Caffeine=Melange or "The Spice"??

Post questions or suggestions here.
ZenMuadDib

Caffeine=Melange or "The Spice"??

Post by ZenMuadDib »

I've been drinking a lot of caffeinated stuff like soda and coffee recently, but today I didn't have a chance to have any. The day started off ok until about 1:00. I started getting a headache at first and almost didn't go to class, which afterwards I wish I hadn't. Anyway, during my first class I couldn't concentrate, I was getting tired, periods of hot and cold, and nausea. I barely made it through the class without vomiting and passing out at the same time. After class I went to a study room to wait for my next lecture. I looked up caffeine withdrawal on my laptop and found that this was what was happening to me. I also found that 90% of American adults consume this "drug" and even if you drink one cup of coffee a day and miss out on that cup for a day you'll get minor symptoms like a headache. This is where the comparison to melange from Dune comes in. If anyone has read it you will know that the melange is basically the spice of life and everyone uses it and the Fremen on Arrakis are addicted to it because it is in the air. It is basically THE commodity that sustains the Galactic Empire or whatever it is called. What do you think?
Dan Rowden

Re: Caffeine=Melange or "The Spice"??

Post by Dan Rowden »

About what? You appear to have a caffeine addiction.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

Dan Rowden wrote:About what? You appear to have a caffeine addiction.
I guess, it took him by suprise... lol.
It's just a ride.
ZenMuadDib

Post by ZenMuadDib »

hsandman wrote:
Obviously, I'm talking about the idea in the story. Are you kidding me, or are you just retarded?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Most people are addicted to something that is sustaining for them. I'm not sure there's any one thing that you can point to where humanity is concerned, other than, say, egotistical empowerment. Maybe emotion is the most common sustaining drug. People certainly can't go long without it.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

ZenMuadDib wrote:
hsandman wrote:
Obviously, I'm talking about the idea in the story. Are you kidding me, or are you just retarded?
Which story? Guess I am just retarded. :-/

Edit: Ahh, your sci-fi story from the other thread...the different usernames confused me. Look up Michel Tsarin. He is historian and his story will blow your mind. :-D
It's just a ride.
Shardrol

Post by Shardrol »

No, melange wouldn't have meant anything like caffeine. Melange had some kind of psychedelic properties, if you remember. The Space Cadets or whatever they called them used it to enhance their navigational skills. The Fremen used it as some kind of group bonding experience. Wasn't there was a scene in one of the books, probably the first one, when Paul experienced the spice for the first time? The effects described were nothing like caffeine.

But caffeine as a symbol of the commodity that sustains the galactic empire seems believable, especially here in the extremely caffeinated city of New York.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I'll have a: Cappuccino, Cafe Americano, Cafe au lait, Cafe breve, Cafe con leche, Cafe con panna, Cafe corretto, Cafe creme, Cafe doppio, Cafe frappuccino , Cafe freddo, Cafe latte, Cafe Latteccino, Cafe lungo, Cafe macchiato, Cafe mocha, Cafe ristretto, Cafe romano!

No, make that an espresso! No, defac! No, lowcaf! No, nocaf! No, make that an Earl Grey instead.
ZenMuadDib

Post by ZenMuadDib »

Shardrol wrote:No, melange wouldn't have meant anything like caffeine. Melange had some kind of psychedelic properties, if you remember. The Space Cadets or whatever they called them used it to enhance their navigational skills. The Fremen used it as some kind of group bonding experience. Wasn't there was a scene in one of the books, probably the first one, when Paul experienced the spice for the first time? The effects described were nothing like caffeine.

But caffeine as a symbol of the commodity that sustains the galactic empire seems believable, especially here in the extremely caffeinated city of New York.
Yea dude I remember all of that. But, of course, that is a story. Anyway, don't people use it as a bonding experience at the coffee shop or I would say that I do use it to help me with homework and the like. So your comparison is lacking.