The Wisdom of Alexander Supertramp

Post questions or suggestions here.
Animus

The Wisdom of Alexander Supertramp

Post by Animus »

Two years he walks the earth.
No phone, no pool, no pets, no cigarettes. Ultimate freedom. An extremist. An aesthetic voyager whose home is the road. Escaped from Atlanta. Thou shalt not return, 'cause "the West is the best." And now after two rambling years comes the final and greatest adventure. The climactic battle to kill the false being within and victoriously conclude the spiritual pilgrimage. Ten days and nights of freight trains and hitchhiking bring him to the Great White North. No longer to be poisoned by civilization he flees, and walks alone upon the land to become lost in the wild.
— Alexander Supertramp
May 1992

"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
— Chris McCandless

"Surely all Americans have the right to give their money only to those causes which they support. But what kind of society has this created? A society where the ignorant reign. A society where enlightened must hold their tongues. A nation whose politicians must profess half-hearted devotion to an ancient fable or face the disastrous consequences of speaking their true mind."
Chris McCandless writing on religious fanaticism in The Emory Wheel student newspaper, October 1987

"Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth."
— Chris expanded on the original quote by Henry David Thoreau

"Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."
— Chris McCandless in Into the Wild movie, speaking to Ronald Franz.

"There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society where none intrudes,
By the deep sea and the music in its roar;
I love not man the less, but Nature more."
— Lord Byron

"I want to go up to them and say Stop,
don't do it— she's the wrong woman,
he's the wrong man, you are going to do things
you cannot imagine you would ever do."
— Sharon Olds, May 1937

"I have lived through much and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet, secluded life in the country with the possibility of being useful to people..."
— Leo Tolstoy

"...the sea's only gifts are harsh blows and, occasionally, the chance to feel strong. Now, I don't know much about the sea, but I do know that that's the way it is here. And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong, to measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions, facing blind, deaf stone alone, with nothing to help you but your own hands and your own head..."
— Bear Meat by Primo Levi
Animus

Re: The Wisdom of Alexander Supertramp

Post by Animus »

See: Into the Wild

Another film I saw recently that I found interesting was Peaceful Warrior (click to see clips edit part 1)
Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

It's a really good movie that Into the Wild. It got me interested in reading some Thoreau.
Animus

Post by Animus »

I just watched it this weekend and my thought was "I gotta read some Thoreau"
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Animus wrote:Two years he walks the earth.
No phone, no pool, no pets, no cigarettes. Ultimate freedom. An extremist. An aesthetic voyager whose home is the road. Escaped from Atlanta. Thou shalt not return, 'cause "the West is the best." And now after two rambling years comes the final and greatest adventure. The climactic battle to kill the false being within and victoriously conclude the spiritual pilgrimage. Ten days and nights of freight trains and hitchhiking bring him to the Great White North. No longer to be poisoned by civilization he flees, and walks alone upon the land to become lost in the wild.
— Alexander Supertramp
May 1992

"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
— Chris McCandless

"Surely all Americans have the right to give their money only to those causes which they support. But what kind of society has this created? A society where the ignorant reign. A society where enlightened must hold their tongues. A nation whose politicians must profess half-hearted devotion to an ancient fable or face the disastrous consequences of speaking their true mind."
Chris McCandless writing on religious fanaticism in The Emory Wheel student newspaper, October 1987

"Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth."
— Chris expanded on the original quote by Henry David Thoreau

"Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."
— Chris McCandless in Into the Wild movie, speaking to Ronald Franz.

"There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society where none intrudes,
By the deep sea and the music in its roar;
I love not man the less, but Nature more."
— Lord Byron

"I want to go up to them and say Stop,
don't do it— she's the wrong woman,
he's the wrong man, you are going to do things
you cannot imagine you would ever do."
— Sharon Olds, May 1937

"I have lived through much and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet, secluded life in the country with the possibility of being useful to people..."
— Leo Tolstoy

"...the sea's only gifts are harsh blows and, occasionally, the chance to feel strong. Now, I don't know much about the sea, but I do know that that's the way it is here. And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong, to measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions, facing blind, deaf stone alone, with nothing to help you but your own hands and your own head..."
— Bear Meat by Primo Levi
That was excellent Animus, thanks for sharing.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

I've quoted Henry David Thoreau in my writing, archived here at the forum. He's a naturalist as well as an author.

Yes, talking to much invites trouble, but I don't fear it, I oppose and handle it accurately!
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

An inspiring and provocative movie; inspired and provocative quotes. I saw it not long ago; might watch it again. A taste of something higher and beyond.
markjay50

Post by markjay50 »

That was excellent Animus, thanks for sharing...!!!

""" GOD BLESS ALWEYS """

make money online
Blair

Post by Blair »

mensa-maniac wrote:He's a naturalist as well as an author.
Wow!, give the guy a fucking medal...
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Dick Proenneke appreciated nature at least as much as the Supertramp, but he was more the realist, thus, less attached to delusion.

His is an inspiring story of self-reliance, if it catches your interest.

Here’s some clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss