What is the most interesting concept?

Post questions or suggestions here.
sear

What is the most interesting concept?

Post by sear »

Some think Einstein's theories of Relativity are the most interesting in science, perhaps because they're deemed counterintuitive.
But are they the most interesting?
Is string theory more interesting; or simply untestable clap-trap?

The Big Bang, because it's fundamental?

Or might psychology be the most fascinating of all?
If so, what? Complementary schizmogenesis?

Economics? The Laffer Curve?

What concept interests you more than any other?
Why?
30 character limit on sigline?
Carl G

Re: What is the most interesting concept?

Post by Carl G »

For me it would be, in no particular order, the concepts of group subconscious and memes, alien control systems, multidimensionality (of reality, and of the individual life), the origin-less nature of the Universe, and the subject of personal evolution.

Why? It's how I'm wired, how I'm caused to be.
Good Citizen Carl
Shardrol

Post by Shardrol »

The idea that reality is really real.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

I am particulary interested in Colour at the moment. I feel that colour information has a hidden particle, or somehow uses the quark. It's not really a known concept, but I don't think I believe any known concepts at the moment.
ZenMuadDib

Post by ZenMuadDib »

Pincho Paxton wrote:I am particulary interested in Colour at the moment. I feel that colour information has a hidden particle, or somehow uses the quark. It's not really a known concept, but I don't think I believe any known concepts at the moment.
Have you heard of Goethe's Theory of Colours. I haven't read it, but apparently he wasn't really interested in creating a theory, he was more interested in simply observing the properties of colours.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

ZenMuadDib wrote:
Pincho Paxton wrote:I am particulary interested in Colour at the moment. I feel that colour information has a hidden particle, or somehow uses the quark. It's not really a known concept, but I don't think I believe any known concepts at the moment.
Have you heard of Goethe's Theory of Colours. I haven't read it, but apparently he wasn't really interested in creating a theory, he was more interested in simply observing the properties of colours.
I'm more interested in the particles involved in the message. I had electrons playing a big part, and then realised that heat, and electrification should alter the colours of objects, but it doesn't until you totally burn them. So I am thinking.. "What stores the colour information that is not effected by heat or electrification, but also allows the electrons to fluctuate through different energy levels?" And that is probably going to find a new particle, or prove the existence of the quarks.
ZenMuadDib

Post by ZenMuadDib »

Pincho Paxton wrote:
ZenMuadDib wrote:
I'm more interested in the particles involved in the message. I had electrons playing a big part, and then realised that heat, and electrification should alter the colours of objects, but it doesn't until you totally burn them. So I am thinking.. "What stores the colour information that is not effected by heat or electrification, but also allows the electrons to fluctuate through different energy levels?" And that is probably going to find a new particle, or prove the existence of the quarks.
Yea...Black body radiation, the amount of energy an object can take in....
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Okay, I'm veering from the topic which is what is the most interesting concept.

But since you're talking about color, I have a question which I've thought about for some time and have never found a decent - or really any - explanation, and it concerns colors.

"Color" is what we call what we see when light waves hit our visual sensory apparatus. Two different colors have two different frequencies. In fact, the only difference between red light hitting our eyes and blue light is their electromagnetic frequencies. We see them as different and so have different names for them.

Yet the visible light spectrum is a continuum. Meaning every frequency within a certain range is present. Why then do we "see" distinct bands in the spectrum emitted by a prism?
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

brokenhead wrote:Okay, I'm veering from the topic which is what is the most interesting concept.

But since you're talking about color, I have a question which I've thought about for some time and have never found a decent - or really any - explanation, and it concerns colors.

"Color" is what we call what we see when light waves hit our visual sensory apparatus. Two different colors have two different frequencies. In fact, the only difference between red light hitting our eyes and blue light is their electromagnetic frequencies. We see them as different and so have different names for them.

Yet the visible light spectrum is a continuum. Meaning every frequency within a certain range is present. Why then do we "see" distinct bands in the spectrum emitted by a prism?
You are just seeing white split up into lots of different outputs. You can drink a cup of tea, and it tastes like tea, but is sugar, tea, water, and milk combined. White is all colours combined, but that is basically a power output of all energy combined for colour. RGB(255,255,255) all levels at max.

But to look at a blue wall would mean that some energy is missing. Where does the energy go? Why cant you recharge the energy with electricity? Heat? What keeps it stable?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

"Interesting" seems too subjective a term. The most "important" or "valuable" speaks more to my horrendously masculine perspective. And in terms of science I would have to nominate Bacon's realisation of and argumentation for induction over deduction in empiricism.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

You are just seeing white split up into lots of different outputs
No you're not, and that's my question. You should be seeing something that varies continuously because the frquencies vary continuously. But you see a small number of adjacent bands instead.