UG Krishnamurti has died.

Post questions or suggestions here.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Cory,
This seems like the intelligent design argument dressed up in a fancy new dress. 'Unfathomable nothingess' is the power-word used to make your intelligent design argument seem more legitimate.
What is wrong with an argument for intelligent design? Why is the eagle able to fly so high, while the crow so low? Why are all these metaphors wrapped into the very fabric of the totality itself? Why the dualistic paradoxical relationships? One could make an intelligent design argument very easily.
however, how is it that you think a super-intelligent creative force is any more likely? It seems even more unlikely.
It is very strange that the two of us are talking about this. And it is odd that the two of us are intelligently and creatively trying to figure out whether there is an intelligent and creative force operating in the universe.
So tell me more about how this unfathomable nothingness has a thinking apparatus.
Well, that is mere speculation based on intuitive experience, as are all metaphysical claims. : )
A perciever? The perciever, observer, whatever you want to call him, is thought. That was one of the most truthful and useful things about Jiddu Krishnamurti's work.
Yes, but in that temporarily state, no thought was possible, but there still was an observer aware that it was taking place, so you can call it whatever you want.

To say your brain totally shut off, yet you were horrified, panicking, and struggling to think during this 'process' - is all quite absurd. Who is struggling to think? It's memory, thought. You can't try to think unless you think with memory, with egoistic identity.
It wasn’t a struggle persay. I had a feeling that I wouldn’t be able to think because of how insane the experience felt, but I tried anyway, out of fear, but nothing happened.
You seem to be saying that the unfathomable nothingness is not conscious, yet it creates consciousness. How does it do that?
I think you’ve encountered a paradox.
I'm sorry, but it doesnt require a special cosmic force to creep into a persons brain for a person to realize a vastness that extends beyond the actual brain itself. It's really not that major of an achievement. I can recall thinking about the vastness of outer space, about the possiblity of infinity, and boggling over how a begining was possible, even before I was teenager.
I didn’t call it a special cosmic force, I labeled it unfathomable nothingness based on the intensity, depth, and scope of the actual experience.
So emotions like horror are not brain processes, but belong to a metaphysical center of ones being - a soul?
Emotions are of the center. They are of the heart, not the brain.
So - tell me again, how is it that you remember all of this if the brain was totally inactive? You seem to have a good recollection of the event.
It was only the cognitive ability that was temporarily disabled. I don’t understand the whole experience either, that is why I began to speculate and throw out theories. To test them on people to see what makes sense.
The 'I' is thought. Who is this person trying? You can't try without thought.
The “I” is much more than just thought. The individual at the deepest level is a sensitive being with feeling, that creates its entire system of thought simply as a means to keep the center in a stable state. Thought is just a tool to prevent tragedy and suffering for the most part.
Last edited by Ryan Rudolph on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Dan:
U.G. did an awful lot of talking for someone who didn't want anyone to take any notice of what he said. Smacks of piss and wind to me. I am somewhat ambivalent about his significance.
I agree, he did a lot of blabbing about things which, by his own admission, there was no sense in blabbing about. I do the same thing, and I'd imagine U.G. did it for a similar reason - it was his nature, and therefore he liked to to do it. In addition, U.G. never misled anybody about the fact that his life was made much easier by those who gave him money and resources in exchange for his "piss and wind." It's what they wanted, and it was in his nature to give it to them.
I live in a tub.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Ryan:
UG wanted people to listen to his words as a means to eventually abandon them completely. So his teaching still have some value for seekers that are at a certain level of awareness. Like all philosophers that speak some level of truth. UG was effective because he called for the total negation of everything. Other philosophers said this at all, but UG had a certain ruthless ruggedness about him that proved effective.
True, but my statement stands. As you pointed out, those who "get" UG are those who understand why they don't need to listen to anything he said. And UG did want people to "get" him, despite his protestations (for effect) to the contrary. So, anyone still thinking UG had something to teach hasn't "gotten" him yet. What he has to teach is that nobody has anything to teach. The Heart and Diamond Sutras and other Buddhist documents also teach this, properly (or even competently) read.

To understand the teaching is to discard it. I admired U.G. in the sense that he was among the most honest of the gurus in this regard. He didn't care about "keeping them coming back." And by not caring about it, he achieved the best of both worlds - the ones with potential "got it" and went away, while the dimwitted ones kept coming back thinking that because he didn't want them to come back, he had the "most profound teaching" or "crazy wisdom" or whatever else. These types paid his rent so he didn't have to get a job. Everybody won. It was brilliant.
I live in a tub.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Scott,
Sp: And what are your personal experiences on the subject?

Sc: I wrote a little about it before...do a search.
Thanks, but no thanks.
Enough to know that it's something physical and real, and not something a person believes in or doesn't.
Is this any less a favor that you are letting me know that it’s something physical and real.
Thanks again. I think I should not disturb you any more, then.
---------
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Ryan,
Moreover, perhaps the ‘unfathomable nothingness’ should be considered the most foundational aspect of reality, instead of the intellectual construction of causality that the QRS value.
Well, my take on this is thus; that there is neither an ‘unfathomable nothingness’, for that is contradictory and hence does not make logical sense, nor is causality merely an intellectual construction, (I don’t think they say that though), because logically speaking, causality is necessary for any type of thing, including intellectual construction, to occur, and is not a ‘thing’ itself, for there is nothing beyond it that it can be contrasted against, just like totality, making them one and the same “thing”. So causality is beyond an ‘intellectual construct’ and does not depend on it, however, it is known through reasoning, which also occurs in and of causality.

First one has to thoroughly understand what one means by ‘nothingness’, and there will come a point when one will drop even that all together. That is, when one knows that ‘nothingness’ eventually means nothing in the face of a dynamic duality, which is what makes totality – totality, and nothing lies beyond duality either.

By the way, “reality” does not have any fundamental level as such; All that there is (totality), is reality itself, hence in such contexts, even ‘reality’ holds no meaning for it cannot be compared to anything, and the same goes for totality in that sense.
So based on what happened to me, perhaps I was in some sort of limbo state – meaning that my own thinking apparatus was non-functional and whatever new field of consciousness I had entered, I also didn’t have access to its thinking apparatus either.
Consciousness – mind – thinking – are but a different names of the same thing, and memory is an inseparable part of that for it to hold any coherency, and if the thinking apparatus was non-functional, then you could not have been aware of any thing at all; during, or recollected later. It is the same thing as saying that I am aware of sleeping while I’m asleep. One could be aware that he is dreaming when dreaming, but cannot be aware of sleeping when in deep sleep.

Further more, consciousness is being considered to be totally a product of, and dependant on just the brain by some, but if you go deep enough, one cannot pin point where consciousness begins or ends since it is a caused condition, just like any other, although definable, and the fact that things and consciousness are inseparable, make them the two inseparable faces of the same coin.
---------
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Cory: This seems like the intelligent design argument dressed up in a fancy new dress. 'Unfathomable nothingess' is the power-word used to make your intelligent design argument seem more legitimate.

Ryan: What is wrong with an argument for intelligent design?
It disregards logic. For instance, this super-creative-intelligence, What created it?
Ryan: Why is the eagle able to fly so high, while the crow so low?
Darwinian natural selection explains this quite well.
Ryan: Why all these metaphors?
(I think simile is what you mean - here)

A good place to start is consider the vast number of creatures on earth that don't provide as easy simile for human behavior. For instance, A biologist once remarked that "God had an inordinate fondness for Beetles." There are more beetles than any species on this planet, and beetles, like many insects, don't provide very easy simile's for human behavior.

Creatures that provide easy simile's for human behavior do so because they are closer relatives to humans than bacteria and insects. (although, come to think of it, bacteria, the smallest and most distant relative of humans, ironically provide the most summarizing simile for the entirety of humanity)

But when it comes to particular behaviors in humans, we find more obvious simile's in the particular behavior of animals that are relatively closer relatives to humans. Monkey's for instance is very commonly used as a simile for human behavior, and that's because they are more closely related.

The most basic parts of the human brain can be found in all of the creatures that provide us easy simile's, whether it is the snake, the bull, the peacock, the eagle, etc.

The basic strategies of seduction, charm, aggression, fight/flight, of gathering food, cooperating, competing, of dominating, submitting, these are programed in lowest creatures, and since the lower creatures are operating in a simlar world as us, and since they have the same basic needs as us, then obviously we going to see a great deal of similarity to the point where we say: "Ah, that animal's behavior is much like human behavior" or "that human is like that animal"

We fancy superstitious/supernatural explanations because we fail to consider or have no way of knowing how vast, subtle and related the interactions comprising the world really are - in other words, aside from desiring what is comforting to the ego, we have our eyes merely on what is grossly apparent, and fail to consider or perhaps have no present way of knowing the subtler data. Pre-literate, primitive cultures had spiritual explanations for everything. A tree, the sun, the river, everything was an intelligent god or spirit. As we became more scientific and mechanical, each of our spiritual explanations became popped like balloons, one by one, until finally we were left only with one big balloon - God, cosmic consciousness.

How did this all come to be to begin with? Since science can't answer this question, then the utlimate balloon, intelligent design by super-consciousness, remains. But if we value this final balloon, it seems to only function to blind us from seeing with more subtlety.
(in regards to the crow and eagle) Why the dualistic paradoxical relationships?
I don't see them as paradoxal. Organizations are differentiated by various polarizations, and the more we study it the more godless and self-regulating it seems.
One could make an intelligent design argument very easily.
As mentioned above, aboriginals also found it quite easy to conjure spiritual explanations.
Cory: So tell me more about how this unfathomable nothingness has a thinking apparatus.

