It depends what you mean by "worldly".

This is a waste of a thread.
millipodium

Post by millipodium »

ksolway wrote:
Isn't Genius a worldly matter?
It depends what you mean by "worldly".

This is a waste of a thread.
I'd say you're just overly attached to the concept of "significance". Besides, there's no finite supply of threads, is there.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

I agree this is a waste of a thread. If you want to engage in some genuine discussion, millipodium, then you need to post something of substance, hopefully supported by reasoned argument.

Acting like a troll and simply trying to push people's buttons isn't going to cut it.

-
millipodium

Post by millipodium »

DavidQuinn000 wrote:I agree this is a waste of a thread. If you want to engage in some genuine discussion, millipodium, then you need to post something of substance, hopefully supported by reasoned argument.

Acting like a troll and simply trying to push people's buttons isn't going to cut it.

-
This is a serious query. I think genius is ultimate honesty about how the world works and is thus, worldly. Don't hate my reality ripping genius, david.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

millipodium wrote:Besides, there's no finite supply of threads, is there.
There's a finite amount of space on people's screens to display threads, and there is a finite amount of time in people's lives to read them.

For that reason a low-quality thread is a waste of people's lives.
I think genius is ultimate honesty about how the world works and is thus, worldly.
"Worldly", as it is used on this board, means dishonesty - the opposite of genius. It describes the way people try to justify their loves, their religions, their fears, their work, etc. It is also used to mean any subject that is not directly related to the path to enlightenment.
millipodium

Post by millipodium »

ksolway wrote:
millipodium wrote:Besides, there's no finite supply of threads, is there.
There's a finite amount of space on people's screens to display threads, and there is a finite amount of time in people's lives to read them.

For that reason a low-quality thread is a waste of people's lives.
I think genius is ultimate honesty about how the world works and is thus, worldly.
"Worldly", as it is used on this board, means dishonesty - the opposite of genius. It describes the way people try to justify their loves, their religions, their fears, their work, etc. It is also used to mean any subject that is not directly related to the path to enlightenment.
That's a unique definition. If you want a buddhist board, you should just abandon the pretense that you respect rationality. Buddhism is a religion too, with unproved and supernatural assertions, just like any other.

check this out: http://www.hermitary.com/forum/
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

millipodium wrote:If you want a buddhist board . . .
I think you will find that Buddhists believe in things like reincarnation, rituals, guru yoga, chanting mantras, sitting with legs crossed, etc. We don't believe in those things here.
millipodium

Post by millipodium »

ksolway wrote:
millipodium wrote:If you want a buddhist board . . .
I think you will find that Buddhists believe in things like reincarnation, rituals, guru yoga, chanting mantras, sitting with legs crossed, etc. We don't believe in those things here.
So you speak for the group?

That attachment is the root of all suffering is straight up buddhism.

You know, k, honesty is the beginning of genius.
millipodium

Post by millipodium »

If not buddhists, i would consider most to be nondenominational nihilists.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

millipodium wrote:That attachment is the root of all suffering is straight up buddhism.
I would prefer to say that ignorance is the root of all suffering. Attachment is merely a consequence of ignorance.

Yes, this is indeed a teaching of Buddhism, but I think it is also common sense.
If not buddhists, i would consider most to be nondenominational nihilists.
Personally I encourage the cultivation of strong values and discriminating judgement. But it is true that many people are relativists and nihilists.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Misplaced thread

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Quote:

Quote:
Well, I can already tell I'm going to have fun here. It appears that we have two definitions of "worldly" and I would like to go with the definitions in the dictionary whenever possible. My dictionary describes worldly as pertaining to the world, and I do think that genius pertains to matters both in and out of the world.

A wasted thread? I don't think so, but I do think that it is a terribly misplaced thread as the welcome post stated
[Please note, this is essentially an admin forum. Do not post here other than in the "Help Desk" thread. Thankyou.]
Kevin Solway

Re: Misplaced thread

Post by Kevin Solway »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:My dictionary describes worldly as pertaining to the world
Not the most useful definition, without a definiton of "world".
. . . but I do think that it is a terribly misplaced thread . . .
Fixed!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Personally I encourage the cultivation of strong values and discriminating judgement. But it is true that many people are relativists and nihilists.

Are the QRS relativists? To not be seems delusional to me.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

I am a relativist where it is appropriate to be a relativist, and an absolutist where it is appropriate to be an absolutist.

-
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Jamesh wrote:Are the QRS relativists? To not be seems delusional to me.
It depends on your definition of "relativist".

Commonly, relativism disputes absolutism, but does so in an absolutist way, thus undermining itself.

For example, it says "everything is relative", but believes "everything is relative" to be absolutely true.

If "everything is relative" were only relatively true, then it might be true to only one person in the entire universe - if any at all.

So the correct position is to be relative about those things which are relative, and absolute about those things that are absolute.
millipodium

Post by millipodium »

Ahh. Kevin got jealous of my centrally placed thread. How cute.
millipodium

Post by millipodium »

How terrible can a misplaced thread be?
Elizabeth Isabelle

Kevin wrote:
So the correct position is to be relative about those things which are relative, and absolute about those things that are absolute.
I agree
David wrote:
I am a relativist where it is appropriate to be a relativist, and an absolutist where it is appropriate to be an absolutist.
I think there's some agreement forming on this point.
Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:
My dictionary describes worldly as pertaining to the world

Kevin responded:
Not the most useful definition, without a definiton of "world".
I'll take that point (as no definition is useful without knowing the meanings of the words in the definition).
Elizabeth Isabelle

millipodium:
How terrible can a misplaced thread be?
Awful. Dastardly. Heinous. Horrific. A highly regrettable misdeed indeed. Really rather tragic. Terrible, quite terrible. Terribly terrible. Atrocious, even. Pitifully shameful, yet shamefully pitiful. Doubtlessly beyond reprehension. Possibly treasonous. Appalling. Horribly ghastly and horrendous.
Elizabeth Isabelle

I left out "insufferable."
GrandInquisitor

Worldly matters

Post by GrandInquisitor »

I would prefer to say that ignorance is the root of all suffering.
Could you be any more wrong?
Found Child
millipodium

Post by millipodium »

David Quinn wrote:I am a relativist where it is appropriate to be a relativist, and an absolutist where it is appropriate to be an absolutist.

-
david, I would be failing you if I allowed you to get by with sloppy thoughtsmanship such as this. This is crap.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

millipodium wrote:
David Quinn wrote:I am a relativist where it is appropriate to be a relativist, and an absolutist where it is appropriate to be an absolutist.

-
david, I would be failing you if I allowed you to get by with sloppy thoughtsmanship such as this. This is crap.
Nah, he's actually saying he can't be captured in a term like relativist or absolutist but is really more an appropriator, or perhaps we should introduce the nonsense word: appropianist. It's pure Tao-ism anyway.
millipodium

Post by millipodium »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
millipodium wrote:

-
Nah, he's actually saying he can't be captured in a term like relativist or absolutist but is really more an appropriator, or perhaps we should introduce the nonsense word: appropianist. It's pure Tao-ism anyway.
Wow. He's pretty gd special. So are you. ;)