Dan, please stop!!!

Post questions or suggestions here.
NeedHelp

Dan, please stop!!!

Post by NeedHelp »

Can you please let me post for a little while. I promise I'll go soon. I just want to write a few things and read a few responses. That's all!

I think it's my thinking that made me ill. Fix that, and I should be alright. My brain is not the issue (it's not neurological, it's functional).

Dan, I've been banned for 1/2year, so please...
NeedHelp

Re: Dan, please stop!!!

Post by NeedHelp »

Continuing from thread: "Fell into some troubles... (requesting insight)"
BMcGilly07 wrote:What exactly was it that you couldn't deal with?
I had trouble dealing with myself.
skipair wrote:When things aren't going right, stop what you're doing and try something else. I LOVE to:

1) Get outside, feel the SUN on my skin!!!
2) Exercise outside!!! (run, weights, sport, etc)

Sometimes we have to wait for the mind to make its own progess, that's natural. You can probably think of things you love to do. I can't recommend exercise and sun enough! Come back to the mind later, and find that it's been rearranged.
For some reason, with me, it seems that my brain is my enemy. Nothing seems to get rearranged and my problems from a previous time persist. I have trouble focusing on the task at hand. It's as if my brain won't leave me alone until something is resolved, but what?
Shahrazad wrote:leftinruins,

If you are who I think you are, may I remind you that Dan Rowden advised you more than once to not think philosophically while you did not have enough control of your mind? He told you to get your brain medically stable, and then do philosophy. It was sound advice from a sage, and did you listen? No.

If you are not that kid who has been banned from this site dozens of times and comes back every time under a new name, then please disregard this post. But I'd bet my bank account that you are.
Look, I'm not a kid. This is serious and your not helping. What is your purpose on here? (trolling?)
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:Take insanity as the compliment it is. You've obviously got some very abnormal values. Do you find yourself not interested in working or anything you'd get from working?
I have trouble concentrating, so work would be very uncomfortable. By the way, what do you mean by: "Take insanity as the compliment it is"? Perhaps you've never had it this bad!
Dan Rowden wrote:To the OP,

If you are under some form of formal psychiatric care that is what is best and appropriate for you right now. Forget philosophy for now. Just chill for a year.

And STOP coming back here. Forget this place.
Sounds like you're looking out for me. I'll go in a day or two. OK? Thanks! (I need this)

Let the healing begin...
Last edited by NeedHelp on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

needhelp,
Look, I'm not a kid. This is serious and your not helping. What is your purpose on here? (trolling?)
That is far from being true. I have compassion for you, and I am trying to help. Your mind was psychotic the first time you got here. It is you who have failed to take your mental illness seriously. Thinking philosophically has only made things worse for you.

I have a daughter your age who also has a serious mental illness. You remind me of her. I am not your enemy.
skipair

Post by skipair »

NeedHelp wrote:For some reason, with me, it seems that my brain is my enemy. Nothing seems to get rearranged and my problems from a previous time persist. I have trouble focusing on the task at hand. It's as if my brain won't leave me alone until something is resolved, but what?
If I were King, I'd send soldiers to your house and have them take you elsewhere, force you to get you on a kind diet with no alcohol or drugs, get you outside in the sun and on a *Daily Exercise Routine*. A bit like Tom Cruise in "The Last Samurai". If you want to learn sword fighting that could be arranged.

It's hard to make a drastic change in your life, but the people who don't make a good enough effort are worthless to me.

I'm not sure if you often tap into Warrior Mode, that unbelievably fierce intensity that makes everything come under your power. The energy of the warriors in "300", or of a sports team coming back to win against all odds. Awaken that warrior in yourself and carve the new habits you want deeply into your life. There is no substitute for a loud, long, and blooducurdling warcry. Literally.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

NeedHelp, not only your brain is your enemy but you're literary at war with yourself. Every step you're just sabotaging any progress and are hiding this fact for yourself. People are specialized in hiding, it's their "main thing". So indeed you need help, perhaps you indeed need being 'forced' for a while. I mean, it's not like you're in control right now, is it? Submit yourself to proper care and the moment you realize you're becoming a danger to yourself or others, incapable of sorting anything out: commit yourself voluntary to an institution for some evaluation and grounding. Many bright minds went before you.

The help you need you won't find here anyway. You are here because it distracts you from what you should be doing, that is: getting the practical basis of life, the essentials: stability first.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

NeedHelp wrote:Can you please let me post for a little while. I promise I'll go soon. I just want to write a few things and read a few responses. That's all!

I think it's my thinking that made me ill. Fix that, and I should be alright. My brain is not the issue (it's not neurological, it's functional).