Ryan: Well, that is mere speculation based on intuitive experience, as are all metaphysical claims. : )
No, not all metaphysical claims are based on 'intuitive experience' (whatever that's supposed to mean) For instance, cause and effect, a metaphyiscal truth, is derived via rational reflection. It's a logical truth.
Cory: A perciever? The perciever, observer, whatever you want to call him, is thought. That was one of the most truthful and useful things about Jiddu Krishnamurti's work.

Ryan: Yes, but in that temporarily state, no thought was possible, but there still was an observer aware that it was taking place, so you can call it whatever you want.
You remember that it took place. Awareness depends on memory. Without memory you would just be in a blank stupor and after recovering you would have no idea that the stupor happened and thus you wouldn't be on this forum talking about it.
Cory: To say your brain totally shut off, yet you were horrified, panicking, and struggling to think during this 'process' - is all quite absurd. Who is struggling to think? It's memory, thought. You can't try to think unless you think with memory, with egoistic identity.

Ryan: I had a feeling that I wouldn’t be able to think because of how insane the experience felt

The fact that you remember the experience implies that a network of thought, a self, was interepreting a new expereince. It's like having an out of body experience while sleeping. The reason you remember it as a sensation is because thought was always there, recording and making sense of the sensation. If that wasn't the case then the sensation would not have been registered, and in a sense would not have existed.
Ryan: but I tried anyway, out of fear, but nothing happened.
What you are saying implies that thought was there, interpreting and recording the experience. (e.g. I remember nothing happened)
Cory: You seem to be saying that the unfathomable-nothingness is not conscious, yet it creates consciousness. How does it do that?

Ryan: I think you’ve encountered a paradox.
More like a contradiction in your reasoning! Your fanciful usage of the word paradox here is just an attempt to apply a powder puff over the pimple growing on the face of your vain reasoning.
Cory: So emotions like horror are not brain processes, but belong to a metaphysical center of ones being - a soul?

Ryan: Emotions are of the center. They are of the heart, not the brain.
The frumpiest new age books in existence say this very thing I'm afraid.
Cory: So - tell me again, how is it that you remember all of this if the brain was totally inactive? You seem to have a good recollection of the event.

Ryan: It was only the cognitive ability that was temporarily disabled. I don’t understand the whole experience either, that is why I began to speculate and throw out theories. To test them on people to see what makes sense.
Well, in my opinion you're not making any sense. It would have been reasonable if you said something like: "I had a deep experience where I beheld great vastness". But there's not much snake oil involved in saying something like that is there?

The brain has a hard time not interpreting its self image as super special and unique compared to others. In my opinion, U.G.'s life was just an attempt to 'get one up' on the unprecedentedly sophisticated (yet dishonest) veil of mystique established by Jiddu Krishnamurti. UG tried to destroy J.K's mystique, yet he did so while creating a mystique of his own by using much of J.K.'s original material (biological mutation that was a spiritual transformation/proccess, anti-thought, etc) He just modified and specialized J.K.'s material.

UG reportedly came down stairs for breakfast one morning and sincerely confided to his friend that J.k.'s ghost visited him and scorned him by saying: "U.G. - you need to water down your teaching! - it's too radical!"

UG said he replied to the JK's ghost: "Go away old man!"

I really don't think U.G. was entirely being playful. He was either trying to seduce and mystify his friend, or perhaps it was a moment of mental illness. I would say both.
Cory: The 'I' is thought. Who is this person trying? You can't try without thought.

The “I” is much more than just thought. The individual at the deepest level is a sensitive being with feeling, that creates its entire system of thought simply as a means to keep the center in a stable state. Thought is just a tool to prevent tragedy and suffering for the most part.
Right, and sensitivity, feeling and emotion belong to a non-material being. That's why physiological readings in the brain are recorded when emotions are felt by the subject being studied....
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Cory,
It disregards logic. For instance, this super-creative-intelligence, What created it?
Existence isn’t logical to being with. You assume that it can be understood as so. Have you ever considered that its beyond the realm of thought to understand, and our consciousness is too limited to be able to see the entire picture?
we fail to consider or have no way of knowing how vast, subtle and related the interactions comprising the world really are - in other words, aside from desiring what is comforting to the ego, we have our eyes merely on what is grossly apparent, and fail to consider or perhaps have no present way of knowing the subtler data. Pre-literate, primitive cultures had spiritual explanations for everything.
You can understand all these subtle and related interactions, but you still don’t understand anything. Science doesn’t reveal the truth of creation; natural selection doesnt give the entire picture, only a mechanical fragment that is linear and time-based.

Computer engineers have shown that you can program the infinite variance of natural selection into an artifical ecosystem, and still roughly know the outcome of what organisms will be created in each environment given that you understand how the parameters relate.

