Nutrition Question

Post questions or suggestions here.
Ryan Rudolph

Nutrition Question

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Does anyone know the scientific explanation as to why many people crave sweet foods after a meal?

Moreover, I’ve been thinking that the phenomenon of ‘desert’ on a global scale seems like a response to a biological need, but what is that need?
Elizabeth Isabelle

Re: Nutrition Question

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Craving sweets after a meal is probably more a matter of being raised to expect dessert. Those not raised to have dessert do not get habituated into it.

As for general sweet cravings, the culprit is usually candida and yeast overgrowths in the body. These happen as a result of too sugary of a diet, and processed foods often have a lot of sugar in them as a marketing strategy. The sugar not only makes to food taste better, but sugar increases cravings, so people buy more of the food. It's horribly unethical, especially considering the detrimental - actually deadly - side effect of obesity. This is one of the things that capitalism poorly moderated by ethics produces.

There are anti- candida supplements in health food stores to help eliminate the overgrowth, but I do not recommend them. As they kill off the overgrowth, the dying yeast sends overwhelming craving signals for more sweets. The best bet is a low glycemic index diet.

Excess weight also messes up the body by sending signals for more food than is needed (a body prefers homeostasis, even if a static weight is above optimal weight), and the excess adipose tissue releases chemicals that contribute to depression. Depression leads to overeating, and the cycle continues.

Lastly, there is a general depletion of nutritional value in our foods. Not only does the sugar take the place of healthier nutrients, but even whole foods are not as full of vitamins and minerals as the foods our ancestors ate. Some of it is because fresh foods are picked before they are ripe to allow for freshness despite transport, but robs the food of the final ripening on the vine stage that infused nutrients. The soil the food grows in (or the food for our food grows in) is less nutrient rich, and more full of chemicals. The result is that those who do not take sufficient supplementation crave foods that the nutrients should be in, but the nutrients are not there, so the cravings continue despite caloric overload.

It is important to get enough vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids to digest the nutrients. Naturally sweet foods contain the most vitamin C, and with all the pollutants, our bodies need more vitamin C and E to combat the pollution (the E works with the C - if you just take C alone, it can cause a further imbalance in the body) - so if you are craving sweets, you may be deficient in vitamin C.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Elizabeth, yes the information you provide is definitely useful, and beneficiary in its nature. However, I don’t want to demonize sugar as a whole, but one should realize the negative affects of consuming refined white sugar.

Moreover, I’ve been trying to understand the global phenomenon of ‘desert’ in an evolutionary context, and to do so, I’ve read a little information pertaining to hunter/gatherer diets, and this is what I’ve discovered –
In this review we have analyzed the 13 known quantitative dietary studies of Hunter/Gatherers, and they all demonstrate that animal food actually provided the dominant (65%) energy source, while gathered plant foods comprised the remainder (35%).
Do these percentages sound familiar? To me, they somewhat resemble the typical dietary percentages of western civilization.

Moreover, I’ve been wondering if early humans would have collected berries, fruits and other sugary plant foods to eat after their dominant protein meal, you see what I’m driving at?

However, I’m wondering why hunters/gatherers would have been motivated to consume protein/sugar in that order?

Is there a physiological/biological cause as to why eating in that order in beneficial to the organism?
Or was it originally motivated by social interactions, and the genetic conditioning developed over time as a result?

Also, I've also considered if early men/women interactions come into play as well here. For instance: Groups of men probably killed animals on their own, while groups of women picked berries, fruits etc, and it also seems natural that the masculine force would come first, while the feminine force comes second. This is true because the men would have returned from the hunt with alot of pride, and thereby desiring their meat to be cooked up right away, and eaten first, while the women's collected sugar would have to wait until after the consumption of the meat.
Last edited by Ryan Rudolph on Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Ryan R wrote:Does anyone know the scientific explanation as to why many people crave sweet foods after a meal?
Isn't this more about 'cleansing the pallet' than the sweetness itself? There's this whole tradition of after dinner mints which might have sugars in them but I don't think that's the element that makes people want mints. Also, an energy boost after dinner could also make sense since our digestion is fired up and suddenly takes lots of resources, making us often feel sleepy or drowsy. Same kick start purpose would be served by strong black coffee.

In addition to what Elizabeth writes I'd say that sugar also has a large emotional pleasure element to it, which might explain why our society is so obsessed with all its variations. There's a belief, with some truth in it, that it provides a largely subconscious feeling of relief, consolation and possibly energy highs in environments that are increasingly dull and minds that are increasingly anxious (paradoxically). It certainly provides a strong sensation to our taste buds which could cause different psychological reactions to different people I suppose.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Diebert wrote:
Also, an energy boost after dinner could also make sense since our digestion is fired up and suddenly takes lots of resources, making us often feel sleepy or drowsy.
Yes, this is definitely a factor to consider as well, especially considering that most people only crave desert after supper, probably because this meal is the largest, and contains a significant amount of protein, which requires a lot of energy to be able to break it down in the digestive trait. So Sugar just might be the ideal helper in the digestion of large amounts of protein.
Katy

Post by Katy »

If you look at chimps, our nearest relatives, they might offer some clue. Without tools, meat is very scarce, and not a frequent occasion. Thus, when there IS meat, everyone tries to get a piece of it before everyone else does. Since plants and sweet fruits and such are all around you all the time, and make up a huge portion of your diet (In an article I read in intro to anthro it was quoted at 80% by calories foraged material prior to the invention of firearms) and are relatively easy to find, it may have been programmed into us to go get the meat first rather than go get the sweets second.

