Bare Bones of Reality.

Post questions or suggestions here.
RalphPL

Bare Bones of Reality.

Post by RalphPL »

What are the bare bones of reality? You know what I mean, so just stick with the question, please.
Dan Rowden

Re: Bare Bones of Reality.

Post by Dan Rowden »

Bare bones? Reality doesn't have bones, bare or otherwise. But try thinking about causality in the sense of things being dependent on each other for their very thingness. That is, would any thing be recognizable as what it is if it wasn't relative to what it isn't? Look at a thing and tell me where it begins and ends....
RalphPL

Post by RalphPL »

I've gotten to the point where I can sense the wisdom, but I cannot yet take it in for whatever the hell you are saying! Please, provide a few examples, next time.
That is, would any thing be recognizable as what it is if it wasn't relative to what it isn't?
I walk into my washroom and there's a comb staring at me. Just laying there, chilling, on the bathroom sink. While droplets of water rhythmically fall from above, splattering on its slick purple surface: plop... plop...plop...plop...PLOP! The sounds starts to really bug me, distracting me from the confusion of this strange object. After I tighten the hands, the faucet stops leaking, "as expected". I pick up this comb and give it a good shake and quickly put it onto my ear. Nothing. I sniff it. Nothing, except for the foul smell of a recently flushed turd...Ugh. Now, I've never seen this thing in my life, nor had I any previous experience of this (through reading, picture and so on). I know what it isn't. For instance, it's not a toothbrush, nor is it a hair-dryer. I know this, because I've had previous experience with those other things. So, this "comb" is recognized as something foreign... Extraterrestrial. This however, doesn't tell me anything about the "comb". So, what now? I know what it isn't, but I don't know what it is! I guess what I need to do now, is experiment with it (through, cause and effect)... After an hour, I still don't no what it's for. Though I found it useful, when it comes to relieving my itchy back.

Wonder-full.
Look at a thing and tell me where it begins and ends....
A crocodile, begins at the at the nose and ends at the tip of the tail. Another "thing" from my washroom.

Some help...?
Or...

It begins its life when it's born and it ends when my father shoots it and declares: "This will be perfect for our washroom!"

Some help
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ralph,

Are you by chance on medication?
Good Citizen Carl
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

If not he should be. Perhaps me telling him publicly will help.
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

I think you guys are being just a tad unfair expecting someone to figure out such an abstract truth on his own from just a summary of it.
RalphPL

Post by RalphPL »

Exactly, Mr. Gregory's got a hole in one, on that one!

The question should be, how does all this help me?
Bare bones? Reality doesn't have bones, bare or otherwise. But try thinking about causality in the sense of things being dependent on each other for their very thingness. That is, would any thing be recognizable as what it is if it wasn't relative to what it isn't? Look at a thing and tell me where it begins and ends....
In response, I wrote metaphorically...I mean, what the hell am I supposed to understand from Mr. Rowdens reply? Abstract ideas, for example: evil. It's made up. It's an invention of the mind, which tries to explain a series of common "things"...Negativity, something which I'm feeling quite intensely on this forum. Seriously, give me a bone, will ya!

Carl G wrote:
Ralph,

Are you by chance on medication?
Why don't you think about why you would write something like this. It's useless. You're only trying to appear witty...Bravo. Why do you not help me (at least try to, even if I do seem like a lost cause) understand this; instead of making your superiority known, at the expense of hurting my feelings. Thanks a lot. Or, do you simply like collecting posts: 607, not bad!
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

I'll take that as a "yes."
Good Citizen Carl
RalphPL

Post by RalphPL »

No, I'm not on medication. Now, tell me: Why are you acting like such an a-hole towards me?
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

They've just been on this forum for too long.

Ralph,

Your tale reminds me of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy." Ever read through it?

Causality...

-

Think of Dominos.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

some humor mostly serious :-)

mr. serdahl-
RalphPL - What are the bare bones of reality?

-tomas-
Okay, i wake up in the morning. Take a leak. Look in the mirror to make sure i'm really here. Drink a couple glasses of water. Brew some coffee. Power up the Internet machine. Guzzle a potent couple cups of coffee while scanning the news threads. Shower, trim the beard - after the hair and beard are thoroughly dried, that is. Check for any new gray (white) hairs, wrinkles etc. Try to stay upbeat. Get dressed (hug the girlfriend & then kiss the kid goodbye... and commute to my business.

-mr. serdahl-
You know what I mean, so just stick with the question, please.