The biologist that wrote: the language of God, he documented the entire human genome project, states that if any one of the natural laws in nature were off by slightly 0.01 then the entire universe would not exist at all. Nothing would have formed to begin with, that is alot of random luck and chance..
As mentioned above, aboriginals also found it quite easy to conjure spiritual explanations.
I was only flirting with the idea, but I dont think you can be absolutely certain that the universe is not the result of intelligent design.

Some of the best scientists in the world intuitively considered the possibility of an all encompassing spiritual explanation of the cosmos, while diligently working away at empiricial science. Eg:// Einstein, David Bohm, Rupert Sheldrake, and then many sages divided the brain from the mind, calling the mind an unfathomable spirtual essence that prevades all things. And many of them asserted this based on their own intuitive experience.

Wasnt it Soren Kierkegaard that stated religious faith can only come through intuition?
cause and effect, a metaphyiscal truth, is derived via rational reflection. It's a logical truth.
I thought you said cause and effect is a fiction. Which is it? Either it’s a logical truth or a fiction.
More like a contradiction in your reasoning! Your fanciful usage of the word paradox here is just an attempt to apply a powder puff over the pimple growing on the face of your vain reasoning.
you overestimate the powers of reasoning.
The frumpiest new age books in existence say this very thing I'm afraid.
They got it right. Check for yourself.
Last edited by Ryan Rudolph on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

Unidian wrote:Ryan:
UG wanted people to listen to his words as a means to eventually abandon them completely. So his teaching still have some value for seekers that are at a certain level of awareness. Like all philosophers that speak some level of truth. UG was effective because he called for the total negation of everything. Other philosophers said this at all, but UG had a certain ruthless ruggedness about him that proved effective.
True, but my statement stands. As you pointed out, those who "get" UG are those who understand why they don't need to listen to anything he said. And UG did want people to "get" him, despite his protestations (for effect) to the contrary. So, anyone still thinking UG had something to teach hasn't "gotten" him yet. What he has to teach is that nobody has anything to teach. The Heart and Diamond Sutras and other Buddhist documents also teach this, properly (or even competently) read.

To understand the teaching is to discard it. I admired U.G. in the sense that he was among the most honest of the gurus in this regard. He didn't care about "keeping them coming back." And by not caring about it, he achieved the best of both worlds - the ones with potential "got it" and went away, while the dimwitted ones kept coming back thinking that because he didn't want them to come back, he had the "most profound teaching" or "crazy wisdom" or whatever else. These types paid his rent so he didn't have to get a job. Everybody won. It was brilliant.
The last of the pre-internet sages. I did not realize until this thread that the guy was still alive.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

I wrote this about fourteen years ago, but it still represents my view on him. Some of it reflects what has already been said on this thread.

A Critique of U.G. Krishnamurti, by David Quinn

U.G. Krishnamurti is certainly an interesting man. On the surface, his teachings appear to be genuinely Zennish. He powerfully attacks much of what humanity believes and cherishes, and is extremely critical of religious teachers, whom he calls frauds. He endeavours to undermine all the imagined "certainties" of his listeners and tries to keep them continually off-balance by contradicting everything that has ever been said before, including his very own statements. In so doing, his listeners are given no handles by which to form easy conclusions and are therefore forced to do some active thinking for themselves.

All this is very admirable. But the problem I have with UG is that he doesn't go anywhere near far enough. While his words are sometimes pretty good, his actions and his lifestyle are a different matter altogether. They provide too much nourishment for his deluded followers and nullify all the good that may come from his words.

Undermining realities for the sake of wisdom is completely different to undermining realities just for the sheer sake of it. In other words, being truly Zennish is infinitely removed from being merely contradictory. That UG's actions undermine his verbal teaching is not something to be celebrated. It is not an expression of his wisdom, but of his ego. At bottom, UG is a coward, and his cowardice literally destroys everything he says. Instead of promoting wisdom, UG is promoting delusions and lies.

I define wisdom as being the absence of all delusions. A wise man, then, is one who has banished all false thinking from his mind. This is also UG's stated goal. He advocates the "natural" state which comes from eliminating all false concepts, like "enlightenment", "spirituality", "God", "self", and so on. On this, I agree with him entirely.

But unfortunately, UG does not live in the "natural" state, as he often likes to claim. To my eyes, he is merely an actor, albeit a very ingenious one. He conforms to a role, that of the anti-guru, and as such is no different to any of the other thousands of run-of-the-mill gurus which litter this sorry planet. And just like all these other gurus, his role-playing only serves to strengthen the delusions of his listeners. His words might be full of fire and brimstone, but deep down everyone knows he is just a harmless puppy.

