Novel Research In Biology:

Post questions or suggestions here.
Ryan Rudolph

Novel Research In Biology:

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

I've been trying to come up with some of the more novel types of biology research going on, and if you are knowledgeable in any of the following, let me know. And if you can think of research topics that are novel that are not mentioned, state them, and your knowledge.

1. Raising the fetus outside the women's body in an artificial womb/placenta.

2. Stem cell research to cause organ and brain renewel, treat cancer, and many other diseases.

3. Cellular regenerative therapy using techniques to target damage that builds of in the cells due to the prolonged effects of metabolic processes.

4. Enhancing the immune system to make it search and destroy cancer cells, or search and repair damaged cells.

5. Activating the self-destruct mechanism in the cancer cell through genetic manipulation.
Animus

Re: Novel Research In Biology:

Post by Animus »

I dunno, maybe this has been done already. What I'm interested in is whether or not altruistic behaviour is genuinely altruistic.

So it would be interesting to run an experiment where subjects were given an opportunity to be altruistic and then were snubbed or not recognized for their behaviour. If the subjects didn't feel rewarded for their altruism would it affect them (emotionally)? If so, then is this genuinely altruistic behaviour or is it reward-seeking? If given the opportunity to assist someone of different class does it effect the ratio of participants?

I basically want the nuts and bolts of altruism flat on the lab table. I've read a lot of back-and-forth diatribe about the plausibility of genuine altruism, but I haven't seen any good experimental evidence. I have my own critical examination of my life experiences, probably as interpreted from an ego-centric memory, but that's it. I mean, I infer that altruism is on sliding scale with egotism at the other end, but egotism can only be completely transcended in death. However people can be more or less altruistic in seeking pleasure in altruism or simply on principled conviction. People are more or less altruistic in that manner. This is basically the evolutionary psychologists version of altruism; egotistical-altruism. Genuine altruism is being defined as completely selfless, lacking egotism. I think its a pipe-dream. Even in the case of principled conviction it is a egotistical matter to hold so strongly to an idea. In that case a person is doing something because they vowed to, not because they felt compassion. Now, perhaps there is that exception of those who pursue truth and compassion, perhaps those rare few attain genuine altruism. Or perhaps there is simply a dualistic war between egotism and altruism going on in all of our minds. Whatever the case may be the biological sciences need to work it out. Sure its probably psychology, but that is closely related to biology.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Ryan,

Here's a site that might interest you: sens.org
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:I've been trying to come up with some of the more novel types of biology research going on, and if you are knowledgeable in any of the following, let me know. And if you can think of research topics that are novel that are not mentioned, state them, and your knowledge.

2. Stem cell research to cause organ and brain renewel, treat cancer, and many other diseases.

3. Cellular regenerative therapy using techniques to target damage that builds of in the cells due to the prolonged effects of metabolic processes.

4. Enhancing the immune system to make it search and destroy cancer cells, or search and repair damaged cells.

5. Activating the self-destruct mechanism in the cancer cell through genetic manipulation.
Wish I had time to look into them. all I can offer is that DNA is compacted pathways, and each pathway creates a bubble. In which liquid the bubbles can be compared I don't know, but it would be something inside the egg. I know nothing on the subject, I only know the forces required. It would take me hours to give you a better picture. You might be able to speed up the building blocks by putting an electric current in the liquid, but it might need a certain frequency (probably near 230 eV, but I haven't looked into voltage either yet unfortunately.. too much to do)., the polarity of the energy needs to be a close match to the electrons in the original DNA, and then gradually speed it up. It might not make perfect sense, but you might have something to compare my idea with, and then change my words into the correct terminology.

Then you need to map out every pattern, and compare it to the last, to build up the human Jigsaw puzzle. I must sound like a child on the subject to you.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Animus,

In my opinion, all altruistic behavior has causes, so there can be no selfless action, the word selfless seems to imply free-will to me, and so it is a sketchy term.