Dan, I've been banned for 1/2year, so please...
You have never spent that period of time away from this place. Never. Not even close. You need to be honest with yourself and appreciate that it is very likely your problem is, in fact, neurological and not functional. You're a bright enough young man so I'm quite confident it's not merely functional. That's honesty about the situation is the place where healing will begin. At the very least you must exhaust the possibility that it's neurological. It seems to me, and clearly to others, that you are hell bent on being in denial about that possibility. Let go of that ASAP. Let go of your vanity, your pride; I understand feelings, but they are not helping. If it is neurological, and I have zero doubt of it, then the acceptance of that will be the first step to taking other steps which will actually allow you the sort of control over your mind you're seeking. There are people on this board and others that no longer or only occasionally post here, such as Katy, who have long since taken these steps and are the better for it.

You say you are not a kid. Fine, then be a man already.

I'll give you those 2 days, but that's it.
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

Something Trevor said in the other thread about you having abnormal values, and taking insanity as the compliment that it is. There's nothing like wasted or misused insanity.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

From Wiki

"...I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

The saying was a response to a young rich man who had asked Jesus what he needed to do in order to inherit eternal life. Jesus replied that he should keep the commandments. To which the man stated he had done. Jesus responded, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." The young man became sad and was unwilling to do this. Jesus then spoke this response, leaving his disciples astonished."
It is said that to reach enlightenment one must loose the ego. I would say it is more like unravelling the ego and re-working it into a long thread - an act that requires a generally calm mind and mental discipline, and courage.

My view about many mental problems is that they are often caused by one's ego going rampant in some fashion. Sort of like a form of cancer of the ego. This cancer causes erratic egotistical actions that cause negative reactions in others. Left untreated or incorrectly treated for a long time the cancer becomes difficult to personally manage, and one becomes insane. Even problems that were initially a result of some physical factor, can still become extremely inflated and cause mental illness, due as much or more to what has influenced the ego than the brain itself.

Even if one is not insane, the outcome of a cancerous ego, will often leave the ego with a sense of defeat, leading to depression and desperation. It collapses within itself and needs to be repaired before it can be reinflated.

I agree with what some of the others have said. Distract yourself with healthy living. Boost up your physical energy in a positive disciplined way. Stay away from philosophy. Strive to train your ego to not induce feelings of having do some habitual thing or have some desire fulfilled, that you know might end up quite negative. Know that it is your deflated ego that makes you think you don’t have the courage to make some probable positive change - ignore it and do it anyway. Stay away from hero fantasies.
NeedHelp

Post by NeedHelp »

Shahrazad wrote:That is far from being true. I have compassion for you, and I am trying to help. Your mind was psychotic the first time you got here.
Why would you say that? You couldn't possibly know that. And as a fact, I wasn't experiencing any mental problems 2 years ago, when I first stumbled onto this goldmine (or so I thought).
Thinking philosophically has only made things worse for you.
I suspect that's true, but I can't seem to stop. It's not like I have 2 thinking modes - 1 being philosophical and the other, non-... It's all the same to me. Is that obtuse?
I have a daughter your age who also has a serious mental illness. You remind me of her. I am not your enemy.
I'm sorry to hear that. Out of curiosity: what has she been diagnosed with and how is she currently doing?
skipair wrote:If I were King, I'd send soldiers to your house and have them take you elsewhere, force you to get you on a kind diet with no alcohol or drugs, get you outside in the sun and on a *Daily Exercise Routine*.
I plan to start something similar soon (long distance biking, sunsets/sunrises, definitely zero alcohol, strict diet, etc). If you've uncovered any specific largely unknown tricks to changing one's life... Do tell! (it's extremely difficult to change for the better)
I'm not sure if you often tap into Warrior Mode, that unbelievably fierce intensity that makes everything come under your power. The energy of the warriors in "300", or of a sports team coming back to win against all odds. Awaken that warrior in yourself and carve the new habits you want deeply into your life. There is no substitute for a loud, long, and blooducurdling warcry. Literally.

That reminds me of Gattaca!
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:People are specialized in hiding, it's their "main thing". So indeed you need help, perhaps you indeed need being 'forced' for a while. I mean, it's not like you're in control right now, is it?
Hiding? Yeah, I've done a lot of that since I was told that I'm ill. Right now, I think I am in control... (I was just reading, Amazonia, by James Rollins (good book!). I read a few pages and noticed that I'm able to read. Not just read, but actually enjoy it. It brought back pleasant memories from back when I was considered normal and reading.)

