Robots on youtube - links.

Post questions or suggestions here.
hsandman

Robots on youtube - links.

Post by hsandman »

Last edited by hsandman on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a ride.
Dan Rowden

Re: Robots on youtube links.

Post by Dan Rowden »

And your point is.........................?
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

Dan Rowden wrote:And your point is.........................?
It is just amazing how far robotics have evolved in such a short time, and how DOD is driving all this inovation.

One point of this would be:

Warfare is going to get really, really interesting very, very soon or :

Robot Overlords - Don't be afraid of the Robots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KpHWqNUCYs
It's just a ride.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I don't think so. The best AI one can find open source is as dumb as shit. I think you're projecting.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

Dan Rowden wrote:I don't think so. The best AI one can find open source is as dumb as shit. I think you're projecting.
Have you seen monty the robot? He is almost there as in very close to terminator protatype. Excellent build and AGI combo. Of course you have to keep in mind that the best stuff is on the "need to know basis".

Monty just needs to join the uper and lower halves together.

Watch these vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/tlbtlbtlb0

Indeed the impressive AI is not needed that badly for a steady humanoid weapons platform to be highly usefull. In the computer reading thoughts video links I posted you can see how swimmingly they are proceeding with mind – to - robot ("telepathic" ) link contract. One "Counterstrike player/soldier/zombie" at home or in suspended state, could take control of any of these bodies in any place of the world. (With excessive distances you would get some "lag" in signal/response, but I think amount would be negligible.) All you need is very fast delivery system for the “monties”. Fortunately metal bodies don't mind hundreds of G's pressure of fast acceleration.

Combine that with the rest of the latest innovations, such as partial invisibility, optical radar (etc) sensors on these monties, and you get a super soldiers. You don't need army anymore; you just need few elite squads that can self repair etc. and you are looking at definition of the word "Overkill".

Impressive AGI can wait another decade.
It's just a ride.
snow bunny

Post by snow bunny »

Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Can you explain to me why you are here?
snow bunny

Post by snow bunny »

Dan Rowden wrote:Can you explain to me why you are here?
Not to get busy with you! You just ban my IP address, but then you are getting into something else, a little more domineering.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

I agree Hsandman, the evolution of robotics is an interesting one, and it raises many questions. And don’t mind Dan Hsandman because I think eventually robots will be telling him that he is dumb as shit. As of late, I’ve been considering what affect the introduction of robots as laborers will have on the economy, and there seems to be many negative consequences in economic terms.

For instance: Companies will need to invest much more rigorously in the latest robotics technology to stay competitive in the economy, so they will need much more capital, which will build on existing capital. This makes it easier for large powerful companies that are already powerful to require new technologies in a timely manner, but increasingly difficult for new companies that are trying to break into an industry. Also, having robotic employees makes it more difficult to acquire new capital because robots will reduce the numbers of the middle-class, which are the customers. The only solution is if high skilled technicians will be in increasingly higher demand, as low skilled jobs go obsolete.

However, I don’t believe that the increase demand in high skilled technicians will be equivalently proportionate to the amount of middle-class laborers that will be wiped out by the introduction robots. If this is true, then there will inevitably be an increase in the poor and welfare classes, and a decrease of middle-class workers because of the introduction of robots. Moreover, there will probably be a reduction in the number of companies because it will become easier for powerful companies to buy out other companies that are unable to compete with the raising costs of robotic investment, and so power will become increasingly concentrated into the hands of the few, making it almost impossible for the middle-class and welfare class to accumulate wealth.

I can also see a drastic increase in the number of the security and police personnel, whose sole duty will be to protect the assets of the elite class – (robots) One way to balance out this trend is if increasing numbers of the welfare classes that are unable to find jobs are given private land in the rural areas to work small farms to sustain themselves.

So perhaps there be a huge polarization as the rural zones become prominently more Feminine (return to less technology – domestic animals, no till farming, small organic plots, while the cities become increasingly militarized, robotized and automated. (Masculine) So essentially, the introduction of robotics could cause an anti-urbanization movement back into the rural zones by the individuals that cannot find work in the increasingly technological society.
snow bunny

Post by snow bunny »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:I agree Hsandman, the evolution of robotics is an interesting one, and it raises many questions. And don’t mind Dan Hsandman because I think eventually robots will be telling him that he is dumb as shit. As of late, I’ve been considering what affect the introduction of robots as laborers will have on the economy, and there seems to be many negative consequences in economic terms.

For instance: Companies will need to invest much more rigorously in the latest robotics technology to stay competitive in the economy, so they will need much more capital, which will build on existing capital. This makes it easier for large powerful companies that are already powerful to require new technologies in a timely manner, but increasingly difficult for new companies that are trying to break into an industry. Also, having robotic employees makes it more difficult to acquire new capital because robots will reduce the numbers of the middle-class, which are the customers. The only solution is if high skilled technicians will be in increasingly higher demand, as low skilled jobs go obsolete.

However, I don’t believe that the increase demand in high skilled technicians will be equivalently proportionate to the amount of middle-class laborers that will be wiped out by the introduction robots. If this is true, then there will inevitably be an increase in the poor and welfare classes, and a decrease of middle-class workers because of the introduction of robots. Moreover, there will probably be a reduction in the number of companies because it will become easier for powerful companies to buy out other companies that are unable to compete with the raising costs of robotic investment, and so power will become increasingly concentrated into the hands of the few, making it almost impossible for the middle-class and welfare class to accumulate wealth.

I can also see a drastic increase in the number of the security and police personnel, whose sole duty will be to protect the assets of the elite class – (robots) One way to balance out this trend is if increasing numbers of the welfare classes that are unable to find jobs are given private land in the rural areas to work small farms to sustain themselves.

So perhaps there be a huge polarization as the rural zones become prominently more Feminine (return to less technology – domestic animals, no till farming, small organic plots, while the cities become increasingly militarized, robotized and automated. (Masculine) So essentially, the introduction of robotics could cause an anti-urbanization movement back into the rural zones by the individuals that cannot find work in the increasingly technological society.

You sound like a feminist in this post, but you are a man! LOL Maybe I am merely getting confused with the dynamics Hhere. I would like to figure out all about that philosophy stuff, but it's like kind of economical(with my words) to just relax and have a beer! Sorry, if the stiffs don't like it. Back to oldschool b-logging.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Ryan I hope you're not taking your speculations too seriously, it's a very difficult thing to get right. I find it interesting to ponder the possibility that robots and AI may one day become completely self-sufficient, able to repair and build and design themselves. Maybe even something like the Singularity. It's already routine for computers and robots to be designed, built and repaired at least partly by other computers and robots, but Strong AI doesn't seem to have made much progress yet.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

As of late, I’ve been considering what affect the introduction of robots as laborers will have on the economy, and there seems to be many negative consequences in economic terms.
New radical technology in history always brought negative consequences with the positive. This will be as big and radical as it gets. How radical? Imagine the culmination of all technology - electricity, light bulb, wheel etc. all at once. If you have time to check the links you will see how near that time draws.
Ryan Rudolph wrote:For instance: Companies will need to invest much more rigorously in the latest robotics technology to stay competitive in the economy, so they will need much more capital, which will build on existing capital. This makes it easier for large powerful companies that are already powerful to require new technologies in a timely manner, but increasingly difficult for new companies that are trying to break into an industry.

I believe Japanese giants like Sony will dominate that market. IBM will definitely be there too.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: Also, having robotic employees makes it more difficult to acquire new capital because robots will reduce the numbers of the middle-class, which are the customers. The only solution is if high skilled technicians will be in increasingly higher demand, as low skilled jobs go obsolete.
We are the labour. They are the custumers.

21st century
At the end of the twentieth century, wealth is concentrated among the G8 and Western industrialized nations, along with several Asian nations.

A study by the World Institute for Development Economics Research at United Nations University reports that the richest 1% of adults alone owned 40% of global assets in the year 2000, and that the richest 10% of adults accounted for 85% of the world total. The bottom half of the world adult population owned barely 1% of global wealth. Extensive statistics, many indicating the growing world disparity, are included in the available report, press releases, Excel tables and Powerpoint slides.[5] Moreover, another study found that the richest 2% own more than half of global household assets.[6] Despite this, the distribution has been changing quite rapidly in the direction of greater concentration of wealth.[7]
Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_of_wealth

The wealth of the three most well-to-do individuals now exceeds the combined GDP of the 48 least developed countries

http://www.cooperativeindividualism.org ... n1999.html

In the United States
The United States is one of the richest countries in the world (2nd behind Kuwait), and in 2000, the mean wealth was $144,000 per person.[6] In the United States at the end of 2001, 10% of the population owned 71% of the wealth, and the top 1% controlled 38%. On the other hand, the bottom 40% owned less than 1% of the nation's wealth.

The national debt has climbed to alarming levels since the Federal Reserve was created in 1913.
Source: U.S. Treasury, Bureau of the Public Debt
Pic. Graph

As a result, the Federal Reserve Note (US dollar) has lost 96% of its purchasing power since 1913.
Source: U.S. Dept, of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, CPI
Pic. Graph.
Ryan Rudolph wrote:However, I don’t believe that the increase demand in high skilled technicians will be equivalently proportionate to the amount of middle-class laborers that will be wiped out by the introduction robots.

