American National Anti-Gun Association

Post questions or suggestions here.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Kelly Jones wrote:If one practises reason most, then one can let people do whatever they like with one's body, so long as it doesn't do them any harm.
How are defining "harm" here? I have minimal permanent, what would usually be considered bodily injuries, but I have chronic complex PTSD, which is a psychological injury that physically changes the brain in an injurious fashion - and it can be disabling. Common causes for PTSD include such things as rape.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

sschaula wrote:S: I also believe that none of us are perfect in it, or capable of perfecting that wisdom. Therefore, we shouldn't be called "wise" or "enlightened".

K: [Why not say...] "I am not sure whether it will occur or has occurred, so let's just see what happens...."

S: That is what I say. And I add - "It's highly unlikely to ever happen...so unlikely, that I believe it never has or will."
Why do you believe that the elimination of delusions is so difficult?

Why are you so attached to the idea that people can become perfect?

In winter Diogenes walked barefoot in the snow. In summer he rolled in the hot sand. He did this to harden himself against discomfort.

"But aren't you overdoing it a little?" a disciple asked.

"Of course," replied Diogenes, "I am like a teacher of choruses who has to sing louder than the rest in order they may get the right note."

-
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Scott Schauland wrote:K: In general terms, no national culture is characterised by either, because 99.9999999999% of people aren't conscious enough for either.

Scott: Why are these David Quinn antics so popular? In my opinion, this type of talk stops all thinking.
Would you prefer:

"All people have the seed of Buddhahood, but 99.9999999999% shrivel up and die, from a lack of consciousness" ?

-
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Hi ChochemV2,

Would you please quote who you're responding to? It makes the discussion easier to follow.

Thanks.

ChochemV2 wrote:K: Restricting popular access to weapons can diminish the enjoyment of spiritual ignorance, in the same way that a bully or a bullshitter, who is challenged, doesn't enjoy being a bully quite so much. It's not so easy anymore.

C: That's assuming willful ignorance is somehow supported by gun ownership, I just don't see the connection.
Owning and using guns has no meaning in itself. It is only when it's regarded as a God-given right, or even just a "right", that it becomes a problem. That belief is delusional, seeing that rights are determined by values.

When a car has "right of way" in a traffic intersection, it's because humans value that collisions should be prevented. It's just a made-up rule.

Not recognising is spiritual ignorance.

K: If one practises reason most, then one can let people do whatever they like with one's body, so long as it doesn't do them any harm.

C: That's what we are talking about here, harm. How do you reason with someone who has no capability for reason?
A total idiot is looked after by others, so they don't do any harm to themselves. When such a person becomes violent, and escapes from carers, then it needs to be retrieved by trained experts, who will not use excessive force.

We need to include as a "total idiot" someone who is on a drug high, like cocaine or crack.

Most people have some degree of love of truth. The trick is to find out quickly what it is, before they seriously harm themselves.

I consider rape to be harm, I consider murder to be harm, I consider unlawful intrusion to be harm. In all of these instances the criminal is imposing his will on someone else and reason doesn't influence his actions so how would reason stop him?
The weakness of a crazed, angry person is his love of the power of dark and ugly thoughts. If these thoughts and what they drive him to do, doesn't bring him absolute power, then he will discard it for something that does. For instance, if he sees that someone is not disturbed by his power tripping. Then he will see his own power as insufficient.

But dealing with a total idiot, like a crack addict, is better left to a trained expert, such as a police officer.

It is reasonable to stop crack idiots in the first place. More below.

C: and guns are used every day (maybe hundreds or thousands of times a day) in self defense which leads me to believe people's fear of being molested is entirely justified.

K: Do the numbers grow, or lessen? That is the question to answer here.

C: Do some research, I'd be interested to know the answer to that question.
This American report about the likely causes for the dramatic drop in American crime rates in the '90s states that "higher rates of handgun ownership, which represent about one-third of all rearms, may be a causal factor in violent crime rates".

It also states that, if the costs of using guns in the commission of actual crimes were raised, on a large scale - say, nationally - as opposed to targeting ownership, gun crime would be more effectively reduced. It suggests such costs might be: more imprisonments, legalising abortion (costing a likely murderer its life), increasing numbers of police, and stopping drug epidemics.

K: Just as a standard definition may not be truthful, so also a law may also not be truthful, in which case it's reasonable to break and replace it. So, I define crime to be anti-truthfulness.

C: As long as you realize I define crime to be breaking the law. You know, theft, murder, rape, etc.
Is a total idiot a criminal?

K: For example, a reasonable person, when confronted by some crazy person shouting "God tells me to kill you", will probably do his best to prevent being killed, while remaining free from a similar superstition.

By contrast, an unreasonable person, in the same situation, will be extremely agitated, perhaps use excessive force, and believe that he also has a God-given right to kill the attacker. So, the crime - the criminal belief - lives on in him.

C: But you've still left out some rather important parts such as: how does the "reasonable person" defend himself while still remaining reasonable?
If the crazy person is not at all susceptible to reasoning, then he should be treated as a total idiot. One would stop trying to reason, and apply adequate force, to stop him doing anything that might have an unhelpful effect on one's own consciousness.

What "adequate force" is depends on the situation.

This seems to indicate what a police officer should do with a total idiot.

Also, in a situation where one person means to kill you killing that person really ceases to be excessive force.
A better option is to disarm a total idiot, as the above link described.

If reasoning doesn't get anywhere and the idiot's gun is aimed at one and seems to be about to fire, then if I have reasoned that my life is probably more valuable than theirs, I would not hesitate in doing my best to kill them. I could be mistaken, and they were only an actor, however.

