Tips for using this forum

Post questions or suggestions here.
Kevin Solway

Tips for using this forum

Post by Kevin Solway »

Tips for using the forum:

1. There are two ways to reply to a post:
  • a: Click on the "post reply" button. This will give you an entire topic review at the bottom of the page.
    b: Click on "quote" to reply to a specific message, quoting the message and the poster's user name. You can then delete the parts of the message you don't want to quote.
2. Change your personal settings via the "Profile" link near the top of the page.

3. You can set an image to appear to the left of your posts using the "Avatar control panel" in your Profile page. These should be small (60 x 60 pixels).

4. You can use a signature, but please use just your name. (No quotations, graphics, etc)

5. You can search all the posts in the forum using the link at the top of the page.

6. You can send personal messages using the link near the top.

7. For writing larger posts, it is recommended you use a separate editor. For example, the freeware "Forum Post Editor Lite" will work with posts for this forum. It enables you to compose long posts offline, and save them to your hard drive.

8. You can check your spelling before you post with the free IESpell add-on for Internet Exporer, or using the free google toolbar.
Robert

Re: Tips for using this forum

Post by Robert »

Kevin Solway wrote:1. There are two ways to reply to a post:
a: Click on the "post reply" button. This will give you an entire topic review at the bottom of the page.
b: Click on "quote" to reply to a specific message, quoting the message and the poster's user name. You can then delete the parts of the message you don't want to quote.
As an extension to b: if you only want to quote a specific part of someone else's post in your response, when posting your reply first select the text that interests you, then click on the "quote" button. The selected text with the all the proper quote tags are then placed into your response box. You can do this as many times as you like, and is useful for larger posts where you may want to respond to various individual points successively without having to delete or modify the parts of the poster's text you don't want.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Robert wrote:As an extension to b: if you only want to quote a specific part of someone else's post in your response, when posting your reply first select the text that interests you, then click on the "quote" button. The selected text with the all the proper quote tags are then placed into your response box. You can do this as many times as you like, and is useful for larger posts where you may want to respond to various individual points successively without having to delete or modify the parts of the poster's text you don't want.
Whoa, Robert! You didn't explain this very well, but I figured out what you meant. If you want to quote just a part, the FIRST thing you do is hit the POSTREPLY button, THEN select the text that interests you, etc. You want the response box open first.

I didn't know this.

Two thousand fucking posts later, I finally know the easy way to quote.

Thanks, Robert! Holy shit! Just goes to show I ain't no friggin' genius!
Robert

Post by Robert »

Yeah, you're right, I should've explained it a little better, and it's more an extension to a: than it is to b:, but hey ho.
Glad you find it useful.

I found this function by pure chance one day... Well, not really pure chance, there were infinite causal factors involved ;)
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

brokenhead wrote:the FIRST thing you do is hit the POSTREPLY button, THEN select the text that interests you, etc. You want the response box open first.
That's useful. I didn't know that either.