That sounds like reasonable conclusion imo.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: If this is true, then there will inevitably be an increase in the poor and welfare classes, and a decrease of middle-class workers because of the introduction of robots.
Cost of labor in industrial "developed" countries will drop to equalize with 3d world countries. Job security will become anachronism and there will be a lot of resentment to this new order of things in the beginning.
Ryan Rudolph wrote:Moreover, there will probably be a reduction in the number of companies because it will become easier for powerful companies to buy out other companies that are unable to compete with the raising costs of robotic investment, and so power will become increasingly concentrated into the hands of the few, making it almost impossible for the middle-class and welfare class to accumulate wealth.

Most likely the gap between the top tier of the pyramid and bottom 90% will keep increasing at exponential rate for some time yet - as per current trend. Yet the living conditions of the bottom 90% will also slowly increase as "trickle down" technology and relaxed taxes will make life more comfortable.

Ryan Rudolph wrote:I can also see a drastic increase in the number of the security and police personnel, whose sole duty will be to protect the assets of the elite class – (robots) One way to balance out this trend is if increasing numbers of the welfare classes that are unable to find jobs are given private land in the rural areas to work small farms to sustain themselves.
I agree with your assessment. That is the reason for destruction of privacy = RFID tracking, cashless transactions etc. globalization/consolidation of power (NWO) and depopulation agendas we can observe today are being brought (slowly but surely) in to reality. With increased dissatisfaction of the have-nots which will be a greater mass of populace (over 50%) there will be a great need for security and all pretence of democracy will be completely erased. Eugenic programs will also become norm.
Ryan Rudolph wrote:So perhaps there will be a huge polarization as the rural zones will return to less technology – domestic animals, no till farming, small organic plots, while the cities become increasingly militarized, robotized and automated. (Masculine) So essentially, the introduction of robotics could cause an anti-urbanization movement back into the rural zones by the individuals that cannot find work in the increasingly technological society.
I was trying to write something optimistic, but I genuinely doubt humanity will reach critical mass of awareness in time to avoid being led down wrong path by these selfish parasites. We are like bees, each so busy with our own work that we can’t grasp the grand plan of what it is that we are contributing to. We are building our own prison from the inside, and once the last brick is in place - that is it. Prison planet inc.
It's just a ride.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Hsandman,
Cost of labor in industrial "developed" countries will drop to equalize with 3d world countries. Job security will become anachronism and there will be a lot of resentment to this new order of things in the beginning.
I disagree, I believe that the jobs that are left will be very technical, scientific and pay well, but the low skilled jobs will be totally replaced by technology. However, I bet there will be a lot of competition for those jobs, and many unskilled people in the new economy will lash out against the system for not being able to sustain their existence. I suspect that cities of the future will need to be much less populated than they are now, and the negative population growth in developed countries is a positive trend in my opinion.
Most likely the gap between the top tier of the pyramid and bottom 90% will keep increasing at exponential rate for some time yet - as per current trend. Yet the living conditions of the bottom 90% will also slowly increase as "trickle down" technology and relaxed taxes will make life more comfortable.
Yes, its not a total doomsday scenario, but it will be a difficult adjustment for many, and the ones that have a difficult time will be either signing up for eugenics enhancements for their children, not having children, or self-destructing in a blaze of hedonism and protest against the system.
That is the reason for destruction of privacy = RFID tracking, cashless transactions etc. globalization/consolidation of power (NWO) and depopulation agendas we can observe today are being brought (slowly but surely) in to reality. With increased dissatisfaction of the have-nots which will be a greater mass of populace (over 50%) there will be a great need for security and all pretence of democracy will be completely erased. Eugenic programs will also become norm.
I don’t actually regard any of this as ‘evil’ as such, as it is the only way a further masculinzation of the civilization can occur. The difference between the business elites and the herd is that the herd are too unintelligent and irrational to have the responsibility that the business elites have. Although, the business elites have a certain degree of callousness, ambition to expand, and calculative shrewdness, but these qualities are absolutely necessary for a business to grow and masculinize. If we gave the modes of production over to the herd or the government, we would have a much bigger mess on our hands I’m afraid.
I was trying to write something optimistic, but I genuinely doubt humanity will reach critical mass of awareness in time to avoid being led down wrong path by these selfish parasites. We are like bees, each so busy with our own work that we can’t grasp the grand plan of what it is that we are contributing to. We are building our own prison from the inside, and once the last brick is in place - that is it. Prison planet inc.
I tend not to demonize the business elites, they are in the same boat as the herd, only perhaps they are a bit more shrewd, calculative and ambitious. The upside of ambition is that is tends to create the conditions for a further masculization of society to occur, which means greater strides in science and technology, thus decreasing the plight of the common man, but replacing him in the process. Its ironic that the common man will only be liberated from the plight of civilization when his mediocrity is no longer needed, and its going to anger him, and frighten him at the same time.