-
ChochemV2

Post by ChochemV2 »

Kelly,
Owning and using guns has no meaning in itself. It is only when it's regarded as a God-given right, or even just a "right", that it becomes a problem. That belief is delusional, seeing that rights are determined by values.
The state gives us this "right" to own guns and it's one of the foundation beliefs in this country. America has a history which is closely tied to guns and Americans don't react kindly when the rights granted to them by the government are whisked away without reason, or for reasons which cannot be substantiated.
A total idiot is looked after by others, so they don't do any harm to themselves. When such a person becomes violent, and escapes from carers, then it needs to be retrieved by trained experts, who will not use excessive force.
That's wonderful but the situation you posited involved someone intending to kill you. If someone has a gun pointed at you and intends to kill you saying "Where are the trained professionals who can disable this mad man?" out loud doesn't save your life.
We need to include as a "total idiot" someone who is on a drug high, like cocaine or crack.
As you asked me to direct my posts to whomever is quoted, can I ask you to simply say what you mean? If you mean "a crack head wants to kill you" then say that not "a total idiot wants to kill you", it would make the conversation much easier to follow.
This American report about the likely causes for the dramatic drop in American crime rates in the '90s states that "higher rates of handgun ownership, which represent about one-third of all rearms, may be a causal factor in violent crime rates".
It also says:
There is, however, little or no evidence that changes in gun control laws in the 1990s can account for falling crime.
Given the realities of an active black market in guns (Cook, Molliconi and Cole, 1995), the apparent ineffectiveness of gun control laws should not come as a great surprise to economists. Even in the late 1980s, prior to the Brady Act, only
about one-Ž fth of prisoners reported obtaining their guns through licensed gun dealers (Wright and Rossi, 1994).
More stringent gun-control policies such as bans on handgun acquisition passed in Washington, D.C., in 1976 and the ban on handgun ownership in Chicago in 1982 do not seem to have reduced crime, either.
According to the author gun control shows little or now impact on gun violence specifically because of the black market gun trade in the US. The guns are already out there and the criminals aren't buying them legally.
It also states that, if the costs of using guns in the commission of actual crimes were raised, on a large scale - say, nationally - as opposed to targeting ownership, gun crime would be more effectively reduced. It suggests such costs might be: more imprisonments, legalising abortion (costing a likely murderer its life), increasing numbers of police, and stopping drug epidemics.
And I have no problem with increasing punishment for gun crimes because it specifically targets criminals and not law-abiding gun owners, as gun control does.

It also states that the four things which likely are responsible for the drop in crime (violent or property, in this instance) were:

1.) An increase in the number of police
2.) Rising prison population
3.) The receding crack epidemic
4.) Legalizing abortion

These are four things which address the culture of violence and punishment of criminals and not taking away the weapons that criminals choose to use.
Is a total idiot a criminal?
Illegal drug users are criminals, assuming you haven't reverted to the dictionary definition of "idiot". In that case, a foolish person isn't a criminal unless he or she breaks the law.
A better option is to disarm a total idiot, as the above link described.
I'm not arguing that disarming someone is the better option. I said that in a situation where someone is trying to kill you lethal force is justified. You even seemed to agree with me admitting you wouldn't refrain from killing someone if you judged it was necessary.
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

Why do you think it is so important that people own guns,
Because of the St. Batholomew's Day massacre, which lead to the second amendment.
Truth is a pathless land.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Iolaus wrote:
Why do you think it is so important that people own guns,
Because of the St. Batholomew's Day massacre, which lead to the second amendment.

-tomas-
Guns will always be available. Gee, the paramilitaries of South America (amazonia rainforests) have nothing better to do than depopulate the native Indians from their homelands. No people? well well, who then has title to the lands? why, the Patent Office of the respective 'host nation'.

Look no further than what Great Britain, France, Portugal, Spain did here in the North Americas. Clean out the "natives" presto chango, the patent office divides all into townships.... no peoples, no cear titles to the "virgin" lands...

You (Kelly) dumb nut, what you think happened with the Aborigine of Australia? Starve them, shoot them, mollify them to white culture. The white man IS the devil seed.

Guns will always be available and even more lethal after you and i have gone on to the happy hunting grounds. A little depleted uranium dust does the body good.

Tomas (the tank)
Prince of Jerusalem
16 Degree
Scottish Rite Free Mason

Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Tomas wrote:Guns will always be available. Gee, the paramilitaries of South America (amazonia rainforests) have nothing better to do than depopulate the native Indians from their homelands. No people? well well, who then has title to the lands? why, the Patent Office of the respective 'host nation'.

Look no further than what Great Britain, France, Portugal, Spain did here in the North Americas. Clean out the "natives" presto chango, the patent office divides all into townships.... no peoples, no cear titles to the "virgin" lands...

You (Kelly) dumb nut, what you think happened with the Aborigine of Australia? Starve them, shoot them, mollify them to white culture. The white man IS the devil seed.

Guns will always be available and even more lethal after you and i have gone on to the happy hunting grounds. A little depleted uranium dust does the body good.
It's true that more developed complex organisms (say, humans with white skin) compete far more successfully for resources, and determine which resources are cultivated. Using guns is a way of getting at resources, whether that is to kill an animal, or kill a competitor, or to kill one intent on killing one. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this.

Guns are just a type of tool, they won't be around if the purpose for them is not around. For instance, if the earth is swallowed up in a multi-galactic collapse, which is possible, and no humans escape.

Tools are designed and used based on the ideas and values of the individual. And these are always pervious to change.

Tomas (the tank)
Prince of Jerusalem
16 Degree
Scottish Rite Free Mason
I see this signature as a tool that you've designed and used according to your ideas and values. Since all values are created by reason (or lack thereof), they can change.

What values do you think this signature relies on ? What is its purpose ?

-
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

ChochemV2,

K: Owning and using guns has no meaning in itself. It is only when it's regarded as a God-given right, or even just a "right", that it becomes a problem. That belief is delusional, seeing that rights are determined by values.

C: The state gives us this "right" to own guns and it's one of the foundation beliefs in this country.
This is a delusional belief, with no rational basis.

Just because a group of people says, "Here, you can do so-and-so", doesn't mean you can always do so-and-so.

America has a history which is closely tied to guns and Americans don't react kindly when the rights granted to them by the government are whisked away without reason, or for reasons which cannot be substantiated.
It's interesting that the many different excuses, offered for supporting the usage and ownership of guns in America, in this thread, boil down to this:

- Someone else said I should, and they must be right
- No one else can be trusted
- Other people cannot be trusted to create and maintain a civilised human environment

It's very short-sighted and hellish. Very much coming out of a Merged Void mentality.

K: A total idiot is looked after by others, so they don't do any harm to themselves. When such a person becomes violent, and escapes from carers, then it needs to be retrieved by trained experts, who will not use excessive force.

Ch: That's wonderful but the situation you posited involved someone intending to kill you. If someone has a gun pointed at you and intends to kill you saying "Where are the trained professionals who can disable this mad man?" out loud doesn't save your life.
This is called awareness of consequences, so it may save lives. Being aware of how a situation may unfold does prepare intelligent persons.

For example:

- How to disarm an armed and violent idiot
- How to contact people trained to disarm the same
- Making sure there are people trained, and enough of them

and so on.

As the old saw goes, prevention is better than cure. Better to deal with it a long, long time before it happens.

K: We need to include as a "total idiot" someone who is on a drug high, like cocaine or crack.

C: As you asked me to direct my posts to whomever is quoted, can I ask you to simply say what you mean? If you mean "a crack head wants to kill you" then say that not "a total idiot wants to kill you", it would make the conversation much easier to follow.
They are exactly the same thing. You said something like, "a person who you can't reason with".

K: This American report about the likely causes for the dramatic drop in American crime rates in the '90s states that "higher rates of handgun ownership, which represent about one-third of all rearms, may be a causal factor in violent crime rates".

C: It also says:
There is, however, little or no evidence that changes in gun control laws in the 1990s can account for falling crime.
Yes, I read that. It's not strictly true though, because the article also states that crime fell when laws were passed to put more people who used guns to commit crimes in prison. That is really a law that controls gun usage, as it's a deterrent.

Given the realities of an active black market in guns (Cook, Molliconi and Cole, 1995), the apparent ineffectiveness of gun control laws should not come as a great surprise to economists. Even in the late 1980s, prior to the Brady Act, only
about one-Ž fth of prisoners reported obtaining their guns through licensed gun dealers (Wright and Rossi, 1994).
Yes. But look at the bigger picture. Potential criminals obtain guns in the same society that has prisons, police officers, abortion clinics, orphanages, juvenile detention centres, and drug rehabiliation wards.

So even though the potential criminal may not seem to come under gun control laws, there are many ways to communicate the cost of using guns to commit crimes.

More stringent gun-control policies such as bans on handgun acquisition passed in Washington, D.C., in 1976 and the ban on handgun ownership in Chicago in 1982 do not seem to have reduced crime, either.
You left out the rest of the paragraph:
While initial research suggested a bene cial impact of the D.C. gun ban (Loftin, McDowall, Weirsema and Cottey, 1991), when the city of Baltimore is used as a control group, rather than the affluent Washington suburbs, the apparent benefits of the gun ban disappear(Britt, Kleck and Bordua, 1996). Although no careful analysis of Chicago’s gun ban
has been carried out, the fact that Chicago has been a laggard in the nationwide homicide decline argues against any large impact of the law. From a theoretical perspective, policies that raise the costs of using guns in the commission of actual
crimes, as opposed to targeting ownership, would appear to be a more effective approach to reducing gun crime (for instance, Kessler and Levitt, 1999). The most prominent of these programs, Project Exile, which provides prison sentence en-
hancements for gun offenders, however, has been convincingly demonstrated to be ineffective by Raphael and Ludwig (2003), apparently in part because of the small scale on which it was carried out.
In other words, research hasn't been completed. Likely as not, there hasn't been enough funding.

According to the author gun control shows little or now impact on gun violence specifically because of the black market gun trade in the US. The guns are already out there and the criminals aren't buying them legally.
Again, the bigger picture is that gun control laws are an umbrella that encompasses all gun usage, both legal and illegal. The current perspective, which is popular from the look of things, is that gun control laws are only relevant to those who are likely to obey them.

This is ridiculous. The laws are for those who are not likely to obey them.

Laws that help make drug rehab patients and juvenile delinquents aware that gaol-life is a typical outcome for using guns in committing crimes. Or making young women aware that abortion is a very valuable option, when one's life is not stable. That sort of thing.

1.) An increase in the number of police
2.) Rising prison population
3.) The receding crack epidemic
4.) Legalizing abortion

These are four things which address the culture of violence and punishment of criminals and not taking away the weapons that criminals choose to use.
Well, I hope the guns are confiscated when arrested, and while in prison.

K: Is a total idiot a criminal?

C: Illegal drug users are criminals, assuming you haven't reverted to the dictionary definition of "idiot". In that case, a foolish person isn't a criminal unless he or she breaks the law.
If someone is aware that hard drug use is likely to cause them to become violent as well as totally idiotic, and they go on to use the drugs, then they are a criminal.

But while they're out of control, then one has to treat them like a total idiot until they're capable of reasoning again.

K: A better option is to disarm a total idiot, as the above link described.

C: I'm not arguing that disarming someone is the better option.
It sounds rational to me.

I said that in a situation where someone is trying to kill you lethal force is justified.
"Lethal force" is just a euphemism for "kill them".

It's far better to disarm someone who is intent on killing.

You even seemed to agree with me admitting you wouldn't refrain from killing someone if you judged it was necessary.
Only if they can't be disarmed.

-
ChochemV2

Post by ChochemV2 »

Kelly,
This is a delusional belief, with no rational basis.

Just because a group of people says, "Here, you can do so-and-so", doesn't mean you can always do so-and-so.
No, it's a fact of life which must be dealt with and for now there are people who say what we can do and rules which society has set. There are ways of changing the law but you'd have to prove it would make a difference.

Saying "The world would be better without guns" isn't enough.
It's very short-sighted and hellish. Very much coming out of a Merged Void mentality.
I'm still looking for proof that a gun ban or greater restriction will actually make a difference. As with above, it's fine to say "Without guns there will be no gun deaths" but much more difficult to make gun disappear.
As the old saw goes, prevention is better than cure. Better to deal with it a long, long time before it happens.
Once again, that's wonderful, but beside the point. Cops take time to get to a scene, disarming a criminal is above the skill level of the average person, and someone who means to harm you isn't easily reasoned with.
They are exactly the same thing. You said something like, "a person who you can't reason with".
Once again, that isn't the point. I'm asking for you to use generally accepted definitions instead which everyone will understand instead of your specialized definitions which need explanation.
Yes, I read that. It's not strictly true though, because the article also states that crime fell when laws were passed to put more people who used guns to commit crimes in prison. That is really a law that controls gun usage, as it's a deterrent.
And, once again, gun control laws refer to laws which are meant to restrict the sale and use of firearms. The author is clearly making the distinction between "gun control" and punishment laws in his analysis.
So even though the potential criminal may not seem to come under gun control laws, there are many ways to communicate the cost of using guns to commit crimes.
As above, you seem to be suffering from a disconnect between gun control laws and punishment laws.
In other words, research hasn't been completed. Likely as not, there hasn't been enough funding.
The author seemed, to me, to be inferring that gun control laws didn't make an impact while increasing the punishment for using a gun in a crime did coincide with a reduction in crime.
Again, the bigger picture is that gun control laws are an umbrella that encompasses all gun usage, both legal and illegal. The current perspective, which is popular from the look of things, is that gun control laws are only relevant to those who are likely to obey them.
Gun control laws are only relevant to those who obey them. There is no denying that gun control laws such as restrictions on sales and registration only effect law-abiding citizens. Criminals buy their guns illegally thereby circumventing the restriction and licensing process.
If someone is aware that hard drug use is likely to cause them to become violent as well as totally idiotic, and they go on to use the drugs, then they are a criminal.
Whatever you say, I define a criminal as someone who breaks the law.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Whatever you say, I define a criminal as someone who breaks the law.
I would regard a criminal as someone who wrongs others as a result of an excessively demanding ego.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Two votes for "criminal" meaning "someone who breaks the law" - although technically they are still a suspect until they are convicted in a court of law.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

-ChochemV2(Choke-em-all) writes-
I define a criminal as someone who breaks the law.

-tomas-
Hmmm. Well, depends what state, province, territory, the street-turf one is standing on. I sure as heck ain't gonna stop some heroin dealer selling to some schoolteacher who otherwise is a law-abiding "citizen".

I meet junkies all the time who are lawyers, aldermen, bank managers, etc. so-on-and-so-forth...

Steal from the old grandma down the block, infirm, rape or molest kids and you deal with me. The cops will come and pick through the deceased belongings and then call for the undertaker and bodybag patrol.

Street justice has and will be the rule of thumb. We all have things in our past (skeleton closet) that we wouldn't have see the light of day. If you wanna be bad, be clear of your intentions and be sure the other consenting adult[s] is/are fully aware and vice-versa.

You know, give the crack-head the $20 or the street-wino some cash so they aren't forced by "the system" to rob from their neighbor (fellow human). If they're hungry, take them to a first-class restaurant for the full spread and leave them with some cash when departing. Get them a job at your place of employment - hold your head high that you did what you could for them, ust don't make a show of it. Be a Samaritan, it'll come back to you in your time of need. Plant a seed of hope for a better time. Build a better world.

Tomas (the tank)
VietNam veteran - 1971
Prince of Jerualem
16 Degree
Scottish Rite Free Mason

Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

I meet junkies all the time who are lawyers, aldermen, bank managers, etc. so-on-and-so-forth...
Really, now? That is most interesting Tomas. Where do you generally hang out?
Truth is a pathless land.
Kelly Jones

Re:

Post by Kelly Jones »

ChochemV2 wrote:K: Owning and using guns has no meaning in itself. It is only when it's regarded as a God-given right, or even just a "right", that it becomes a problem. That belief is delusional, seeing that rights are determined by values.

C: The state gives us this "right" to own guns and it's one of the foundation beliefs in this country.

K: This is a delusional belief, with no rational basis. Just because a group of people says, "Here, you can do so-and-so", doesn't mean you can always do so-and-so.

C: No, it's a fact of life which must be dealt with and for now there are people who say what we can do and rules which society has set. There are ways of changing the law but you'd have to prove it would make a difference.
The important point is that "rights" are made up by people, so they are not existing inherently and inalienably in reality. That is why I say that fighting emotionally to hold onto rights, as if they are God- or State-given, is delusional.

Does this make sense?

Saying "The world would be better without guns" isn't enough.
I have not said this. I have been consistent in contextualising my points to help thinkers emerge. Anything which promotes reason above blind faith and emotionalism, is such a crack in the barrier separating thinkers from the herd-mind.

K: It's interesting that the many different excuses, offered for supporting the usage and ownership of guns in America, in this thread, boil down to this:

- Someone else said I should, and they must be right
- No one else can be trusted
- Other people cannot be trusted to create and maintain a civilised human environment

C: I'm still looking for proof that a gun ban or greater restriction will actually make a difference.
Do you see increased policing, increased imprisonment, legalised abortion, and halting of crack epidemics, as enough proof that restrictions on gun usage to commit crime, actually make a difference?

With crime reduced in this way, then there will be far less reason for the ordinary citizen to own and use guns, will there not?

K: As the old saw goes, prevention is better than cure. Better to deal with it a long, long time before it happens.

C: Once again, that's wonderful, but beside the point. Cops take time to get to a scene, disarming a criminal is above the skill level of the average person, and someone who means to harm you isn't easily reasoned with.
The very point I'm making, you are relying on to make yours. That is, to think in advance of a potential situation.

As explained in the above last comment, the potential criminal we're hypothesising about, becomes less of a potential if the proper action is taken. The aim is not necessarily to learn to disarm a criminal yourself, or to kill him, but to reduce his likelihood.

K: They are exactly the same thing. You said something like, "a person who you can't reason with".

C: Once again, that isn't the point. I'm asking for you to use generally accepted definitions instead which everyone will understand instead of your specialized definitions which need explanation.
Your complaint seems to be that criminals shouldn't be defined as those who hate truth or are unconscious of truth.

In what way do criminals show a love of truth?

K: Yes, I read that. It's not strictly true though, because the article also states that crime fell when laws were passed to put more people who used guns to commit crimes in prison. That is really a law that controls gun usage, as it's a deterrent.

C: And, once again, gun control laws refer to laws which are meant to restrict the sale and use of firearms. The author is clearly making the distinction between "gun control" and punishment laws in his analysis.
Do you as an individual see a connection between increased imprisonment for criminals using guns, and new laws increasing imprisonment for criminals using guns?

It's the overall aim of the laws, that I'm getting at.

K: So even though the potential criminal may not seem to come under gun control laws, there are many ways to communicate the cost of using guns to commit crimes.

C: As above, you seem to be suffering from a disconnect between gun control laws and punishment laws.
I see a strong connection between legal and illegal gun usage, for the simple reason that non-criminal gun owners seem to demand the right to use firearms to protect themselves from criminals.

Take away the illegal gun usage, or most of it, and the defensive legal gun usage also disappears, or most of it.

K: In other words, research hasn't been completed. Likely as not, there hasn't been enough funding.

C: The author seemed, to me, to be inferring that gun control laws didn't make an impact while increasing the punishment for using a gun in a crime did coincide with a reduction in crime.
Obviously, funding wouldn't come through if this corrective step is premature. That makes sense: the four explanations help to orient to the destination in a long journey, far more than the six other explanations. The author doesn't say the four explanations can be relied on for the future, though, which again makes sense, since the other six will likely play a part further down the track.

Meaning, get the forensic system working properly first - the most severe and suicidal part of the illness.

K: Again, the bigger picture is that gun control laws are an umbrella that encompasses all gun usage, both legal and illegal. The current perspective, which is popular from the look of things, is that gun control laws are only relevant to those who are likely to obey them.

C: Gun control laws are only relevant to those who obey them. There is no denying that gun control laws such as restrictions on sales and registration only effect law-abiding citizens. Criminals buy their guns illegally thereby circumventing the restriction and licensing process.
You're not thinking.

Laws are made, by definition, to prevent undesirable events.

That the legal and forensic systems have broken down so drastically in America, does not change this basic fact.

It is the standard process of making and enforcing laws via deterrents and incentives, that can help reduce crime in America, and, in turn, fear of criminals.

K: If someone is aware that hard drug use is likely to cause them to become violent as well as totally idiotic, and they go on to use the drugs, then they are a criminal.

C: Whatever you say, I define a criminal as someone who breaks the law.
I'm defining a specific law, not what a criminal is. It can be, that anyone who knows that hard drug use is likely to cause them to become violent and totally idiotic, and goes onto use the drugs, is a criminal, and should be dealt with as such.

Do you not agree?

