You may be a victim of Software Counterfeiting.

Post questions or suggestions here.
Ryan Rudolph

You may be a victim of Software Counterfeiting.

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Bill Gates is a cheeseball.

I recently updated my windows XP only to discover that Gates has introduced a new feature that detects when users are using pirated versions of XP.

So now I'm stuck with this little icon on my taskbar that says: "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting"

Of course I'm a victim, I choose to be a victim. The real victims are the ones that actually go out and buy the software especially when 75% of Gate's operating system is stolen from other companies anyhow.

The guy has nerve, I think Gates needs an update on his computer that has a little icon in the corner of his screen that reads: "I am an immoral greedy coward who ripped off and put out of business dozens of companies who got within 10 feet of Microsoft"

I think Gates needs to have a few more ethical conversations with BONO before he whips out the moral smuckdown on his users.
Last edited by Ryan Rudolph on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

I think it's funny for someone who steals things to call someone running a business immoral.

Just something to think about...
- Scott
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Scott wrote:
I think it's funny for someone who steals things to call someone running a business immoral.
You’re not seeing the whole picture here Scott, I am moral because I steal from Bill Gates. Gates is only a billionare because he has left a trail of victims throughout his climb to power. He put countless companies out of business by stealing their ideas, he is not someone that should be supported financially, rather he is someone that should lose power.

Naturally, this is why many ethical companies have emerged within the last few years to end Microsoft's Monopoly. Google and Firefox are two examples of companies that have introduced free software to users simply as a means to displace Bill Gate's complete control over the industry.
Last edited by Ryan Rudolph on Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

I can't imagine you, of all people here, has a reason to run some illegal copy of Windows XP. So indeed you choose to be victim, and a parasite as well. There are so many dozens of free operating systems, mostly Linux based, that you could use if you want to support free and open source software.

In a way you are worse than those millions of people who got ripped off by paying for it, worse even than Gates who crushed other companies to get where he wanted to be. Because this didn't cost you anything, hardly an effort even to run the extra mile to install software that was really 'free' and still you sound like you think you have done something right.

Nah CP, you are the loser in this game and the only thing you have to show is resentment.
DHodges

The Other White Meat

Post by DHodges »

I've gone Mac, myself - at home, at least. I haven't seen a downside to the move.

At work, I have to use what they have, which is of course properly licensed.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Diebert wrote:
Nah CP, you are the loser in this game and the only thing you have to show is resentment.
I’m too lazy to use Linux, I grow up on Windows, used 3.1 all the way up. The only resentment I have is that I have to stare at this stupid little icon at the bottom of my screen that says “I am a counterfeiter”. And this is coming from a billionaire smuck who stole his way to the top, so perhaps there’s a little emotion here, but then again this incident just occured so the emotional involvement will fade away very soon.

Moreover it's actually quite ironic now that I think about it because I am a victim of software counterfeiting, but only because of the resentment and not the actual counterfeiting, humorous.
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

CP,
You’re not seeing the whole picture here Scott, I am moral because I steal from Bill Gates.
Like Robin Hood?

At least Robin Hood gave to the poor. All you do is use your stolen goods for your own benefit. I think you should earn some money and purchase the program yourself.
Gates is only a billionare because he has left a trail of victims throughout his climb to power. He put countless companies out of business by stealing their ideas, he is not someone that should be supported financially, rather he is someone that should lose power.
So, you are helping him lose power by using a jacked copy of his program? It doesn't make sense, CP. It would make more sense to start your own Microsoft type corporation, but have the principle running the corporation be integrity. That way, no one would want to overrun you.

Really, your excuse is poor. If you want someone to become moral, then you have to become moral first.
Naturally, this is why many ethical companies have emerged within the last few years to end Microsoft's Monopoly. Google and Firefox are two examples of companies that have introduced free software to users simply as a means to displace Bill Gate's complete control over the industry.
It's good that there are ethical companies which have the chance to do better than unethical companies...but look at your ethics here. Also, look at your plan of attack against Mr. Gates. First of all, it won't do anything. Second of all, if it did something, you'd be just as bad as the person you overran for being bad.

So just be good. Work to earn the money and buy the program.
- Scott
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Scott wrote:
Like Robin Hood?
you are really starting to make sense now, you’re right, I just realized that I'm a modern day Robin Hood.

Scott wrote:
At least Robin Hood gave to the poor.
You’re right Scott, I have passion to do something now, my local city has a weekly soup kitchen for the homeless, I think I’ll go down there this weekend and start a booth next to the soap kitchen to give free copies of pirated software to the homeless people on the streets.

Scott wrote:
I think you should earn some money and purchase the program yourself.
Usually conventional opinions do nothing for me, but this time I’m deeply moved.