His lifestyle is far too concrete for my liking. He has literally cemented himself into the role of the anti-guru. He does this by wearing guru-like clothes, having guru-like hair, being rude to people, abusing his listeners, and treating everyone as if they were infinitely below him. Whenever he opens his mouth he seems to be addressing empty space. In other words, he directs his words into a vacuum, rather than attending closely to the questioner before him. Because he takes little account of the wisdom or character of the person who talks to him, his teachings lack discrimination. The person could well be a genuine human being asking a perfectly valid question, but more often than not UG just abuses him.

I certainly don't like the way UG speaks against every single wise man who has ever lived, as if he were the only person in history who has discovered the Truth! This is a very misleading and harmful habit of his. It only bolsters the personality cult which surrounds him and obscures the timeless wisdom which has been known for thousands of years.

Look at some sayings of wise people from the past:

"I truly attained nothing from complete, unexcelled
enlightenment." - Buddha.

"In truth there is no unalterable Dharma which the Tathagata
could have preached. Methods and techniques cannot
be compared to the sudden elimination of conceptual thought,
in the certain knowledge that there is nothing at all which
has absolute existence, nothing on which to lay hold, nothing
on which to rely, nothing in which to abide, nothing
subjective or objective." - Huang Po.

"True nature is no-nature." - Hakuin.

"The Kingdom of God is only for the thoroughly dead."
- Meister Eckhart.

All these men are teaching the very same thing that UG is supposedly teaching. The giving up of "seeking enlightenment" is a profound truth which has been articulated many times by wise men of all cultures. So why doesn't UG acknowledge this? Because it would destroy his role as an anti-guru.

If UG actually stepped down off his high horse and acknowledged his agreement with these men, his status would immediately be lowered in his followers' eyes. No longer would he be able to gain artificial substance by contrasting himself with the whole of humanity. His contrived personality would begin to dissipate and merge into other people.

In the Tao Te Ching it says somewhere that "the sage covers his tracks". As outlined above, this is something which UG does very poorly. He is far too visible to his deluded followers for my liking. UG's charismatic acting stands in the way of whatever wisdom he happens to possess. He literally fosters the personality cult which has sprung up around him. An example is his beloved "calamity", which he often speaks about and which is supposed to be central to his wisdom. Now I ask you, what on earth does this have to with understanding the Truth? Absolutely nothing! Yet he frequently spins this yarn about how he "physically died" as if it were somehow important, and this only causes his followers to bend down and worship him all the more. Rather than worshipping the Truth, his followers worship the vanity of UG instead.

There is no escaping the fact that the quality of his followers is very low. This more than anything else is a damning judgment upon the man. The type of people who are attracted to him are of the worst kind - submissive, worshipful, and sado- masochistic. People flock to him in order to be abused and get beaten up, something they will cherish for the rest of their lives. And it is obvious that UG himself takes great pleasure in inflicting pain upon them.

Accordingly, I find UG's attempts to repel people very insincere. The fact that he is frequently abusive, often rudely telling people to go away, is held up as a kind of proof that he is somehow different to the other gurus, that he really doesn't sell himself in order to be popular. But it doesn't wash with me. Look deeply into the man and you will see all the con tricks of a typical salesman.

UG doesn't really want to repel people. He only wants to be seen to be doing so. This is his image, his trademark style. It is the covert means by which he can attract a following. I mean, if he truly wanted to repel people, he could do so very easily. He could start becoming physically violent towards them, for example, or start urinating on them, or begin defecating in the living room, or start masturbating in the middle of a lecture, or whatever. If he started doing things like this, I assure you his followers would soon flee him like the plague.

More to the point, if he really wanted to drive people away and yet remain philosophical, all he has to do is start preaching about the nature of woman. I doubt very much whether his followers could really stomach an honest assessment of feminine nature. But I also doubt whether UG himself actually understands the profound difference between masculinity and femininity. I get the impression that he continually blocks this kind of knowledge from penetrating his consciousness.

So you see, UG Krishnamurti is not much of a wise man at all. He is duplicitous, dishonest, fraudulent, and vain. He boasts that he gives away everything he owns at the start of each year, including all his money. But he does this knowing full well he can rely on his followers to support him. And the reason he can rely on them is because he willingly panders to their delusions. Deep down, he regards his followers as little more than an investment for the future.

The root problem with UG, the one that underlies all the other problems outlined above, is that he has no bodhicitta. By this I mean he has no desire to become perfect. He is not willing to go all the way and eliminate his delusions completely. He holds onto a portion of his ego in order to enjoy life. J. Krishnamurti may have only seen the sugar cube and not tasted it, as UG is fond of saying, but UG himself does not want to become the sugar cube. He has some awareness of God, but has no desire to develop it into a full-blown consciousness of God.

