My Motorcycle Blog

Post questions or suggestions here.
unwise

My Motorcycle Blog

Post by unwise »

Hello peoples. I decided to strip my blog down and focus it entirely on my new motorcycle racing adventure. I will be going to the track, discussing racing and riding, and, this should be fun - trying to relate 'riding' to all sorts of things in life that may seem or not seem related. It could be fun, and I hope you will 'subscribe' to go on my adventure with me.

I would like to ask that you refrain from comments like 'fuck you' or 'go to hell' on the comment section because other people who do not know us will be looking in. I'm going to keep this a positive experiment, so those who can't assist me in that direction shouldn't inject any bile into it. Thank you.

My Motorcycle Blog
Trevor Salyzyn

Re: My Motorcycle Blog

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Why motorcycling? I'm curious if you have any insights as to why a person would choose motorcycling as a hobby.
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:Why motorcycling? I'm curious if you have any insights as to why a person would choose motorcycling as a hobby.
the t-shirt level explanation

What kind of explanation are you looking for? Why do people get into restoring old cars, flying RC planes, skydiving, running, woodworking, collecting things? Are you asking why you would choose motorcycling over those other possible activities? Do you not get why riding bikes in particular would be fun - or are you asking why have hobbies and interests at all?

People get into motorcycling for a variety of reasons, and I expect you would get different answers from someone who is into racing, someone who cruises around on a loud Harley on weekends, a vintage bike collector, a dirt bike rider, or someone who rides long distance (e.g. Iron Butt riders).
unwise

Post by unwise »

Great reply, DH. That about covers it.

As for 'why racing?' That is sort of what my blog is about. I want to simply describe what I am doing, because that is interesting, but I also am sort of asking myself 'why racing?' I enjoy watching it because I find it graceful and beautiful to see. And, I know I enjoy the physical coordination aspects of balancing many different skills in one activity. There is also the combination attraction/repulsion going on when it comes to speed and fear. Sort of like a diver who keeps going a bit higher each time. There is always a great deal of apprehension approaching the track and I wonder if such activities (facing fear) spills over in other areas of life.

Thanks for the t-shirt link. That's a good one. I have an Aerostitch jacket. Do you ride?
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

unwise wrote:That's a good one. I have an Aerostitch jacket. Do you ride?
Yes, I've been riding for about ten years now. I have an Aerostich suit, but I only break it out for long (all-day) rides.

As for 'why racing?' That is sort of what my blog is about.
It's something I've thought about trying - getting a sport bike, and doing some track days. Looks like fun.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Thanks for the replies. I was just passingly curious. :)
unwise

Post by unwise »

Well DH, I am like you. I love to watch racing, so I started to think about track days. And then I have noticed WAY more cops EVERYWHERE now that we are into the New World Odor and all of that. I was traveling way too fast all over the countryside - so I thought I would try a track day.

In one day at the track I was cured of all my fast riding on the street! I now had a place to do it without worrying about cops and dogs and idiots and pot holes. And, track riding is different. You actually do use all of your body and HAVE to 'hang off' to make the turns. On the street people (squids) PRETEND to 'hang off' and act like racers. This is all baloney. So, the track is the real deal. You can get all of your need for speed taken care of once per month. Believe me.

Subscribe to my blog and you can read what my experience is there.
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

In one day at the track I was cured of all my fast riding on the street!
Same thing happened to me. I went to Skip Barber Racing School and that totally cured me of the desire to drive fast in my car. If you can't hit at least 120mph, there's just no thrill in trying to drive fast in my opinion.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

DHodges wrote:
Trevor Salyzyn wrote:Why motorcycling? I'm curious if you have any insights as to why a person would choose motorcycling as a hobby.
the t-shirt level explanation

What kind of explanation are you looking for? Why do people get into restoring old cars, flying RC planes, skydiving, running, woodworking, collecting things? Are you asking why you would choose motorcycling over those other possible activities? Do you not get why riding bikes in particular would be fun - or are you asking why have hobbies and interests at all?

People get into motorcycling for a variety of reasons, and I expect you would get different answers from someone who is into racing, someone who cruises around on a loud Harley on weekends, a vintage bike collector, a dirt bike rider, or someone who rides long distance (e.g. Iron Butt riders).

Gets you outta the house and away from TV, internet.

Grew up in North Dakota where it's 9 months of winter, 10 weeks of summer, 1 week of spring and 1 week of fall.

Here, in northern California, it's 10 months of summer-like weather and 1 week of winter-like weather, and you know the deal with the rest of the story.

Get off your ass and hit the outer limits of reality.

ps- I like my gardening, manual bicycling, (gave up the dirt bike) pool, darts, bowling, outdoor barbeques, slow-pitch softball (a geezer activity), hanging with the grandkids at the park, zoo, wind-surfing, flying our Piper Cub, still do some mountain climbing... Mt. St. Helen's is for next spring when the weather permits. Yadda, yadda.

Yup, don't miss the 9 long, months of winter in North Dakota and other northern climes.

pps- Good thread unwise ;-)

ppps- Good reply, DHodges

pppps- Get outta Canada, Trevor... heheheh

Tomas (the tank)
Prince of Jerusalem
16 Degree
Scottish Rite Free Mason

keenobserver

Post by keenobserver »

I was watching the bikes go round and round one day (tv) taking those corners on their elboys almost and i thought - how much better if they passed some rule saying - screw the leaning just stay put in your damn seat and buzz around the corner as fast as you can without sliding off the track!
Just the imagination of that spectacle (not having them all leaning over and over and over and over) felt so much more appealling to me; and I'll even go so far as to say 2 months after this new rule many of those racers would be secretly thinking - damn how nice this racing is now - while the hardline old timers went off and started their own league, retaining the old lean-or-loose rules.

For all I know there already exists the same type of racing save for the tedious leaning, just wish they'd direct some of that to my television once in a while.

All goes back to American max competition at all cost, even the players happiness and safety, and some viewers too. Same fucking reason the whole nation is headed down the tubes. Its made crooks of us all.
unwise

Post by unwise »

Tomas, you sound like a fun guy full of life. We would get along fine. Check out my blog soon because I just got back from the track. As for 'leaning' or 'hanging off'......you just can't turn these bikes at these speeds without 'hanging off' or putting your knee on the track. You mention 'American competition' are something, but really this is just a race against yourself. The higher speed and the lower times are just personal goals that mean you are becoming 'one' with the bike. Smoother. More in control. It is like pool, golf or anything else .....you want to see what you can do.
unwise

Post by unwise »

Has anyone here read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?' Any thoughts?
Anti-christ

Post by Anti-christ »

unwise, I get your name. Fockin, .a.

p. s..." so, this is growing up?!"
DHodges

Re: Motorcycle Maintenance

Post by DHodges »

unwise wrote:Has anyone here read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?' Any thoughts?
I read it, but a long time ago. Very little information about motorcycle maintenance; it's only mentioned a few times throughout the book. Also, when he wrote it (more than thirty years ago), motorcycles required quite a lot more maintenance than they do today.

It's more of an autobiography than a novel. The book is mostly his philosophical ramblings, which are generally pretty interesting, and it's a worthwhile read. However, in the end, I feel Persig's central thesis (about "quality") is completely wrong. (He wants "quality" to have some sort of objective existence.) It seems like he never really got past ancient Greek philosophy. Also, he goes insane for a while.

Persig's website

There's another book called The Tao of the Ride which I would advise you to stay away from. It's like a cheap ripoff of Persig's book, written by someone with a very shallow knowledge of Buddhism and Taoism. Total crap - New Age on a bike. Recommended for Harley riders only.