The Singularity is Near

Post questions or suggestions here.
Remo

The Singularity is Near

Post by Remo »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near <wiki summary
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-bac3afb2.html <the book

Very interesting theory of the effects of technology and where possibly humanity is heading, I highly recommend reading more than just the summary.

1.That a technological-evolutionary point known as "the singularity" exists as an achievable goal for humanity (the exact nature of the point is an arbitrarily high level of technology).
2.That through a law of accelerating returns, technology is progressing toward the singularity at an exponential rate.
3.That the functionality of the human brain is quantifiable in terms of technology that we can build in the near future.
4.That medical advancements could keep a significant number of his generation (Baby Boomers) alive long enough for the exponential growth of technology to intersect and surpass the processing of the human brain.
We never learn...
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: The Singularity is Near

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

What I find remarkable is that most proponents of this theory interpret the singularity or 'omega point' as a good thing. It could just as well be comparable with how a dying person sees his whole life flashing by in the last seconds of his life. Or the theoretical drop into a black hole, passing the event horizon: a long drawn-out approach with seemingly infinitive compression occurring. But for the viewpoint of an outside observer, one is just going down in an ugly way.

Just offering an opposing viewpoint for the sake of clarity. I haven't decided yet on a moral value.

No doubt there's an acceleration noticeable with human affairs, like a river running toward the sea. But I suspect the 'next thing' might not be what is described in this theory. What if the whole body of information and technology implodes, collapses in itself? It will only keep detailing and rehash existing technology. Until that would become abandoned.

The real problems of the world, its suffering are after all not caused or solved by technology but by the minds using or abusing it. And all fueled by very real macroscopic power relations, like economics and ideologies. The idea that technology radically could alter our minds in a positive or controlled way, I find highly speculative, without much of an indication at present times.
Remo

Post by Remo »

Well from a moral point of view, how can it get worse?
we lie
we hurt
we cheat
we steal
we betray
we die

And somewhere in all that we have a few moments that we consider make it all worthwhile...

I think we admire ourselves a bit too much if you ask me....

I for one, will welcome for our electronic overlords and implants with a sigh of relief:D

-----
just read that they are making a big-budget docu-drama based on his book
We never learn...
brad walker

Post by brad walker »

The Singularity is the Sci-Fi Rapture.
tek0

Post by tek0 »

The probability the species in it's near entirety will be privy to this no matter if the artificial capabilities exceed the task of reining in and enhancing existing humanity if and when this happens is slim to none.

All "evidence" points to the fact that the jerk offs who run the banks and hence control the minds who design and develop this technology will continually keep the knowledge and applications tightly within their own power structures and families.

Ultimately it boils down to what their AI and quantum computers have already sussed out for them.

Yes it alreadly exists why do you think they are all so cocky and upset that the rest of us are still here making such a mess.

They are fully aware that we are quite rapidly becoming obsolete no matter how useful or obsolete as individuals.

So do what they expect and seek maximum pleasure out of the time you have here as it will all be fixed or abandoned.

If I am wrong I suspect none of the garbage we thought will make much of a difference and it will be corrected to some degree.

Otherwise expect what Orwell feared and others have suspected which is enslavement technology and posh anti-gravity rides for the most cunning and ruthless.