Out of this lack of bodhicitta arise consequences of the worst kind. All the evils of egotism - war, violence, rape, ignorance, etc - are in large part caused by people like UG. For they set themselves up as gurus and therefore must assume a far greater responsibility for the world than ordinary people. And if these gurus are not really genuine, as is the case with UG, then the harm that is caused by them is simply immense.

But UG seems to be utterly unaware of this kind of thing. Indeed, his frequent claims that he has no teaching, that he is not a guru, that he does not believe in the "perfect person", etc, allows him an easy escape route from all responsibilities as a teacher. He can use these discourses to deflect anything which is directed too close to the bone. It enables him to obscure the fact that he is, at bottom, just a common egotist hell-bent on enjoying life and who just so happens to have some decent verbal skills.

As soon as UG dies, whatever wisdom he possesses will also die. All that will be left will be a sorry bunch of third-rate individuals fashioning a religious cult out of his name. It will be exactly the same fate as that of Ramakrishna, the Buddha and Jesus. A low quality religion, filled with superstitions and lies, will emerge and negate everything of value. This is the true face of U.G. Krishnamurti's wisdom.
Taken from the Thinking Man's Minefield.

-
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Ryan,
It was only the cognitive ability that was temporarily disabled. I don’t understand the whole experience either, that is why I began to speculate and throw out theories. To test them on people to see what makes sense.
Ryan R wrote:Sapius wrote:
One can consider them 'outlandish' only until one experiences them himself. And even after that, one will still consider them outlandish until he can logically comprehend “outlandish” things through reason and existing knowledge. That is if he can at all.
That’s a good point. The comparative judgment is only based on what I’ve experienced so it has an inherit limitation. Moreover, I have experienced other outlanish states so I probably shouldnt have judged it as so.

For instance: another strange experience happened while in mediation, and perhaps someone can relate to it. It occurred while in the depths of attention, and as brain went totally silent, suddenly the brain itself simply shut off totally, and I fell into what I’d call an “infinite and vast nothingness that went well beyond the field of the brain. I was quite horrified because I couldn’t force myself to think about anything no matter how hard I tried. There was a short duration of panic, but I calmed myself down, and eventually my brain functioning returned and I was able to think again. However, while in that state I felt rather insane and helpless, but I also came to the realization of how much security I had been deriving from familiar and habitable modes of thinking.

Can anyone relate to this experience?
Well, let's take another look and try to make some sense, which I think you should be desperate for. That is, if you are game.

I may have some answers, but you need to answer certain things first; the best you can.
strange experience happened while in mediation,
What kind of meditation exactly? Were your eyes closed during the meditation, and all along the experience, or did you open them, or remember opening them at certain point? Or were they not closed?
I was quite horrified because I couldn’t force myself to think about anything no matter how hard I tried.
I can understand the 'horrified' part, but what were you exactly doing to force your self to think? You tried hard; but what was involved in the 'trying' part? What made you feel that you were trying?
There was a short duration of panic, but I calmed myself down, and eventually my brain functioning returned and I was able to think again.
How exactly did you calm yourself? I mean, by what means do you think? Were you still in that state when you were trying to, or did calm yourself down? Could it be that what you mean by ‘my brain functioning returned” is that now you could think more clearly than in that state?
However, while in that state I felt rather insane and helpless, but I also came to the realization of how much security I had been deriving from familiar and habitable modes of thinking.
Now THAT I can relate to, but I think you are making a mistake in interpreting a certain part.

Of course, that realization came when you were not in that state, (right?) but your claim, that you "felt" in that state, could be a description of what thoughtfulness is like in such a state.

Really, you need to tell me more, but try and be accurate and do not interpret by using outlandish words to begin with. I do know it is hard to explain, but if you give me certain right clues, I could tell you exactly what it could be.
---------
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Sapius wrote:
What kind of meditation exactly?
It was night; which is when the body and brain are the most sensitive, and it was dark, and it was fairly quiet as it was past 11:00pm. The eyes were not opened.
what were you exactly doing to force your self to think? You tried hard; but what was involved in the 'trying' part? What made you feel that you were trying?
There was mental effort to think, but the vastness was all that was possible.
How exactly did you calm yourself?
There was a realization of the futility of forcing thought, but this realization was not a thought in itself. The realization was more like a intuition, there were no movements of images, which is how I typically define ‘thought’
Could it be that what you mean by ‘my brain functioning returned” is that now you could think more clearly than in that state?
The deep vastness state went away, and the regular daily awareness state returned. When this state returned I was able to think normally, and then I asked the question “I wonder what that experience was all about?”

Overall, I wanted to flirt with metaphysical theories based on the dynamic of the experience. I thought someone might have had a similar type of experience, since mystical experiences have entered the topic of conversation many times around here.

