The Terror of Youtube

Post questions or suggestions here.
Trevor Salyzyn

The Terror of Youtube

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

They're showcasing a new feature at Somethingawful. I will have nightmares tonight.

(On the last page, they have a perfect candidate for the Reasoning Show. He says something like "may God give me the strength to respond to this post with wisdom." Show of hands: how many people here ask God for guidance before making a post?)

New Media Hell
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

I didn't go through all of that - but the page you linked to, the first one with a youtube screen on it, what was with that girl picking her nose repeatedly on camera? And one of the first "things" she mentioned that she could not live without was her boyfriend, and showed a picture of him - claiming she wouldn't be who she is today without him. He made her someone who would broadcast video of herself picking her nose over the internet?
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:I didn't go through all of that - but the page you linked to, the first one with a youtube screen on it, what was with that girl picking her nose repeatedly on camera? And one of the first "things" she mentioned that she could not live without was her boyfriend, and showed a picture of him - claiming she wouldn't be who she is today without him. He made her someone who would broadcast video of herself picking her nose over the internet?
If he has made her what she is today I suggest he go to the local police station and asked to be incarcerated for the rest of natural life.
acid

Post by acid »

YouTube sucks!
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

YouTube is pretty useful for finding a lot of media in one place. I can't say I've ever watched the individually-produced "journal" sort of things, though. I did try that bald-headed guy with the glasses for a minute or two once, but I found nothing of any interest in it. I don't see the appeal of "reality TV" either on traditional broadcasting or on YouTube. I hate to be an elitist prick about it, but for me, it's uninteresting people watching uninteresting people. It's neither their fault or my own that through the genetic lottery, I was born with a considerably more functional brain, which makes watching mediocre things like that difficult. My loss, I guess.
I live in a tub.
Nordicvs

Post by Nordicvs »

I avoid it because it's popular.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

I don't think that's a good reason to avoid something. Self-conscious non-conformism is really conformism in disguise.
I live in a tub.
Nordicvs

Post by Nordicvs »

Unidian wrote:I don't think that's a good reason to avoid something. Self-conscious non-conformism is really conformism in disguise.
Oh, it probably seems that way. The masculine resists, and once you're in tune with that over a decade or two, you develop a second nature, get a feel for trends and the results of those trends, and so instinctively avoid what most people are doing (because you know it's herd behaviour, mindless orthodoxy, and ultimately unwise).
Jason

Post by Jason »

Nordicvs wrote:I avoid it because it's popular.
Me too.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Unidian wrote:
I don't think that's a good reason to avoid something. Self-conscious non-conformism is really conformism in disguise.
I agree. Although YouTube is mostly crap, I’ve actually found some interesting interviews, documentaries and other informative videos of interest on there. It is quite revolutionary really; a free video sharing service in real time. A very significant technological development indeed. I haven’t been that impressed since I first discovered the FTP server back in the early 90s, although torrent file trading has largely replaced it.

Check this site out, it's an interesting invention, its a game called Mindball.
Katy

Post by Katy »

I don't think one can say "youtube is bad" or "youtube is good" or whatever. OK I have no interest in 99% of the stuff on there, but there is still good stuff on there, and I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

And also, that biofeedback stuff is pretty cool. I haven't seen the one for two players but my friend has a game on his computer that you have to alternately calm and excite yourself to do various things. I suck at it... but it's cool.
-Katy
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

I have a slow computer so I can't watch youtube. I'm not even sure what it is. Little film clips I take it.
Good Citizen Carl
Katy

Post by Katy »

Carl G wrote:I have a slow computer so I can't watch youtube. I'm not even sure what it is. Little film clips I take it.
yeah, somtimes little, sometimes not so little... I managed to find the entirity of a broadway musical once... The thing about it that makes it interesting (imo) is that they've come up with a way to host videos where I can hit pause and let it load and watch the whole thing at once instead of having to constantly wait for my computer to "buffer" - a process that takes twice as much time as the actual video for any video I watch that's not on youtube... since my net connection sucks.
-Katy
Nordicvs

Post by Nordicvs »

Carl G wrote:I have a slow computer so I can't watch youtube. I'm not even sure what it is. Little film clips I take it.
You're not missing a thing. Unless you're into ADD versions of America's Funniest Home videos, attention-starved bimbos strutting about in front of their webcams, and other such examples of modern human's remarkable intelligence. (Basically, if you get a woody over pop-culture and can't get enough TBS and CNN on your TV, then you must get a faster computer ASAP!)
Katy

Post by Katy »

It has its uses.
I stumbled upon a site today that had organized links to youtube videos of all the candidates for president organized by topic... maybe people will like have the attention span to listen to a couple videos before they vote - that would be a significant improvement...
-Katy