-
ChochemV2

Re: American National Anti-Gun Association

Post by ChochemV2 »

Kelly Jones wrote:The important point is that "rights" are made up by people, so they are not existing inherently and inalienably in reality. That is why I say that fighting emotionally to hold onto rights, as if they are God- or State-given, is delusional.
I haven't been arguing from that point of view, just advocating the fact that in a discussion such as this one has to take the law into account including how attached people are to it and how to change it. I've been arguing that gun control laws fail to solve the problem and instead harm the law abiding citizen who keeps a gun for self-defense or collecting. Harsher sentencing, more and better organized police, affecting social change and the like do reduce crime but gun control doesn't, or at least doesn't to a degree which we have been able to measure yet.
Kelly Jones wrote:Do you see increased policing, increased imprisonment, legalised abortion, and halting of crack epidemics, as enough proof that restrictions on gun usage to commit crime, actually make a difference?
No, because none of those are examples of restrictions on gun usage. They are examples of social change and change in consequences for using firearms but not technically "gun control". These are the things which will change society and not the mindless beliefs of our gun control groups which simply scream "Get rid of the guns!".
Kelly Jones wrote:With crime reduced in this way, then there will be far less reason for the ordinary citizen to own and use guns, will there not?
One can only hope so. I'd love to live in a country where 50% of households didn't feel the need to own a gun.
Kelly Jones wrote:As explained in the above last comment, the potential criminal we're hypothesising about, becomes less of a potential if the proper action is taken. The aim is not necessarily to learn to disarm a criminal yourself, or to kill him, but to reduce his likelihood.
And most people take preventative steps such as deciding where they live, only walking on the street at certain times, paying attention to their surroundings to avoid potential conflict and the like. In the event that your life is threatened, even if you are being cautious, it's potentially beneficial to have a gun.
Kelly Jones wrote:Your complaint seems to be that criminals shouldn't be defined as those who hate truth or are unconscious of truth.

In what way do criminals show a love of truth?
How many non-criminals are conscious of truth? It isn't beneficial to include something which isn't universal to the group we are discussing in a definition of that group.
Kelly Jones wrote:Do you as an individual see a connection between increased imprisonment for criminals using guns, and new laws increasing imprisonment for criminals using guns?
While I personally think imprisonment is an artificial control of criminals I have seen evidence, such as your link, that increased punishment decreases the overall level of crime.
Kelly Jones wrote:I see a strong connection between legal and illegal gun usage, for the simple reason that non-criminal gun owners seem to demand the right to use firearms to protect themselves from criminals.
Yes, but the connection is one way. If you reduce illegal gun usage then legal gun usage goes down, however, if you reduce legal gun usage it doesn't change the level of illegal gun usage.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

In my opinion, the best purpose for war is to help others become rational. The worst purpose for war is to dominate by displays of power, wealth, population, intellect, etc. My opinion is based on valuing consciousness.

This was the conclusion from the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war criminals, though Jackson, who ran the trials, called it "civilisation" instead. It was the same conclusion from the Russian-Cuban and Vietnam wars (Robert McNamara's opinion).

Nothing should replace rationality as the primary value for all individuals. Otherwise, how can the value of anything be correctly judged? Reason validates itself, by using it, but no other value is like this. Reason is truth-oriented, so is basically the same as valuing truth. By illustration, all wars based on anything else, like replacing communism with capitalism, or one delusional view of the Universe with another, always lead to more confusion, because people intuitively know that all values are relative. Thus, the grand principle of all these relative-value wars, is inevitably Blind Fate ---- the idea that rationality is not foolproof. Until rational becomes The #1 Value for all individuals, wars will be works of great inefficiency and stupidity.

War usually arises either because values are in conflict, or by chance (such as when conflicting values are mistakenly identified). So the best, first method of conducting war is not to annihilate or destroy, but to work out what the likely causes are, whether values or chance. This is a sign of civilisation/consciousness. It is basically: to reason.

If the leader of a country doesn't know that rationality is of first importance, then there is no wisdom. And the leader's advisors should also know the best purpose of war, rather than just obey orders. Otherwise consciousness and civilisation becomes degraded. In fact, every individual must place rationality above obedience to laws. Otherwise, they are prey to being blindly exploited. And what is worse, can commit war crimes by making mistakes and wasting lives.

Be a man of thought first, before being a man of action.

------
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

ChochemV2 wrote:K: The important point is that "rights" are made up by people, so they are not existing inherently and inalienably in reality. That is why I say that fighting emotionally to hold onto rights, as if they are God- or State-given, is delusional.

C: I haven't been arguing from that point of view, just advocating the fact that in a discussion such as this one has to take the law into account including how attached people are to it and how to change it.
This is a very important point to take into account.

If those making the laws to reduce crime, actually believe in delusional ideas, then those ideas will filter into the laws.

If you, for instance, believe those rights to inherently exist, then you'll fight tooth and nail for them, without realising your behaviour is virtually as criminal and as destructive of consciousness, as those you're trying to condemn.

Do you see increased policing, increased imprisonment, legalised abortion, and halting of crack epidemics, as enough proof that restrictions on gun usage to commit crime, actually make a difference?

C: No, because none of those are examples of restrictions on gun usage. They are examples of social change and change in consequences for using firearms but not technically "gun control". These are the things which will change society and not the mindless beliefs of our gun control groups which simply scream "Get rid of the guns!".
So, you do agree that they make a difference to gun usage to commit crime, and do actually restrict gun usage to commit crime?

Can you give some specific examples of how public support can best be aroused for them?

K: With crime reduced in this way, then there will be far less reason for the ordinary citizen to own and use guns, will there not?

C: One can only hope so. I'd love to live in a country where 50% of households didn't feel the need to own a gun.
What other suggestions do you have to help the cause along?

K: As explained in the above last comment, the potential criminal we're hypothesising about, becomes less of a potential if the proper action is taken. The aim is not necessarily to learn to disarm a criminal yourself, or to kill him, but to reduce his likelihood.

C: And most people take preventative steps such as deciding where they live, only walking on the street at certain times, paying attention to their surroundings to avoid potential conflict and the like. In the event that your life is threatened, even if you are being cautious, it's potentially beneficial to have a gun.
So making predictions about possible events is normal for humans. Having the ability to look many years into the future is a sign of genius.

