Oil

Post questions or suggestions here.
DHodges

Oil

Post by DHodges »

cosmic_prostitute wrote (in the Hezbollah and Israel thread):
What is envisaged is to link the BTC pipeline to the Trans-Israel Eilat-Ashkelon pipeline, also known as Israel's Tipline, from Ceyhan to the Israeli port of Ashkelon. In April 2006, Israel and Turkey announced plans for four underwater pipelines, which would bypass Syrian and Lebanese territory.
Doesn't an underwater oil pipeline seem like a particularly bad idea?

BP's current problems with pipelines in Alaska underline the need for pipelines to be periodically inspected and maintained, which would be more difficult (I would think, not being an engineer) under water.

Also, an underwater pipeline seems like it would be a fairly easy target for anyone with a submarine - or just some divers with a bomb - and a lack of concern for polluting the ocean. Wouldn't the political implications of these pipelines virtually guarantee that they would eventually become a guerrilla target?
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

yes, dumb move by the west. However what that article suggests is that because this project promises billions of dollars in revenue for the western allies (Turkey, Israsel, US, Britain)... Israsel has agreed to babysit the pipeline with a military presence.

The pipeline accomplishes two things. On the one hand it makes the western allies filthy rich and it also weakens the economies of Russia, China, Syra and Iran.

If a WW3 was to break out, it would be over oil in the middle-east region and the parties involved would be:

US, Britain, Turkey and Israsel, Canada, - Western Allies

Russia, China, Iran and Syria. - Communists and Arabs.

Perhaps or maybe not, that is just my theory based on the present tensions and the networks of allies that are forming over the dispute in energy resources.

I have this theory that perhaps the emphasize on the Hezabollah through the western media is just a smoke screen to hide the fact that an eleborate plan has been set in effect to bring down the arabs and the communists.

America's economy is suffering and has been for the last 8-9 years. And in relationship to that China's economy has been growing like a wildfire.

America has too much pride to fall without a fight, I think this latest pipeline alliance is the desperate attempt to weaken China's economy and weaken Russia, Iran and Syria as an added bonus.
Diebert van Rhijn

Turning oil into water

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

It's tempting to talk about oil conspiracies, since oil trading and pricing is so complex that many theories easily go unchallenged for a long time.

What many people do not know is that wars are also still fought over water. And that water and the control over it, is an important part of the historical conflict between Israel, Palestina and Lebanon.

Sheba'a Farms: Much Ado About Nothing?
The fact that these lands were used as farms is a clue to one reason Israel prefers the Sheba'a Farms to remain officially Syrian, and thus under Israeli control – the water. Although the land also provides a convenient overlook from which the Israelis can watch military activity in Lebanon, control of water has long driven much of Israeli policy toward her neighbors. Many, including former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, have acknowledged the water origins of the Six Day War that brought Sheba'a Farms under Israeli control, and as recently as 2002 Israel almost declared war on Lebanon for diverting water from the Wazzani Springs to border villages. Now, it seems that Sheba'a Farms will stymie the peace process, and the reason could very well be the water.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Diebert wrote:
It's tempting to talk about oil conspiracies, since oil trading and pricing is so complex that many theories easily go unchallenged for a long time.

What many people do not know is that wars are also still fought over water. And that water and the control over it, is an important part of the historical conflict between Israel, Palestina and Lebanon.
Yes, it would be incomplete to reduce this conflict down to oil. Obviously it is multidimensional.

so is it fair to say that generally humans start conflicts over natural resources/territory/money and differences in personal beliefs/race?

it all comes back down to power/security.

This is why I suspect countries becoming more diverse with different types of races is a benefit to humanity compared to countries that are comprised of one race.

There is a lower probability of large scale conflicts.
Leyla Shen

TURNING WATER INTO WINE

Post by Leyla Shen »

What a surprising post from you, Diebert. I am inclined to simply assume I have completely misinterpreted the point of what otherwise looks to me like a red herring.

Clearly, if Israel is going to expand, it must usurp whatever local water resources it can.

Please explain why you would attempt to turn oil into water?

Diebert van Rhijn

Re: TURNING WATER INTO WINE

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Leyla Shen wrote:What a surprising post from you, Diebert. I am inclined to simply assume I have completely misinterpreted the point of what otherwise looks to me like a red herring.
Well, my post wasn't meant to make 'it all about water' now, if that's what you mean. The purpose was to show the relevancy of a rather small disputed area that is currently the main reason Hezbollah still looks at Israel as a force of occupation. The Palestinians have similar conflicts: water means life and business.
Clearly, if Israel is going to expand, it must usurp whatever local water resources it can.
Only a radical faction desires the expansion you refer to. Most are happy to just survive and flourish in the boundaries established by the UN. But business is war too, like war is business for some. For another example think about Kuwait stealing oil from Iraq, which made Saddam decide to invade. To my knowing the stealing was actually happening, and combined with the financial stranghold Kuwait had on Iraq, his invasion became a way to survive.

Israel is doing fine and needs no expansion but it does want to keep its local adversaries weak and divided. Perhaps 'drying them out' on many levels? But all Hebrew tribes have this inclination to stubbornly survive and keep fighting for what they believe in. It's one great incestuous drama over there.
Leyla Shen

US & ISRAEL: OIL & WATER

Post by Leyla Shen »

Diebert wrote:
Well, my post wasn't meant to make 'it all about water' now, if that's what you mean. The purpose was to show the relevancy of a rather small disputed area that is currently the main reason Hezbollah still looks at Israel as a force of occupation. The Palestinians have similar conflicts: water means life and business.

I would say that if it is considered the main reason, that’s pretty much making it all about water -- isn’t it?
Only a radical faction desires the expansion you refer to.

Desires? You mean has achieved, don’t you?

"The Dune Messiah?"
* 75% of the Occupied West Bank & Gaza Strip renewable water resources are used by Israel.

* Three million Palestinians are allowed to use 250 million cubic meters per annum (83 cubic meters for each Palestinian per year) while six million Israelis enjoy the use of 2.0 billion cubic meters (333 cubic meter for each Israeli per year), which means that one Israeli consumes as much water as do four Palestinians. Each Israeli settler is allocated 1,450cubic meters of water per year.

* The World Health Organization's recognized minimum of domestic water consumption is 100 liters per capita per day. The current domestic water supply for Palestinians is only 57-76 liters per capita per day.
Diebert wrote:
Israel is doing fine and needs no expansion but it does want to keep its local adversaries weak and divided.
Yes, Israel is doing just fine and dandy. Isn’t it the issue of such fineness that’s in question?
But all Hebrew tribes have this inclination to stubbornly survive and keep fighting for what they believe in. It's one great incestuous drama over there.
Yes. So, would you consider the US as an Hebrew tribe as its only staunch supporter? Or are we merely waiting for the second coming of Christ once this is all over?