Enlightened Man Has Question

Post questions or suggestions here.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Greg Shantz wrote:
I did a lip-synch to that song in an air band when I was in the thrid grade.
A couple of girls developed a masochistic father fixation towards me in third grade, and they clung onto my legs pretending to be infants, and demanded I parade around the school yard showing everyone.

It was rather awkward, I couldn’t understand why they would want to do such a thing, I knew it was weird, however I couldn’t articulate it then, but if I had the awareness, I probably would have said “you girls are a strange animal, that’s what I know…”

Gowan’s songs: Strange Animal and Criminal Mind had that strange 80s sound to them, but when he made a comeback in the 90s, he was less philosophical and more conventional.

In the nineties he used his full name and produced the song below. the guitar is okay in parts, but the lyrics are weak. He looks more like a family man here, his wife probably told him to stop writing such weird music.

Lawerence Gowan – When There’s Time for Love
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

unwise wrote:Never mind 'quantum.' A computer will never be self aware. It doesn't matter how fantastically complex it is. Why is this? In other words, if the most sophisticated computer a million years from now will not be self aware, then how does the brain make one self aware? Does it?
I actually agree here, If I am interpreting it correctly. The same can be said for humans. How can you prove to me that they are self aware? What are they aware of?

I think it is assumed in scientific circles (taken for granted?) that humans are self aware and computers are somehow different. I see no evidence for either, outside of the differences in physical building material. Both materials process, but on what do they reflect?
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

One can never know for sure if another is self-aware. On the deepest levels, only the Sage is self-aware.

I don't mean self-aware like a dog or your average human being- having just a whiff of their existence, driven more by bodily self-preservation, but rather being aware of that immortal being which transcends all dualistic notions of self in existence contra others.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Good point, chaps. Man, like computer, is a machine. And very few humans transcend the automaton level, or even have the potential to do so.
Good Citizen Carl
unwise

Post by unwise »

Goddamn, there are amazing thoughts going on here. Really, I am impressed. Jamesh, what the hell has happened to you? You are a heavy motherfucker these days. Damn. David made an excellent point too. Really, all of you said something that amused me and tickled my funny bone. I mean to address all this because it is important.

I've been busy chilling. I'm still in Waikiki. I wanted to see Don Ho tonight since it's my birthday. I guess I'll take in another lounge lizard. Man, I just love life. I feel love all the time. What an amazing world we have here.

Goddamn Ozzies all over Hawaii. How did they get here? They are some loud brazen and pushy mo fos. They all think they have all the answers. They all want to force themselves on me and talk. They have no concept of personal boundaries. I ignore them which creates deep cognitive dissonance. You know how to torture and Ozzy? Just tape his mouth shut for an hour.

I've been busy with my blog. I should put the link up here. I take lots of pics everyday and write about what I have seen and thought about each day. I need to address some of this crap here. Fantastic stuff.

I really love you people. It's a swell community. I'm happy to be a part of your global family.

Mahalo.
AbsentMinded

explain...?

Post by AbsentMinded »

Unwise, are you going to share your theories with use, or is everyone else in here right?
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Goddamn Ozzies all over Hawaii. How did they get here?
On a raft?