Merry Insanity!

Post questions or suggestions here.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

David,

I totally agree.

Perhaps I have overestimated the power of cars.

I do, however stick to my premise that it is not Santa per se, but obviously the promoters of this red-suited fiction at the root of this insidious programming of young minds.
Good Citizen Carl
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

From what I understand, the red-and-white suit of Santa was originally derived from the colours of Coke-Cola, as part of a deliberate marketing device. So there you have it, the grandfather God of populist Christianity draped in corporate clothing whispering materialistic thoughts to children on his knees, with their parents smiling and waving in the background.

-
DHodges

Keep the X in Xmas!

Post by DHodges »

Last year I bailed out of Christmas kind of at the last minute. I wasn't completely sure if it was really a philosophical objection, or just an attack of the Scroogies, but in the end decided I didn't feel right about it, and should not participate.

Some gifts had already been purchased, some already wrapped... they are still sitting there in the floor of my closet.
David Quinn wrote:From what I understand, the red-and-white suit of Santa was originally derived from the colours of Coke-Cola, as part of a deliberate marketing device.
According to Snopes, that's only partially correct. Coke apparently popularized an already-existing image... but certainly put the bottle of Coca-Cola in his hand.
Iolaus

Post by Iolaus »

The red and white colors of Christmas probably come from the amanita muscaria mushroom.

Go here: http://www.jamesarthur.net/mm_01.html

Lots of text, but just scroll down and look at the pix.
Truth is a pathless land.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

St. Claus

Being it the 5th of December I thought I should post a bit about Santa today. Isn't it common knowledge much of Santa Claus is derived from St. Nicholas tradition, a celebration of the death of a Catholic saint where someone dresses up as an ancient bishop, in red and white, rides a white horse and has a black servant?

Anyway tonight in the Netherlands most people are celebrating it, as they did for centuries, and give each other presents, while claiming St. Nicholas brought them, and eating or sharing lots of candy and food.

My own theory of the origin of St. Nicholas myths as well as the Santa hybrid character revolve around a merge of certain archetypes which are connected to the sage.

Check out St. Nicholas his origin:
- he had refused his mother's breast on (good) Friday.
- liberated from his worldly possessions
- destroying the temple of Artemis
- saving people from claws of death/poverty
- reflects elements from Pythagorean philosopher Apollonius,

Then add Wodan's white horse and having a black companion (Black Peter) for proper duality, and of course carrying a Book and a (shepherd's) curled staff.

Now check out the Santa hybrid which I propose has partly its origins or similarities within the fairy traditions and some traditions of the far East: the laughing fat Buddha.

A society that worships consumption and 'size' will of course gravitate to the hybrid because of him being jolly and fat, added with the pyrotechnics of the sledge (American car symbol) and fairy-like companions, or in other words: the tendency not to be grounded in reality resulting in a focus on a seperated 'supernatural'.

Even in the Netherlands St. Nicholas slowly gets overtaken by Santa though, some families celebrate both with double shopping involved. In the near future they will meet on the streets and have to battle for the attention from the kids.

To summarize: I believe Santa and St. Nicolas are both modern faery-like distortions of the archetype of the savior-sage. Modern day version of Jesus and Buddha but ripped of any message apart from the most basic morality, while instead of food for the soul they supply materialist eye-candy. As icon they are a modern vision of the sage and a distorted, buried wish for the miracle of truth to set us free.

Like the truth about what does and doesn't really exist.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Well, here's one way to set kids straight about the Christmas spirit.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I'm trying hard to see the funny side of that story but I don't think there is one.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Nothing funny at all - but I bet that kid won't grow up to give in to the materialism of Christmas.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Hmm, that's probably debatable, but I would bet that he'll grow up hating his mother. I don't mean to rail against single mothers here but that was totally lame of her (unless he is just totally out of control in which case he arguably should not be in her care at all). Too many single mothers expect others to do their parenting for them. Ordinarily, in a case such as that, the parent would punish the child by denying the present to them for their breach of the sanctity of the etiquette of Xmas.

But I guess this is what happens when you have children having children. One can but hope that he is an only child.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Yes, the mother was only 15 when she had him, but I think you hit a bigger point with some people expecting others to raise their children for them. Bigger still seems to be that some Americans seem to not really understand what the police are for.

Schools use the police to a ridiculous degree with children also. I went looking for one news article I remembered from recently when a 2nd grader was arrested for throwing a temper tantrum in school, but instead I found a list of other incidents. Here's a Florida 5th grader arrested for bringing a red-capped plastic gun to school,........ an 11 year old girl in Texas was arrested for shoving another 11 year old girl,......... More than 4,500 kids 11 and under were charged with crimes in Florida in 2000 - it seems the youngest one was 3 years old (yes, three) for suspected arson.

Obviously thinking has become vastly underrated...

****edited to put more space between the links*****
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I don't think I need to read those stories to get the idea. I mean, to be fair, parents (and/or teachers) sometimes need help for various reasons, but things have become ridiculous. What is worse, though, is that the poilce appear obliged to act and to charge instead of merely talking and issuing warnings (as might a father figure). What the hell is the point of charging a 3 year old with anything? Or even an 8 or 10 years old for that matter. In the latter case the age of reason is only just dawning. No wonder police have no time to solve real crime!

Some of these adults should be charged with wasting police time.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Dan Rowden wrote:I don't think I need to read those stories to get the idea. I mean, to be fair, parents (and/or teachers) sometimes need help for various reasons, but things have become ridiculous. What is worse, though, is that the poilce appear obliged to act and to charge instead of merely talking and issuing warnings (as might a father figure). What the hell is the point of charging a 3 year old with anything? Or even an 8 or 10 years old for that matter. In the latter case the age of reason is only just dawning. No wonder police have no time to solve real crime!

Some of these adults should be charged with wasting police time.
But the police do have the option of issuing a warning, as anyone living on a college campus knows. More than half of the underaged drinking cases get "warnings"

At any rate, this appears to be a ridiculous case, but bringing a toy gun to school, even one with a cap, it depends really on what one intends to do with it. Scare someone? Have it in your pocket with the tip pointed down, and you can do some damage especially in a place where people have to be hyper cautious, and have reason to be so. At any rate, kids have had real weapons, even guns, on school property and have been expelled rather than arrested, so I suspect there is something about this case that we just aren't being told.
-Rory
Blair

Post by Blair »

Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

Umm...wow. Damn.
NLPRN

Post by NLPRN »

I'm not a big fan of Christmas but as DQ pointed out it does appear to serve a purpose for the masses as a spiritual control. I prefer to liken it along with many mainstream beliefs as fast-food for the soul.

A different take on a Christmas classic: Charlie Brown Christmas (Islamic version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ANsrg_2pQ