What do you think a genius is? Someone who believes in the intrinsic separateness of his biological self, from his environment, perhaps?

K: Your complaint seems to be that criminals shouldn't be defined as those who hate truth or are unconscious of truth. In what way do criminals show a love of truth?

C: How many non-criminals are conscious of truth? It isn't beneficial to include something which isn't universal to the group we are discussing in a definition of that group.
Yes, and I have introduced that thing. At one end of the scale is unconsciousness and mindless/idiotic hatred of truth, and at the other is consciousness and mindful "love" of truth. In between these points are many. We can put criminals and total idiots at the 0% conscious end, and the wise man and sage at the 100% end (or, for purposes of this discussion, 70-100%).

The majority of people are at 0.5-3% conscious, so they are not identical with the criminals and total idiots, but very close.

The reason I say criminals hate truth and are unconscious, is because their actions, while occasionally showing daring, creativity and imagination, are typically driven by hellish beliefs about Reality. There's very little capacity for thinking freely, calmly and rationally. While most people are similarly fixated with status, hold delusional beliefs about Reality, and don't think much at all either, the difference that "bumps" the majority up a bit is that they have less hellishness in their everyday lives.

K: Do you as an individual see a connection between increased imprisonment for criminals using guns, and new laws increasing imprisonment for criminals using guns?

C: While I personally think imprisonment is an artificial control of criminals I have seen evidence, such as your link, that increased punishment decreases the overall level of crime.
So you definitely see a connection between using laws to create deterrents to crime, and reduced crime ?

Do you think this is the same process, in principle at least, as reasoning up the best plan of behaviour, then carrying it out ?

K: I see a strong connection between legal and illegal gun usage, for the simple reason that non-criminal gun owners seem to demand the right to use firearms to protect themselves from criminals.

C: Yes, but the connection is one way. If you reduce illegal gun usage then legal gun usage goes down, however, if you reduce legal gun usage it doesn't change the level of illegal gun usage.
Ok.

How do you think Americans can raise popular support for deterrents against illegal gun usage ?

-
DHodges

How to reduce gun crime

Post by DHodges »

Kelly Jones wrote:How do you think Americans can raise popular support for deterrents against illegal gun usage ?
There's a billboard that I see on my way to work that states if you are convicted of a crime involving both drugs and guns, there is a mandatory five year minimum sentence.

Is that the kind of thing you have in mind?
ChochemV2

Post by ChochemV2 »

Personally I have a problem with more severe prison sentences because prisons create an artificially lower crime rate. It's easy to say that increased prison sentences lead to a decrease in crime because they keep criminals from committing crimes, the hypothesis is self-supporting.

The question is whether prison is a deterrent and whether, in the long run, it will lead to anything more than an ever growing prison system. It seems to me that our penchant for prison over treatment has done nothing but put an unprecedented number of American citizens behind bars.

America seems completely unwilling to finance social change which could lead to permanently lower crime rates because we'd rather buy useless possessions and build weapons even though we 1.) Don't have a militarily comparable opponent and 2.) Real war will probably be nuclear so how does artillery help with that?
Kelly Jones

Re: How to reduce gun crime

Post by Kelly Jones »

DHodges wrote:
Kelly Jones wrote:How do you think Americans can raise popular support for deterrents against illegal gun usage ?
There's a billboard that I see on my way to work that states if you are convicted of a crime involving both drugs and guns, there is a mandatory five year minimum sentence.

Is that the kind of thing you have in mind?
It's probably not early enough. I'm not sure that a reminder while speeding along a freeway with a crime in progress is early enough. I'm thinking that reminders while having breakfast, or even better, on packets of prophylactics would be better (Mum might decide not to fall pregnant).

Maybe competitions in multi-vitamin-loaded bread from the local deli? "Answer this question in 25 words or less: What do you want to achieve in the next five years? " Plus a short biography of a drug and gun convict, about his five years in gaol. Prize: A goal-achieving package worth $10,000, including expert advice on goals, psychology, financial planning, and efficient action, to help you achieve your goal.........

Imagine a packet of condoms saying: "68% of convicted criminals using guns, were abandoned as youths by parents who didn't want them. Think twice before getting pregnant."

-
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

ChochemV2 wrote:Personally I have a problem with more severe prison sentences because prisons create an artificially lower crime rate. It's easy to say that increased prison sentences lead to a decrease in crime because they keep criminals from committing crimes, the hypothesis is self-supporting.
Hang on, that's what a deterrent is. The desire to commit a crime depends on causes. The causes are whatever enables the crime to exist.

The question is whether prison is a deterrent and whether, in the long run, it will lead to anything more than an ever growing prison system. It seems to me that our penchant for prison over treatment has done nothing but put an unprecedented number of American citizens behind bars.
Are you talking about treatment before being convicted, or after?

America seems completely unwilling to finance social change which could lead to permanently lower crime rates because we'd rather buy useless possessions
Yes, Americans seem to have a bad "conviction" record when it comes to being intelligent. In the fifites, for instance, it was very difficult to get Americans to wear seat-belts, to save their own lives in car collisions.

However, knowing that Americans are like this, is an important step. It is getting to know the faults, and what to replace them with.

and build weapons even though we 1.) Don't have a militarily comparable opponent
I don't know about that. There are hundreds of thousands of nuclear warheads on earth, and probably a third are at 15 minutes' readiness for firing, by the order of a single man - whoever leads the country.