Scott wrote:
It would make more sense to start your own Microsoft type corporation.
Perhaps you I can do it, we could be the biggest software company in the world…hahahahahha, wait, you don’t have any programming experience do ya? Cause I don’t know what the hell is going on when it comes to programming, that could hold us back Scott.

Scott wrote:
So just be good.
Simple words, but a wise message.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

William "Bill" Gates Junior ... is one of the hippest humans i've ever met.

He ain't no 'reptilian shape-shifter (from Mars') or what have you. Only had about 12-23 encounters with Gates's' clan ... unable to produce male offspring has him going to some (artificial sem) place where no*one talks / (recognizes) anybody been anywhere.

So down-to-earth one would never know his side.

The first-meeting with either Bush or Gates

had
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

William "Bill" Gates Junior ... is one of the hippest humans i've ever met.

He ain't no 'reptilian shape-shifter (from Mars') or what have you. Only had about 12-23 encounters with Gates's' clan ... unable to produce male offspring has him going to some (artificial sem) place where no*one talks / (recognizes) anybody been anywhere.

So down-to-earth one would never know his side.

The first-meeting with either Bush or Gates

had
Shardrol

Re: You may be a victim of Software Counterfeiting.

Post by Shardrol »

cosmic_prostitute wrote:Bill Gates is a cheeseball.

I recently updated my windows XP only to discover that Gates has introduced a new feature that detects when users are using pirated versions of XP.

So now I'm stuck with this little icon on my taskbar that says: "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting"
I'm sorry to have to tell you it's all your own fault, Mr Prostitute. You shouldn't let Windows automatically update itself, you should have chosen the option where it asks you first if you want to download & install each update & then you could have simply not installed the one (clearly marked) that checks to see if you have an authorized copy. This is what I did. It tried to trick me into installing it several times but ha ha ha, I outfoxed it. And I even have a legal copy of Windows XP. It came with the computer.
Diebert van Rhijn

cosmic_prostitute wrote:
I’m too lazy to use Linux, I grow up on Windows, used 3.1 all the way up.
Nah, you're behind the times man! Installing and using the current versions of Linux or OSX is nowadays way more easier and straightforward than Windows ever will be. And I've installed many hundreds of Windows as well as Linux machines in my life!

Give it a try! You can become a permaculturist in your PC life this way as well :) Try out Ubuntu Linux, the Linux for 'human beings'.

Download the correct image (iso-)file, create a CD from it.

If that's too much work, it's no excuse! They ship the CD for free on request.

Of course behind this lurks another rich guy, Mark Shuttleworth, and you might have found another excuse to remain a slave of Microsoft's policies. And let yourself be spoiled and pandered by the perceived 'ease' of Windows and the security of using the same thing as the majority....
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Sharol wrote:
I'm sorry to have to tell you it's all your own fault, Mr Prostitute. You shouldn't let Windows automatically update itself, you should have chosen the option where it asks you first if you want to download & install each update & then you could have simply not installed the one (clearly marked) that checks to see if you have an authorized copy. This is what I did. It tried to trick me into installing it several times but ha ha ha, I outfoxed it. And I even have a legal copy of Windows XP. It came with the computer.
Well aren’t you the clever little fox gloating in the sunshine?! Good for you, that’s great, I’m proud of ya kid, keep up the good work, But remember… CP hunts fox for sport so keep your guard up…

Diebert wrote:
Give it a try! You can become a permaculturist in your PC life this way as well :) Try out Ubuntu Linux, the Linux for 'human beings'.
I’m downloading the image file now, I’ll install it on a spare machine I have here to become familiar with it, so where can you download applications? and is the selection as extensive as windows?
Diebert van Rhijn

cosmic_prostitute wrote:so where can you download applications? and is the selection as extensive as windows?
After installing simply go to Applications->Add/Remove Applications on the desktop menu system. It will let you select and download and install everything you need and is not already on the system.

If you cannot find it, you can always select Advanced and search more in detail.

If you need more, check out The Ubuntu software repository.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Diebert wrote:
After installing simply go to Applications->Add/Remove Applications on the desktop menu system. It will let you select and download and install everything you need and is not already on the system.

If you cannot find it, you can always select Advanced and search more in detail.

it sounds impressive: Integrative, free and all-inclusive. I knew of the superiority of Linux for a long time, but I have been procrastinating.
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

If you are a gamer, you are not going to find it so superior. You will most likely need an emulater which can drastically reduce frame rate.

On the other hand, you could pay for what you use rather than whining about getting caught after you stole it.

(I stole mine too but I haven't gotten caught which makes me pure as the driven snow.)
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I am of the baseless opinion - because I wouldn't know anything about anything illegal - that you can probably go start/control panel/add remove programs and uninstall the update that put that icon in your task bar along with its frequent messages.

I'm just guessing about it, of course; I could be completely wrong. It's not like I've ever done it for anyone else or the like.....

And as Shardrol said, don't let Windows update itself.

Dan