Donation button

Post questions or suggestions here.
Sapius

Re: Donation button

Post by Sapius »

Carl G wrote:Gaw! He sounds like a little kid hoping to score some candy and comic book money.
Yes it does, if I didn’t know them any better, and that’s the point.

David Quinn wrote:Ah yes, the great debate. I must say you're sounding pretty civil, given our history together.

Would you mind if we decided to use donated money to generate publicity for Otto Weininger's work?
-
It’s quite common to be mistaken and misjudge another by focusing on the finger, rather than the moon. Unless Larkin has changed his stance, which makes him “civil” I take it.

Nice joke BTW.
---------
vicdan

Post by vicdan »

David Quinn wrote:Would you mind if we decided to use donated money to generate publicity for Otto Weininger's work?
I can't speak for Robert, but I say -- go for it! use any money you can get your hands on to generate publicity for Weininger. just be sure to clearly attach your and his names to any such publications. :D

It would be a hoot. I call shotgun on your getaway bicycle!
Forethought Venus Wednesday
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

David Quinn wrote:Ah yes, the great debate. I must say you're sounding pretty civil, given our history together.

Would you mind if we decided to use donated money to generate publicity for Otto Weininger's work?

-

Why David, I was sure you would all disavow Weininger after the debate. I'm thoroughly shocked.
Sapius wrote:... It’s quite common to be mistaken and misjudge another by focusing on the finger, rather than the moon. Unless Larkin has changed his stance, which makes him “civil” I take it. ...

There have been no reasons to change what were my stances in the debate - Nagarjuna was a brilliant man and Weininger was a feeb. What have changed are my attitudes. I am not nearly so detestibly combative - I'm now only minimally detestibly combative - and often I don't argue at all. Lately I've been visiting Genius Forum to read the thrashings given out by vicdan and to read the enlightened sayings of my new spiritual master, Laird Totality. I certainly didn't show up to argue about the debate.

vicdan wrote:I can't speak for Robert, but I say -- go for it! use any money you can get your hands on to generate publicity for Weininger. just be sure to clearly attach your and his names to any such publications. :D ...

Indeedums, go for it. Weininger appeals only to the select few who can comprehend weighty concepts like 'absolute sexual complement' as did Ibsen, Goethe, Weininger, and Dangerfield. I knew there had been no rejection of Weininger but that is not the point. The point is I enjoy reading at Genius Forum. The support here for Weininger is just one of many charms of theabsolute.net.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Robert wrote:There have been no reasons to change what were my stances in the debate - Nagarjuna was a brilliant man and Weininger was a feeb. What have changed are my attitudes. I am not nearly so detestibly combative - I'm now only minimally detestibly combative - and often I don't argue at all.
Quite reasonable, but where I find little connection is – David - “given our history together” – (which most probably points to the “heated” debate), “I must say you're sounding pretty civil”. I can’t see what has personal ‘civility’ got to do with how or why one debates?

Unless David is pointing to some past private history between the two of you that I am not aware of.
Lately I've been visiting Genius Forum to read the thrashings given out by vicdan and to read the enlightened sayings of my new spiritual master, Laird Totality. I certainly didn't show up to argue about the debate.
May be GF brings out the best of them. :D
Welcome any ways, if I may say so.
---------
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Sapius,
Unless David is pointing to some past private history between the two of you that I am not aware of.
Allow me fill you in on this history. Robert has been obsessing over QRS for years. He used to hate David the most, but about a year ago he started hating Dan with passion, too. His nightmares probably involve QRS. He gets pleasure out of watching Victor insult David and Dan, and was unable to stay away from GF forever. He is probably here to do satire. Either that or just to troll.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Shahrazad wrote:Sapius,
Allow me fill you in on this history. Robert has been obsessing over QRS for years. He used to hate David the most, but about a year ago he started hating Dan with passion, too. His nightmares probably involve QRS. He gets pleasure out of watching Victor insult David and Dan, and was unable to stay away from GF forever. He is probably here to do satire. Either that or just to troll.
Ah! I see. But still… I feel engaging in whatever way one does, does not necessarily mean one hates the person.. Well, I wouldn’t really know… All I know is I can’t :D
---------
maestro

Post by maestro »

I think the donation button is a stroke of genius, with so many loons frequenting this place, it is only a matter of time before a madman/madwoman (who is rich) decides to make Kevin a millionaire.
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Sapius wrote: Unless David is pointing to some past private history between the two of you that I am not aware of. ...