Any time I acted altruistically in the past, there were always underlying causes guiding my behavior, causes that I had no control over.

Some of the more common ones include:

1. The desire to be recognized by others as good, noble and high in character.
2. The reward of getting a favor in the future, whether sexual or financial.
3. Not wanting to see a person suffer if they do not have to.
4. The desire to make the world better.

Notice that some of these causes are more enlightened than others, but they are still caused. Therefore, there can be enlightened altruism, but it has causes, one is motivated by either higher or lower impulses. For instance: numbers 1&2 are more egotistical, the last two are a little more whole, but still selfish.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:I've been trying to come up with some of the more novel types of biology research going on, and if you are knowledgeable in any of the following, let me know. And if you can think of research topics that are novel that are not mentioned, state them, and your knowledge.

6. Human cloning to produce biological robots like George Bush Jr.

7. Bionic man, such as what is used in the super-warrior programs, with implants to produce super-strength, enhance psychic ability, etc.

8. Creation of sophisticated viruses and 'vaccines' that can be worked in tandem to reduce global population.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Nick,

interesting website, this aubrey de grey character that I was exposed to through Cory seems to be quite the biological visionary.

After recently reading his book, biology was revealed to me in a whole new light. His way of explaining science is quite novel.

The fact that he has knowledge of computers, engineering and so on, gives him a whole new way of looking at the cellular machinery. I think he will eventually be known as a scientist who was partly responsible for the large paradigm shift in biology that is starting to take root.

His way of thinking hopefully will spill over into other sciences. For instance: he is considered a quack because he is calling for us to totally overcome our own biology into order to live for thousands of years. It is the most extreme view in biology I know of, and if his attitude spills over into the psychology field then psychology will also collectively call for humans to overcome their psychological baggage.

better than just treating marriage problems or attempting to treat cancer of the colon.

Go big or go home I say!
Last edited by Ryan Rudolph on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Carl,
I don't believe cloning will ever take off. Not politically acceptable. Bush wouldn't allow stem cell research for his fear of cloning, which was unwarranted. He set biology back about 5 years with this decision. Politicians who know nothing of science shouldn't have the power to change policy like that. There should be an ethics committee in the congress that are well known scientists from academia.
7. Bionic man, such as what is used in the super-warrior programs, with implants to produce super-strength, enhance psychic ability, etc.
This is beginning to happen with unmanned vehicles and the flying drones that are hitting tribal villages in pakistan. Military operations are becoming more simulated and dependent on technology. Almost 'video game' like. This is to be suspected as governments are pressured to find ways to reduce human fatalities, while staying technologically head of other nations.
8. Creation of sophisticated viruses and 'vaccines' that can be worked in tandem to reduce global population.
Its possible this could happen, but theres no need really. As india industrializes and modernizes, population levels will decrease, and the one child policy in China, combined with the fact that males outnumber females significantly means there are millions of horny bachelors in China who are frustrated by the fact that they cannot spread their genes.

And many other developed countries are seeing either zero or negative population growth, while others are seeing very small positive growth.

I don't think we need population growth anymore anyway, A comfortable world population would probably be somewhere around 2 billion, without putting too much strain on the planet.

I think the world should adopt of voluntary one child policy worldwide to begin to change the attitude about reproduction. Even two children per couple is too much given the environmental pressures and strain on natural resources. One or none I say.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:interesting website, this aubrey de grey character that I was exposed to through Cory seems to be quite the biological visionary.

