More Austrailian sages

Post questions or suggestions here.
maestro

More Austrailian sages

Post by maestro »

I was reading this website recently
http://www.actualfreedom.com.au
Actual freedom is a tried and tested way of being happy and harmless in the world as it actually is ... stripped of the veneer of reality or Greater Reality that is super-imposed by the psychological or psychic entity within the body. This entity is that sense of identity that inhibits any freedom and sabotages every well-meant endeavor. Thus far one has had only two choices: being normal or being spiritual. Now there is a third alternative ... and it supersedes any mystical Altered State Of Consciousness.
This presentation sums up their views
http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/introdu ... iverse.htm

Here they claim that Buddhism and others got it all wrong.
http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/library ... egrees.htm

Interestingly they tie down their actual-freedom to modern discoveries in neuroscience (Victor would be pleased).
http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/introdu ... eedom1.htm

Interesting but the claims are a bit grandiose.
Last edited by maestro on Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shahrazad

Re: More Austrailian sages

Post by Shahrazad »

Interestingly they ties down their actual-freedom to modern discoveries in neuroscience
Awesome!

Oh, and what is it about Australia that encourages people to become sages? Perhaps life is slower paced there?

-
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

or mercury in the groundwater? :D
Forethought Venus Wednesday
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Richard, the author of that website, has been on this forum in the past. Unfortunately, he is a fuitcake.

From memory, his philosophy is similar to that of U.G Krishnamurti's, but far more ponderous in tone. He also believes that he is the only person in history to have reached perfection, so yes, there is a touch of grandiosity there as well.

-
Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

vicdan wrote:or mercury in the groundwater? :D
LOL.
Unicorns up in your butt!
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Didn't Australia make this year's "Top Ten Best Places to Live" list that just came out?
maestro

Post by maestro »

Richard, the author of that website, has been on this forum in the past. Unfortunately, he is a fruitcake.
Verily this forum is a fruitcake magnet.

But other from the grandiose claims, his articles seem to be remarkably coherent. Much better than some other fruitcakes here.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Has this fraud ever been through here?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Actually Richard was with us back in the days of Genius-l. He's not altogether uninteresting; he just takes his concepts to ridiculous extremes and his "understanding" of eastern philosophy is terrible. Actualfreedom is not an entirely worthless place, though.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

What about inviting him to do a podcast show, Dan?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:Has this fraud ever been through here?
Hahaha - Mega Genius® is Jim Diamond, "the man with the perfect IQ™." He even wants to trade mark "IQ". I don't think we've seen this particular Jimbo around here, but who knows.

"Requests for personal answers or advice directly from the mind of Mega Genius® are only $19.95 per submission."

His answers to questions are sometimes rather funny.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Shahrazad wrote:What about inviting him to do a podcast show, Dan?
That's an interesting thought. Dave and Kev might consider him too much of a whacko to consider it, but I'll look into it.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Dan Rowden wrote:He just takes his concepts to ridiculous extremes and his "understanding" of eastern philosophy is terrible.
I am not so sure that his understanding of the eastern philosophy is terrible. However it seems to me that he misrepresents eastern philosophy and takes credit for its ideas himself. For example his main theme of the extinction of the self is a very eastern idea. He basically contrasts the extinction of the self to the other silly view of enlightenment which is the cosmic consciousness one (also held here by Mikiel and average (till a few months ago at least)).

You guys on the other hand are for the extinct self yourselves, I would say that you get him on your talk show and kick his ass for misappropriating ideas.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Richard's products are a tad on the expensive side. Must be expensive to live in Byron.

http://www.actualfreedom.com.au/sundry/ ... paypal.htm
Imadrongo

Post by Imadrongo »

David Quinn wrote:He also believes that he is the only person in history to have reached perfection, so yes, there is a touch of grandiosity there as well.
Yea it sounds better if you say there are 3-5 others in the history of mankind who have reached your level of perfection as well.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Neil Melnyk wrote:
David Quinn wrote:He also believes that he is the only person in history to have reached perfection, so yes, there is a touch of grandiosity there as well.
Yea it sounds better if you say there are 3-5 others in the history of mankind who have reached your level of perfection as well.
I consider myself to be a long way from perfection. Moreover, there have probably been hundreds or even thousands of people throughout history who understand the things I understand and who know how to immerse themselves in Reality. I can name at least a dozen, but I'm sure there have been plenty more.

-