And Sapius, with words like ‘unfathomable nothingess’, I realize that these are merely abstractions that point to a spiritual state that one subjectively experiences so it is indeed logical to use this term as long as one knows that the term merely points to a psychological state that is felt.
Last edited by Ryan Rudolph on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

David:
I define wisdom as being the absence of all delusions. A wise man, then, is one who has banished all false thinking from his mind. This is also UG's stated goal. He advocates the "natural" state which comes from eliminating all false concepts, like "enlightenment", "spirituality", "God", "self", and so on. On this, I agree with him entirely.
Oh? For a guy who advocates getting rid of all those false concepts, you seem to advocate these same false concepts a lot. Well, "God" and "enlightenment," anyway.

What do you have to say about this? Terms of convenience?

BTW, I read the whole essay once before a while back. It's interesting, but I think you dismiss U.G. too readily. Of course, that only stands to reason, considering that U.G. would have had absolutely no patience with the whole Genius Forum approach.
I live in a tub.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Unidian wrote:
It's interesting, but I think you dismiss U.G. too readily.
Although, Quinn points out some of UG’s blatant flaws and imperfections, his judgment is a little too harsh. For instance: Quinn states that UG didn’t understand masculinity and femininity, but I don’t know. There is evidence that he understood the dangers of femininity. He got married and had children, but he eventually abandoned his wife and children totally. And there are a few stories of women that tried to get close to UG by serving him, and he kicked them out in quite a nasty manner. So he had a strong masculine side. Overall, he possessed some level of clarity, but he was a little rough around the edges. UG was like the 'mutt' of enlighenment. So I agree with Quinn that he could have refined some of his behaviors, but the criticism is a little too intense in terms of some of the conclusions derived.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Meh. I don't agree that the qualities you are pointing to in U.G. were strengths. I don't think that "understanding the danger of the feminine" has much to do with Eastern psychology, and I don't agree with the prevailing Genius Forum view on these matters. I don't see where the whole "masculinity" bit fits in to any authentic approach to Eastern stuff, except perhaps in a few isolated quotes which people like David and Kevin manage dig up. To these slim pickings they add a heavy dose of medieval and Victorian philosophy, which they can mine for anti-feminine ideas much more fruitfully.

In short, and as I've expressed at GF numerous times over the years, I think the whole focus on "femininity" is a massive and misguided dead-end. However, since it also seems to be the biggest unifying theme among a lot of GF members, I haven't made much progress in getting that across.
I live in a tub.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Unidian wrote:
I think the whole focus on "femininity" is a massive and misguided dead-end.
What is the main problem that you have in how the QRS define and use masculinity and femininity? eg://

1. Do you think a man can be attached to a woman and still be enlighened?

2. Do you think a man can be addicted to gross emotional stimulations and still be enlighened?

3. Do you think a woman has the same chance of being wise as a man?
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Ryan R wrote:What is the main problem that you have in how the QRS define and use masculinity and femininity? eg://
That it's basically Victorian thinking which has little relation to either Eastern or contemporary psychology. And that it is deeply misogynistic, although its proponents consistently deny this and turn the accusation back at critics. In that it scapegoats one gender (or one "mode of consciousness," to avoid QRS fits) for universal human failings, it is also counterproductive.
1. Do you think a man can be attached to a woman and still be enlighened?
I don't really do the "enlightened/unenlightened" distinction. I think that a man can have a relationship with a woman and be relatively wise, yes. Socrates is an example, and before anyone pipes up, they should know that that the bit about his wife being a "shrew" is considered an urban legend.
2. Do you think a man can be addicted to gross emotional stimulations and still be enlighened?
Again, the concept of "enlightenment" doesn't arise for me, but I don't think that wisdom is dependent on total renunciation or asceticism. The Buddha didn't think so, either.
3. Do you think a woman has the same chance of being wise as a man?
Yes, basically. The expression of that wisdom will probably be somewhat different, since men are more left-brained (logical and systematic) while women are more right-brained (intuitive and relational). A man's wisdom tends to be expressed in ideas and words, while a woman's is expressed in actions and behaviors. The fact that there aren't necessarily a great number of wise women should not be construed as evidence that their gender is inherently deficient. There aren't hordes of wise men, either.

Yes, a great many women are thoughtless, materialistic, manipulative, and dramatic, just as QRS and other anti-feminists allege. On the other hand, a great many men are shallow, violent, avaricious, and dishonest, as feminists and others contend. What's more, any of these qualities can be found in the opposite sex almost as readily as the one they are traditionally associated with. Ignorance and foolishness are human problems, not gender-specific ones.
I live in a tub.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I want to cut in with this...
since men are more left-brained (logical and systematic) while women are more right-brained (intuitive and relational).
Lately to me it's seemed that men are more logical and intuitive, and women are more relational and systematic.
- Scott
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Maybe so. I'm not an expert in gender psychology. I was only trying to establish that there are gender-based differences in psychological functioning (whatever they may be specifically) and therefore we should expect differences in how "wisdom" is expressed, in response to Ryan's question.