I think it's intelligent for a country to have the most powerful, up-to-date weapons one can afford. There is always a chance of being invaded by aliens, no matter how far-fetched that sounds. But even more obviously, it's intelligent to use weapons without the emotionalism that drove Lyndon to firebomb North Korea and kill ten thousand civilians by mistake.

and 2.) Real war will probably be nuclear so how does artillery help with that?
Nuclear armaments are last resorts, to wipe out whole nations (civilians), rather than soldiers. When the culture is wiped out, its defence mechanism is meaningless.

On another matter, but related, is that of "war crimes".

The interesting thing about "war crimes" is that they are actually based on reason. The way to defeat an opponent quickly is to find their weakness: what they love most. If the thing that love is attached to, is removed, then the opponent crumbles. Since human wars are typically driven by the same egotistical love of women and children, war crimes are generally those which destroy civilians (namely, attack one's own weakness, but in someone else).

Since that egotistical love is delusional, one who is thereby called a war criminal is also delusional. So, "a criminal is a person who breaks the law" is not really reliable as a definition.

-
ChochemV2

Post by ChochemV2 »

Kelly Jones wrote:Hang on, that's what a deterrent is. The desire to commit a crime depends on causes. The causes are whatever enables the crime to exist.
Yes, but historically it's been tough to prove that deterrents actually work. The death penalty can't truly be shown to reduce crime but we keep it around for closure, or retribution more honestly. Crime is irrational by it's very nature and a drug addict doesn't care about the punishment for his actions just getting high. A serial killer kills for fun and doesn't even consider the consequences. Thieves steal despite the consequences already, and have throughout history, so what would be enough to stop people from stealing? I doubt you can find significant evidence that any form of punishment acts as much of a deterrent.
Kelly Jones wrote:Are you talking about treatment before being convicted, or after?
At all. Our system seems to believe that making license plates and serving an extra five years for using a gun in a crime is the same thing as treatment. We choose mandatory minimum sentences for drug users instead of investing in drug rehab. It's only relatively recently that we even gave prisoners the ability to better themselves while in prison instead of simply locking them up and feeding them gruel.
Kelly Jones wrote:Yes, Americans seem to have a bad "conviction" record when it comes to being intelligent. In the fifites, for instance, it was very difficult to get Americans to wear seat-belts, to save their own lives in car collisions.
I think there were some more important things during the fifties such as McCarthyism and the beginning of our obsession with communism with the Korean War.
Kelly Jones wrote:I think it's intelligent for a country to have the most powerful, up-to-date weapons one can afford. There is always a chance of being invaded by aliens, no matter how far-fetched that sounds. But even more obviously, it's intelligent to use weapons without the emotionalism that drove Lyndon to firebomb North Korea and kill ten thousand civilians by mistake.
Aliens...? Honestly I stopped reading that reply seriously after you said that.
Kelly Jones wrote:Since that egotistical love is delusional, one who is thereby called a war criminal is also delusional. So, "a criminal is a person who breaks the law" is not really reliable as a definition.
You can't make "criminal" a universal definition. It's dependent on the cultures which apply it and the laws they have set. There are enumerated war crimes so there can be war criminals.
Tomas

Re:

Post by Tomas »

Iolaus wrote:
Really, now? That is most interesting Tomas. Where do you generally hang out?

-tomas-
Started three "small" businesses some 15-30 years ago (thanks to the old GI Bill). Employ about 160 full-timers and about 70 part-timers at the one, and another that employs about 80 people. The third about 50 or so. I don't do payroll or sign the checks anymore as the automatic pen is much handier :-)

To get things done in the "American" business world, you got to have operating loans and a good, reputable banking firm. Blah bla bla.

Take the local mayor (who may smoke a bowl of hashish on the way) to power lunch, hang at the gym a couple times a week with the personal lawyers that rep the business. They pop their pills (i don't give a rip what they do as long as they do the job i hire them to do!)

Scratch the landowners' back where one may need to expand a business (maybe he/she is growing a couple cannabis plants for "personal" use here in California. Get the abstracts in proper order. Contractors who may do a toot of coke and pass the spoon around...

Maybe, Iolaus, you live off the government handouts, I don't! Whatever you do, maybe nothing, but sitting in front off a screen of pixels is cool by you - it's not enough for me...

I'm in my mid 50s, life is way too short to sit around to philosophize to extremes...

I'm originally from North Dakota, grew up on a small-grain farm -slash- ranch (about 6,000 acres). Drafted into the Army right out of high school - ended up in VietNam and caught some shrapnel from a rocket-propelled grenade. Lost the left eye, left kidney, couple ribs, etc. Placed on a morphine drip and off to dreamland for some time - took a while to get off the stuff but hold no animosity to those who are not as able to kick the "habit" (drugs-ville), if you will.

Look, pal, drugs are every shape and form, whatever gets you through the night.

I've a preference to read Dan's comments as opposed to Kevin and David's...

You seem to be new to this list (i'm from the somewhat-older days on topica), so i'm -not bending- to rehash all my aches and pains with you, mister pixel, on a screen.

"the tank" (not "tank" but "the tank") comes from an incident that occurred the second day in VietNam...

and i'm a Free Mason, but not as active as i used to be, because at the time... a long, time ago... it opened the door to... (it's a secret) and it has served me well... :-)

Adios, Amigo.

Tomas (the tank)
VietNam veteran - 1971
Prince of Jerusalem
16 Degree
Scottish Rite Free Mason

Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Tomas wrote:Look, pal, drugs are every shape and form, whatever gets you through the night.
Have you gotten through the night, or are you still there?

life is way too short to sit around to philosophize to extremes...
What is philosophy to you?

-