
Mensa says: Yes, thanks Ryan for the link, I will definately play a game, I bookmarked this site into my favorites. I'll let you know how I fanned out.

I don't consider myself an expert at all, I only believe I'm good, not professional.
HUNTEDvsINVIS

Post by HUNTEDvsINVIS »

i do. my brother taught me. i soon surpassed him, though. Sometimes, just before i was going to win, he would throw the chess set onto the floor so i couldn't technically win! that's my bro! These days he is more mature, though, and so we play good games, but i still always win. I play the one minute games online, mostly to save time so i can play more games...I dislike playing with a specific strategy or formula because it is boring and not a challenge to me. i like to think on the spot. My games are always interesting or weird, that's all i have to offer, really.
Gurrb

Post by Gurrb »

i haven't played chess in a while. learned when i was 8, won my first game, but the guy who taught me wasn't very experienced. kind of fell out of chess when i was 12, nobody to really play at my level.
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

mensa-maniac wrote:I learned how to play chess when I was 22 years old, became good enough to beat my teacher.
Chess is my all time favorite game, it is more than just a game, it is strategic. At one time I could think eight moves ahead while anticipating my opponents moves. My brother Dan got into a game of chess through the mail with my other brother Alan. I never did find out the outcome.

Who Plays Chess here?
I don't believe you could think eight moves ahead - because then you would be Kasparov; http://www.nybooks.com/articles/23592
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

quote from the above link: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/23592

"Another staple, a variation of which is also used by Rasskin-Gutman, is to say there are more possible chess games than the number of atoms in the universe. All of these comparisons impress upon the casual observer why brute-force computer calculation can't solve this ancient board game. They are also handy, and I am not above doing this myself, for impressing people with how complicated chess is, if only in a largely irrelevant mathematical way."
I've heard that fact before (though it was phrased "in the known universe").

Inconceivable!
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

uncledote wrote:
mensa-maniac wrote:I learned how to play chess when I was 22 years old, became good enough to beat my teacher.

Who Plays Chess here?
I don't believe you could think eight moves ahead - because then you would be Kasparov; http://www.nybooks.com/articles/23592
Mensa says: Why don't you believe I could think eight moves ahead? Are you comparing yourself with me? It's very simple for someone who thinks the way I do. All you do is concentrate on one move and all the possible moves and your opponents moves to that one move, then you think about your second alternative and all the possible moves from that second move, and all the moves your opponent could make, you just keep doing this until you reach eight moves ahead. Never heard of Kasparov!
Gurrb

Post by Gurrb »

never heard of kasparov? hmm...
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Ok, so enlighten me to who Kasparov is.

I would like to know! Please no long lengthy explanation, simple, concise, and to the point, Thank you.
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

mensa-maniac wrote:Ok, so enlighten me to who Kasparov is.

I would like to know! Please no long lengthy explanation, simple, concise, and to the point, Thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasparov
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

I'm a chess fanatic. I'm also very fond of warfare, and I play Hearts of iron 2 all the time, which is probably the best and most comprehensive game on World war 2 ever made.
joetraff

Post by joetraff »

uncledote wrote:
mensa-maniac wrote:Ok, so enlighten me to who Kasparov is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasparov
Well done...
It's the best way to let people know about Kasparov.

I'm a web designer and here are two of my sites
how to make money online and
debt solutions