(here is a site that gives 80% of energy from foraging for Native Americans)
-Katy
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:In addition to what Elizabeth writes I'd say that sugar also has a large emotional pleasure element to it, which might explain why our society is so obsessed with all its variations.
Yes, high glycemic index foods do produce a rush in some people - much like how alcohol interacts differently with an alcoholic than it does with other drinkers. There are many parallels between refined sugar intake and alcohol intake - it is just that the effects are not as rapidly dramatic in sugar (although one could not get to 800 pounds from alcoholism - the effects are different, but similar in variants of magnitude). Like alcoholism can develop in one not genetically predisposed to alcoholism by chronic overconsumption of alcohol, chronic overconsumption of refined sugar alters the metabolism in different ways, depending on one's genetics. Some become type II diabetics, others just get morbidly obese with bodily changes making it quite difficult to lose weight - including the biochemical responses.

There is a link between cravings and a rush - which is obvious if one listens to an addict with a craving for whatever kind of drug. Refined sugar, like any other drug, provides a short term rush for people susceptible to that as their drug of choice, followed by a "sugar crash" - which is self explanatory to anyone who has ever been through one, and a milder version of other kinds of drug crashes.

Nature has provided us with many good things, but you are right Ryan, in that it is the refinement of these things that they can get out of control. Even chewing on the cocoa leaf is good for you, but the refined cocaine that comes from the cocoa leaf is very bad for you. They have even discovered that dark chocolate provides anti-aging nutrients - and chocolate comes from the same cocoa leaf as cocaine.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I was never raised to eat desert after dinner on a regular basis nor did I want to, yet I always crave something sweet after a meal of meet and potatos. I wouldn't say I crave a desert though, being that I'm already full, something like cake or pie is usually too heavy for me. Fruit or fruit snacks usually do the trick. I always thought it had something to do with leaving a pleasant after taste in my mouth to cover up the funky taste that develops in it a little while after eating meet and potatos. It's probably just natures way of getting us to consume other nutrients not provided by meet and potatos.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

If it's a nutrition question, then the craving is probably for faster glycogen-replacement via simple sugars.

If it's a psychological question, it's probably because the human doesn't have any deep faith in its value system.

-
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Kelly wrote:
If it's a psychological question, it's probably because the human doesn't have any deep faith in its value system.
I don’t think one should resist these cravings for simple sugars after meals, as they could serve an essential biological need. For instance: To eat a banana, or a piece of melon after a protein rich meal may help in the digestion process, so any attempt to behave counter intuitive to the bodies natural cycles could actually worsen the situation.

However, I agree with you that a value system is needed to negate harmful foods with refined sugars.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ryan wrote:I don’t think one should resist these cravings for simple sugars after meals, as they could serve an essential biological need. For instance: To eat a banana, or a piece of melon after a protein rich meal may help in the digestion process, so any attempt to behave counter intuitive to the bodies natural cycles could actually worsen the situation.
A banana or melon would be the worst thing to eat after a protein rich meal. This is because protein (such as meat) requires the longest time to digest of any food, and the soft fruits require the least time. Therefore the fruits push the protein through before it has properly broken down. This causes putrification in the intestines.
Does anyone know the scientific explanation as to why many people crave sweet foods after a meal?

Moreover, I’ve been thinking that the phenomenon of ‘desert’ on a global scale seems like a response to a biological need, but what is that need?
It is a biological need for balance. Since most people eat too much salt during their meal, there is a craving for the 'anti-dote', namely sweet. Basically too much eating on the yang side, exemplified by salt and meat, creates the need for balance by yin (the cold, the watery and the sweet). Those who normally eat closer to the center avoid such cravings for the extremes.
Good Citizen Carl
Shardrol

Post by Shardrol »

I crave desert after walking in the rain all day.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Carl,
Therefore the fruits push the protein through before it has properly broken down. This causes putrification in the intestines.
Is the statement regarding fruits pushing out less digested protein into the digestive trait prematurely actually scientifically proven, or have you just thought this up in the moment? What is purification in the intestines exactly?
It is a biological need for balance. Since most people eat too much salt during their meal, there is a craving for the 'anti-dote', namely sweet. Basically too much eating on the yang side, exemplified by salt and meat, creates the need for balance by yin (the cold, the watery and the sweet). Those who normally eat closer to the center avoid such cravings for the extremes.
I agree that if one eats too much salt, then there is a craving for water, but it doesn’t follow that eating too much meat causes a craving for sweets merely on the taste variable alone, I don’t think you can reduce the complexity of these cravings completely down to taste.

For instance: you can transfer your yin/yang argument to the reality of alkaline and acidic foods, but one cannot determine which category they are in merely by relying on taste alone. For instance: Oranges are actually alkaline, but one would suspect they are acidic based on a reliance on taste. It doesn’t seem as simple as what you have outlined above.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ryan R wrote:C: Therefore the fruits push the protein through before it has properly broken down. This causes putrification in the intestines.

R: Is the statement regarding fruits pushing out less digested protein into the digestive trait prematurely actually scientifically proven, or have you just thought this up in the moment?
I just wrote it on a whim, for a lark. It popped into my head and sounded good, because my brain is a piece of dandelion fluff, floating on the breeze.

It is promoted by a couple called the Diamonds, who wrote a book called, I believe, The Fit For Life Diet. But, don't take their word, or mine. Test it for yourself.
What is purification in the intestines exactly?
Not purification. Putrification. The food putrifies, or rots, a toxic situation, to say the least, and one that actually also deprives the body of the nutrients you are trying to give it.
Good Citizen Carl
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Ryan R wrote: K: If it's a psychological question, it's probably because the human doesn't have any deep faith in its value system.

R: However, I agree with you that a value system is needed to negate harmful foods with refined sugars.
People try to avoid awareness of feelings of lostness by bingeing on what seems "sweet". Doesn't have to be food.

That's all I meant.

-