Inspirational Movies

Post questions or suggestions here.
Tomas

Re: Inspirational Movies

Post by Tomas »

-Shahrazad-
Has John Malin coined a new definition of the word blog?

-tomas-
No, I've seen this in other places over the years. In many ways, Malin is correct in his usage of the term. The various threads, with their differing subject matter do constitute the term 'blog'.

-Shah-
I think I'm going to start using it too, instead of "post".

-tomas-
Why not :-)

PS - In regards to what is happening over at GENIUS, seems Carl and Dan are busy snooping on the Malin Brothers, whether they are for real or not. The braggadocio angle, I believe. A several billion dollar company ain't peanuts...

Whatever, he appears learned in many areas. I'd rather cultivate his positives than to harangue somebody on the nuances... but then, Carl seems to have nothing better to offer than to chase off interesting prospects. Note: He has a hard-on for me and Ryan. Cory noticed it, too. He seems to believe he has the edge on politically correct philosophy on this board. Our good buddy, Alex noticed this straightaway. Another good reason to keep the shower door locked...
Don't run to your death
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Tomas wrote:-Shahrazad-
Has John Malin coined a new definition of the word blog?

-tomas-
No, I've seen this in other places over the years. In many ways, Malin is correct in his usage of the term. The various threads, with their differing subject matter do constitute the term 'blog'.
Are you saying a thread is a blog, or a post is a blog. John was calling each post a blog. I started doing that, too, just to see how it sounded.

PS - In regards to what is happening over at GENIUS, seems Carl and Dan are busy snooping on the Malin Brothers, whether they are for real or not. The braggadocio angle, I believe.
You are wrong. I did it just for fun. Curious to see where the man's long signature might lead. He's the one putting that out there, up front and all.
A several billion dollar company ain't peanuts...
Are you guessing about the company's worth and/or revenues?
Whatever, he appears learned in many areas. I'd rather cultivate his positives than to harangue somebody on the nuances...
Nobody's haranguing John, as far as I can tell. I was having a little fun with him, he's so serious with his learnedness. I was hoping to loosen his collar. I seem to have tightened yours.
but then, Carl seems to have nothing better to offer than to chase off interesting prospects.
Who have I chased off?
Note: He has a hard-on for me and Ryan. Cory noticed it, too. He seems to believe he has the edge on politically correct philosophy on this board. Our good buddy, Alex noticed this straightaway. Another good reason to keep the shower door locked...
Pitiful office gossip. I didn't take you for the type. For the record, if I have a "hard-on" it is for illogic, delusion, and twaddle. If you or any of those others put forth any of those you might hear from me. So what? That's part of what the board is for, as far as I can tell. You will probably disagree.

Post by Blair »

Primer
Office Space
School of Rock
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

The Nerds

Edit to add:

The real name of the movie was "Revenge of the Nerds", and it was followed by Revenge of the Nerds II, III and IV.
Last edited by Shahrazad on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnEDPMalin

Post by JohnEDPMalin »

To the Group:

I think we can all agree that David is our webmaster [ = "the one who financially supports the website"; pays for the domain name, maintenance and up-dated software, etc.]

John E.D.P. Malin

--
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Actually, the site is free (as far as I know), Kevin Solway takes care of the software side of things, while Dan Rowden does most of the admin work. I'm just an interloper who occasionally moderates.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Ignius wrote:What are some great movies that have changed your life, or come close to changing your life by making you almost take that first step....? I'm talking about movies similar to: Good Will Hunting, etc... You know, you've got this awesome power, now all you've got to do is harness it... Change your life, etc... So, yeah, what are some great movies??? You're all time favs, and why?

Rocky is also good, Gattaca, etc... Movies like that. Movies where you've got someone fighting against their genes and succeeding, or someone coming out of the gutter and concurring the world. You know.

?
Down And Out In Beverly Hills

Killdozer

Soylent Green
Don't run to your death
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I recently watched 1 minute, 25 seconds of Sister Act 11, which inspired me to turn the TV off and do something sane and productive, thus changing my life for the better.