After recently reading his book, biology was revealed to me in a whole new light. His way of explaining science is quite novel.
There's some videos on youtube featuring him as well if you haven't checked them out.
Ryan Rudolph wrote:The fact that he has knowledge of computers, engineering and so on, gives him a whole new way of looking at the cellular machinery. I think he will eventually be known as a scientist who was partly responsible for the large paradigm shift in biology that is starting to take root.
Yeah he has a "big picture" outlook when it comes to biology, which is why so many scientists find it hard to relate to him. Other scientists spend so much time and effort trying to do just one little thing that they see his goals and ambition as disrespectful of their own field of work or consider him naive when it comes to how much time, money, and effort it would take to even begin what he wants to accomplish. But it's this kind of out of the box thinking that we need if we want to take the next step in mastering our own biology.
Ryan Rudolph wrote:Go big or go home I say!
From what I can tell, what he is talking about is entirely possible, but it would take a massive coordinated effort the likes of which we have haven't seen since WWII. I'd like to see a Manhattan style project enacted by world governments to find the cure for aging. With all the money we spend on building bombs and barbie dolls there's no financial reason it can't be done. It's just a matter of getting our priorities straight.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:Carl,
I don't believe cloning will ever take off. Not politically acceptable.
Ryan, have you ever heard of black projects? It is likely that cloning has been going on for decades.
This is beginning to happen with unmanned vehicles and the flying drones that are hitting tribal villages in pakistan. Military operations are becoming more simulated and dependent on technology. Almost 'video game' like. This is to be suspected as governments are pressured to find ways to reduce human fatalities, while staying technologically head of other nations.
That is interesting, but it has nothing to do with the subject of bionic man and the super-soldier programs that have been going on since the sixties.
Its possible this could happen, but theres no need really. As india industrializes and modernizes, population levels will decrease, and the one child policy in China, combined with the fact that males outnumber females significantly means there are millions of horny bachelors in China who are frustrated by the fact that they cannot spread their genes.

And many other developed countries are seeing either zero or negative population growth, while others are seeing very small positive growth.
While true, these trends will not reduce population fast enough for the Powers That Be. There are simply too many "useless mouths" to feed, for their liking. That's why they have engineered reduction methods such as pandemic. Swine flu and its 'vaccine' may well be poised now in the top tray of their New World Order toolbox.
Good Citizen Carl
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Carl G wrote:While true, these trends will not reduce population fast enough for the Powers That Be. There are simply too many "useless mouths" to feed, for their liking. That's why they have engineered reduction methods such as pandemic. Swine flu and its 'vaccine' may well be poised now in the top tray of their New World Order toolbox.
Yes, the deliberate "eradication" of smallpox led to the deliberate "introduction" of HIV.
Don't run to your death
Nick

Post by Nick »

Speaking of priorities, here's what the largest privately funded construction project in history has in store for us. Cha-Ching!
Animus

Post by Animus »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:Animus,

In my opinion, all altruistic behavior has causes, so there can be no selfless action, the word selfless seems to imply free-will to me, and so it is a sketchy term.

Any time I acted altruistically in the past, there were always underlying causes guiding my behavior, causes that I had no control over.

Some of the more common ones include:

1. The desire to be recognized by others as good, noble and high in character.
2. The reward of getting a favor in the future, whether sexual or financial.
3. Not wanting to see a person suffer if they do not have to.
4. The desire to make the world better.

Notice that some of these causes are more enlightened than others, but they are still caused. Therefore, there can be enlightened altruism, but it has causes, one is motivated by either higher or lower impulses. For instance: numbers 1&2 are more egotistical, the last two are a little more whole, but still selfish.
this is my sentiment, but in reading the literature from psychology and philosophy there doesn't seem to be much empirical testing. There are plenty who assert that selfless altruism is a common property of humans.
patricia39

Post by patricia39 »

I am a major of Biology and I have read a lot of novels about the subject itself. "The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language" by Steven Pinker is one of my well kept book. The book is very excellent as the author did his best to give all the information needed by the readers.

my novel Essay
Last edited by patricia39 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
namae nanka

Post by namae nanka »

Not directly related to biological research, but quite interesting:

http://www.suicidenote.info/suicide_note.htm

what's the point of biological research when technological research will make it and the limits that it places on humans redundant.