...However, I'd like to be a little more in control. Or wait, maybe the best thing would be to lose control and let my subconscious deal with it.
The help you need you won't find here anyway. You are here because it distracts you from what you should be doing, that is: getting the practical basis of life, the essentials: stability first.
Who knows? Maybe all I need is right here?
Dan Rowden wrote:You have never spent that period of time away from this place. Never. Not even close. You need to be honest with yourself and appreciate that it is very likely your problem is, in fact, neurological and not functional. You're a bright enough young man so I'm quite confident it's not merely functional. That's honesty about the situation is the place where healing will begin. At the very least you must exhaust the possibility that it's neurological. It seems to me, and clearly to others, that you are hell bent on being in denial about that possibility. Let go of that ASAP. Let go of your vanity, your pride; I understand feelings, but they are not helping. If it is neurological, and I have zero doubt of it, then the acceptance of that will be the first step to taking other steps which will actually allow you the sort of control over your mind you're seeking. There are people on this board and others that no longer or only occasionally post here, such as Katy, who have long since taken these steps and are the better for it.
Dan, I really don't think that I have anything neurologically wrong with me. And it just so happens that I have a CT scan scheduled for today. Fingers crossed. I do like to make sure. Let me guess, the scan won't prove anything? (I need to believe...)
You say you are not a kid. Fine, then be a man already.
I need that explained to me. Or have I got it right: take control, do what you say your going to do, etc...?
I'll give you those 2 days, but that's it.
OK, thanks!
BMcGilly07 wrote:Something Trevor said in the other thread about you having abnormal values, and taking insanity as the compliment that it is. There's nothing like wasted or misused insanity.
Define it.
My view about many mental problems is that they are often caused by one's ego going rampant in some fashion. Sort of like a form of cancer of the ego. This cancer causes erratic egotistical actions that cause negative reactions in others. Left untreated or incorrectly treated for a long time the cancer becomes difficult to personally manage, and one becomes insane. Even problems that were initially a result of some physical factor, can still become extremely inflated and cause mental illness, due as much or more to what has influenced the ego than the brain itself.

Even if one is not insane, the outcome of a cancerous ego, will often leave the ego with a sense of defeat, leading to depression and desperation. It collapses within itself and needs to be repaired before it can be reinflated.
One for non-neurological problems!
NeedHelp

Post by NeedHelp »

OK, I've had enough...

Goodbye
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

I have to run right now, but I was going to come back in 2 or 3 hours and reply to your post. So stop by later.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Shah: Your mind was psychotic the first time you got here.

needhelp: Why would you say that? You couldn't possibly know that. And as a fact, I wasn't experiencing any mental problems 2 years ago, when I first stumbled onto this goldmine (or so I thought).
I've known you since you got here, and your thinking was already confused. Your posts showed that you didn't have much control of your mind. IIRC, you yourself admitted at the time that you were having problems.
Shah: Thinking philosophically has only made things worse for you.

needhelp: I suspect that's true, but I can't seem to stop. It's not like I have 2 thinking modes - 1 being philosophical and the other, non-... It's all the same to me. Is that obtuse?
I think I know what you mean. You're a reflexive person. But you can help it by staying away from real deep questions, such as "what's the nature of reality?" Your mind needs more stability before you can press it with heavy-duty thinking. It can cause you to panic.
Shah: I have a daughter your age who also has a serious mental illness. You remind me of her.

needhelp: I'm sorry to hear that. Out of curiosity: what has she been diagnosed with and how is she currently doing?
She's been diagnosed a lot of things through the years. I just tell people she's partly autistic because it's easier, but it's a lot more complicated than that. She does have a thought disorder. But I'm sure nobody here besides you is interested in hearing about my daughter's illness.

By the way, I do think what you have is neurological, and if not, it at least has to do with your brain chemistry. You've been dealing with this problem for at least two years, and no matter how hard you try, things don't get better. You're a smart dude but you can't straighten out your brain. That should be a sign that it is not just functional, as you say. There is an organic reason for the bad functioning.

P.S. It took me longer to get back here than I thought, and you just wouldn't believe the reason why. About an hour after I posted here, I had a bad fall and fractured my foot. I was not expecting that at all.

-
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Shahrazad wrote:P.S. It took me longer to get back here than I thought, and you just wouldn't believe the reason why. About an hour after I posted here, I had a bad fall and fractured my foot. I was not expecting that at all.
Hope you had a nice trip. Se you next fall!
All seriousness aside, I hope you are feeling better, Shah. Bone pain is the worst, IMO.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Thank you, Broken. I can keep the pain to a minimum by not moving. But I'm not having much fun like this. And we have big elections on Sunday.
Blair

Post by Blair »

Then get to it, idiot.

Do you want the world to cry for you?
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Why would you think that, imbecile?
Foreigner

Sympathy

Post by Foreigner »

I heard one today: (something like) If it's sympathy you want, then you may find it in the dictionary!
FOREIGNER
Animus

Post by Animus »

If your brain can be changed behaviourly, it will be through the long repeated practice of constraining that behaviour and practicing more desired behaviour.

Neural Plasticity can be accelerated by exercising.

Of course all mental phenomena are also neurological phenomena.