great YouTube video

Post questions or suggestions here.
ExpectantlyIronic

great YouTube video

Post by ExpectantlyIronic »

WORDS

I've never seen the philosophy of Wittgenstein put so succinctly. Great stuff.
truth_justice

Re: great YouTube video

Post by truth_justice »

Warning, you might find the video content disturbing.
Truth, Justice, Freedom.
ChaoticMelody

Post by ChaoticMelody »

I'll watch it tommorow.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

ExpectantlyIronic wrote:[I've never seen the philosophy of Wittgenstein put so succinctly. Great stuff.
It's important to remember that Wittgenstein didn't have just one philosophy. That video presents a certain set of ideas that Wittgenstein explored at one point in his life, but his thinking was much more complicated than that.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

holy freaking crazy-go-nuts insanely wonderful editing and effects batman that was freaking awesome sauce!!
WORDS. <- Watch that to the end!
It's just a ride.
Imadrongo

Post by Imadrongo »

I don't get it. :-S (the one hsandman posted)
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

Neil Melnyk wrote:I don't get it. :-S (the one hsandman posted)
What do you think about the razor and the eye bit?
It's just a ride.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

hsandman wrote:
Your link leads to a Japanese/American gilrl.

I don't get any of the links anyway. People are often saying on here that words have no meaning, but I don't know where they are getting themselves confused.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Pincho Paxton wrote:Your link leads to a Japanese/American gilrl.
She's Australian actually.
Boyan

Post by Boyan »

And I've never seen the philosophy of Derrida put so succinctly. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtwFchwL8ME
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

Boyan wrote:And I've never seen the philosophy of Derrida put so succinctly. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtwFchwL8ME

Ouch! though... =}

Edit: He (Derrida) is not that bad. (link) I understand what he is talking about. :-S

I personally when in the "moment" can rumble on and on, making up new words , word plays and jumping "thought trains" <- (there is one ;) ) while writing it down, because my typing can't keep up with my thought processes. I am a 'fuzzy logic' thinker and a lazy one to boot.

A smart guy saying that Derrida makes no sense without at least quoting some of it and analyzing it, makes it just entertaining opinion to me not a advice.
Last edited by hsandman on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a ride.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

Pincho Paxton wrote:
hsandman wrote:
Your link leads to a Japanese/American gilrl.

I don't get any of the links anyway..
She must be what they call a intellectual philosopher on myspace.com... talking about the harsh world of being a Asian female living in a world of racist shop assistants.. poor girl. Gimme a razor I can't stand the empathic pain any longer!
People are often saying on here that words have no meaning, but I don't know where they are getting themselves confused
Words can confuse people... that is why they have no meaning besides by what we mean by them unless we mean by them something else.. then they confuse people.
:-S

I endorse the above statement -MW =)
Last edited by hsandman on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
It's just a ride.
hsandman

Post by hsandman »

ExpectantlyIronic wrote:WORDS

I've never seen the philosophy of Wittgenstein put so succinctly. Great stuff.
Ps. Just watched it again... yep I like it, Nice use of subliminal shock technique, but it's for a good cause. "Great stuff."
A) Google the term, "Electrocuting an Elephant." It's a short film by Thomas Edison, staged to propagate the dangers of AC, thus making a case for DC. The scene is a reference to the juxtaposition of advancing technology and changing ethics.

B) (Reply)
That's Topsy the Elephant. She killed three men, so it was decided that she had to be killed
---------------------
Topsy the elephant.

But Topsy had a temper. She killed three men in three years, the last a drunk trainer who had fed her a lit cigarette.

Thompson & Dundy, who owned Luna Park, decided to turn Topsy into a moral issue -- and to make a profit at the same time.

All right, said Thompson and Dundy. Coney Island has a powerful electrical plant -- we'll FRY Topsy! But to pull it off, they needed top-shelf technical support. And that's where Thomas Edison came in.

Edison had declared that his direct current system was safe, but that Westinghouse's alternating current was a deadly menace. To prove it, Edison had been publicly electrocuting dogs and cats for years. And it was Edison who had convinced New York to use Westinghouse's "deadly" AC for their electric chair.
<Uhh, I just thought of a great idea on how to market new weapon brands...O_o><o_O>

Edison sent over a crack team of technicians -- and a film crew. Topsy was led to a special platform, the cameras were set rolling, the switch was thrown. It took only ten seconds..................................................................................................................... Edison later showed the film to audiences across the country to prove his point.
In the end, it made no difference. AC beat out DC, but both Edison and Westinghouse prospered. In fact, Westinghouse was awarded the Edison Medal for "meritorious achievements in the development of the alternating current system."

Inventor of AC .. Nicola Tesla ( wiki link)

"Tesla died impoverished at the age of 86."

"Tesla resigned when he was refused a raise to $25 per week.[30] Although Tesla accepted an Edison Medal later in life and professed a high opinion of Edison as an inventor and engineer, he remained bitter.

Thomas Edison inventor of DC.( wiki link)

The day after Edison died, the New York Times contained extensive coverage of Edison's life, with the only negative opinion coming from Tesla who was quoted as saying, "He had no hobby, cared for no sort of amusement of any kind and lived in utter disregard of the most elementary rules of hygiene" and that, "His method was inefficient in the extreme, for an immense ground had to be covered to get anything at all unless blind chance intervened and, at first, I was almost a sorry witness of his doings, knowing that just a little theory and calculation would have saved him 90 percent of the labor. But he had a veritable contempt for book learning and mathematical knowledge, trusting himself entirely to his inventor's instinct and practical American sense." When Edison was a very old man and close to death, he said, in looking back, that the biggest mistake he had made was that he never respected Tesla or his work.[31]"

"-tomas-
Better late, than never."
lol?

The key to Edison's fortunes (Edison Trust ) was telegraphy etc. etc. Oligopoly

That wasn't much consolation to Topsy, who was dead, nor to Luna Park, which was eventually destroyed in a horrible fire. Today, nothing remains of either except for Edison's film. If you ask the folks at the Coney Island Museum, they'll show it to you.
Recap it. Remember
FINALLY ITS 12 00am IN AUSTRALIA HAPPY NOVEMBER 5TH!
Happy 5th of november to us all. :-)
It's just a ride.