-tomas-
After getting to work and greeting those who (acknowledge me) are in the way at that timespan of reality.

From there, till the end of the workday, it is not true reality, but gotta support living in America. Have a lifestyle to tend to.

End of work, say goodbye to all those who see (acknowledge) me and out the door and hop in car for the evening grind of traffic.

Stop at a place i volunteer, do the motions of serving soup, sitting down and breaking bread with the "less fortunate?" - cleaning, whatever needs to be completed for those truly in dire straits.

Most of the time, i'm a lot more positive about humankind, but a few times it is a bummer.

Arrive back "home" (whatever that concept is all about), hug the girlfriend of 40-years.
Kiss the daughter that she made it home from school safely.

Listen to the girlfriend relate her day (for 20 minutes about) then, hit the Internet for a half hour or so.

Walk to the backyard and b-s with the neighbors for a half hour or so. (we have a special, gathering spot)

Go back in, keep the girlfriend happy.

Take a shower, turn in, and count my lucky stars that tomorrow will be even better.

Tomas (the tank)
Prince of Jerusalem
16 Degree
Scottish Rite Free Mason

Last edited by Tomas on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Another asylum heard from.
Good Citizen Carl
RalphPL

Post by RalphPL »

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy."
No, I've never read it, nor have I seen the movie. Though, I heard it is a comedy:)
Causality...

-

Think of Dominos.
I know what Causality is...My mind automatically thinks about it, in every given situation. So, is this what philosophy is all about? C'mon, give me an in-depth course!

Lunar eclipse.
RalphPL

Post by RalphPL »

Carl G, why are you spamming my thread? Oh, crap! I do the same thing, sometimes. So, what? Does that mean, if I punch someone, do you have the right to punch me? No. Did I spam on your thread?

Carl G, it's time to ring that little bell. So, the nurses -- at the old folks home -- may change that diaper...

Tomas, Is it true you're are a real Vietnam Veteran? Thats really cool. I had a great, grandfather who died in WW1. Lucky you!

Although, I appreciate your post. I'm not exactly sure of what you're getting at...I'm a newbie.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-mr. serdahl-
RalphPL - Carl G, why are you spamming "my" thread? Oh, crap! I do the same thing, sometimes. So, what? Does that mean, if I punch someone, do you have the right to punch me? No. Did I spam on your thread?

-tomas-
I would hope you have a life outside of sitting in front of a screen typing your thoughts...

-mr. serdahl-
Carl G, it's time to ring that little bell. So, the nurses -- at the old folks home -- may change that diaper...

-tomas-
It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature :-(

-mr. serdahl-
Tomas, Is it true you're are a real Vietnam Veteran?

-tomas-
I'm not that good at English... but you are confusing "you're" (you are) _with_ "your are"...

Anywhoo... That was in a past, earlier part of my lifetime. To make it short, sweet, and simple. I was Drafted, did the basic and advanced training regimen at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri. Hopped the Boeing 707 to Saigon, attached to unit assigned, given weapon and assorted accoutrements.

Sent with unit to do some killing, ending up a few weeks later with being hit by a rocket-propelled grenade. Lost the left eye, two ribs on the left side, left lung, and left kidney.

Placed on morphine-drip... it was a real bitch getting off that stuff. No further comment necessary.

-mr. serdahl-
Thats really cool.

-tomas-
Oh yeah, far-out man!

-mr. serdahl-
I had a great, grandfather who died in WW1.

-tomas-
A (very close) childhood friend of mine, David, wanted me to sign up and go to VietNam and kill the teenage boys... so they wouldn't come over here and kill us.

I was the lucky one he asked to drive him to the bus depot (-his going away party was surreal in and of itself-) told him i didn't think we would ever see each other again, gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek and said our goodbyes... he had the saddest look i've ever seen on anyones' face - ever.

The day he landed in VietNam was the day he died.

-mr. serdahl-
Lucky you!

-tomas-
You're welcome.

-mr. serdahl-
Although, I appreciate your post. I'm not exactly sure of what you're getting at...

-tomas-
Look at your original post, that is what i'm replying to...

-mr. serdahl-
I'm a newbie-

-tomas-
Sooner, rather than later, the pacifier will have to go. No more bottle-fed nonsense. Start chewing on the solid food.

Tomas (the tank)
VietNam veteran - 1971

Last edited by Tomas on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RalphPL

Post by RalphPL »

Thank you very much for that revealing post!