Welcome any ways, if I may say so.

Thanks for the welcome, Sapius. David is referring - as far as I know - to the time of the debate itself. It was not a pleasant incident. However, I don't recall any conversations between David and myself since then and none of it was any 'private history'. I can be mad at people but like you I cannot hate anyone.
Shahrazad wrote:Sapius,
Shahrazad does not mention the private history between she and I which might motivate that dishonest characterization. Were I to have hated either David Quinn or Dan Rowden I would have pursued them intently. Until now David and I had no contact since the debate (2004) and Dan and I actually began chatting afterward. We had many pleasant conversations in which neither the debate nor our personal views on Zen and whatever were much discussed at all. I gave up an online satire of Dan Rowden, having no desire to be mean-spirited even if comedically - the article which replaced mine, another's work, is not mean-spirited. Dan and I recently traded shots on another board but it amounted to nothing.

Both 'obsess' and 'hate' are dishonest choices and you are free to ask her what was the horrible transgression which might have motivated their use - I assure you it's funny as hell. I came neither to write satire nor to troll. 'Troll' is dismissive; I am at a loss myself to remember an example of my trolling anyone's board, except maybe one time when I joined her old friend Decagon, and who remembers her well, as does her old friend Vinny the Hack, writing just a few posts on a board I never again visited. My first post here, after all this time, was a legitimate query. QRS are public figures, well-known by many people at the boards where I have written and where I write, and if they are sometimes made objects of humour that does go with being public figures. I have been reading vicdan for as long as I have been on ezboreds. To suggest I enjoy reading his insults misstates the situation; the insults are only a sauce for his extraordinary intellect. In my personal circle he has been admired for years and he has improved with age.
dreadnought

Post by dreadnought »

Dreadnought here! Dreadnought by name. Dread nought by nature!

I don't care why RobertGreenSky is here. May he post often so long as he deploys that awesome avatar!

Dreadnought out.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

RobertGreenSky wrote: I gave up an online satire of Dan Rowden, having no desire to be mean-spirited even if comedically - the article which replaced mine, another's work, is not mean-spirited.

Are you referring to this one: Dan Rowden - GED entry?

-
maestro

Post by maestro »

Ataraxia

Post by Ataraxia »

haha.Wiki based sledging.

'Tis surely taking geekdom to a whole new level.
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

dreadnought wrote:Dreadnought here! Dreadnought by name. Dread nought by nature!

I don't care why RobertGreenSky is here. May he post often so long as he deploys that awesome avatar!

Dreadnought out.
Thank you, Dreadnought. The avatar was too good to waste.

David Quinn wrote:
RobertGreenSky wrote: I gave up an online satire of Dan Rowden, having no desire to be mean-spirited even if comedically - the article which replaced mine, another's work, is not mean-spirited.

Are you referring to this one: Dan Rowden - GED entry?

-

Yes. I don't believe the author thinks that Dan Rowden is 'thick as a brick' or is generally 'bricklike'. The author of Otto Weininger would certainly not believe Weininger was a wrench, although he might go for 'tool'.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

What is the significance of the brick, then?

-
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

David Quinn wrote:What is the significance of the brick, then?

-

The brick, and a very fine nicely coloured substantial brick it is, represents the author's view that Dan Rowden is the foundation on which the greater edifice of QRS is sustained. That is the majority view. The minority view is too obscene to repeat.