Whoopi is my mentor.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Dan Rowden wrote:I recently watched 1 minute, 25 seconds of Sister Act 11, which inspired me to turn the TV off and do something sane and productive, thus changing my life for the better.

Whoopi is my mentor.
Haven't seen any of her movies, however I will take a peek at her morning show once a month about, if that.

She has nice hair.
Don't run to your death
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-JohnEDPMalin-
To the Group: I think we can all agree that David is our webmaster

-tomas-
Yup, I second the motion.

-Big John-
[ = "the one who financially supports the website";

-tomas-
No doubt, and the brains of the outfit.

-Big John-
pays for the domain name,

-tomas-
Well, you best pony up some of your extra cash..

-Big John-
maintenance and up-dated software, etc.]

-tomas-
That's our David, busy as a beaver :-)

-Big John-
John E.D.P. Malin

-tomas-
Golly, three middle names? Your parents musta been hoping for quadruplets :-/
Don't run to your death
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Tomas,
She [Whoopi Goldberg?] has nice hair.
That is funny.
Jizm

Post by Jizm »

1. Titanic
2. The Good, the bad, and the Ugly
3. Fearless Hyena
4. Enter the dragon
4. Rambo III
5. Kung-Fu Panda
6. Ironman
7. Superman 1,2,3, and 4
8. King Kong
9. Nightmare on Elm Street
10. The Evil Dead
11. X-Men
Animus

The Dark Knight

Post by Animus »

After sitting through a whole hell of a lot of violence, action and character building, the film The Dark Knight (Batman) actually reaches an inspirational moment when Harvey Dentz (Two-Face) takes the rap for being Batman. From that point on the movie focuses on this supposed greater virtue of sacrificing one's self for the good of humanity.
Jizm

Post by Jizm »

Dark Knight was a superhero classic. It reminded me of what Batman is really about. The Batmobile was ugly, lacked innovation and invention. All the villains where super dangerous. It's one of the best movies in recent times. Ever since it's release ther hasn't been a better big screen movie. How about the sequel?
volta

Post by volta »

As far as movies which meet the criteria inspirational or life changing, them's slim pickin's to be sure. Even the more cerebral and philosophical flics mentioned above hardly had me leaving the theatre invigorated with a new sense of passion and purpose. The ones that made any impression beyond mere entertainment were the movies which exposed some sort of human evil or corruption (Killing Fields etc...) but after many jaded years on Earth even the capacity for human evil bores me now.

But I did hear that Gremlins III was totally awesome if you watch it on crack sitting in a bubble bath.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

You're right, there's not much inspiration to be gained from movies, other than maybe a temporary elevated emotional feeling about God, self, love, or country, which fades as quickly as the dying sparks from a giant roman candle, leaving only vague vestiges of 'that was good'.

I did go through a period in my late teens when certain movies I saw were inspiring me to make movies. I actually did make movies, and almost went to film school. Ultimately I came to a crossroads, and there decided Hollywood life wasn't for me.

So yeah, Porky's Revenge, a case of twinkies and a 6-pack of Mountain Dew.
Animus

Post by Animus »

I haven't seen the sequel.

I thought that Batman would save Rachel for sure (I hadn't realized Dentz was Two-face), and thought it to be a typical move by Hollywood, the hero saves the girl he loves. But the point was that he sacrificed that for what he thought to be a greater ideal. And the ending, the whole film ends up being this story of sacrifice for virtue. Its not even as if saving Two-Face was a good thing, in the end.

I like movies that stray from the Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy mentallity of Hollywood. Where the bad guy wins (and not cause he's disproportionately powerful) because he gets lucky, fate is on his side.
Jizm wrote:Dark Knight was a superhero classic. It reminded me of what Batman is really about. The Batmobile was ugly, lacked innovation and invention. All the villains where super dangerous. It's one of the best movies in recent times. Ever since it's release ther hasn't been a better big screen movie. How about the sequel?
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Aesop Rock - Zodiacupuncture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNX4spGpIOc

The new Nietzsche (Uber). Writing books in paragraphs.
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

The Fifth Element