But can you elaborate on why you feel that intuition, which has traditionally been associated with women, is a male quality?
I live in a tub.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Men and women are both, for the most part, automatons, with men by nature possessing slightly more potential for transending this robotic condition.
Good Citizen Carl
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Nat,
Maybe so. I'm not an expert in gender psychology.
I'm not either by any means. I only intended to say that as a kind of off topic sidenote; just something I've noticed lately. It may be off.
But can you elaborate on why you feel that intuition, which has traditionally been associated with women, is a male quality?
Guys tend to rely on their gut feelings a lot of the time, and I often see gals trusting sets of rules that they memorize before their instincts. Females seem kind of more calculated. Not necessarily logical, but orderly in how they go about things. I've never really seen the female intuition often talked about. I've seen girls pretending to have intuition.
- Scott
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Interesting. I do think guys go by "gut feelings" a lot, although I have definitely experienced "female intuition" through at least one woman in my life. The woman I am in a relationship with knows how almost everybody is and what they are up to within 5 minutes, although I usually disagree with her appraisal initially. 3 out of 4 times, I have to go back later and admit that she had it right.
I live in a tub.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I may be projecting myself onto other guys, because I have the same ability as your girlfriend. Maybe it's not generally the case with other guys.
- Scott
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Ryan, I will get back to your other post a little later.
So I agree with Quinn that he could have refined some of his behaviors, but the criticism is a little too intense in terms of some of the conclusions derived.
Each and every realization of the same reality produces an absolutely unique individual mind. So it is actually meaningless to find total compatibility or agreeability between a mind and a mind.

Well, in my opinion, after his realization, UG turned into not a believer through logical deduction, but it itself. I think is should be very easy to understand by the one who understands causality.

If, I would suggest to UG to refine himself, he would say…

“It is your knowledge that tells you that I should refine myself. It is you who sees that refinement is needed, where none actually is.”

That is stark causality at work. It takes all kinds to make up existence, and each is actually quite unique.

It was very clear to me when I heard him say in one of those clips I saw…

I think in the clip where the conversation goes: “UG, I want to be like you” UG says, “why do you want to be like me? What do I have that you don’t”

Well, what UG says at one place is; “You can never be like me”

Now think why?
---------
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Sapius,
So it is actually meaningless to find total compatibility or agreeability between a mind and a mind.
I agree, but that doesn’t mean that we dismiss all his behavior as merely uniqueness. Some of his behaviors were dishonest and unacceptable.
Well, in my opinion, after his realization, UG turned into not a believer through logical deduction, but it itself.
I agree, U.G did understand the limitations of logical deduction.
“It is your knowledge that tells you that I should refine myself. It is you who sees that refinement is needed, where none actually is.”
Not necessarily. For instance: U.G was notorious for playing the trickster role with many of his hopeless followers, he liked to have fun with people by being deceptive. Sometimes he would lie by making up outlandish stories about himself. And it would serve as a sort of inside joke between himself and some of his intellectual buds. However, this sort of behavior is unacceptable. It is not a matter of uniqueness. U.G let himself go in many ways. UG is like the beautiful wife that initially works out everyday, goes tanning, wears makeup, wears tight revealing clothes as a means to score that typical successful and gullible man, but once they are married, she eats Pringles everyday, skips work, wears pajamas, and watches Rickie Lake.
That is stark causality at work. It takes all kinds to make up existence, and each is actually quite unique.
I agree, we should not criticize someone’s uniqueness, however anti-social behaviors that are absolutely wrong need to be striped away, and whatever is left is the uniqueness itself.
Last edited by Ryan Rudolph on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Ryan wrote:
Although, Quinn points out some of UG’s blatant flaws and imperfections, his judgment is a little too harsh. For instance: Quinn states that UG didn’t understand masculinity and femininity, but I don’t know. There is evidence that he understood the dangers of femininity. He got married and had children, but he eventually abandoned his wife and children totally. And there are a few stories of women that tried to get close to UG by serving him, and he kicked them out in quite a nasty manner. So he had a strong masculine side. Overall, he possessed some level of clarity, but he was a little rough around the edges. UG was like the 'mutt' of enlighenment. So I agree with Quinn that he could have refined some of his behaviors, but the criticism is a little too intense in terms of some of the conclusions derived.
I was young and reckless when I wrote that. I've mellowed a bit since then. Nowadays I think of him as someone who became too comfortable with his attainments and who therefore squandered the opportunity to go further.

I agree, U.G did understand the limitations of logical deduction.

Ah, so that was why he failed to apply logic more deeply in his own life? I thought there must have been a reason.

It's always the same story. Blunt the power of logic in one's own mind, make it relatively ineffective, and then preach to the world the great truth that logic is limited in its scope as though it were a profound fact of the Universe.

The cunning of the ego knows no bounds.

-