I will start to pay attenrion to my writting!

Soon.
RalphPL

Post by RalphPL »

I would hope you have a life outside of sitting in front of a screen typing your thoughts...
Holy fuck! All I've been doing for the past few days was: sleep during the day, and surf the net at night! I went outside at like 2am for about an hour...I must have spent 3-4hrs on GF, maybe more. Fuck, I'm really fucked!!!...I been IN my head for most of that time...Now I'm have major problems focusing on a physical object...I keep...WTF...Is this hallucinating?...I keep my radio on, at night and I've been "experiencing" special broadcasts...Hey...It's plausible! LOL...I really must sound off my rocker, eh?

...LOL...hehe...heheHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahehe..ehhe..he.........This is fucked;ouiheoughq;ewr4 mvu[3204 ladifuckyoudaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalalalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!os rkotoaeta'mk psrtio-
h q45p[o rs t plh
prthaptrklh

lollololololololol...........what do you think of this huh THISSSSSSSSS!

What can I say...I'm an artist....say it.......ARRRtieeeeeeeeeeSssTt!......don't forget the "!"HAhaaaaaaaaa.

Anyways, the radio'issssssssssssss really pissing me offffffffffff...What the fuck huh?

I know what this is, I know what you're all about. Youtr3rm32 fake. Yes.

hmmmmmmmmm, ne;rb[-02

the radio, this basement...This computer...the forum...WENVP0;8UW4Hg0h

will you just stoppit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?

OKimjustgoing to take a break from everything and start a new life!!!hehehahaaa! AH ha! That's it! Presto!

Good bye for now. It'll be a while...

I'm on top of THE (hehe) GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yessssss.....sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

:S

:S

help me...won't you please? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaaaHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good.

BYE!!!:)
RalphPL

Post by RalphPL »

I'm 20. On top of everything else, I have to deal with this bullshit!

njodaojiusad8p0 ye4 6608947845ygnadfnbdi;a8w4aa-38ibm 3 death...sleeps close enough, for now... Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....I'm good to become an MD. It'll be easy.

I CAN DO IT!!!!!!! I just need to control my mind! yes.

bye.

I won't come on for a while. School starts in 2wks or so...gotta prepare!

kasbdvuh38
ChochemV2

Post by ChochemV2 »

If you understand tomas that's a sure sign you should be on medication.
Faust

Post by Faust »

psychiatric 'medication' is power-mongering bullshit.
Amor fati
Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Ralph,

A true tale, bought to you by Steve.

While back, I was sitting on the back step. Looking around, when I noticed two lunar eclipses shown in my mind's eye. Thought to myself, hmmm. Then this kid named Ralph shows up on GF. Well, I noticed your reference to a lunar eclipse last night following one of my posts. And low and behold, last night I awoke to a lunar eclipse. This was after I experienced a dream where some good things happened. After waking up a bit, some voices in the night were speaking to me about the Void. (The source of your radio). A man named Huang Po coined a phrase, "The Void is your own Mind." Maybe learning some more about it will help out.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

{our friend, Ralph (mr. serdahl), has flown over the cuckoo's nest}

-sequoia-
Steven Coyle - Ralph,

-tomas-
Alright! tales from the campfire...

-sequoia-
While back, I was sitting on the back step. Looking around, when I noticed two lunar eclipses shown in my mind's eye.

-tomas-
Ah... two of them. Are you-all on Venus?

-sequoia-
Thought to myself, hmmm.

-tomas-
Perhaps Neptune is a better polar axis.

-sequoia-
Then this kid named Ralph shows up on GF.

-tomas-
Yeah, those 20 (something) year-old kids are to be seriously reckoned with.

-sequoia-
Well, I noticed your reference to a lunar eclipse last night following one of my posts.

-tomas-
Yes, had read about this in my astronomy calendar i keep in the back pocket at all times. (even in the Rocky/Bullwinkle pajamas shirt pocket with pen light... much to the girlfriend's chagrin)

-sequoia-
And low and behold, last night I awoke to a lunar eclipse.

-tomas-
Hot damn, you sleep on your back step?

-sequoia-
This was after I experienced a dream where some good things happened.

-tomas-
Please email me some of the goodies ;-)

-sequoia-
After waking up a bit, some voices in the night were speaking to me about the Void.

-tomas
Holy Mary... Mother of God... oops, wrong holiday.