I do not speak for the author and if you are intent on knowing what he meant then you should ask him.
Imadrongo

Post by Imadrongo »

maestro wrote:The page about you is more funny
http://theequineschool.org/ged/index.ph ... avid_Quinn
Haha that's good. Unfortunately nobody much would get the humor if they don't read this forum frequently.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Robert,

I am going to ask for a rain check for my rights to reply to your very affectionate post to me. Nature knows that I would love to return the favor and reply today, but 104 pages lie untranslated and waiting for me, and the profits I will reap from them is higher than the nervous tension I will without a doubt collect from involving myself in a cyber drama, my love for the latter notwithstanding.

Of course, the risk I expose myself to by asking for this is that by the time I have half an hour free with enough energy to reply properly, I may have lost interest in it, or this thread may have moved into more interesting pursuits.

And I just realized that in the time it took me to write this post, I could've replied to almost half of your points. Damn.

RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Sher,

I thought I had answered in kind; there would have been a friendly note if I had gotten one. It will wait as long as you like although I would certainly not object if it goes unanswered. I have enough to do writing interesting descriptions of bricks.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

I thought I had answered in kind; there would have been a friendly note if I had gotten one.
If you sensed a whining tone in my post, you certainly misinterpreted it.
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Shahrazad wrote:
I thought I had answered in kind; there would have been a friendly note if I had gotten one.
If you sensed a whining tone in my post, you certainly misinterpreted it.

Well that's good to know, Sher. I have no idea why I would have sensed a whining tone or why you felt compelled to note the possibility and then deny it. You could have a field day listing things I could possibly have misinterpreted. Be sure to include 'insightful' in the list.
Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

vicdan wrote:It would be a hoot. I call shotgun on your getaway bicycle!
Catch him if you can!
Unicorns up in your butt!
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Robert,
Shahrazad does not mention the private history between she and I which might motivate that dishonest characterization.
The opinion I expressed has nothing to do with any “history” I may have with you. It is based on the many threads in different forums I have read through the years where you criticize QRS’s latest actions, even the trivial ones. I may have wrongly confused your intense feelings for QRS as hatred, but there was nothing dishonest about it. It may be love, I don’t know, but it certainly seems like an obsession to me.

The funny thing is, QRS don’t seem to care.

If you clarify that what you feel for QRS is intense love, then this matter can be settled once and for all.
Dan and I actually began chatting afterward. We had many pleasant conversations in which neither the debate nor our personal views on Zen and whatever were much discussed at all.
Go back and read what I said. I never claimed you have always disliked Dan, just QRS as an entity. You chatted with Dan in the past, but around November of last year you started attacking him gratuitously. This is certainly not a lie.
My first post here, after all this time, was a legitimate query.
This doesn’t sound like a legit query or honest statement to me:
I'll be sending on something shortly and money being what money is, how my personal contribution is used after the electronic transfer and the currency exchange doesn't matter since that it is extra is what is important.
We all know that you would never send a penny to QRS. Excuse me for thinking your purpose here was to troll, but do remember that my first guess was satire.
To suggest I enjoy reading his insults misstates the situation;
I thought the insults were exactly what you enjoyed. Sorry if I was wrong. It’s really hard to tell with a guy who claims that friends and enemies should be treated with the same lack of courtesy.

-
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Okeydokes, Sher. You'll need to provide links to those many threads you've read over the years and when you do we'll have something to discuss other than 'unfounded accusations'. Be sure to include links to the Genius Forum threads to which I was supposedly reacting.

Please argue fairly.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

I have no desire to pursue this matter further. It's not like you would apologize even if I showed you tons of evidence. This is my last post to you.

However, if your ego requires for you to proclaim you won a petty argument with me, be my guest. My ego certainly doesn't have that need.

-
RobertGreenSky

Post by RobertGreenSky »

Be well, Sher.