Bit early for Halloween, but the next day is All Saints Day, the "Holy" Roman Catholics don't miss a beat. They have all the days covered, guess the nights too :-|

-sequoia-
(The source of your radio).

-tomas-
The poor fellow best get his days adjusted for schooldays, the up all night sleep all day jazz has gotta go! If what he says is for real, he's going to be an M.D.

-sequoia-
A man named Huang Po coined a phrase, "The Void is your own Mind."

-tomas-
I call Heads. Ughh, dissimilar kind of coined phrase ;-(

Hmmm, I like! "The Void is your own Mind."

A mind is a terrible thing (void) to waste

-sequoia-
Maybe learning some more about it will help out.

-toas-
Will keep you up to date. But too bad Ralph has flown the coop. He has left cyberspace for the nether reaches of "the void". Otherwise known at "the journey to the center of your mind."

ps- I'm sure he'll come back on that 2nd lunar eclipse you were dreaming about when you awoke on your back porch step. He'll be flying in with Rocky, the flying squirrel and The Manifest Destiny clutched in his mind's eye.

Ta-ta.

Tomas (the tank)
Prince of Jerusalem
16 Degree
Scottish Rite Free Mason

Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Tomas wrote:.

{our friend, Ralph (mr. serdahl), has flown over the cuckoo's nest}

-sequoia-
Steven Coyle - Ralph,

-tomas-
Alright! tales from the campfire...

-sequoia-
While back, I was sitting on the back step. Looking around, when I noticed two lunar eclipses shown in my mind's eye.

-tomas-
Ah... two of them. Are you-all on Venus?

-sequoia-
Thought to myself, hmmm.

-tomas-
Perhaps Neptune is a better polar axis.

-sequoia-
Then this kid named Ralph shows up on GF.

-tomas-
Yeah, those 20 (something) year-old kids are to be seriously reckoned with.

-sequoia-
Well, I noticed your reference to a lunar eclipse last night following one of my posts.

-tomas-
Yes, had read about this in my astronomy calendar i keep in the back pocket at all times. (even in the Rocky/Bullwinkle pajamas shirt pocket with pen light... much to the girlfriend's chagrin)

-sequoia-
And low and behold, last night I awoke to a lunar eclipse.

-tomas-
Hot damn, you sleep on your back step?

-sequoia-
This was after I experienced a dream where some good things happened.

-tomas-
Please email me some of the goodies ;-)

-sequoia-
After waking up a bit, some voices in the night were speaking to me about the Void.

-tomas
Holy Mary... Mother of God... oops, wrong holiday.

Bit early for Halloween, but the next day is All Saints Day, the "Holy" Roman Catholics don't miss a beat. They have all the days covered, guess the nights too :-|

-sequoia-
(The source of your radio).

-tomas-
The poor fellow best get his days adjusted for schooldays, the up all night sleep all day jazz has gotta go! If what he says is for real, he's going to be an M.D.

-sequoia-
A man named Huang Po coined a phrase, "The Void is your own Mind."

-tomas-
I call Heads. Ughh, dissimilar kind of coined phrase ;-(

Hmmm, I like! "The Void is your own Mind."

A mind is a terrible thing (void) to waste

-sequoia-
Maybe learning some more about it will help out.

-tomas-
Will keep you up to date. But too bad Ralph has flown the coop. He has left cyberspace for the nether reaches of "the void". Otherwise known at "the journey to the center of your mind."

ps- I'm sure he'll come back on that 2nd lunar eclipse you were dreaming about when you awoke on your back porch step. He'll be flying in with Rocky, the flying squirrel and The Manifest Destiny clutched in his mind's eye.

Ta-ta.

Tomas (the tank)
Prince of Jerusalem
16 Degree
Scottish Rite Free Mason

Steven Coyle

Post by Steven Coyle »

Imagination, non-linear time, chaos, intuition.
ExpectantlyIronic

Post by ExpectantlyIronic »

What are the bare bones of reality?
Whatever we might want to give that label to. I'd say it's whatever I experience without interpretation. As, really, isn't "interpretation" just another label for a seemingly related group of experience anyways?

(I'd appreciate it if someone would tell me if I'm being utterly incoherent here.)

Edit: We could also say that reality consists in states of affairs, and that since there is nothing beyond them, they are the "bare bones" of it. Or maybe reality just consists of the letter r, the letter e, the letter a, the letter l, the letter i, the letter t, and the letter y (and the corresponding phonemes of course). It all depends on how you want to look at it.